EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Our best reporters are brilliant.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nick-sirianni-grace-period-eagles

Sirianni is taking over a 4-11-1 team, that's old and with no cap room, and this year's draft is the first time they pick in the top ten since 2012.

He's not going to be judged on the same schedule as AR who inherited a team coming off two high pick drafts, and had a losing season and another high pick draft before turning it around with some major FA acquisitions (Runyan et al).

Lowie know that the next two years will be rebuilding on the cheap, and that a major move will have to wait until 2023 when they have cap room.

So if Sirianni gets this team to 7-9 in 2022, with a young roster positioned for a jump, he's doing fine.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

2018 and 2019 I dont think he was bad.  He was a little above average but had some really good games mixed in, especially the last 4 of 2019.

2020 he was bad.

Overall I think the talent is there.  The problem with him is in his head.

I disagree, IMO Wentz did not play well in 2018 & 2019.  I believe he has regressed every season since 2017.

3 minutes ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

I disagree, IMO Wentz did not play well in 2018 & 2019.  I believe he has regressed every season since 2017.

Its definitely been downhill since 2017.

I'm extremely interested to see what happens in 2021.  He cant play much worse than he did this past year.

1 hour ago, toughfighter83 said:

we dont like wentz because he doesnt throw to open receivers, takes sacks, doesnt throw the ball away, you are one that loves wentz no matter how bad he plays because he's a nice guy crap. this is about football not a charity event. if you just like players for what they are and not how they play, you are not football fans.

LOL- no I like wentz cause he is a franchise qb, who lost confidence in his WR's Oline and HC. FOR OBVIOUS reasons.  And franchise QB's are super hard to find. Thats just a fact. When you have one, you need to keep them. If you want to be blind to what was behind the cause of wentz's issues this year, thats up to you. No he is not perfect and he needs to play better, WE AT LEAST KNOW HE CAN. 

go ahead tell me how wrong I am , that he never played well. SO I can laugh some more. 

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

Other than 2017 when has Wentz been consistent? 

He had a very good 2017 year, His 2018 and 2019 season were good years, just not very good. I love these kind of half assed arguments when you take one play here or there and point out he missed a wr or overthrew one, cause we all know, NO QB EVER DOES THAT. LOL 

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

Wentz was not good in 2020.  He didnt play this bad in 2018.  

We dont have to agree.  It's just different opinions.  2018 I thought he was average maybe a little above.  2020 he was bad.  

Agreed. 

8 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Sirianni is taking over a 4-11-1 team, that's old and with no cap room, and this year's draft is the first time they pick in the top ten since 2012.

He's not going to be judged on the same schedule as AR who inherited a team coming off two high pick drafts, and had a losing season and another high pick draft before turning it around with some major FA acquisitions (Runyan et al).

Lowie know that the next two years will be rebuilding on the cheap, and that a major move will have to wait until 2023 when they have cap room.

So if Sirianni gets this team to 7-9 in 2022, with a young roster positioned for a jump, he's doing fine.

Roob is actually correct much more often than wrong. 

12 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Roob isn’t much of a reporter at all, and he’s far from one of the best. 

19 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

He could have listened to his scouts, who are football people...

Howie looking to throw blame wherever he possibly can, unbelievable. He should be embarrassed for blaming a first year in house offensive assistant for HIS call on a first round f'n pick as the GM. PATHETIC

5 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Roob is actually correct much more often than wrong. 

The only thing Rueb is good for are his 10 observations after a game and random stats.  He's just another hack.  He jumps on and off player bandwagons faster than most fans.  Follow him on twitter and look at how defensive he gets, it's quite sad.

26 minutes ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

He was mediocre in 2018, let’s say C-.

In 2019 he was bad an even D.

2020, Wentz was historically bad and probably has never happened before, in 2017 his QBR was 78.5, and 3 years later it’s at 49.5, that’s record breaking bad.  Dude missed 4 games and was sacked 50 times, and what, a 1/3 of them were after 3 seconds?    

To show what a flawed stat passer rating is Wentz’s went from 101 in 2017 to 102 in 2018.  

17 minutes ago, austinfan said:

It’s worth noting again that this cycle of head coaching hires are all first-time NFL head coaches, with the exception of Dan Campbell who was an interim head coach for 9 games in 2015 with MIA.

Generally, it’s bad organizations who cycle through head coaches every 1-2 years.  Lurie has no history of doing so — Rhodes got 4 years, Reid 14, Kelly 3, and Pederson 5.

Writing an article predicting Sirianni gets 2 years to turn things around, or he’s gone?  Seems like a stupid stance to take.

9 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Howie looking to throw blame wherever he possibly can, unbelievable. He should be embarrassed for blaming a first year in house offensive assistant for HIS call on a first round f'n pick as the GM. PATHETIC

FCS - this is not coming from Howie. Howie always takes responsibility for the bad decisions and gives organizational credit for the good decisions. As Paul pointed out he's the GM, he's the decision maker, if he's relying on other's opinions that's still 100% on him and that's why he needs to be replaced. No need to make ish up.

31 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Maybe if we could roll 12 personnel with Ward and Fulgham, our TE's will be faster than the WRs.

