EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

8 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Are people trying to downplay Jalen Hurts as a college QB?  I'm a Carson Wentz guy but I absolutely loved watching Hurts in college, moreso at Oklahoma than Bama.  

I think the staff at Alabama was trying to find any excuse possible to get Tua on the field to be honest.  He had been talked up all over and to not have him on the field was not good.  Hurts played well at Bama.  He dominated at Oklahoma.

I'm pulling for him as the Eagles quarterback.  I'm excited to see what he brings to the table.

I hope you are right, but let's say I'm less than excited at this moment.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

My best hunch after today’s press conference is Eagles are going to be targeting Jaylen Waddle

I would be surprised. My best hunch it will be an unexpected reach

24 minutes ago, greend said:

With the 12th pick in the two thousand twenty-one NFL draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select...

a 200LB offensive tackle, scheduled to miss the first three weeks of the season with kidney stones. 

The Los Angeles Chargers are now on the clock.

16 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

With the 12th pick in the two thousand twenty-one NFL draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select...

a 200LB offensive tackle, scheduled to miss the first three weeks of the season with kidney stones. 

The Los Angeles Chargers are now on the clock.

Yup

11 minutes ago, greend said:

Yup

Not this year.  The tide is changing.  I am going to be hopeful.

Yay or Nay?

Eagles trade #12 to the Saints.

Saints trade #28, 2022 1st, and 2023 1st to the Eagles.

Just now, D-Shiznit said:

Yay or Nay?

Saints trade #28, 2022 1st, and 2022 1st to the Eagles.

Do you mean a 2023 1st to the Eagles? Hmmm not sure not sure. I don't hate it but I don't love the idea of moving all the way back to #28 in this draft. Gives us a lot of ammo for the future though!

3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yay or Nay?

Yay. In a heart beat. 

8 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Not this year.  The tide is changing.  I am going to be hopeful.

Have at it. I hope you are right. 

5 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yay or Nay?

yes

8 hours ago, austinfan said:

Yes, I was talking about how great route running can create separation without having a DeSean like burst. It took DeSean almost a decade to learn how to run routes, he got by early in his career by simply outrunning people. One reason Smith will probably survive for a while as an undersized WR is his precise route running, he's hard to line up for a big hit because he doesn't signal his cuts.

Desean could always run routes, very well.   Might want to take a look at his scouting profile again.  Sure Desean got open on go's with speed but he didn't break the Eagles rookie receiving records running go's only.  I think there's a bigger comparison between Smith and Desean than difference.  Take away the extra 3 gears from Desean and the traffic ability from Smith and they're pretty similar in play styles.

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yay. In a heart beat. 

That's a no-brainer for me. 2 future 1sts? From a team with worse salary cap than us and no defined QB? Yes please.

I need to stop getting excited about certain draft night scenarios I keep thinking of in my head.

-Jaylen Waddle falls to 12 and we find a way to get Greg Newsome or Trevon Moerhing at 37.

-Jaycee Horn or Patrick Surtain at 12 with Rashod Bateman, Kadarius Toney or a similar tier 2 WR at 37.

-Horn/Surtain and trade back in to late round 1 for Zaven Collins.

-trade back to 20-25 pick up an extra 2nd and 5th, take Collins and Moehring at 37.

-Pitts falls to 8, Eagles find a way to trade up

any of these would make me happy.

However, going back to 2017 let's look at their top picks and expectations.  Again, my expectations are that the first 3 rounds are impact players, immediate starters/plans to start by year 2 and making significant contributions their rookie year.

2020: 1st- Reagor 2nd- Hurts 3rd- Taylor

2019: 1st- Dillard 2nd- Sanders 2nd- JJAW 3rd- none

2018: 1st- none 2nd- Goedert 3rd- none

2017: 1st- Barnett 2nd- Jones 3rd- Douglas

They used 10 picks in the first 3 rounds over 4 years.  

Out of those 10 picks-

Hurts, Dillard, JJAW, Goedert and Barnett were all taken knowing they players ahead of them and no expectations to start.  The best case scenario for Hurts was he never sees the field as QB2.

-Goedert had Ertz in front of him with no plans of getting rid of him at the time. 

- The Eagles rotate their defensive ends quite a bit.  With the way they use them and the snap counts they play, I think it's silly to use a 1st round pick on a rotational player.  In his 4 years here, Barnett has played in 45% of defensive snaps.  Is that a good use of a 1st round pick?  It's why I have no interest in Kwitty Paye or Christian Barmore at 12.

-Sidney Jones was drafted knowing he would miss his rookie year (except 1 game)

-Davion Taylor was drafted and we were told he needs to learn how to play LB.

-Miles Sanders was drafted knowing they would use him in a 3 headed backfield

-Jalen Reagor was the lone player drafted who was going to truly start.

-Douglas was drafted as a depth corner.

Point I'm trying to make is we are all here discussing our dream scenarios and players we'd love to see the Eagles take to come in and improve this team instantly.  Do we think they have changed their ways?

We are going to see a combo of OL/DL in round with 12 and 37.  

