EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

Sure. Can Ertz repay his signing bonus too then?

Only leverage Ertz has is to retire.  I won’t sign a new contract doesn’t work well for an over 30 player that played poorly last year and is under contract for a year. They may try to respect his wishes to the extent they can.  The might get more in a trade with a team that wants to extend him and that takes his willingness to extend for an amount acceptable to the new team.  He so overplayed that last year that it seems unlikely he will play it right this year.  The only leverage he actually has with the Eagles, isn’t really his at all.  It’s that other players don’t restructure enough to force the Eagles to cut him for cap space savings before the start of the season.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Oh okay, so just like you have written the book on Hurts career after 4 career starts you have also written the book on Llamar's career after 3 seasons. 

Makes a lot of sense. 

Next running QB to win a Super Bowl will be the first.  And the guys who came first are phenomenally better passers than Hurts or Jackson.

And don't confuse a running QB with a QB who can run.  Russell Wilson is not a running QB, he is a QB who can run.

56 minutes ago, Solomon said:

...Why does the tunnel have to be moist? 

I had to make the tunnel as uncomfortable as possible 

Imo It’s becoming more and more obvious they didn’t draft hurts in the second round because they believed he was just going to be a good backup QB. Regardless of what caplan has said. Which really is what I and some others felt for a while. It was a safety net/insurance plan if things with wentz didn’t workout 

Imo it’s looking more and more like they believed hurts with time could become a franchise QB with time and grooming him. I believe they thought they’d have at least two years before making the decision with wentz though. The only way i thought the eagles would take a QB is if they fell in love with one, thought he was a franchise type QB with a higher ceiling then what they thought about hurts and would move up to go acquire him. Still could but maybe the eagles don’t believe they can move up to get the one they want or don’t think any of them have as good of a chance as hurts does at succeeding (not that i think that just they might believe that) 

To me the no competition is more cause they don’t want to invest a high draft pick in a QB when they did last year and believe in hurts. Additionally they really don’t have the cap space to sign or trade for a QB that’s good enough to make it a legit competition. 

also again this feels like it puts a damper on the whole it was Doug’s pick. They didn’t allow doug to pick his 53, game day actives, his coaches he wanted to keep but they somehow gave him a ton of power and sway on this pick? Yeah don’t buy it. Screams of lurie loved the kid and believed his potential could be that of someone like Wilson who they missed out on years ago. And howie made it happen. 

24 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I do hate the owner for that.  My biggest issues with this team start with Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman.  If you go back through my posts regarding Hurts you'll see that almost every time I say I'm cheering for him and I hope he turns out to be the guy.  It isn't hate to question if he can be however.  

Wentz was abysmal as I said myself.  The offense was better without him but that doesn't mean that Hurts was better statistically.  DP changed his play calling to help Hurts.  Hurts also added the spark and the threat of running (other things I alluded to).  

I've been fair in my criticisms with both quarterbacks.  I was a Wentz fan but I was also a Hurts fan while he was in college.  I think Wentz is the better pro quarterback regardless of how poorly he played last year.  I think he bounces back in Indy in a big way.  

Hurts was better statistically.  He was averaging more passing yards, more passing TDs, less interceptions, more rushing yards and more rushing yards per game. 

So I really don't know where Wentz was better statistically unless you are using completion percentage as the end all be all determining factor because Wentz didn't know how to throw the ball away when nothing was there. 

8 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

I had to make the tunnel as uncomfortable as possible 

Shouldn't the tunnel be rough and jagged so then as they push us through the orifice at the end, like some constipated turd, it's as painful as possible? 

34 minutes ago, RLC said:

Sure. Can Ertz repay his signing bonus too then?

Why should he? Game winning t.d. catch in the super bowl wasn't enough for you? 

25 minutes ago, Solomon said:

But if the tunnel is the Eagles and we're trying to squeeze our way out, wouldn't they want it dry so it hurts more for us? I feel like Howie is trying to hurt us. 

I feel like you've put way more thought into this than I have

5 minutes ago, Solomon said:

Shouldn't the tunnel be rough and jagged so then as they push us through the orifice at the end, like some constipated turd, it's as painful as possible? 

Clearly you have

8 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Wasn't the word on the street that Lurie produced crappy movies?

The knock on Jerry Jones has always been he's too involved in personnel decisions.  Jerry's way or the highway.  That's the comparison that many of us are trying to make.  Lurie is saying Hurts is my guy, now go build a team around him.

