EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I'm guessing they just want him to be their RB's coach since they just lost their own and I don't see them firing Bill Lazor.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Thanks.  I generally hope we were all inspired and sang along with Garth on Wednesday.  I have always found inspiration (albeit probably different than most) in the verse:

I once was lost but now I’m found,
Was blind but now I see.

It is a daily task for all of us to overcome our blind spots and see clearly and full hearted. I probably fail more than I should but I will try again tomorrow.  I kind of suspect Jeff Lurie feels similarly.  My favorite rich owner by a large magnitude. 

Have you seen the movie "Amazing Grace."

While there are the customary historical inaccuracies, it's generally a pretty good account of the campaign to end the British slave trade.

Whether the hymn was written to express Newton's contrition for his time as a slave trader is uncertain, but that may have been an influence, though it was much later than he became an active abolitionist and encouraged Wilberforce in his political campaign. Weird thing is we rented the movie for my evangelical in-laws when they came to visit, they didn't really like it, guess it was too "Christian" for their tastes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace_(2006_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Newton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

12 minutes ago, jwill2420 said:

He was horrible 😂 

Funny how he just happened to partner up with a pimp for a while at the end of his career 

His promo stuff leading up to his debut was awful too. I hated him but he was funny at times. 

7 minutes ago, RLC said:

Why does his race matter?  Does he count as a minority?  It's exhausting reading about people put in positions and before any qualifications they tell you the persons race.  Goodness the majority of the new cabinet is made up of first (insert race/gender) and it makes me wonder if they were put in their positions because they are built for the job or because they want to have a full list of firsts. 

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Why does his race matter?  Does he count as a minority?  It's exhausting reading about people put in positions and before any qualifications they tell you the persons race.  Goodness the majority of the new cabinet is made up of first (insert race/gender) and it makes me wonder if they were put in their positions because they are built for the job or because they want to have a full list of firsts. 

If he’s the first of his descent/race is it not noteworthy?

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I don’t think there’s overt racism, just a systemic problem that there aren’t more white CBs in the nfl.  I think the league should have some meetings and adopt some policies to encourage more white people to ascend the professional ranks as cornerbacks.

If someone said that seriously, you’d ask them when their next klan meeting was.  

We all saw what happened to ferris. He went to the combine,  worked out as a CB, and never even got a call.  Cause he's white. 

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Man, if they hire McCown as HC there will be riots.

Is it offensive if I state my opinion that there isn’t a "whiter” guy in the NFL than Josh McCown?

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

If he’s the first of his descent/race is it not noteworthy?

Noteworthy yes, first thing mentioned no.  I'm more interested in his doctorate to be honest.  What's it in?  What scheme does he run and so on.  There's a difference in being noteworthy and being the leading information. 

Just so we're clear, the Texans hiring McCown would be dumb because he's never coached before. Interviewing him at all shows that they don't understand the process at all. There's a major difference trying to find the next Andy Reid, Mike Tomlin, Marv Levy and hiring someone who has never done it. Hell, McCown isn't qualified to be an OC!

22 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

:offtopic:

For the lawyers out there:

Can you recommend some readings describing exactly what constitutes creating a hostile work environment? I am serving as "counsel" to a colleague who Is facing a disciplinary hearing at my university.

His crimes?

He said "Hello ladies" to a group of female graduate students and referred to a male job applicant as "charming." 

There are other "offenses", but you get the drift.

Not a lawyer but we offered insurance that addressed these sort of claims.  Found that educational facilities tended to be more sensitive to what they might interpret as a hostile work environment than most locations and a disciplinary action is much different than a EEOC hearing or a civil court.  The Supreme Court recently addressed a hostile environment case in part in Vance v Ball State.  Reviewing Ball and its citations may be useful.  Do you have access to Lexis or Westlaw? 

One would presume your colleague would be in a supervisory position to the grad students.    Many court cases hold that the level of the harassing environment be severe and pervasive as to constrain the ability of the affected worker to perform their job. It has to be actionable as well.  Sounds like the University has collected a group of offenses to try and show a level of pervasiveness and probably focused towards gender(?).  The difficulty they might have in the examples put forth is if no employee witnessed both events, it might not be construed as pervasive enough to have impacted an employee.  

Now many places of employment publish guidelines that mirror what the courts have found actionable.  Many have zero tolerance policies.  One strike and you are out.  Reviewing the policy may assist.  Academia with its tenure positions makes this a bit more complicated.  Had your colleague been warned at any point, for example?  Does the disciplinary hearing have published rules of procedure and evidentiary rules as to what is admissible?  What doesn’t warrant action at an EEOC level or court interpretation of statute may not prohibit a disciplinary action.  Is your colleague an at will employee or contracted or represented through collective bargaining.  All of that can play a factor in the defense.

6 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Is it offensive if I state my opinion that there isn’t a "whiter” guy in the NFL than Josh McCown?

I've never noticed until today how much he looks like Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago - he has the perfect face bone structure i mean look at that  gorgeous face everything is beautiful i won't even talk about his body....image.png.8aace39ea608ffca1057e252fe7ba69a.png

2 hours ago, jwill2420 said:

We really don’t know what type of offense Duce would have out there. He’s never gotten a chance. 

We can only assume at this point well anything but truth is Duce is always getting looked over and he did deserve a shot. 

He was given a chance, he declined the opportunity to be the OC here in 2018. He did this to himself. 

Good news is looks like he finally got an interview from another team....but not as a HC or coordinator. You're banging down the door for Duce but what other team has interviewed him for HC? Or OC for that matter? 

