Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason - politics belong in CVON

59 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think some of the folks around here are secretly fans of 'say yes to the dress'... my wife is obsessed with that show and watches it on her phone.. and I can't for the life of me figure out the allure.

My wife was on that show...not featured, they gave her a huge discount to continuously get fitted in the background while doing the show for someone else.  

I can’t say I understand the appeal either.  Even with the discount that crap is expensive.  

12 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

How? His team wasn’t in the playoffs and they didn’t even interview him first. He was like down the line. How do you know that jedd fisch (howie’s college roommate) who worked with mcdaniels last year didn’t call Howie Roseman and say hey you should interview Josh McDaniels. they didn’t even have him on the list until then. That doesn’t seem like the plan. That seems like somebody who howie is friends with told him about them and they went and interviewed him.

I’m going off Bo Wulf and Caplan/Mosher saying he was high on their list all along and Lurie has always liked Josh.

10 minutes ago, greend said:

They interviewed McDaniels, If Sirianni beats him out in an interview wtf does that have to do with not having a guy in mind? This boils down to you stomping your feet because they didn't go with your boy. Your argument is weak. 

This isn’t completely accurate. Is there an aspect of me being bitter for not getting my way? Of course. That’s a part of being a fan. I’m an absolute C when I don’t get my way. But there’s more to it besides that. For one, I want Joe Brady more than I want McDaniels. I just think it’s obvious he isn’t in the mix anymore, so I don’t bring him up as much. McDaniels was 4th on my list behind Riley, Brady, Daboll a week ago. I’d be fine with McDaniels but I’m not gushing over the guy.

The interview process is only part of it. I don’t think you can hire someone solely based off an interview. Body of work has to factor in too. Say what you want about McDaniels, but it’s undeniable his resume is superior to Sirianni’s.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I hate this guy already 

Truly embarrassing, all that tough guy talk goes right out the window at 0-3 or 0-4.

21 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I’m always down for chatting Eagles, but watching them is a different story. To me I separate being purposely or naturally bad to being bad via incompetence. The process Sixers were horrible, but they were horrible on purpose. So while I didn’t watch them every night because the product was bad, when I did watch I didn’t get pissed off or miserable because I knew they weren’t constructed to win, so there’s really no purpose in being angry. If anything, I was happy when they lost for draft pick purposes.

And then there’s times where your team say is great for a long time and then just gets old and has to rebuild and sucks for a few years. That’s understandable as well.

But the kind of sucking when you constantly make mistakes and refuse to admit them, actually legitimately try but you’re just aimless and clueless, or not trying at all(John Middleton) then that’s a whole other story. 

For me anyway, psychologicaloh there’s a difference in watching a team that was great but got old and now is bad, vs watching a team where your owner just cut off the funding midway through a build and left the team incomplete and you have to watch them blow games because they didn’t allow any bullpen pitchers to be added, so they’d blow games night after night after night. 

One thing I’m not going to do is sit down and when I’m going over things I want to do for the night... ie hang out with friends, read a book, write, watch a new movie or tv series... I’m not going to choose wasting 3 hours watching a team where the owner flat out refused to spent enough money to make it a contender and have me spending 3 hours angry aNd cursing at the tv. That ain’t happening anymore. And if that makes me fairweather then it does. It’s kind of become a negative term in sports circles, but it really doesn’t have to be and it shouldn’t be. I didn’t watch a single Phillies game between 1994 and 2006. I jumped back on the bandwagon in 2007 and then followed it into 2008 and didn’t enjoy that championship run any less. I used to think you had to be there for all the lows to truly understand the feeling of a championship, but that experience to me changed my mind on that stance completely.

I’m not saying it has to be a good or bad thing. I just said that’s what it sounds like to me. Usually as a sports fan the longer you stick it out with the pain aspect of it makes when they win that much sweeter and that much greater appreciation for when they do achieve their goal. The reason why that Super Bowl was absolutely amazing for all of us is because we were on the boards and we were watching the games even when they were bad with Chip Kelley at the end. When they were awful with Andy Reid at the end. When they were bad at the end with Ray Rhodes. and when Richie Kotite couldn’t coaches way of wet paper bag. And so on and so forth. That’s why grown men cried is cause of all the pain we went through and years of investing paid off 

I am definitely not saying you have to watch every single game. I can’t even do that although I would love to watch more flyers and Sixers game but living out on the West Coast I can’t do it. But you just completely abandon them and leave them for dead because they’re not playing well or they’re not good.  To me I care if they suck or they’re good but I’m still going to invest watching in them because it’s something that’s dear to my heart and that I grew up watching with my family and my grandparents so it means more to me when I’m watching it  

7 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I’m going off Bo Wulf and Caplan/Mosher saying he was high on their list all along and Lurie has always liked Josh.

