Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

3 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

If Jeff is telling him who to take I mean that changes everything. Lurie thinks he's some King Midas drafter.

We think it's bad now with Howie, what if Jeff promotes Halaby to GM

I'd think Weidl would get the nod, he's higher on the pecking order. 

image.thumb.png.8dda3f13b3b285048b6581c279610b2b.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, greendestiny27 said:

If Jeff is telling him who to take I mean that changes everything. Lurie thinks he's some King Midas drafter 

If there are obvious BPA choices at 12 and they reach for someone out of left field, disappointment will be an understatement.

Preparing for disappointment but hoping to be proven wrong. The life of an Eagles fan I suppose.

Just now, greend said:

you might not want to have another cup of coffee...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Duh.  Unless the Eagles are a playoff winner this season, Jeff has the reason to fire or reassign Howie.  Howie got them out of the cap hell that he created by doing the same thing that got him there.  He has to have last seasons draft choices succeed and this season nail the draft or he’s gone or reassigned.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think what we have seen so far in the offseason reflects a tightening of the the reins on Howie...getting under the cap and picking up some depth players. I really liked the trade back for a 1st next year. I think with the new coaching staff comes a wish list, and it is imperative for Howie to work more closely with the Sirianni et al to get players that fit their scheme. If Howie continues to go rogue and not be held accountable....good luck lining up any quality future coaches....I think he will get things right this year from a team and scouting perspective...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

If there are obvious BPA choices at 12 and they reach for someone out of left field, disappointment will be an understatement.

Preparing for disappointment but hoping to be proven wrong. The life of an Eagles fan I suppose.

We're trading up to #8 for Barmore 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I'd think Weidl would get the nod, he's higher on the pecking order. 

In our world and what it should be yes, meanwhile Jeff is all about his ivy league analytical department. 

5 minutes ago, greend said:

:nonono: No extra second next year (yeah, two thirds and otherwise a complete second draft, but that missing second is a black eye) and way too few 2023 picks. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That would be an epic fail and shouldn't come as a surprise. Though I would say it's for Paye as the sleeper no one would want. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, greendestiny27 said:

In our world and what it should be yes, meanwhile Jeff is all about his ivy league analytical department. 

On the last Inside the Birds, Mosher said he has heard during last years draft there was a separate Zoom channel for Lurie, Howie, Doug and Andy Weidl to talk away from the rest of the personnel in their virtual war room, so I think he holds some clout with Lurie if that's true. 

• Like 1

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

On the last Inside the Birds, Mosher said he has heard during last years draft there was a separate Zoom channel for Lurie, Howie, Doug and Andy Weidl to talk away from the rest of the personnel in their virtual war room, so I think he holds some clout with Lurie if that's true. 

Probably some, but I just think Jeff is out of touch. Weidl is the football guy and I can't see Lurie just letting him run the show. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

13599702-B877-4FC5-AA0D-2AD447999CA1.gif

12 hours ago, Wentz_Era said:

What position do you see JOK playing though?  He's a tweener to me.  He's gonna get his lunch stolen in nickel/dime sets.  The comp isn't perfect because JOK's football IQ is obviously better, but he's essentially Ernie Simms.   Great athlete but can't hold a lane, shed blocks or tackle when push comes to shove.

You know where he'd play, WIL and the sub packages.  Eric Kendricks not very big, Darius Leonard not very big, Patrick Queen didn't spend the season on roller skates - and the shark in water, c'mon.

9 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

:nonono: No extra second next year (yeah, two thirds and otherwise a complete second draft, but that missing second is a black eye) and way too few 2023 picks. 

Fat guys just wanna have fun

Well, he brought in the right coaching staff if he wants last year's draft to succeed, but it's not just the draft picks, they added a lot of UDFAs and SFAs with athleticism:

Huntley, Killens, Tate, Butler, T Jackson, Herbig, Toth, Opeta Juriga, Pierschbacher, R Williams, R Smith, Bachie, Jacquet, James, Arnold, Seymour, Hill, Houston, S Taylor, Epps, Riley.

If you hit on 2 or 3 of these guys, Wallace pushes for a starting job, Ridgeway stays healthy, Driscoll pushes for a OG spot, Dillard and Mailata both show they're NFL starter caliber at OT,  Reagor, Watkins, Hightower, Fulgham or JJAW step up, but most importantly, Hurts makes the big jump to competent starting QB, Howie will suddenly have "the golden touch."

That's what's always fueled our successful rebuilds, go back to AR in 2000, they pick up Walker and Al Harris on waivers, plug in UDFA Miller at C, Lewis SFA TE.

The key to rebuilding is usually some high picks, a few low picks, a couple UDFAs, a couple SFAs and when you're ready, buy 3-4 FA starters.

So as much as better drafting, I want to see better player development. Being able to coach up late round picks and UDFAs into credible NFL players is a big edge.

15 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Duh.  Unless the Eagles are a playoff winner this season, Jeff has the reason to fire or reassign Howie.  Howie got them out of the cap hell that he created by doing the same thing that got him there.  He has to have last seasons draft choices succeed and this season nail the draft or he’s gone or reassigned.  

I don't think Lurie expects to make the playoffs the next two seasons.

Rather, what he wants to see are a lot of young players arriving and succeeding. You're not going to hit on every draft pick, but the Eagles need a repeat of 2012-2013:

2012:  Cox (12), Kendricks (46), Curry (59), Foles (88), Kelly OT (153)

2013:  Lane (4), Ertz (35), Logan (67), Barkley (98), Poyer (218)

plus Cedrich Thornton UDFA, Tobin (UDFA)

Former players aside, who is the safety Eagles jersey to buy?

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

You can also draft bad skill people from the second to the fourth.  Heck,  you can draft bad skill people in the first.

JJ Arcega-Whiteside ( # 57 )

Mack Hollins ( # 118 )

Donnel Pumphrey ( #132 )

Josh Huff ( # 86 )

Josh Huff wasn't bad.  He just f'd up his career by driving around with guns and drugs.  He was a decent kick returner and showed some promise as a slot WR.  

1 minute ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Chuck Bednarik

Live look at Weidl trying to hold Howie back

Toronto Vs Milwaukee GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

There's a fallen tree on the back edge of the property that needs addressing. That sucker will be in a million pieces if that happens 😄

• Haha 1

Eagles analytic room in shambles. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

If you have some extra waistline, I'd invest in a Kelce or Cox jersey now.  You can wear it when you go to Canton in about 8-10 years.

If your still in shape, I'd wait for the draft to conclude.  Unless you need one right now, then I'd go with Graham.

It's really a sad statement that we don't have anyone under 25 years old that is a sure thing to be a fixture on the team for at least five more seasons.

• Like 1

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

If you have some extra waistline, I'd invest in a Kelce or Cox jersey now.  You can wear it when you go to Canton in about 8-10 years.

If your still in shape, I'd wait for the draft to conclude.  Unless you need one right now, then I'd go with Graham.

It's really a sad statement that we don't have anyone under 25 years old that is a sure thing to be a fixture on the team for at least five more seasons.

He said safety, so go with Waters, Hopkins, or BDawk.