EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Interesting to hear neither Sirianni nor Roseman commit to Hurts being the starting QB for the season; instead saying they want competition at every position.

If you have the incumbent starter in an open competition at QB with a 36 year-old newly signed veteran, is it fair to say you’re in the QB market at the draft?

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurts has gotten better every year. He was not a draftable player in 2017/2018. He got better at Oklahoma. He got better in the pros.

He has an A+ work ethic. The question is whether he has the instincts. 

The amount of words used today to criticize Sirianni and debate Tua/Hurts at Alabama makes me look forward to April 29th around10:45 PM after the Eagles trade back to 15,  picking up a 2022 3rd, and then select Barmore.

2 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

The amount of words used today to criticize Sirianni and debate Tua/Hurts at Alabama makes me look forward to April 29th around10:45 PM after the Eagles trade back to 15,  picking up a 2022 3rd, and then select Barmore.

He’s an Alabama player, the pick needs to be more underwhelming 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

This would be great for us. Push those OTs up. 

I’m fairly confident Sewell is going before the Eagles pick anyway so this doesn’t really do anything 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I’m fairly confident Sewell is going before the Eagles pick anyway so this doesn’t really do anything 

IMO, the earlier Sewell goes the more likely it is another team picks Slater. 

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Man people are sensitive about Hurts 

You wanna hurts donut?

59 minutes ago, mattmcginley7 said:

We're not watching the same film. DeVonta Smith does not have average speed at all

reading comprehension, I was talking about Bruce.

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

That would be a slide down for Sewell.  

I really don’t see Sewell falling past 7 tbh. Atlanta needs offensive line help. Their RT last year was ranked 26th out of 38 eligible RTs. They have a hole at LG. Bengals badly need oline. The Dolphins could also use oline if they stay at 6 and pitts and chase are off the board. Lions as well need OLine help. I’m guessing they believe they need to leap Carolina cause i don’t see anyway if Sewell is there they don’t go oline. Their line was bad last year. 

44 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Are people trying to downplay Jalen Hurts as a college QB?  I'm a Carson Wentz guy but I absolutely loved watching Hurts in college, moreso at Oklahoma than Bama.  

I think the staff at Alabama was trying to find any excuse possible to get Tua on the field to be honest.  He had been talked up all over and to not have him on the field was not good.  Hurts played well at Bama.  He dominated at Oklahoma.

I'm pulling for him as the Eagles quarterback.  I'm excited to see what he brings to the table.

My point was simply had Hurts kept the starting job, he had a great group of WRs to grow with, but they weren't much help their freshman seasons.

Goes to Oklahoma and lights it up, but probably would have done the same at Bama if he had been allowed to grow into the role.

A lot depends on both the QB but also their opportunities, Ehlinger came to Texas out of Westlake High, which runs a more sophisticated offense than many college teams, then flatlined after a great start. Don't assume if a guy starts well he'll continue to progress, or if a guy struggles at first he won't improve. It is not just how good a college player is when he's drafted, it's also whether that player continued to progress.

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

He’s an Alabama player, the pick needs to be more underwhelming 

Oh, I don't think so🤔

6 minutes ago, austinfan said:

reading comprehension, I was talking about Bruce.

You compared DeVonta Smith to Bruce because he got open with average speed 

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He got better in the pros?  He played in 4 games so far.  And didn’t look good his last game.  I think it’s a stretch to say he’s gotten better.  More like incomplete.  

He looked worse the more he played. That Dallas game against a not very good defense was bad.

7 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I really don’t see Sewell falling past 7 tbh. Atlanta needs offensive line help. Their RT last year was ranked 26th out of 38 eligible RTs. They have a hole at LG. Bengals badly need oline. The Dolphins could also use oline if they stay at 6 and pitts and chase are off the board. Lions as well need OLine help. I’m guessing they believe they need to leap Carolina cause i don’t see anyway if Sewell is there they don’t go oline. Their line was bad last year. 

Sewell can't get past the Bengals unless they're infatuated with Slater for some reason.  I can't see the Lions drafting an OL.  They lost all their WRs.  Waddle seems like a good bet to Detroit with Slater to the Panthers.  

3 hours ago, NCiggles said:

If anyone is rudely awakened at this point by a stupid move in the draft by the Eagles, where have they been the last 50 years? 

Drafting a lineman isn't stupid in general. Games are won and lost in the trenches, always have been. It was THE difference in the last SB.

23 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Wonder if Fields epilepsy will matter to teams

it really shouldnt 

Feels like that’s some team leaking it to get him to slide (to 12)

5 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Sewell can't get past the Bengals unless they're infatuated with Slater for some reason.  I can't see the Lions drafting an OL.  They lost all their WRs.  Waddle seems like a good bet to Detroit with Slater to the Panthers.  

There's been a bunch of recent mocks of Bengals not taking Sewell. Doesn't make sense

Just now, Mike030270 said:

There's been a bunch of recent mocks of Bengals not taking Sewell. Doesn't make sense

I've seen Slater jump Sewell in multiple mocks and in the national media.  My guess is that it's total smoke at this point, but I still can't see them passing on a premier OL in this draft after what happened to Burrow last season.  

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Justin Jefferson on draft night "It’s crazy how all of that happened and everything. But, I’m definitely, definitely, definitely excited that I’m on the Vikings rather than Philly”

https://www.gq.com/story/justin-jefferson-first-season-minnesota

What's he supposed to say?

Besides, what WR really wants to play with Cousins. Ask Diggs.

8 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Justin Jefferson on draft night "It’s crazy how all of that happened and everything. But, I’m definitely, definitely, definitely excited that I’m on the Vikings rather than Philly”

https://www.gq.com/story/justin-jefferson-first-season-minnesota

What incredible insight by such a young player.  If I were a 2nd year WR that broke the rookie receiving record, I would be super pissed off about the team I was on.  

Archived