There is no conversation with the head coach saying hey coach, what guy do you want?  Who can you build a team around?  What kind of offense do you want and what quarterback fits that?  Lurie is saying, Hurts is the guy now go coach him.  I don't like that mindset from an owner.  I prefer him to own the team and let the GM and coaching staff work together to build the team.  I want Siriani to be able to say this is the guy I want and then Howie makes it happen.   

You’re buying one media guys story, hook, line and sinker during the annual period of misinformation. Every leak from the Eagles this time of year goes down like cod liver oil.

The Eagles have one QB on the roster.  They have no idea how free agency, the draft or trades are going to play out.  Want to convince the 49ers (think Cincy, who has Burrows, might not be tempted to trade down) that the Eagles won’t pick a QB leaving one to possibly drop to them?  Leak that the owner is all in on Hurts.  In the meantime, that does wonders for Hurts ego, when he is the only QB on the roster.

Don’t you remember the nastiness that Banner would leak during contract negotiations?  Howie learned from that.  The DJax gang crap?  The misogynistic Shady stuff.  Maybe even the Carson doesn’t get along well with teammates and doesn’t take coaching well stuff.  May all be true but it casts things to lessen the hit for the team with cuts or trades a player.

There is misdirection going on all the time.  That is modern marketing, whether sports, politics or business. Even religion.  Not entirely new but refined to the modern era  

How does that marketing strategy make him Jerry f’in Jones?  Rather watch a Lurie produced documentary than Jerry Jones practically dancing in the streets as his gas business parlayed natural gas shortages during the recent Texas freeze into profits.  Lurie is practically the anti-Jerry but both manipulate the media, just in different ways.

17 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Solak may well be right. 

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

I agree with you but Lurie is 100% trending to be more like JJ.  Maybe not in terms of recent success but meddling with players he wants, roster transactions and such he is beginning to be right there with him.

Didn't Lurie meddle in the Arcega-Whiteside pick?

4 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

50ve2e.jpg

33 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Saying Jalen Hurts Stinks(which I truly think he does) isnt Hate. 

This time last year he was a 3rd 4th rounder. Last September he was a "good backup" and now people in this city think hes a franchise QB 

I would say the love for Hurts is more disgusting/overwhelming than the hate 

And how many of those QBs projected to be 1st rd picks actually worked out?

21 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yeah, but why does he remind me of Dalton when he was at TCU?

8 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Apparently he knows his parents.  I think that is an assumption based on what could easily be an unrelated fact.  

54 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

It isn't hate at all.  It's the owner saying he doesn't want to bring in ANY competition for Hurts.  He's handing Hurts the starting QB position based off of 4 games.  4 games which he went 1-3, completed 51% of his passes and outside of being a running threat, provided nothing more than a struggling Carson Wentz.

Carson Wentz playing his worst football, statistically was still better than Hurts last year and Carson was trash. 

I want Hurts to be the guy.  It means we don't have to use another pick on another quarterback and we can focus on the future but I just don't see it.  I want the Eagles to have a great quarterback. At the very least however, you bring in a veteran quarterback to compete and push Jalen Hurts.

What message is this telling the team?  Carson Wentz was going to be forced to compete with Hurts for the 2021 job.  Hurts now doesn't have to compete with anyone??? In what world does that make sense?  

Unless you're going spend big resources, who can you bring in to be real competition? It's #6 or bust.

And there's a problem with "competition," there's a reason the #1 QB gets the lion's share of pre-season snaps, have a real competition and you'll slow the development of both QBs. Which is why it makes more sense to choose your QB, see if he swims or sinks, then go on to the next one.

At least we know Hurts will work his butt off to make it work, if he isn't good enough, well, you'll have an experienced backup. And he won't sulk on the bench in 2022.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

What if he's an average, 8 win QB?  That signals the annual cry of "just get Jalen more weapons" to me and we never go either way.

There is no way he’s winning 8 games in a full rebuild year unless he’s playing so well we ought to keep him.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

The danger isn’t committing to Hurts for 2021; they’ve used a 2nd round pick on him and eaten $34M in dead money to trade Wentz — it’s only prudent to go forward with the second round draft pick and give him a year to see if he can handle the starting job.

The danger is that Hurts stinks, but the organization thinks he’s good — you know, like with Agholor and Mills?  5 years of Hurts being bad and being kept as a starter is the real danger.

We aren’t keeping Hurts for 5 years if he stinks.

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The Jalen Hurts hate here is so utterly pathetic. 

Somebody should start a pool on the exact date you will turn on him

Archived