Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason - politics belong in CVON

51 minutes ago, greend said:

Barnett will probably restructure, no?

You can extend him. He's not going to restructure/take a paycut.

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Or... crazy thought, he could give out good contracts to good players.   Just a thought.

The problem is they knew this year was coming before signing Malik Jackson or Alshon.  

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yep, but one of those trades could be used after the league year starts to get the necessary 6-8 million dollars needed to sign draft picks.

Actually, just looked at cap hits for the picks last year, we are looking at a 5-6 million cap number for the player we select 6th.  So we are going to need 8-9 million to sign draft picks.

Trading down seems more likely now, cap implications of it may be a huge factor in the decision.

I don't think the cap space is going to influence whether they trade down.  

• Like 1

So he's just going to ruin future years to get out of the mess he created. Great

How is he still employed?

• Thanks 1

Russell Wilson has a no-trade clause, so the team selection matters.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Or... crazy thought, he could give out good contracts to good players.   Just a thought.

There's a limited supply each year of players who fit, who are the right age, and who have reasonable salary demands.

That's why you don't build through free agency, rather, you're opportunistic, signing only those who are good bets.

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

So he's just going to ruin future years to get out of the mess he created. Great

Ruin what season? We'll have cap room in 2022, oddles of cap room in 2023 when Howie will want to start signing free agents (so their best seasons will be when the young players are peaking).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RLC said:

image.gif.b5142d4d92cd895b756a29bd449dd061.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jwill2420 said:

And if it’s not an option to trade back (which pretty much all or us would consider ideal) cause trades don’t happen easily.What Qb OL or CB would you have at 6? 

Surtain, Slater, Obviously Sewell if he slides....I am torn on the QB's.  I can be convinced with Zach Wilson.  

• Like 1

Anyone know when 2021 comp picks will be announced ??  Usually it is early March, have not seen a date.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Who said it would just be the Eagles?   The Saints are in worse shape than the Eagles, even with Brees out of the picture.

But, they could get compliant easily with a few other moves... like trading/extending Slay, Hargrave... Trading/cutting Ertz... extending Barnett/Seumalo, etc. They can also push a bunch of Cox's $15M salary for 2021, into a signing bonus... freeing up about $10-$12M... depending on how they choose to do it. 

I just don't see them able to do it before the first day of the league year... because a trade isn't official until then anyway.   So, once some of these trades are official, the team would be under the cap, same with the freeing up of money with June 1 moves.... the money isn't available until June 1, but the team would be 'under' the cap eventually.

Maybe I misinterpreted it.

So, I think the goal is to get the number down to within Wentz' number of the current cap, and then throw themselves on the mercy of the court, so to speak, and argue that they are only over by 1 contract, which they have since 'canceled' so to speak.

But anyway, they are going to have to get under, and its not going to be pretty. They will probably have to restructure and extend Cox, or at the least add another dummy year or two on there. Same thing with other players. Graham, Johnson, Hargrave, Brooks + doing something with Barnett + whatever you do with Ertz gets them under with some money to sign some cheap vets. They just have to do it, they don't have a choice. You can't be over the cap. 

I said it before, trading Wentz severely affects their cap situation and not just the dead money. He was THE guy they were banking on restricting this offseason and that’s off the table. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

I'm not bending over backwards to do anything. And where am I adding Ertz back to the roster? I included him in trade/cut category to get the Eagles under the cap.

Read more, post less.

Most of the Blog has already put that weirdo on ignore.  Just a suggestion.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RLC said:

Why don't they just fix the Oline? Unless things are going behind the scenes

I would hate it if he went to Dallas or Saints. Though I don't think Saints have the money

Bears may go all in

Have Raiders given up on Carr?

Wonder if Russel Wilson will be painted as a selfish a-hole in the media.  Don't bother, I know the answer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Not sure what the heck he is talking about.  All the posts clearly talk about cutting/trading those players.

Looks like he's had 404 posts.  I think I remember 1 that made any sense.  We have a total crackpot on our hands, and I actually find it pretty amusing.  

You're non compos mentis. You got some bats in the belfry. - The Bottle  Deposit   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Good to see you as well, JR

He's back. : seinfeldgifs

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yep, but one of those trades could be used after the league year starts to get the necessary 6-8 million dollars needed to sign draft picks.

Actually, just looked at cap hits for the picks last year, we are looking at a 5-6 million cap number for the player we select 6th.  So we are going to need 8-9 million to sign draft picks.

Trading down seems more likely now, cap implications of it may be a huge factor in the decision.

You have to remember with the top 51 rule not all those picks are going to count against the cap and the ones that do will push someone else off. It should be about $5 to $6M to sign all the rookies as is. 

34 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Basically. It's not going to be ripping off a band aid like the Eagles and others suggest. More like a scab that eventually heals over time

31 minutes ago, RLC said:

Cowboys? Russell Wilson is a dick

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RLC said:

The cherry on top to this horrific season/offseason will be if either DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson gets traded to the Cowboys.  I honestly hope they franchise Dak soon or sign him to a new deal.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RLC said:

Bears??? 

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

The cherry on top to this horrific season/offseason will be in either DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson gets traded to the Cowboys.  I honestly hope they franchise Dak soon or sign him to a new deal.  

I don't get why anyone would want to play for Dallas. Jerry Jones is a dewsh bag

• Like 1

Cowboys trading Dak for Wilson would be a mistake. Wilson is 5 years older and Dallas would have to give up extra compensation. 

Just now, greend said:

I don't get why anyone would want to play for Dallas. Jerry Jones is a dewsh bag

Very talented offense, top class facilities, no income taxes, and one of the most popular franchises in sports. 

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You have to remember with the top 51 rule not all those picks are going to count against the cap and the ones that do will push someone else off. It should be about $5 to $6M to sign all the rookies as is. 

It will be 5 plus million just for #6, so it will be north of 7 million, closer to 8.  Will run the numbers at lunch.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

Cowboys trading Dak for Wilson would be a mistake. Wilson is 5 years older and Dallas would have to give up extra compensation. 

Not seeing the problem with Dallas having to use draft resources to trade for an older QB with a huge cap number.

3 hours ago, devpool said:

If Sewell gets to us and we don't take him I would imagine some team might want to trade up for him. If we take sewell they can sell dillard in camp if someone loses a tackle 

Why can't we move Sewell to LG, Mailata stays at LT, Isaac is basically the super sub 6th o-lineman... 

• Like 1