Take a look at Fulgham’s combine next to Michael Thomas.   He is agile like Thomas.  You overrate speed.  The question about Fulgham is his work ethic.  We’re talking about practice.  

As to Ward, I would target this player in the draft, also from UH.  Bit of a body catcher, like Quez but he snatch catches and cradles the ball in.  Like Quez and Hightower, he can hands catch.  Tracks the ball much better than Hightower.  Solid build at 6’ and 190 #.  Really like his feel for the holes, especially on running the ball. I think the catching style makes him available day 3.  You should love his speed.

Or maybe this guy, who can break ankles with his quickness.  Kind of an Edelman/Welker type.

Both return kicks, run sweeps, line up in the backfield, draw attention on motion.  I think Stevenson is the fastest but Toney has a nice mix of speed and quickness.  This is a good draft for slot WRs and deep so we can get quality on Day 3.  From what I have read on Sirianni, I think both can fit into his schemes. The key is can Wentz lead his receivers. 

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Take a look at Fulgham’s combine next to Michael Thomas.   He is agile like Thomas.  You overrate speed.  The question about Fulgham is his work ethic.  We’re talking about practice.  

As to Ward, I would target this player in the draft, also from UH.  Bit of a body catcher, like Quez but he snatch catches and cradles the ball in.  Like Quez and Hightower, he can hands catch.  Tracks the ball much better than Hightower.  Solid build at 6’ and 190 #.  Really like his feel for the holes, especially on running the ball. I think the catching style makes him available day 3.  You should love his speed.

Or maybe this guy, who can break ankles with his quickness.  Kind of an Edelman/Welker type.

Both return kicks, run sweeps, line up in the backfield, draw attention on motion.  I think Stevenson is the fastest but Toney has a nice mix of speed and quickness.  This is a good draft for slot WRs and deep so we can get quality on Day 3.  From what I have read on Sirianni, I think both can fit into his schemes. The key is can Wentz lead his receivers. 

Fulgham is horrible.  Mentioning him in the same post as Thomas is silly.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/doug-pederson-andy-reid-nick-sirianni-eagles-coach-20210123.html

Did anyone read mclane’s latest article? If he’s on point with his sourcing, the way it sounds according to him is the Eagles never really thought highly of Doug even when they hired him and 2017 kinda took them by surprise and they never expected that kinda season from Doug, but always doubted. Him. McLane notes that in their initial interview for the job, his suggestions were so unimpressive for his coaching staff that he wasn’t even their top choice of secondary choices.

Take this snippet as well from McLane:

But he didn’t check off many of the characteristics they sought in head coaches -- good organizational skills, a high football IQ, clear short- and long-term vision, and the ability to articulate his ideas to all levels of the operation -- and, in truth, Lurie was prepared to cut bait even as early as the 2016 offseason if the right situation presented itself.

How often do I have to post this? 

Wentz stats 2018 and 2019:

2018:  QBR Rank = 12, QB Rating Rank =7

2019: QBR Rank = 11, QB Rating Rank = 13

All above the median, so he is not "below average" or a "C-" or a "D"

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Yup. Was a big fan of converting Hakeem Butler to TE as well. These guys most likely will flame out, but there’s a non-zero chance of these guys becoming a legit weapon. 

The issue with Butler coming out of college was drops.  We have no idea what sort of hands Jackson has but he does have nice straight line speed.  4.28 short shuttle and 7.09 three cone for Jackson at 6’ 7” and 249# is pretty good to go with his 4.59 forty.  In comparison, Butler ran a 4.48 forty with a 4.16 short shuttle and a 7.09 three cone at 220# .  JJAW 4.49 forty but a 4.41 short shuttle and 7.23 three cone at  a similar weight to Butler.  Keys for any of the three moving to Hback/TE are blocking, catching and route running. For example, Ertz ran a 4.76 at Jackson’s weight with a similar three cone but a 4.48 short shuttle.  As an athlete, Jackson is pretty impressive.  Both he and Butler have LT type arm length and hand size. They may take some time to develop  like Trey Burton did.

14 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/doug-pederson-andy-reid-nick-sirianni-eagles-coach-20210123.html

Did anyone read mclane’s latest article? If he’s on point with his sourcing, the way it sounds according to him is the Eagles never really thought highly of Doug even when they hired him and 2017 kinda took them by surprise and they never expected that kinda season from Doug, but always doubted. Him. McLane notes that in their initial interview for the job, his suggestions were so unimpressive for his coaching staff that he wasn’t even their top choice of secondary choices.

Makes them look even more incompetent. They lucked into a coach that won a SB and to the playoffs two more years in a span of 5 years. And they still somehow bungled it.

But then again they are the same clowns that fired Reid only to watch him clearly become the best offensive mind in the NFL.

I hope to God this guy wasn’t brought in to be a Howie/Lurie yes man. If we are in a full rebuild we are going to get only one shot at this due to Wentz’s age. They are going to be setting up to make a run in two seasons and this couch needs to be able to do what needs to be done for a full rebuilt without micromanaging from above.

20 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

McLane was part of the group that interviewed Doug Pederson for head coach?

Archived