EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

55 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yay or Nay?

Eagles trade #12 to the Saints.

Saints trade #28, 2022 1st, and 2023 1st to the Eagles.

Both, #28 looks to possibly be no man's land in this draft.  You're getting a project or a projection unless you're looking at the S's (the S room is pretty crowded right now) or Davis (that would be awesome) there.  I want to say yay though overall.  I'm not too sure how stocked next year is, but it can't be worse than this year.  I tend to agree with a lot of these reports on how bad and shallow this class is.  The more 'mid to late round' guys I look into, the more people I add to the wouldn't be drafted in a normal draft.  I don't even think there's 200, let alone 259, draft worthy players in the pool to be honest.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I need to stop getting excited about certain draft night scenarios I keep thinking of in my head.

-Jaylen Waddle falls to 12 and we find a way to get Greg Newsome or Trevon Moerhing at 37.

-Jaycee Horn or Patrick Surtain at 12 with Rashod Bateman, Kadarius Toney or a similar tier 2 WR at 37.

-Horn/Surtain and trade back in to late round 1 for Zaven Collins.

-trade back to 20-25 pick up an extra 2nd and 5th, take Collins and Moehring at 37.

-Pitts falls to 8, Eagles find a way to trade up

any of these would make me happy.

However, going back to 2017 let's look at their top picks and expectations.  Again, my expectations are that the first 3 rounds are impact players, immediate starters/plans to start by year 2 and making significant contributions their rookie year.

2020: 1st- Reagor 2nd- Hurts 3rd- Taylor

2019: 1st- Dillard 2nd- Sanders 2nd- JJAW 3rd- none

2018: 1st- none 2nd- Goedert 3rd- none

2017: 1st- Barnett 2nd- Jones 3rd- Douglas

They used 10 picks in the first 3 rounds over 4 years.  

Out of those 10 picks-

Hurts, Dillard, JJAW, Goedert and Barnett were all taken knowing they players ahead of them and no expectations to start.  The best case scenario for Hurts was he never sees the field as QB2.

-Goedert had Ertz in front of him with no plans of getting rid of him at the time. 

- The Eagles rotate their defensive ends quite a bit.  With the way they use them and the snap counts they play, I think it's silly to use a 1st round pick on a rotational player.  In his 4 years here, Barnett has played in 45% of defensive snaps.  Is that a good use of a 1st round pick?  It's why I have no interest in Kwitty Paye or Christian Barmore at 12.

-Sidney Jones was drafted knowing he would miss his rookie year (except 1 game)

-Davion Taylor was drafted and we were told he needs to learn how to play LB.

-Miles Sanders was drafted knowing they would use him in a 3 headed backfield

-Jalen Reagor was the lone player drafted who was going to truly start.

-Douglas was drafted as a depth corner.

Point I'm trying to make is we are all here discussing our dream scenarios and players we'd love to see the Eagles take to come in and improve this team instantly.  Do we think they have changed their ways?

We are going to see a combo of OL/DL in round with 12 and 37.  

What about a scenario where the first 4 picks are QBs, Cincinnati picks Sewell, Miami picks Pitts, Detroit either picks a defensive player (Parsons) or trades down to a team that wants the 5th QB.  The Eagles trade with Carolina for pick 8 (maybe picks 12 and 84 get it done) and pick Chase.  They would still get a guy most of us wanted all along and also net the extra 1st next year.

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Yay or Nay?

Eagles trade #12 to the Saints.

Saints trade #28, 2022 1st, and 2023 1st to the Eagles.

Yay

Just now, Han Solo said:

What about a scenario where the first 4 picks are QBs, Cincinnati picks Sewell, Miami picks Pitts, Detroit either picks a defensive player (Parsons) or trades down to a team that wants the 5th QB.  The Eagles trade with Carolina for pick 8 (maybe picks 12 and 84 get it done) and pick Chase.  They would still get a guy most of us wanted all along and also net the extra 1st next year.

That's a great scenario....for all of us dreaming.  Look at how Howie drafts.  Nothing leads me to believe he would even consider that.

28 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Unless you put him in a zone dominant system.

But the scouting reports say he is going to be best in press man.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But the scouting reports say he is going to be best in press man.

I'm not seeing it, but this is the norm for scouting reports on Bama CB's and they're never right.  Like you said his technique is outstanding.  He's great attacking and dictating at the LOS with his hands and positioning.  Once he's past his 5 yard cushion, it's not there.  

1 minute ago, Wentz_Era said:

I'm not seeing it, but this is the norm for scouting reports on Bama CB's and they're never right.  Like you said his technique is outstanding.  He's great attacking and dictating at the LOS with his hands and positioning.  Once he's past his 5 yard cushion, it's not there.  

Hence being press man then. Get his hands on and dictate. In zone he could find himself off the WR without the athleticism and fluidity to make it back. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hence being press man then. Get his hands on and dictate. In zone he could find himself off the WR without the athleticism and fluidity to make it back. 

That's all well and good but nobody runs an exclusive press man system and pressing doesn't always work.  In college QB's rarely go through reads like they do in the NFL, so typically if he won at the LOS there he wasn't challenged.   Coverage wise though, he was best when the play was in front of him.  He takes great angles, tackles well and is clearly a student of the game for how he diagnoses things.  That's why I say S for him is his best position.  He has the athleticism in that he's a plus athlete, not elite, but more than good enough.  It's his hips.  He contests by leaning and using his length to disrupt hands as opposed to playing the actual ball.

