Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason - politics belong in CVON

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Amazing buffalo is at 60.9% pass and eagles 62%. Then again we trailed in a lot of games but watching buffalo they do pass a ton and feels like a good amount of runs they had was allen just rushing on a broken pass play. 

So the last 4 games of ours need taken out of that, because run is pretty much all we did.  

• Like 1

Just now, ManuManu said:

That tends to happen when you’re winning and run the ball late in the game. 

that's true too. you started it :roll:

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That’s actually pretty cool they did that  couldve done without his commentary tho

Miles Sanders, mid-round draft pick, Mark Ingram, Boston Scott would be nice.  I really think Boston Scott needs a decreased role, or we just keep him on the PS and activate him for NYG games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thrive said:

I glanced through this article quickly earlier just to see the parts about Duce turning down the OC role. What I missed was the fact that yet another article portrays Carson as an arse.

Folks on the EMB can keep burying their heads in the sand but Carson is a problem. He doesn’t just need a QB coach to fix him: he needs to grow up. And he needs to do it somewhere else.

I think there is some truth to the criticism of Wentz.  A QB doesn’t have to be every offensive player’s best friend but he does need to be a leader players can rally around.  He can and has been that.  I do wonder if there was frustration with Doug and Press and that Doug’s refusal to see the root cause (probably a combination of offensive scheme failure and Press incompetence) got Doug fired.   I do think Carson has to self scout though.  He needs to figure out how to bond with his less devout teammates so that they trust him as a leader.  Part of that is working on his mechanics.  He really needs to focus on ball placement.  What does each player like and have success with.  While Reagor can jump and hand catch a ball, he may prefer to be lead away from the DB too.  Carson jump balls (not floaters) may work for Goedert and JJAW but they are best where they can shield the DB with their backs.  Watkins and Hightower are body catchers. Both excel with a bit of a slant.  Hit Ward quick when he first gets open.  Watching the All 22, I noticed they had Ward running the running back routes a lot from the slant.  Those need to be quick throws.  Too often he had good separation but by the time the ball got there, the DB was closing the gap. That happened to Reagor too.  But the coach has to realize, conform to what the talent is.  Don’t expect every player to be able to run the same route.  So the blame gets spread.   Carson also needs to really work on fumbling. If Tiki could solve it, so can Carson.  Maybe Hurts and he can work on that together.  And Carson needs to make sure he isn’t Arseson.

11 minutes ago, greend said:

So the last 4 games of ours need taken out of that, because run is pretty much all we did.  

Last four games had 146 passes and 123 runs. More amazing weeks 15-17 we had 29 rushing attempts in each game according to espn. So the last four weeks it was 54% pass and 46% rushing attempts. 

up through week 13 was 732 passes and runs. 280 runs and 452 passes. Was 62-38 pass to run. If sacks are included it is a higher number than 62 in pass attempts 

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Miles Sanders, mid-round draft pick, Mark Ingram, Boston Scott would be nice.  I really think Boston Scott needs a decreased role, or we just keep him on the PS and activate him for NYG games.

Depends who the coach is

I think Dabol and Duce he would be a good fit. I think Mcdaniels and Siri it wouldnt be. 

10 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I kind of think Ingram is done tbh. He was hurt good portion of the year and even when he did play he didn’t look great. He’s likely be cheap so maybe you strike lightning in a bottle like you did with Blount but Blount was coming off a solid season. Ingram played just 11 games had 299 yard and 2 tds. Had a 4.2 yards per carry average but might be higher due to the Lamar jackson factor 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Doug with an edge would be a good coach to have IMO.

Especially since he has experience coaching both WRs and QBs. 9 years as an assistant, 3 years as an OC. Had Luck, Brissett and Rivers, 3 different QBs in 3 years.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SiriNi0.htm

He looks to me to be the best overall candidate on the offensive side, given both his experience and success. I'd have no problem if he's the choice.

What's impressive about Indy is they've done it without "name" skill players. They've used 1st rd picks on OL, but most of the skill players are UDFAs, their own or waiver wire.

RB:  Mack #143, Hines #104, Taylor #41, Wilkins #169

WR:  Hilton (29-31), Pascal UDFA, M Johnson UDFA (Eagles 2017), C Rogers UDFA, Pittman #34

TE:  Doyle (UDFA), Ebron #10 (but cut by Detroit), Burton UDFA (signed as FA), Alie-Cox UDFA

OL:  Castanzo #22, Nelson #6 (all pro), Kelly #18 (pro bowl), Glowinski #134 (waived by Seattle), Smith #37

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Has been linked to McDaniels. 

It's feeling like Siranni is the guy. A lot of beat writers have been hinting his way starting yesterday. Feels like leaks are being put out there to prep the fan base.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Best place if he wants to be like de facto HC of the defense is atlanta but they lack a lot of talent in their secondary and need upgrades along their DL 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

It's feeling like Siranni is the guy. A lot of beat writers have been hinting his way starting yesterday. Feels like leaks are being put out there to prep the fan base.

I would be waaaay more excited about Siranni than Josh McDaniels. 

• Like 7

Not that it matters, but Kempski said Eagles privately shot down the report they were going to Interview Cowboys ST coach John Fassel.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Not that it matters, but Kempski said Eagles privately shot down the report they were going to Interview Cowboys ST coach John Fassel.

