Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason - politics belong in CVON

8 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Then they shouldn’t have fired Doug. Let alone firing him and keeping Howie. The guy is not a bad coach. They’re scapegoating him and it’s absurd. It’s such a bad look. Most coaching hires in the NFL fail, and the Eagles got one who while flawed has proven he’s pretty good at the very least and who knows how things would’ve gone if Howie could actually draft talent.

They should have known their job would be unattractive and they’d have to settle for other guys. Just keep Doug then and make it work. It’s totally insane that Doug got the boot and Howie is still here. Just infuriating.

I don’t disagree howie shouldn’t be here. I also agree doug probably looks much better with better talent. However that doesn’t excuse Doug for his flaws he’s shown over the last two years. How many times have we asked Doug  to run the ball more because Miles Sanders is playing well and he decides to throw more with a bad offensive line. Or no rollouts. Or just bad play calls. How many times have we said the first three months of the season Doug doesn’t know how to use his personnel correctly? Routinely. like using Jalen Reagor in motion, on jet sweeps and running with him and Watkins. The fact that he had Greg Ward on a trick play pass when he’s been on the roster for over 20 games and chose in a meaningless game to do it is on doug. Doug is not innocent in this. And you say some flaws he had some of the most uninspiring and uncreative place. They had sources saying that his play book was dubious and stale. Heck Brandon Graham came on WIP yesterday and when ask if doug held players accountable he responded with he’s working on it. That’s not a particularly good answer. 

However i wanted both gone and to start over  

However you’re still missing the reports that of come out saying that doug didn’t really wanna be here anymore. There was a report before the season he was OK with being fired. There was a report midseason he was looking to get out. And then he gave them Fing Cory undlin as defensive coordinator and press Taylor as offensive coordinator. What do you think was gonna happen giving them that solution? He also didn’t want to be here. Scapegoat or not he also made a decision to have that as a plan and think it would fly 

8 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

:wacko:  Please tell me we aren't going to have the uniform discussion again.....

I would wait to celebrate the Bengals decision until we see the knew uni...

Just submitted my design

FUBU Football Jersey Size 3XL Orange Blue Gray Fade 05 Sport Classic  Edition #FUBU #Jerseys | Football jerseys, Blue grey, Mens tops

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

They should only fire a Super bowl winning coach if they have a) a guy in mind they think is at least as good if not better and b) confident they have a strong chance of getting them.

If neither happens, you have an awful process, and firing Doug was totally laughable.

Nothing against guys like Sirianni or Moore, they could be great coaches, but if they hire either I’m not watching a game next season. I was already leaning that way anyway by not hiring Howie, but I’m beyond fed up with this organization. To do Doug dirty like that would be completely indefensible.

I don’t think you were reading the current status of the team correctly.  They won 4 games and, if not for beating backup QBs, could have easily gone 1-14-1 with how they performed as a group.  Despite that, Doug was going to be retained and given another season to turn things around.  He had a meeting with his boss and submitted a business plan for the future that was ghastly, and reeked of incompetence:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

but if they hire either I’m not watching a game next season. I was already leaning that way anyway 

definition

fan_bandwagon_clean1.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, RLC said:

Don't project. Just because you don't follow other teams, doesn't mean other people don't.

Siranni interviewed for the Browns' head coaching job. He's the OC of a top 12 offense. 
It's not like he's some unknown.

Oh wow. ...... a top 12 offense??!!!   Holy ish.

You had no clue who he was before this week.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, phil77 said:

I have really come around on Sirianni.  I think he will be a solid hire.  Seems like a very good coach at multiple positions on the offensive side of the ball. 

I like him the best out of all the current options. I would like to see what staff he would put together before I can get excited though. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I'm not certain about Sirianni either, but Pittman did look good by the end of the year. Pascal looked good in games too.