This isn’t completely accurate. Is there an aspect of me being bitter for not getting my way? Of course. That’s a part of being a fan. I’m an absolute C when I don’t get my way. But there’s more to it besides that. For one, I want Joe Brady more than I want McDaniels. I just think it’s obvious he isn’t in the mix anymore, so I don’t bring him up as much. McDaniels was 4th on my list behind Riley, Brady, Daboll a week ago. I’d be fine with McDaniels but I’m not gushing over the guy.

The interview process is only part of it. I don’t think you can hire someone solely based off an interview. Body of work has to factor in too. Say what you want about McDaniels, but it’s undeniable his resume is superior to Sirianni’s.

No offense Adam caplan loves to say things after the fact like he knew. If you ever listen to the podcast hes always saying after the fact oh yeah I always knew that this was a thing. So why didn’t you say that prior to all this starting? Not once did he ever mentioned mcdaniels nor the eagles interest in mcdaniels til he interviewed. He doesn’t. He loves to be the guy that says I knew all a long after the fact. Meanwhile never mentioned him prior. 

additionally i don’t think mosher ever said that. I listen to him on 973 say he didn’t even know he was on the list originally

as for bo I’m pretty sure he joked about it cause they name dropped Josh in the presser. He said he was told the news about his interview days after the first couple of interviews. He didn’t know when their starter nor did he say he was a top candidate all along. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I hate this guy already 

That reeks of more show & style than substance. 

Belichick and AR invest 0 energy into putting up a front.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

And yet it has nothing to do with their "plan" or lack thereof. If they like Sirianni better then they do. As impatient as I've been I think the Eagles went about this the right way. Interview everyone and see who's a fit and/or who they like better.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I mean so did Adam Gase cause he had Peyton manning. That seemed to work out great. I love people on this board downplay other candidates but mcdaniels has flaws and failed without Brady and Brady has proven to be elite without him. And other coaches got more out of Bradford then mcdaniels. yet he’s flawless and unquestioned and we attack other candidates. Like sirianni has his own flaws too. He’s not perfect either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greend said:

And yet it has nothing to do with their "plan" or lack thereof. If they like Sirianni better then they do. As impatient as I've been I think the Eagles went about this the right way. Interview everyone and see who's a fit and/or who they like better.

I mean, if the logic is that we gotta be cool with whomever they hire because they crushed it in the interview, then that should apply universally. If they brought in Greg Lewis for an interview and hired him, the same logic would apply. Or anyone else. Hell, if they brought Adam Gase in and he crushed the interview it should apply as well. Let's be real, no Eagles fans would be down with that hire.

At the end of the day, not getting your preference is always going to factor into how much any fan accepts or doesn't accept a hire, but I don't even dislike Sirianni. It's a combination of me preferring others and them hiring the protege of the protege of the man they just fired(who won a SB) that would piss me off. But I don't believe in just accepting whomever they pick and just going along with it. If people actually legitimately like the hire that's fine, but no one should ever like something just because they feel obligated to agree with their team's process.

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Idk i feel like that fan base can relate to that type of presser he gave. It’s what they’ve all felt for 50-60 years of being a lions fan. Normally I’d agree with you but I’m this case i feel like that fan base needed something like that. He winds up failing cause it’s the lions and they are going to be the lions. 

Sounds to me like he just skipped lunch.  He won't stop talking about eating and taking chunks out of kneecaps and coming back for more.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I mean so did Adam Gase cause he had Peyton manning. That seemed to work out great. I love people on this board downplay other candidates but mcdaniels has flaws and failed without Brady and Brady has proven to be elite without him. And other coaches got more out of Bradford then mcdaniels. yet he’s flawless and unquestioned and we attack other candidates. Like sirianni has his own flaws too. He’s not perfect either. 

