Connecticut Eagle

24 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't think people understand how coaching trees work

That’s been made abundantly clear over the past day now

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Wulf had a good point on BwF, which was that Sirianni's resume would be very unlikely to lead to a HC hire if he were black. That gave me pause.

Bieniemy became OC the same year as Sirianni. He also doesn't call plays. 

If Bieniemy gets hired by Houston, his resume is basically the same as Sirianni. People will argue that KC's offense is better than Indy's. That's more Mahomes/Hill/Kelce than anything else.

16 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Real curious to see the OC and DC.  Also curious about retentions not named Stoutland.  Stoutland should be a must.  

Was hoping we'd get at least 1 coach named today

I hope there's not many otherwise it's not really a rebuild. I mean it's not a full rebuild anyway because Howie is still here but retaining a bunch of Doug's staff is just bad IMO

You've all cracked the code Jeff Lurie is a racist son of a **** :wacko:. Some of the people that post in here are complete idiots.  We can't even be happy we have a new coach because he's not black. For pete's friggen sake, Duce didn't get the job because the guys who work with him (Howie and Lurie) decided he's not the guy, it's got not one Fing thing to do with his color.

3 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Wulf had a good point on BwF, which was that Sirianni's resume would be very unlikely to lead to a HC hire if he were black. That gave me pause.

That's just race baiting.   I laid it out a while ago... the key to getting a HC position through the offensive side of the ball is through the passing game, and QB coach responsibilities.  

I'd like to see the list of offensive HCs and cross check that against how many of them first spent time as a QB coach.  I'd be willing to bet that the number is overwhelming.  Anthony Lynn, a minority, came through RB coach.   That's the only one I can think of.

Just now, Alphagrand said:

His resume is as good as Arthur Smith.  They have very similar qualifications 

Right. That's another example. Can you think of any similar leaps in the professional ranks made by a black coach? Or do they have to burnish their credentials a little longer?

2 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Right. That's another example. Can you think of any similar leaps in the professional ranks made by a black coach? Or do they have to burnish their credentials a little longer?

Brian Flores 

Just now, Blazehound said:

Brian Flores 

Flores was essentially the DC of the #1 defense in the NFL. His Pats' defense demolished Goff/McVay in the SB.

4 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

If you are talking about any black coach, not just an offensive minded one, Mike Singletary started coaching in the NFL in 2003, became the interim HC in 2008, full-time HC in 2009.

Lynn and Flores are good examples. Just think the league needs more of em. And I really don't think there was anything racially biased about the Eagles' process, just that there's a lingering systemic problem in the NFL.

Eberflus is apparently the favorite for the Texans. If he goes, Gannon may get promoted to DC in Indy, which would take him out of the DC running in Philly.

10 minutes ago, greend said:

You've all cracked the code Jeff Lurie is a racist son of a **** :wacko:. Some of the people that post in here are complete idiots.  We can't even be happy we have a new coach because he's not black. For pete's friggen sake, Duce didn't get the job because the guys who work with him (Howie and Lurie) decided he's not the guy, it's got not one Fing thing to do with his color.

The world has gotten so soft these days its unbelievable.

31 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't think people understand how coaching trees work

The mentor means more to the coaches who are just starting.  That is when they are most influenced by the mentor, hence the tree.  But if they stay in the same system/philosophy for a long time, it would lack variation.  Good coaches need to be innovative and know how to deal with changing situations.  That they pick up when they work in different systems and with other staff and players.

7 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Mike Tomlin and Art Shell were about 6 years each, which is quite fast.  Tomlin was only 35 when he became an NFL head coach, so it does happen.

5 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Lynn and Flores are good examples. Just think the league needs more of em. And I really don't think there was anything racially biased about the Eagles' process, just that there's a lingering systemic problem in the NFL.

Is there? Or is it just a perceived one? There is definitely a lack of minority coaches. And yes years ago, I'm with you there was systemic racism. But that doesn't mean there is still a systemic race issue today.

Could it be simply that the number of people who are (for lack of a better term -white) and are interested in a coaching career are actually higher in % over those who are POC? Could there just be a lack of interest in coaching from POC in relation to non POC? 

26 minutes ago, DelCo-lin said:

Disagree, this is just a holier than thou act. Lets look at recent black coaches resumes before being made HC, not counting assistant positions.

Flores - 4 years S, 3 years LB, no Coordinator whatsoever = head coach

Lynn - 13 years RB only, 1 year coordinator = head coach

Tomlin - 5 years DB, 1 year coordinator = head coach

Caldwell - 8 years QB's, no coordinator = head coach

Morris - 1 year coordinator as Kansas State, 2 years DB coach = head coach

Joseph - 10 years DB's, 1 year coordinator = head coach

Bowles - 9 years secondary, 2 years coordinator = head coach

Singletary - 6 years LB's = head coach

Now tell me how much different all that is to 

3 years WR's, 2 years QB's, 3 years coordinator. 

2 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Is there? Or is it just a perceived one? There is definitely a lack of minority coaches. And yes years ago, I'm with you there was systemic racism. But that doesn't mean there is still a systemic race issue today.

Could it be simply that the number of people who lack color and are interested in a coaching career are actually higher in % over those who are POC? Could there just be a lack of interest in coaching from POC in relation to non POC? 

