EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

So if they don’t announce the hiring today is it time to worry about a potential Frank Gore situation?

nah, they already replaced him in Indy. This is the Eagles way. They will announce him, have him do a press conference etc. It will be a big to do. Lurie and Howie will speak. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  They’ll wait until after the weekend and the Championship games before they get their 10 mins of National attention.  

Good point!

13 hours ago, austinfan said:

I turned 56, was laid off b/c my boss was a fool and ignored my advice and our 12 person firm became a 2 person firm in two years.

I thought with a great resume, it would only take a few months, instead a decade later, over 500 job applications, house gone, savings depleted, waiting for SS since they raised the age for my tranche of the baby boom.

I couldn't even get more than a couple interviews, much less a job. Show you're current? How about a series of heavily downloaded working papers, co-author a paper in a professional journal in the field, and a seminal book?

All that got me was some consulting work for a couple years.

My advice to anyone approaching 50 is assume you'll be laid off by 60 (a recession every decade and you'll be the first to go) and you'll never make the kind of money you're currently making again.

Thought it was me until I did research, 50+% of men over 50 get laid off at some point, and only 10% ever make similar money again. Age discrimination is ubiquitous, in business, academia, law and consulting - and forget a government job, the ten point preference for current federal employees and veterans makes that impossible. It's the dirty secret that all those ads about your great retirement hide - maybe 10-20% will remain employed long enough to avoid tapping into their retirement savings (try buying health insurance when you're 60, at least Obama Care has helped a little). Even law partners have been pushed to the street in droves the last decade.

Despite a stellar career, I have virtually no chance of getting another job in academia. Too old, too male, and too white. The one possible exception would be some sort of administrative position. Even then the odds would be stacked greatly against me. 

I could retire now albeit with reduced benefits. The thing is I still like my job. Not every aspect of it, mind you. The balance seems to be tipping towards the negative over he last few years, but is not quite there yet. The covid-induced house arrest has convinced me that I need a regular schedule. I also like working with young people - face-to-face, not remotely.

I am grateful to have had the career that I have had. (That's some weird sentence structure.) I am tired of swimming upstream, however.

44 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Wentz has never been consistently good.  He was good in 2017 then for the final 4 games of 2019...with a few decent games mixed in.    He was pretty bad for most of 2018 (despite what the stats tell you). 

19-24 record as a starting QB the last 3 seasons.  32-34 for his 5 year career.  I agree, I wouldn't classify that as a "good" QB.  Mid-to-low tier if we're being generous.  

1 minute ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

19-24 record as a starting QB the last 3 seasons.  32-34 for his 5 year career.  I agree, I wouldn't classify that as a "good" QB.  Mid-to-low tier if we're being generous.  

And will they demand Sirianni be fired if the trend continues? 

Just now, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Carson would be benched first.  If Wentz is broken and the next QB up fails (Hurts or somebody else) then yes, he'll be fired. 

Banner says he knows of at least five of the teams that had openings had Sirianni on their radar for a HC interview but for whatever reason did not decide to interview him. 

3 hours ago, greend said:

I'd take him here as a q.b. coach. But head coach?

QB coach, yes.  OC, somewhere down the road.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

So if they don’t announce the hiring today is it time to worry about a potential Frank Gore situation?

I prefer to call it a potential Josh Mcdaniels situation due to the past and future double entendre.  

18 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Banner says he knows of at least five of the teams that had openings had Sirianni on their radar for a HC interview but for whatever reason did not decide to interview him. 

Makes sense

Since the Eagles are rebuilding, they don't have to rush into decisions with Wentz/Hurts or with dumping veterans.

That is, if your focus is on 2023 (3 year rebuild, think AR, two bad years under Rhodes and his first season), then you first try to fix Wentz, while you coach up Hurts, after the coming season, you'll know if either is your QB and can go into the 2022 draft with that knowledge.

They're going to dump a bunch of veterans this year, and spread cap hits over 2021 and 2022, but there's no rush for some guys where there is little or no cap savings.

If you bring back Kelce, Brooks and Lane, that allows you to build a veteran line while grooming their replacements, a better environment for your QBs.

If you bring back Graham with Cox and Hargrave, you don't have to rush young DL into the lineup this season. And a young secondary doesn't have to cover for 5 seconds.

If you keep Slay one more year, you don't have to have two inexperienced CBs,  McLeod can stabilize the safety position.

