EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

26 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not sure if it’s been covered, since I was driving all day.  But just the fact that the Eagles leaked they won’t be in the market for a QB at #6 is all I need to see how f-ing clueless Lurie is with football ops.  Now if a team at 7 or 8 who wants a QB, knows we aren’t a threat to take one at 6.  Which hurts our position if we do want to trade down with one of those teams.   I’m not even getting into Lurie meddling BS.   My heads gonna explode over that.  

I think that is wrong.  If a team thinks we want a QB, they’re probably not targeting our pick.  If the Eagles don’t want a QB, unless they only have a couple players on their board, then the possibility that the Lions, Broncos and 49ers get into a bidding war to try and get or stay ahead of each other plays in the Eagles favor at the price to be paid.  If they do want a QB at 6 but don’t want to spend any draft capital to move higher, the best way to get their man is subterfuge signally, don’t waste draft capital by jumping us.  

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Kind of what i said earlier today that in order to get one of the guys they love (Wilson) they’d have to move up to get him. Meaning giving up draft capital to go up and get him. However need other dominoes to fall to do that. Need the Jets willing to trade out of 2 and roll with darnold. Not sure they made that decision yet. Then you have to have a great offer that beats other teams who are trying to also jump up into 2 that love Wilson. If you make that move you likely are depleting your draft capital this draft and some next draft for a team that has a bunch of holes and just spent a second rounder who they supposedly really believe in.

i do think the eagles love Wilson. I felt like if they wanted one of the QBs behind Lawrence it would be him due to his elite arm, athleticism. However i think the cost is going to probably be ridiculous. As well as the ability to even Move into a position to get him is going to be out of their control and rests on what the Jets want to do. 

18 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

You can also look at it as if the Eagles are NOT interested in a QB, then teams would know that is a team they can trade with to move up to take a QB. Teams then know the Panthers possibly even Lions want a QB, lets move up with the Eagles since QB is not a want for them. If teams thought we wanted a QB, they may just try and jump the Eagles. Just another way to look at it. 

This is the way I looked at it.  If teams behind us in the draft really want a QB that's still on the board and they thought we're in the market for a QB then they'd try and trade ahead of us to get one.  Now those teams will look at us as the team to trade up with to grab a QB ahead of another team.  And from reading the Blog it seems like the majority of us would welcome a trade back and adding more picks to the coffers.  I know I'd be cool with trading down and adding another 2nd/3rd and maybe a Day 1/2 2022 pick as well.

12 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'm not sure how I'd feel if they traded up to draft a QB. On one hand it's great that Nick gets his guy. On the other hand we likely give up a lot of picks that we need to rebuild

Hypothetically,  if SF offered us 12 and a 2022 1, for 6, would you take it? 

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm not sure how I'd feel if they traded up to draft a QB. On one hand it's great that Nick gets his guy. On the other hand we likely give up a lot of picks that we need to rebuild

In order to move up to get to 2 to get Wilson have to hope the Jets roll with darnold. That’s not a forgone conclusion. 

32 minutes ago, macgregor said:

if no CBs are taken at 6, the team could trade back to say, 15, and still get either Farley or Surtain. Trading back could ALSO land us Asante jr. But there are other ways to use that extra pick for trading back. 2 CBs would be sublime for this team as Slay is good but will cost us, and we sure af need solid backups there. We'd then have our 2, 2 3s, and 2 5s. We could trade up as necessary to get whoever slips; Mac Jones, Kyle Trask, LB, oline or WR probably.

I don't see WR or Kyle Pitts(with 3 good TEs already) as a position of dire need as some. That's because I don't already hate every Howie draft pick from last year and think all our WRs suck, just because Carson gave up on the season early and then tried 'splainin away' his FU attitude once the money was finalized. How it was the Hurts pick, then it was the city...that's just BS. He gave up, largely because he realized with that money, he COULD. Bradford taught him something at least.

I don't assume Lurie is in love with Hurts. I think they will draft a QB. I don't think there are any 1st round QBs worth the investment over Hurts, and that's thanks to Howie who saw the opportunity to get a 1st round QB in the 2nd last year.

15 is a big jump. Dallas for sure is going to take one of those two corners at 12.  There are also some other teams that might in that mix or might trade back with a team looking to move up and snag one. 

2 minutes ago, What The F said:

Hypothetically,  if SF offered us 12 and a 2022 1, for 6, would you take it? 

Yes. I kind of feel like you probably could actually get more like a 3-4th rounder this year. Cause a first next year is more of the value of a second rounder based on how he value chart views them 

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

15 is a big jump. Dallas for sure is going to take one of those two corners at 12.  There are also some other teams that might in that mix or might trade back with a team looking to move up and snag one. 

Dallas picks 10t

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

I think Mort's losing it at his own age. He said the Eagles  guy is Jalen hurts. Now hes saying Eagles want Wilson. 