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson return to court on Thursday for a status conference. Attorney Tony Buzbee says most of his clients will personally appear for the hearing.

Via Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston, Buzbee said that 12 of the 22 plaintiffs have "insisted on being present” for the hearing "because they were called liars by Watson’s attorney,” Rusty Hardin.

In an interview with GQ, Jefferson said he thought the Eagles were gong to draft him, and he wasn’t thrilled with that idea. So when the Eagles passed on him and the Vikings called, he was happy.

I’m definitely, definitely, definitely excited that I’m on the Vikings rather than Philly.”

43 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Unpopular opinion.  Terrace Marshall is Riley Cooper. 

Did he use a racial epithet in a drunken rant?

1 hour ago, greend said:

Have at it. I hope you are right. 

yes

Me too.

56 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

I don't think a late 3rd round pick gets you from 12 to 8.  It cost 2 1sts and a 4th to go from 12-6 (plus a 5th)

4 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

I don't think a late 3rd round pick gets you from 12 to 8.  It cost 2 1sts and a 4th to go from 12-6 (plus a 5th)

They didnt gain a 4th technically. They had to give up a 5th so they moved up a round. But I agree, a 3rd will not move you into the 8th pick. I would think it would cost at least a 2nd rounder and another pick. If it is a 3rd another 3rd would more then likely be included. Panthers are not dumb giving up one of the top prospects in this draft for a extra 3rd rounder. 

56 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

FA483481-4D01-410F-96ED-C8E7EDA48CE1.png

I've never trusted those component scouts.  

7 minutes ago, hputenis said:

I've never trusted those component scouts.  

I wonder how how many of our component scouts equals one scout on a good drafting team.

1 hour ago, MillerTime said:

FA483481-4D01-410F-96ED-C8E7EDA48CE1.png

Chad Johnson has never worked as an NFL GM or an NFL scout.  Opinions of professional athletes are meaningless.  

2 hours ago, John_C said:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/howie-roseman-eagles-draft-andy-weidl-jeffrey-lurie-20210421.html

".... then Howie walks in with his top 50 no matter what our board says..."

Owner in the room pushing decisions... etc. etc.

Worst drafting team in the NFL. 

Why would I think this draft will be different?  What has changed?  What's new?

The theme of the PC yesterday was how the scouting staff under Weidl and the coaching staff under Sirianni are aligning in terms of the traits they want, and how the different prospects match those traits.

Of course the traits identified by Sirianni, Gannon, and Steichen will differ from those identified by Doug and Schwartz.  Whether that will make a difference in the types of players chosen, we will see.

I’m just hopeful there will be no more projects taken in the first 3 rounds

1 hour ago, Original Sin said:

Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson return to court on Thursday for a status conference. Attorney Tony Buzbee says most of his clients will personally appear for the hearing.

Via Mark Berman of FOX 26 in Houston, Buzbee said that 12 of the 22 plaintiffs have "insisted on being present” for the hearing "because they were called liars by Watson’s attorney,” Rusty Hardin.

Deshaun Watson has some pretty big legal and quite frankly moral / ethical issues.  He needs to take care of this before he plays football again.

7 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Deshaun Watson has some pretty big legal and quite frankly moral / ethical issues.  He needs to take care of this before he plays football again.

You mean like reaching a financial settlement to make it go away, like Antonio Brown just did ...... 

That’s the only possible course at this point.  They’re seeking money, and he has money.  The moral/ethical issues will stay far away from the actual outcome.

The Philadelphia Eagles' decision to draft Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson was panned during last year's draft. The move looks even worse after one season -- in which Jefferson bested Randy Moss' rookie receiving record while Reagor struggled in a wonky Eagles' offense.

Heading into the 2020 draft, many expected the Eagles to snag Jefferson if he were still on the board at No. 21. Instead, Howie Roseman went with the speedier Reagor, leaving the Vikings to pounce on Jefferson.

In an interview with Tyler R. Tynes of GQ, Jefferson said he was surprised he landed in Minnesota and not Philadelphia, but he's happy with the outcome.

"Leading up to the draft, you know, they had all of those mock drafts and people sharing their opinions on who is going to go where," Jefferson told Tynes. "A lot of people had me going to Philly. And, I thought I was going to Philly. Honestly. The funny part is, Philly was on the board and then Minnesota called me. At first, I thought it was Philly. But, I answered the phone, and it was Minnesota. It's crazy how all of that happened and everything. But, I'm definitely, definitely, definitely excited that I'm on the Vikings rather than Philly."

Vikings fans are also definitely happy he landed in Minnesota. At this point, Eagles fans are also definitely, definitely, definitely not happy with how things turned out.

While Minnesota won't play Philly in the regular season this year, when they eventually do face off down the line, Jefferson won't forget that the Eagles passed on bringing him to town.

"I'll always treat every game the same, no matter who I'm playing," Jefferson said. "But Philly will definitely be edgier. You know, especially because they passed on me."

https://www.nfl.com/news/justin-jefferson-i-thought-eagles-would-draft-me-but-glad-vikings-did?campaign=Twitter_atn

Any team outside the top 15 you think is a lock to take a certain player?  I'll take a crack at it and say Najee Harris to the Steelers at 24

Archived