And Sirianni could be a way better coach than McDaniels will ever be. No one knows. I'm just saying I don't think a team should reward someone a job solely on who wins the interview. At least I'd hope not. Someone may be super charismatic and likeable, but may not be a great coach. That doesn't mean that the better interview will not have proven to be the better choice in the end, but I think over a large sample, just picking the best interview is a flawed process. JMO.

6 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I mean, if the logic is that we gotta be cool with whomever they hire because they crushed it in the interview, then that should apply universally. If they brought in Greg Lewis for an interview and hired him, the same logic would apply. Or anyone else. Hell, if they brought Adam Gase in and he crushed the interview it should apply as well. Let's be real, no Eagles fans would be down with that hire.

At the end of the day, not getting your preference is always going to factor into how much any fan accepts or doesn't accept a hire, but I don't even dislike Sirianni. It's a combination of me preferring others and them hiring the protege of the protege of the man they just fired(who won a SB) that would piss me off. But I don't believe in just accepting whomever they pick and just going along with it. If people actually legitimately like the hire that's fine, but no one should ever like something just because they feel obligated to agree with their team's process.

No one is telling you have to be happy about it. However when you go I’m gonna take my ball go home because it’s not the candidate you like and you just give up on the team that’s when people have issues with it.

I don’t particularly love Josh McDaniels however if they hired him as the coach I’m willing to give him a chance and see where it goes. Frankly because I can’t change it because I’m not the owner. However with you it is  "well if it’s not Josh McDaniels that means her plan was stupid all along and I’m not gonna be here anymore and I’m done with them.” That seems kind of ridiculous

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

That reeks of more show & style than substance. 

Belichick and AR invest 0 energy into putting up a front.

If Andy had a sign like that it would read:

ANDY REID

Head coach / Cheeseburger Destroyer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think some of the folks around here are secretly fans of 'say yes to the dress'... my wife is obsessed with that show and watches it on her phone.. and I can't for the life of me figure out the allure.

My favorite is when my wife and daughters say they want to watch something we can all agree on and that's what they picked.  It's tyranny of the majority over my son and me.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

And Sirianni could be a way better coach than McDaniels will ever be. No one knows. I'm just saying I don't think a team should reward someone a job solely on who wins the interview. At least I'd hope not. Someone may be super charismatic and likeable, but may not be a great coach. That doesn't mean that the better interview will not have proven to be the better choice in the end, but I think over a large sample, just picking the best interview is a flawed process. JMO.

You really believe the only reason they’re hiring him if they do it over McDaniels was his interview? I am guessing they also like the fact that he was good at player development. They probably like his pedigree of coaching family. Probably have a bunch of reasons along with what they heard from other organizations and coaches. 

Just like McDaniels it wasn’t just the interview. There’s things in his past are are good and there’s things in his past that are really bad. They probably wait all those things into it. It’s probably why it’s taken them this long to make a decision with him. 

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

You really believe the only reason they’re hiring him if they do it over McDaniels was his interview? I am guessing they also like the fact that he was good at player development. They probably like his pedigree of coaching family. Probably have a bunch of reasons along with what they heard from other organizations and coaches. 

Just like McDaniels it wasn’t just the interview. There’s things in his past are are good and there’s things in his past that are really bad. They probably wait all those things into it. It’s probably why it’s taken them this long to make a decision with him. 

I have no idea. What the team does anymore defies all logic. Lurie just had a press conference where he absolved Howie of all blame for any roster decision. If the Eagles flipped a coin and picked a coach it wouldn't surprise me.

Would you honestly be stunned if say they thought they were leaning McDaniels or Brady, but Sirianni came in there and charmed Lurie and drove home some trite talking point, a la Andy Reid's infamous harping on the importance of the long snapper in his interview with Lurie, and Lurie came away so impressed with his nuance and that Lurie came out of the interview going "We gotta bring this guy in here, he's so unique!"

Yes it is Sirianni.  I like it better than McDaniels 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Who knows what McDaniels wants in a contract.  I think that could also be an issue. I don't think they're just leaving him in limbo.  I would imagine they are still trying to find out information.  

Hope he does great. Thank god it wasn’t McD. 

• Like 5

Now get Jonathan Gannon in here

• Like 1