Since the Eagles won't have the cap room to bring in FAs the next two years, the next best thing is to gradually phase out their veterans.

Even in a rebuild, you want to remain competitive, because it's a better environment for player development.

Of course, in TC, young players win all ties.

1 hour ago, Ipiggles said:

The bolded made me laugh so hard I spit out my drink. 

Again, you are entitled your own opinions. My guess is there is an agenda you have against Wentz, for what ever reason, you just dont like him. 

Hey I didn't like Vick, but I gave him credit where he did well, what his abilities were. Because I am objective in nature. Not all of us can be. Carry on.

we dont like wentz because he doesnt throw to open receivers, takes sacks, doesnt throw the ball away, you are one that loves wentz no matter how bad he plays because he's a nice guy crap. this is about football not a charity event. if you just like players for what they are and not how they play, you are not football fans.

1 minute ago, toughfighter83 said:

we dont like wentz because he doesnt throw to open receivers, takes sacks, doesnt throw the ball away, you are one that loves wentz no matter how bad he plays because he's a nice guy crap. this is about football not a charity event. if you just like players for what they are and not how they play, you are not football fans.

If Wentz doesn’t approve they will blame Sirianni 

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Wentz has never been consistently good.  He was good in 2017 then for the final 4 games of 2019...with a few decent games mixed in.    He was pretty bad for most of 2018 (despite what the stats tell you). 

2018 and 2019 I dont think he was bad.  He was a little above average but had some really good games mixed in, especially the last 4 of 2019.

2020 he was bad.

Overall I think the talent is there.  The problem with him is in his head.

2 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

2018 and 2019 I dont think he was bad.  He was a little above average but had some really good games mixed in, especially the last 4 of 2019.

2020 he was bad.

Overall I think the talent is there.  The problem with him is in his head.

I just can't stand the insistence on stats and ignoring his inconsistency (except 2020 where he was pretty much consistently bad). I've literally heard someone say, "Weeelll, technically Carson was better in 2018 than 2017, check his stats." Get the F outta here with that nonsense.

Wentz was not good in 2018, throw the damn stats out. If we can't agree there, then we won't be able to have a reasonable conversation.

8 hours ago, mattmcginley7 said:

I'm 100% on board with Pitts at 6, I think he's gotta be the safest pick in the entire draft and has the highest ceiling as well. How well he moves at 6'6" 240 is unbelievable, 0 drops, A++ at adjusting and making contested catches, and is the ultimate mismatch weapon

Truly, he moves so well that people calling him a tight end are grossly underestimating how good he is. He's a top 5-10 WR prospect ALONE, with the ridiculous versatility to line up with his hand in the ground next to a tackle if you wanted him to do that.

Even if we didn't hire Sirianni and want to utilize 12 personnel more frequently, just as purely a WR prospect, I'd be all in at 6 for this guy. It's as close to can't miss as you can possibly get

I'm the head of the Kyle Pitts bandwagon but I think they can trade down and still get him.  Would love him to be an Eagle.  Such a weapon.

1 hour ago, Ipiggles said:

The bolded made me laugh so hard I spit out my drink. 

Again, you are entitled your own opinions. My guess is there is an agenda you have against Wentz, for what ever reason, you just dont like him. 

Hey I didn't like Vick, but I gave him credit where he did well, what his abilities were. Because I am objective in nature. Not all of us can be. Carry on.

Other than 2017 when has Wentz been consistent? 

5 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

I just can't stand the insistence on stats and ignoring his inconsistency (except 2020 where he was pretty much consistently bad). I've literally heard someone say, "Weeelll, technically Carson was better in 2018 than 2017, check his stats." Get the F outta here with that nonsense.

Wentz was not good in 2018, throw the damn stats out. If we can't agree there, then we won't be able to have a reasonable conversation.

Yep.  Pretty much this.

3 hours ago, greend said:

I'd take him here as a q.b. coach. But head coach?

I’m hoping the Texans are trolling Watson at this point — trying to influence/dictate a GM hiring, refusing to return calls, etc.  Hopefully they ask him to come in and take part in the McCown interview .... since he needs to have his opinion heard on management hires.

If they actually hire McCown as head coach, that confirms the unthinkable — that BOB was the smartest guy in that room.

5 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

This statement epitomizes the current, sad state of the country.

58 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I'm sure they will give him a pass for 2021. 

2 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

This statement epitomizes the current, sad state of the country.

Maybe poor choice of words with "reasonable." Probably "productive" fits better. 

Archived