I don't think systemic problems are easily or quickly changed. And I agree you have to look at the numbers relative to the overall coaching pipeline, but that itself is impacted by the systemic problem. Anyway, your questions are good ones, and I appreciate the other posters' responses that suggest the overall situation is indeed improving.

What made Bo sound like an idiot last night was how far he took it. Like, he was legit disappointed and upset and was basically "demanding an explanation" for why Lurie hired who he did.

If he wasn't so over the top with it and said something like "Lurie hasn't hired a black HC in a while, it would've been cool if Duce had gotten the nod" then I don't think anyone would've had an issue with it.

But propagating this nonsense just continues the divide. I mean think about it, Lurie has to be fearful of picking who he wants to run his own football team because people might call him racist. Not because he did anything racist. But because he made a simple choice.

That's why I say this all goes back to critical race theory. That racism doesn't need to be proven, you need to assume racism is everywhere(because America is a horribly racist and evil place) and it's up to the individual to prove they're not racist and atone in perpetuity for their inadvertent racism.

It's a psychological power play to guilt people. And people like Bo have bought into it.

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

Actually they don't. You can swear to anything in a notarized affidavit, but as long as it isn't an actual lie there is no wrong doing, i.e., a sincere but mistaken impression would not be perjury. And many claims, "I saw trucks with out of state license plates," might be true but totally meaningless (did they rent them from the local U-haul for the night?).

And most of the affidavits attested not to facts but "I though I saw", that is, untrained and ill-informed observers jumping to conclusions without actually knowing what they were watching.

Many of these affidavits were hearsay affidavits, "I heard somebody else say something" and some were just plain loony:

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2020/12/08/witness-pa-election-fraud-suit-ghost-hunter-long-criminal-record/6496500002/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8938507/Donald-Trumps-234-pages-fraud-affidavits-include-unusual-claims.html

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/12/maricopa-county-judge-hear-trump-team-case-maricopa-county-votes/6260414002/

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/judges-increasingly-frustrated-trumps-legal-claims-2020-election/story?id=74211479

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2020/12/03/trump-lawsuits-challenging-election-michigan-arizona-pennsylvania-georgia/6425725002/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/election-fraud-claims-a-state-by-state-guide-11609962846

https://apnews.com/article/ap-explains-fail-prove-election-fraud-d0f13ae6ca370c8716706d3f7d85659e

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/11/22/trumps-legal-team-cried-vote-fraud-but-courts-found-none/

Note that many of the judges that found these fraud claims to be baseless were Trump appointees. Were they part of the "Deep State" conspiracy?

Once upon a time there was real voter fraud, while I think many of the Chicago stories were apocryphal, having written a book on Texas history and politics, elections in the 1930s and 1940s were rife with voter fraud (See Caro, The Path to Power). But that is ancient history. The only documented frauds the last couple decades have been local elections and primaries, and as much by Republicans as Democrats. For one thing, the stakes in bigger elections and the money involved means both sides have the resources to research and expose real fraud.

Take this elsewhere please.  Kills the buzz of reading about our RB rotation and possibly taking a CB over an OT.

14 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

No, Scott is not a 'good' any kind of back.  He's serviceable at best, JAG at most realistic.  Remove his amazing feats against the Giants and he might even struggle to achieve full JAG status.

But, this team needs to get a legit #2 RB.  A bigger back with receiving ability would be nice.   No more relying on the JAGs of the past that got overvalued because they were better than the dreck before them.   Scott would be fine for 2021, due to all the other issues, but if he's on the roster in 2022, then fire the entire scouting department, from Howie on down.

As for Sanders... he regressed and had a large number of drops.  He needs to correct that.

Scott is a role player, just like Ward.  You have to have those players on your roster.  I would argue that both are good role players.  Greg Lewis was a role player, all he did was catch first downs.  Jason Avant was a good role player, great routes for short level pickups and a solid ST player.  Brent Celek, role player.  Big V, role player.  Quentin Mikell, role player.  Just about every LB in the last decade, role player.  Beau Allen, role player.  Vinny Curry, role player.  

Scott has a 4.4 yards per carry record and a 79% catch ratio with an 8.5 yards per reception rate.  About what one would hope for from a #3 RB.  

Ward is a product of how Pederson used the slot receiver that last couple of years.  5.3 yards to target this year but his average yards per reception was 7.9. 68% catch rate.  Best on the team of the WRs.  Can we improve at that position and move Ward down the pecking order?  Absolutely.  But he can be a Greg Lewis type player on this team.   

Both Ward and Scott got cast into positions above where they should be at this point.  Scott, while talented (great center of gravity and height to weight ratio) should not be the only back up to Sanders. That is a hole they need to fill.

BTW, every player on the roster regressed in catch percentage this year.  That lies on  Wentz, Hurts and mostly Doug and Press Taylor.  Taylor was raised to passing game coordinator, given a #1 pick plus two speedsters plus Ward and the passing game regressed.  

Don’t downplay the role players. We will never have a team where every player is an All Pro. Thing is, Sirianni has a reputation of using players for their strengths.  Scott should excel under him.  

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

If they want the Colts dude for there DC they need to hire now before the Texans job is filled.  Sort of like what DeFilippo did with us.  He signed before Reich was hired or DeFilippo would have been our OC. 

29 minutes ago, greend said:

Yup 

Archived