I never liked the guy anyway but hes been wrong, a lot lately 

Eagles are just setting it up so that when Wilson is a stud they can say they correctly identified him but he went before their pick and when Hurts bombs they can point fingers at someone else. 

2 hours ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Reports are Top QB’s are asking their teams to go after Ertz (according to Michael Silver).

An all time great Eagle gets sh!t on entirely to much here.

What top QBs?

Mahomes has Travis Kelce; he’s not asking

Watson isn’t on speaking terms with the Texans; he’s not asking

Wilson is tired of getting hit and Ertz couldn’t block an infant; he’s not asking

Brady and Lamar have TE talent in 3s; they’re not asking

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Eagles are just setting it up so that when Wilson is a stud they can say they correctly identified him but he went before their pick and when Hurts bombs they can point fingers at someone else. 

Falls into the cycle i posted a couple weeks back. 

36 minutes ago, downundermike said:

JFC, Gowton — that’s NOT what Mort’s tweet read at all

This Philly media .......       🤮

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And that is fine.  That would all make sense to start calling around and let teams know that they are open for a trade at 6, days and hours leading up to the draft.  Not more than a month out.  It just appears that Lurie wants people to know he’s the guy calling the shots.  He’s definitely changed since Chip.  We won a SB.  But this way of running the team is not sustainable.  He’s emboldened to be more hands on.  And it’s not a good thing.  

Agree with all your points.  It does seem like that SB went to Lurie's head and he's tinkering too much with the personnel decisions now.  He's Jerry Jones Light at the moment and someone needs to snap him the F out of it before it gets even worse.

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

JFC, Gowton — that’s NOT what Mort’s tweet read at all

This Philly media .......       🤮

That's how I read it. I doubt Mort would be talking about WIP call in's who have expressed interest in trading up for Wilson.

1 minute ago, Green_Guinness said:

Agree with all your points.  It does seem like that SB went to Lurie's head and he's tinkering too much with the personnel decisions now.  He's Jerry Jones Light at the moment and someone needs to snap him the F out of it before it gets even worse.

Once he starts talking about glory hole I'm out

The Eagles are infatuated with Hurts because of some analytics/statistical study they've done where Hurts ranks behind only Patrick Mahomes in terms of on field awareness. His perception of where he's at on the field and how it relates to the other players is off the charts, according to their study. I can't remember where I heard or read this though.

The problem is this is 99% based off a great college football player dominating sorry Big-12 defenses. I'm not sure if they really get that.

1 minute ago, schuy7 said:

The Eagles are infatuated with Hurts because of some analytics/statistical study they've done where Hurts ranks behind only Patrick Mahomes in terms of on field awareness. His perception of where he's at on the field and how it relates to the other players is off the charts, according to their study. I can't remember where I heard or read this though.

The problem is this is 99% based off a great college football player dominating sorry Big-12 defenses. I'm not sure if they really get that.

Then why does Hurts keep tucking the ball after 1.25 seconds and take off running?  He might be seeing the field TOO well?

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Then why does Hurts keep tucking the ball after 1.25 seconds and take off running?  He might be seeing the field TOO well?

Did you notice the line he was behind?

14 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Have they watch Hurts pass v. Mahomes? I think it's safe to say the level of arm talent isn't the same.  

36 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Let's say Dallas does that. As long as our trade back deal returns us close to value, we should have the draft capital to then trade up to 13. It's still better than drafting at 6 and praying Asante jr is there in the 2nd, as if he would even be able to start right away. If we don't get that value at CB in the draft, we're likely to spend some cash in FA for a stop-gap.

25 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I think Mort's losing it at his own age. He said the Eagles  guy is Jalen hurts. Now hes saying Eagles want Wilson. 

I never liked the guy anyway but hes been wrong, a lot lately 

I think whoever Mort is talking to (Howie) is saying that his scouts like Wilson but Lurie wants us to "ride with Jalen."  But draft night is crazy and you just never know what is going to happen. 

2 hours ago, Casey @ Bat said:

Reports are Top QB’s are asking their teams to go after Ertz (according to Michael Silver).

An all time great Eagle gets sh!t on entirely to much here.

His effort last season was trash

29 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Dang, I guess you weren't driving those East Texas red clay backroads today.  A flurry of P&V.

East Texas isn’t much in the way of red clay.  More like GA, AL, MS and southern TN for that.  Red dirt, sure, but not really clay.  More dirt and sand.  You really have to get off the beaten path for dirt roads in Texas.  County roads even tend to be paved and Farm to Markets are pretty much paved.  When you think about red clay in country songs, think folk like Zack Brown, Florida-Georgia Line or Alabama.  Red Dirt  country started with Outlaw Country, Willie, Waylon, Jerry Jeff, Michael Murphy, Gary  Nunn, Guy Clark.  That’s a little far west for him.  Now, the backroads in Carolina bring you some mighty fine sights to behold too.  

Archived