Reich also credited him with hines and Taylor’s development and usage in the pass game. I’d also add Keenan Allen had his best season as a pro when he was the WR coach. Allen was not the Keenan Allen we know today before that massive season where he was a top 5 wr that year. Also did good work with tyrelle Williams so he could ge true contract he did with Oakland/Vegas. Pittman and pascal like you said by the end of the season we’re playing well and showed big development from beginning to end of the season. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You had no clue who he was before this week.  

It's ok to admit you didn't know what other people did. That's how people learn and grow.

There are legitimate concerns with Sirianni. He's been coaching for a relatively limited time. He's only worked for offensive HCs, so it's hard to figure out how much credit he deserves for his team's success. He could easily flame out.

• Like 1

Most likely won't like the hire.

Most likely won't like seeing Carson.

Am I watching every damn minute every interview every second still?

Hell yes.

--- Right now we are in a bad spot. I don't feel good about the next 1-3 years for this team but things will get better. A bad year still = good trade picks to get excited about. Always something!.

If anything there are the flyers too.. They keep my spirits up and my Hart jersey came in yesterday eeeeee

5 minutes ago, vaeagle2 said:

definition

fan_bandwagon_clean1.gif

I’m not waiting for the next 12 hours; this is the post of the day  😂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I like him the best out of all the current options. I would like to see what staff he would put together before I can get excited though. 

where the Eagles currently sit with their roster and what they’re going to have to do is a rebuild. So you better have somebody that’s good at player development of young players. Because we don’t have the money this year to just spend in free agency. And we are likely getting rid of some high priced players with minimal or young replacements. 

Sack the QB was thrilled about mcdaniels a couple days ago. He still might wind up being the guy. But he’s sour cause it might not be 

I'd also add Sirianni worked most of his professional career with Phillip Rivers who is, I don't know the best way to put it, a misunderstood? player. And by all accounts the two were generally successful together and had no hesitation to rejoin in 2020 on the Colts. He also had a year with Andrew Luck. I think he brings some clout and might possibly know how to get the most out of another possibly misunderstood QB on this team.

Just saying Campbell’s presser is going to be hard to beat that was straight up awesome 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Yeah all those passes really worked well for Buffalo last week.  What was it, 6 points in the first half?

Nice, so dynamic

So we're gonna ignore the previous 17 games lol . Ok

Count me in the very small group who prefers Mcdaniels over Sirianni.

And I really don’t need that idiot Spadaro to create an "Ask Siri” podcast on the Eagles website.  They should hire someone else based on that alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'd also add Sirianni worked most of his professional career with Phillip Rivers who is, I don't know the best way to put it, misunderstood? player. And by all accounts the two were generally successful together and had no hesitation to rejoin in 2020 on the Colts. He also had a year with Andrew Luck. I think he brings some clout and might possibly know how to get the most out of another possibly misunderstood QB on this team.

I believe his dad and brother are/were also coaches

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Just saying Campbell’s presser is going to be hard to beat that was straight up awesome 

The identity of a beaten down city that will never come back or be relevant again.  

• Confused 1

Maybe it's just me but this Matt Campbell PC drives me nuts when it comes to HC's.

I would roll my eyes into the back of my head if a guy said something like this on the Eagles. 

Just now, eagle45 said:

The identity of a beaten down city that will never come back or be relevant again.  

I never said i agreed with him but that was a hell of a intro presser 

7 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

C’mon, Manu, given their track record, the Eagles beat reporters deserve some skepticism.  They may well have some sources but there is a reason to be skeptical of some of the sources too.  They are viewpoints a lot of the time not fully supported by the facts.  Right now must be an awful time to be a reporter.  No off the cuff remarks, overheard tidbits but deliberate and oft times with a purpose leaks.  Agent? Team? Player with a grudge or focus.  If I was a WR and knew there were plays where Carson went to a comfort blanket check down to Ertz rather than throwing to me because I was partly covered, might I complain anonymously through the press?  Probably if nothing else to get the coaches to pay attention and critique the QB.  We all think that happened with Alshon.  I can also see the reasoning from Carson’s viewpoint because one of the football data sites had Jeffery as the closest WR to the coverage back in 2016 and 2017.  But if Carson doesn’t go to the press and coaches refuse to throw a player under the bus, what results is a one viewpoint report. So, yes, reporters have sources but a number don’t get both sides of the story, although some try.  And some are clickbait ****s or antagonists (WIP - which seems to be radio today, blame ESPN and Rush Limbaugh). and some like McLane have an axe to grind with one side.  Some seem to be just opinion writers without much in the way of sources, Kempski and the BGN group.  Heck, if they or Florio cite a source it is usually citing another reporter’s piece.

