EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Dak likely could’ve played it out again with the tag making 37 million guaranteed. and gotten closer to like 180 mil guaranteed total (two tags and $126 mil guaranteed) if he got 126 mil like he just did lol. 

Yea but now he can control where he goes and if they don’t give him another extension in the next 4 years he can hit FA at 31 and sign another mega deal. His agent did really well with him. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mike030270 said:

Lol Allen and Jackson are about to make a ton of money

At least the ravens and bills have the 5th year option at their disposal whereas Dallas knew they had to get something done after the 3rd year and didn’t. 

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

No trade AND no tag? 

Wow.  The precedent this sets is going to make me re-evaluate how to manage the QB position.  

For those who care to search...circa 2000, what % of total salary cap were the top 15 qbs versus this?

13 minutes ago, RLC said:

40M/Y!

Wow. No-trade AND no-tag.

So they have 20 million in cap room before his deal, and he has a cap number of 40 million this year ??

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea but now he can control where he goes and if they don’t give him another extension in the next 4 years he can hit FA at 31 and sign another mega deal. His agent did really well with him. 

His agent got him $157 million guaranteed even with his nasty injury. That’s a win for dak. Plus he gets $40 mil per and by 31 if he plays like he has gets another boatload of money. 

positive keeps watson and wilson out of dallas. Frankly i like Dak more than most on here but IMO those two are better QBs 

2 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

She is worth almost 500 million 

Which makes it a little easier for Tom to take team-friendly deals like he has throughout his career. 

11 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Thats why Brady has so many SBs, because hes not greedy and knows the money comes in other avenues when you win SBs. Glad they caved and gave him a huge deal. Let the Cowboys fall apart. 

Well, probably the biggest and most unspoken crime of the Patriots was paying Brady under the table, but we won’t go there.

It won't be as big an issue when almost half the league is paying their QB a major contract. It'll nullify itself. 

12 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Thats why Brady has so many SBs, because hes not greedy and knows the money comes in other avenues when you win SBs. Glad they caved and gave him a huge deal. Let the Cowboys fall apart. 

And his wife being worth $400 million, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with him taking team-friendly deals and he does it out of the purity of his soul and for the greater good of the team. 

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

We might get that other comp pick after all.

No idea why they didn’t officially announce them by now. 

BDCE266B-142E-4EA1-9B05-838E50907F46.jpeg

1 minute ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Which makes it a little easier for Tom to take team-friendly deals like he has throughout his career. 

Brady has made 263 million career earnings in 20 years , dak just got 170 for 4 years , and I’m betting will never see a Super Bowl 

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So they have 20 million in cap room before his deal, and he has a cap number of 40 million this year ??

Field Yates says Dak’s cap number for 2021 will be $25.5M — because of the $66M signing bonus 

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Nah, it will be less. His signing bonus sounds like $66M and his base would make up the rest of the $75M he gets in year 1. Sounds like his cap number will be $25M

13 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Folks in Victoria, Richmond Rosenberg when I was young, Fulshear when I was young and pretty much anything west of Highway 6 when I was in college would tend to disagree with you. East Texas stops at the end of the Pine Forest that strings across the south.  It’s those years you spent in Arlington that warp your thinking. Being that close to Dallas does bad things to a man. 

Now a few years back, I was listening to Aaron Watson’s song on the radio and he sang about FM109.  My first thought was that’s a Texas boy.  I googled him and found out he is from the Panhandle.  My next thought was what the hell does a west Texan know about FM109 because it runs from just south of Brennan to New Ulm.  Only someone coming out of that area headed towards the Colorado near Columbus drives FM109.  I have. Colorado is a nice lazy river to canoe and jump out at Columbus. Used to be a quaint little restaurant not far from the hanging tree, right there at the Colorado River bridge called the Hodge Podge. Served great slices of homemade pie with homemade ice cream.  

Interstates are great for getting to and from but to really see this country, you need to drive the backroads.  Taught my kids to carry a compass in the car and occasionally just head a direction towards where you are going with a general sense of using that direction to get there.

Wrong Arlington, I was in Arlington, VA, home of the former Robert E Lee plantation and now National Cemetery. I recommend watching the changing of the guard, it's an inspiring moment.

I'm hoping to move back to Texas in the near future, if things work out. Austin is out of the question, the city I loved died a couple decades ago, overrun by California IT people and Republic lobbyists and lawyers. I'm looking at San Marcos, still a college town (Texas State), "a river runs through it" and real estate hasn't skyrocketed yet.

If I make that move, someday I have to get into my car and do the grand tour, I wrote a book on Texas Oil, but never got a chance to visit the places I wrote about - so I'd like to go see Tyler, Texas (East Texas oil field), Spindletop of course, and the Permian basin, as well as a few other ones like the Ranger field. I've driven too many highways, time to slow down and travel some byways.

15 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Wow.  The precedent this sets is going to make me re-evaluate how to manage the QB position.  

For those who care to search...circa 2000, what % of total salary cap were the top 15 qbs versus this?

Yep. Been saying this all year. If he's up for a new deal and he's not top 5, trade him.

Dak isn't a bad QB. He's shown he can win you some games, but good God is that a bad deal. If they were in win now mode and he was the last piece, sure, but they have no defense, Zeke is fat and their OL is beat.

Bad deal.

1. Patrick Mahomes $45M/per

2. Dak Prescott $40M

3. Deshaun Watson $39M 

4. Russell Wilson $35M 

5t. Aaron Rodgers $33.5M

5t. Jared Goff

7. Kirk Cousins $33M

8. Carson Wentz $32M

9. Matt Ryan $30M 

10 Ryan Tannehill $29.5M

Three years from now, add at least 5 QBs who will be paid $35+ annually. Only the teams without a franchise QB will have the advantage of not having a huge QB contract on your cap, or teams with a QB on a rookie deal. 

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Hilarious.  I agree with most that he's a good QB but a few things that immediately pop into my head:

1) I'm grateful that Wilson nor Watson ended up there and

2) I am very curious to see how he moves around with a horrific looking leg injury behind an aging OL.  If he can't move, he will be very mediocre.  

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Dak isn't a bad QB. He's shown he can win you some games, but good God is that a bad deal. If they were in win now mode and he was the last piece, sure, but they have no defense, Zeke is fat and their OL is beat.

Bad deal.

Knowing the Cowboys i don’t think it’s out of the realm they draft pitts if there at 10. I wouldn’t do it but i could totally see Jerry jones adding him. Plus next year (2022) they can trade and get out of amari cooper’s deal with minimal dead money. 22 mil against the cap of traded or released 6 mil dead money and 16 mil saved. 

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

Hilarious.  I agree with most that he's a good QB but a few things that immediately pop into my head:

1) I'm grateful that Wilson nor Watson ended up there and

2) I am very curious to see how he moves around with a horrific looking leg injury behind an aging OL.  If he can't move, he will be very mediocre.  

I’d bet you there’s a good chance the Cowboys seriously consider pitts if he’s there at 10 and it’s really not the guy they should go after especially with Martin and Smith getting older. 

1 minute ago, schuy7 said:

Sewell falling close and closer to #6?

What was the swap of picks? 

Archived