People don't "deserve" anything, it needs to be earned. Declining leadership opportunities does not help you earn anything. Simply being somewhere for a long time doesn't earn you anything. 

4 hours ago, BigEFly said:

And the success of AR OCs as head coaches, Doug, Nagy, Childress, and the former two seemingly limited abilities as play callers once out from under AR?

Right... it’s one of the reasons I didn’t want him.

If the only experience you have is under a HOF head coach and a generational level talent at QB, I really have to question how much of that offense you’re actually responsible for. How much of a marginal difference do you make in that scenario?

29 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'm guessing they just want him to be their RB's coach since they just lost their own and I don't see them firing Bill Lazor.

They want him to fixe Foles

17 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Noteworthy yes, first thing mentioned no.  I'm more interested in his doctorate to be honest.  What's it in?  What scheme does he run and so on.  There's a difference in being noteworthy and being the leading information. 

It’s a tweet. You’re clearly triggered by all this stuff. 

23 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

If someone is the first of their race (and a minority) to do something - especially a race with extremely limited involvement in the sport as players or coaches - and you don't think that's awesome and a good thing for both that community and the sport, well that probably says a lot about you to be honest.

1 hour ago, Desertbirds said:

Can you recommend some readings describing exactly what constitutes creating a hostile work environment? I am serving as "counsel" to a colleague who Is facing a disciplinary hearing at my university.

His crimes?

He said "Hello ladies" to a group of female graduate students and referred to a male job applicant as "charming." 

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense.  I'd advise him to go work somewhere else. :lol:

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I've never noticed until today how much he looks like Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago - he has the perfect face bone structure i mean look at that  gorgeous face everything is beautiful i won't even talk about his body....image.png.8aace39ea608ffca1057e252fe7ba69a.png

image.gif.e364907dd21ba487578a498ea028fee6.gif

8 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Not a lawyer but we offered insurance that addressed these sort of claims.  Found that educational facilities tended to be more sensitive to what they might interpret as a hostile work environment than most locations and a disciplinary action is much different than a EEOC hearing or a civil court.  The Supreme Court recently addressed a hostile environment case in part in Vance v Ball State.  Reviewing Ball and its citations may be useful.  Do you have access to Lexis or Westlaw? 

One would presume your colleague would be in a supervisory position to the grad students.    Many court cases hold that the level of the harassing environment be severe and pervasive as to constrain the ability of the affected worker to perform their job. It has to be actionable as well.  Sounds like the University has collected a group of offenses to try and show a level of pervasiveness and probably focused towards gender(?).  The difficulty they might have in the examples put forth is if no employee witnessed both events, it might not be construed as pervasive enough to have impacted an employee.  

Now many places of employment publish guidelines that mirror what the courts have found actionable.  Many have zero tolerance policies.  One strike and you are out.  Reviewing the policy may assist.  Academia with its tenure positions makes this a bit more complicated.  Had your colleague been warned at any point, for example?  Does the disciplinary hearing have published rules of procedure and evidentiary rules as to what is admissible?  What doesn’t warrant action at an EEOC level or court interpretation of statute may not prohibit a disciplinary action.  Is your colleague an at will employee or contracted or represented through collective bargaining.  All of that can play a factor in the defense.

Thanks for the detailed response. I will read Vance v Ball State.

I find the whole enterprise to be quite distasteful. I view the university to be acting in a retaliatory manner as my colleague has sued the university over age discrimination. Apparently, there are sufficient grounds to his claims that the State and Feds are looking in to it.

There is also double jeopardy - some of the current allegations are the same ones that were dismissed in a previous hearing.

I also believe that the university has violated provisions under Title IX.

Heres another WR for you. A weapon to use in space. Possibly Ward upgrade. Better speed, and elusiveness. 

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Heres another WR for you. A weapon to use in space. Possibly Ward upgrade. Better speed, and elusiveness. 

Maybe as an UDFA

1 hour ago, Desertbirds said:

His crimes?

Isn't it specific to each individual institution? I could be wrong, but while there may be general overlapping, I think each has its own guidelines and policies. Does the university outline what they consider unacceptable behavior?

Though it may not matter, because in a world where feelings now matter more than reality, whatever someone "feels" takes priority over whether or not it actually falls under any said guideline violations or policies, and in a world of cowards, higher-ups afraid of criticism tend to take the path of least resistance(blowback to their careers)

39 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Have you seen the movie "Amazing Grace."

While there are the customary historical inaccuracies, it's generally a pretty good account of the campaign to end the British slave trade.

Whether the hymn was written to express Newton's contrition for his time as a slave trader is uncertain, but that may have been an influence, though it was much later than he became an active abolitionist and encouraged Wilberforce in his political campaign. Weird thing is we rented the movie for my evangelical in-laws when they came to visit, they didn't really like it, guess it was too "Christian" for their tastes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace_(2006_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Newton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace

I have not seen the movie. I will watch for it.  Thanks for the information.  The last religiously inspired movie I may have seen was "Lillies of the Field” so I’m probably due.

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Isn't it specific to each individual institution? I could be wrong, but while there may be general overlapping, I think each has its own guidelines and policies. Does the university outline what they consider unacceptable behavior?

Though it may not matter, because in a world where feelings now matter more than reality, whatever someone "feels" takes priority over whether or not it actually falls under any said guideline violations or policies, and in a world of cowards, higher-ups afraid of criticism tend to take the path of least resistance(blowback to their careers)

The university's guidelines are so vague as to be meaningless. There are also First Amendment issues.

41 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Is diversity and acknowledging it an issue?  I don’t see it.

Archived