5 hours ago, The guy in France said:

So the fact that with both, playing physical being a major part of their game rather than finesse doesn’t give you pause in a less lenient NFL ?

I think Horn will be fine at CB, Surtain has trouble with that 6th sense and keeping someone in his hip pocket.  He's a bit stiff too and will need S help in the NFL.  I love Surtain as a S prospect, he's great when the play is in front of him and can tackle well.  I see him as a Jenkins type player long term.

1 minute ago, Wentz_Era said:

I think Horn will be fine at CB, Surtain has trouble with that 6th sense and keeping someone in his hip pocket.  He's a bit stiff too and will need S help in the NFL.  I love Surtain as a S prospect, he's great when the play is in front of him and can tackle well.  I see him as a Jenkins type player long term.

I think his technique is really really good though? So although he is perhaps too stiff and not as fluid as you'd like he has really good technique that helps him stay in control of a situation.

8 hours ago, austinfan said:

Yes, I was talking about how great route running can create separation without having a DeSean like burst. It took DeSean almost a decade to learn how to run routes, he got by early in his career by simply outrunning people. One reason Smith will probably survive for a while as an undersized WR is his precise route running, he's hard to line up for a big hit because he doesn't signal his cuts.

Nope.

9 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Desean could always run routes, very well.   Might want to take a look at his scouting profile again.  Sure Desean got open on go's with speed but he didn't break the Eagles rookie receiving records running go's only.  I think there's a bigger comparison between Smith and Desean than difference.  Take away the extra 3 gears from Desean and the traffic ability from Smith and they're pretty similar in play styles.

Yup.

12 minutes ago, RLC said:

That's a no-brainer for me. 2 future 1sts? From a team with worse salary cap than us and no defined QB? Yes please.

It's the only team I could think of in the very bottom of the first round that could trade up for a QB, the 2 future firsts would be the SanFran compensation minus the 3rd rounder.

1 minute ago, D-Shiznit said:

It's the only team I could think of in the very bottom of the first round that could trade up for a QB, the 2 future firsts would be the SanFran compensation minus the 3rd rounder.

I mean yeah it makes sense given they need to address the QB position and probably feel they can't move all the way up to the top 10 to do so. If a QB or two makes it to us at #12 then I could see the Saints trying to trade up.

5 hours ago, twistr said:

He improved every year....not every game, is what he said. That's college, he only has one year in the NFL, so we'll find out next year if that trend continues at this level. At least that's how I took the OP's comment.

It was hard not to improve from his frosh season with Bama.  He simply could not move the O with his arm if push came to shove.  I tend to discredit his OU stats because of that O and conference.  He certainly improved as a passer for sure but  Kyler Murray won the Heisman and went #1 overall because of that.  Baker at least has some NFL qualities in terms of arm talent.  Both of them vastly outperformed Hurts at OU in my opinion.  You can point to stats all you want but I didn't see it.

13 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

I've been talking about the Surtain/Jenkins comparison for months now.  I think it's the perfect projection for him.  He won't be bad at CB, Jenkins wasn't either.  But it wasn't until he moved to safety until Jenkins really took off.  I think the same goes for Surtain.

1 hour ago, greend said:

If Horn and Slater are off the board I fear for the worst.  I'll throw Surtain in there because he'll be a fine #2 until the S room clears and he can move to a position suited for him long term and excel.

Guest justrelax
40 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yay or Nay?

Yay. In a heartbeat.

6 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

If Horn and Slater are off the board I fear for the worst.  I'll throw Surtain in there because he'll be a fine #2 until the S room clears and he can move to a position suited for him long term and excel.

That's funny because I always fear the worst. Frankly Howie is always trying to prove that is is smarter than everyone else, rather than just taking the smart pick right in front of him

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think his technique is really really good though? So although he is perhaps too stiff and not as fluid as you'd like he has really good technique that helps him stay in control of a situation.

He's fundamentally sound and knows the game, but watch him some more.  At the NFL level he's not gonna get away with using his length and arms to break up passes on a regular basis.  If the WR is in front of him he's fine, but if he has to turn and play the ball he can't jump because he's flat footed on his flips.  He gets lost trailing and isn't comfortable operating off feel on hip pocket coverage.  Hence his hands on nature.  That's why I think he's a great S prospect and so-so at best at CB.  You can be a good CB with above average athleticism and fluid hips with his technique level.  But he's missing one of those things.  Unless you put him in a zone dominant system.

Just now, John_C said:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/howie-roseman-eagles-draft-andy-weidl-jeffrey-lurie-20210421.html

".... then Howie walks in with his top 50 no matter what our board says..."

Owner in the room pushing decisions... etc. etc.

Worst drafting team in the NFL. 

Why would I think this draft will be different?  What has changed?  What's new?

Nothing has changed.  Hence my post about 30 minutes ago talking about dream scenarios we all talk about then facing the reality of what this team actually does.

The fact is we're kidding ourselves if we think Howie had some great awakening.  If anything, he got a stamp of approval from Lurie.  It's not a good feeling.

Archived