Better question is will Jim Fassel cry about it like the giants cried about our tanking. I only ask cause he was HC of the giants so i assumed it rubs off on all their players, coaches and staff past or present. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John_C said:

This makes sense, provided you have the opportunity and resources to take that store/team/entity to the top.  A good example would be Jacksonville, which starts with some talent in hand, the top pick in the draft, control (with new GM brought on board to help manage personnel).  Many reasons why that job was attractive to urban meyer.

The constraints on the Eagles right now -- state of the roster, lack of young talent, the salary cap being a disaster, the ownership and personnel leadership situation, the recent corroborated reports of meddling in the head coaches staff and undermining his decisions, the QB situation -- just to name a few, lol -- make this the furthest thing from a quick turnaround situation.

Meyer took a pay day.  Jax isn't an example for anything, they went to Meyer to bring in fans.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Feels like today is the day. 

Unless it’s one of the guys still in playoffs

16 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I think there is some truth to the criticism of Wentz.  A QB doesn’t have to be every offensive player’s best friend but he does need to be a leader players can rally around.  He can and has been that.  I do wonder if there was frustration with Doug and Press and that Doug’s refusal to see the root cause (probably a combination of offensive scheme failure and Press incompetence) got Doug fired.   I do think Carson has to self scout though.  He needs to figure out how to bond with his less devout teammates so that they trust him as a leader.  Part of that is working on his mechanics.  He really needs to focus on ball placement.  What does each player like and have success with.  While Reagor can jump and hand catch a ball, he may prefer to be lead away from the DB too.  Carson jump balls (not floaters) may work for Goedert and JJAW but they are best where they can shield the DB with their backs.  Watkins and Hightower are body catchers. Both excel with a bit of a slant.  Hit Ward quick when he first gets open.  Watching the All 22, I noticed they had Ward running the running back routes a lot from the slant.  Those need to be quick throws.  Too often he had good separation but by the time the ball got there, the DB was closing the gap. That happened to Reagor too.  But the coach has to realize, conform to what the talent is.  Don’t expect every player to be able to run the same route.  So the blame gets spread.   Carson also needs to really work on fumbling. If Tiki could solve it, so can Carson.  Maybe Hurts and he can work on that together.  And Carson needs to make sure he isn’t Arseson.

Of course Wentz can be criticized.  Putting out a hit piece on Wentz with a headline that he is the reason the Eagles may not hire Duce to be head coach, however, is pure horse manure and garbage reporting.  Does he actually think Duce is the only coach available that holds players accountable?

Asserting that the Eagles are incompetent because they couldn’t hire Saleh — B.S. — Saleh interviewed with lots of teams

Asserting the Eagles are incompetent because they couldn’t hire Arthur Smith — B.S. — Smith interviewed with lots of teams

Asserting they’re incompetent because they got turned down by Lincoln Riley — B.S. — Riley is already at a top-10 earning NFL head coach salary and wouldn’t get fired at OU in the next 20 years.

Just trash reporting, because he thinks the Eagles should have hired a head coach in five minutes — even after being told by Lurie himself what the process was going to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Short drive though, amirite?

There and back during a commercial break.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RLC said:

I would be waaaay more excited about Siranni than Josh McDaniels. 

Love to know why.  And don't pretend like you knew who Sirianni was before this week.  My guess is you like him because he's not Josh McD.  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Saleh probably has the most experience, but DCs? Who knows?

Cambell? Meh. Staley, long shot hot name. Smith is in a bad situation, has to win with Ryan the next couple years. Not sure why he took that job.

Agree on Meyer, college coaches have a horrid track record if they don't have NFL experience.

There is no 'sure thing' among any of the hires, and I didn't get the sense anyone pulled an "AR" in their Eagle interviews, they seemed to like Smith, McDaniels and Sirianni the best so far. So while Smith might have been one of the final four, his loss to the Eagles doesn't constitute a disaster, the others, I doubt the Eagles had much interest.

I'm less surprised with the Eagle long march than with the speed with which many franchises jumped on new HCs instead of casting a wider net. I mean no one out there was in the category of "I can't believe this guy hit the street."

Can we quit with this narrative? I'm sure head coaches come into interviews prepared with a plan, including coaching staffs and assessments of the talent on the roster. It'd be insane not to, and any owner with an IQ above 50 would instantly end the interview if the prospective coach wasn't prepared. 

Andy Reid is on his way to being a legendary coach, if he isn't there already, and yes his preparedness got him the job, but finding another Andy Reid is just so unlikely. When it's all said and done, Andy will be regarded as the offensive genius of this time, and Belichek his defensive genius counterpart (imagine them coaching a team together!). My point is we shouldn't necessarily be trying to find the "Next Andy Reid", because frankly, he doesn't exist. 

Whoever Lurie hires, he's gonna be met with equal acclaim and criticism, and only when he starts actually coaching games will we know if he was good. I will say, Lurie has done a pretty good job so far in his HC hires, so I give him the benefit of the doubt, and don't mind that he didn't rush in to anything. 

I love Andy, I think he's a great human being from all accounts, I wish him nothing but the very best, and appreciate all he did for this team. But damn man, you gotta move on, he's been gone almost 10 years now. 

To fire Doug and hire some coach they weren’t locked in on from the beginning would be the final straw for me with this team. Imagine pursuing the protege of the protege of the guy you just fired. Clown world.

• Haha 1

This is long overdue for the Bengals.  They have horrible uniforms.  I really wish the Eagles would freshen up their look.  Even if they don't go back to Kelly Green, their uniforms are tired, the logos/fonts scream 90s.  

• Like 1