Bingo, it seems like journalists and reporters today are not even taught to get the whole story and to get it right. Speed and sensationalism are the name of the game. How many clicks, reshares, or likes can you get? What kind of hot take is needed to get this article on page one of google? How can your story stand out? And can you get the scoop first (regardless of whether it is factual or not)? This is what media members today are taught, and for those journalists who learn the old way of doing things, they struggle to make a name for themselves due to all of the clickbait artists. The quality of writing in journalism and level of fact-checking in reporting is not what it used to be.

The worst part is that this fly by the seat of your pants behavior is rewarded. As you mentioned, celebrity types are increasingly outspoken, and they feed the media machine (especially when they feel like they were wronged). Furthermore, the consequences for getting a story completely wrong no longer exist. Americans attention spans are too short to keep up with your mistakes and inadequacy as a reporter, we just want the next thing. And finally, we (Americans) reward people with strong opinions because they are controversial; they are a circus sideshow, and we crave the drama. Everyone feels their opinion matters; me venting my frustration on a forum proves that point. But no ones opinion matters for long any more. Unfortunately, any quality editorial or journalistic work swiftly vanishes into the ether that is media. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I never said i agreed with him but that was a hell of a intro presser 

Oh I agree, it was outstanding.  Just pointing out that the overly literal interpretation should acknowledge the reality that the city of Detroit is stuck in a clogged fesces-filled toilet from which it will never return.

• Like 1

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Maybe it's just me but this stuff drives me nuts when it comes to HC's. I would roll my eyes into the back of my head if a guy said something like this on the Eagles. 

Idk i feel like that fan base can relate to that type of presser he gave. It’s what they’ve all felt for 50-60 years of being a lions fan. Normally I’d agree with you but I’m this case i feel like that fan base needed something like that. He winds up failing cause it’s the lions and they are going to be the lions. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

C’mon, Manu, given their track record, the Eagles beat reporters deserve some skepticism.  They may well have some sources but there is a reason to be skeptical of some of the sources too.  They are viewpoints a lot of the time not fully supported by the facts.  Right now must be an awful time to be a reporter.  No off the cuff remarks, overheard tidbits but deliberate and oft times with a purpose leaks.  Agent? Team? Player with a grudge or focus.  If I was a WR and knew there were plays where Carson went to a comfort blanket check down to Ertz rather than throwing to me because I was partly covered, might I complain anonymously through the press?  Probably if nothing else to get the coaches to pay attention and critique the QB.  We all think that happened with Alshon.  I can also see the reasoning from Carson’s viewpoint because one of the football data sites had Jeffery as the closest WR to the coverage back in 2016 and 2017.  But if Carson doesn’t go to the press and coaches refuse to throw a player under the bus, what results is a one viewpoint report. So, yes, reporters have sources but a number don’t get both sides of the story, although some try.  And some are clickbait ****s or antagonists (WIP - which seems to be radio today, blame ESPN and Rush Limbaugh). and some like McLane have an axe to grind with one side.  Some seem to be just opinion writers without much in the way of sources, Kempski and the BGN group.  Heck, if they or Florio cite a source it is usually citing another reporter’s piece.

Amen.  Just recirculated garbage from Florio, especially.

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I believe his dad and brother are/were also coaches

Yup, he has 2 brothers that were/are HC's along with his father, although it was at lower college programs. I forget where, it was on ITB pod yesterday. It's definitely a coaches family.

• Like 2