Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

• Round 1, pick 10 (from DAL) – DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama  - A+ - The fact that Howie managed to get Smith + a 1st next year for the 6th makes it an A+
  • Round 2, pick 37 – Landon Dickerson, C, Alabama  A- (The only reason it's not an A is because of his injury history)
  • Round 3, pick 73 (from CAR) – Milton Williams, DT, Lousiana Tech   A- (Solid value for a potential starter at DT)
  • Round 4, pick 123 – Zech McPhearson, CB, Texas Tech - B
  • Round 5, pick 150 – Kenneth Gainwell, RB, Memphis - A+ (Potentially the steal of the entire 2021 draft)
  • Round 6, pick 189 – Marlon Tuipulotu, DT, USC - B
  • Round 6, pick 191 – Tarron Jackson, DE, Coastal Carolina - B
  • Round 6, pick 224 – JaCoby Stevens, S, LSU B+
  • Round 7, pick 234 – Patrick Johnson, OLB, Tulane A- (Excellent value in the 7th round)

Overall grade: A

Add the fact that the Eagles ended up with additional 1st and 5th round picks next year, this could become one of the best Eagles drafts of the past decade, imo.

I find it humorous that certain Eagles beat writers are actually criticizing the draft.  For those criticizing this draft, just put a "I am a Howie hater" disclaimer on top of your post so I can skip to the next post.  Thanks!  :P

In all seriousness, Eagles fans should be elated with this draft and the assets they acquired for the 2021 draft.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I'd agree with that. The Smith pick allows Reagor to be what he was supposed to be. A take the top off WR with after the catch ability. He was never meant to be a heavily targeted guy like Doug seemed to want to force him to be. And the pressure is also off him now with Smith coming in. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd agree with that. The Smith pick allows Reagor to be what he was supposed to be. A take the top off WR with after the catch ability. He was never meant to be a heavily targeted guy like Doug seemed to want to force him to be. And the pressure is also off him now with Smith coming in. 

Yep.   Smith will usually draw the #1 CB plus safety help when needed...which should give Reagor plenty of opportunities to make plays. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

Yep.   Smith will usually draw the #1 CB plus safety help when needed...which should give Reagor plenty of opportunities to make plays. 

Exactly bud. And Smith can be a volume receiver whereas Reagor I don't think is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly bud. And Smith can be a volume receiver whereas Reagor I don't think is.

If Reagor can eventually put up 60+ catches per year with close to 1000 yards and 8+ TD's, that would be fine, imo.  With those types of numbers he would likely average between 17-18 yards per reception..making him a very nice "big play" threat WR.   And if Smith puts up anywhere near the numbers he put up at college with us, watch out...this passing offense could be amazing within a year or two.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

If Reagor can eventually put up 60+ catches per year with close to 1000 yards and 8+ TD's, that would be fine, imo.  With those types of numbers he would likely average between 17-18 yards per reception..making him a very nice "big play" threat WR.   And if Smith puts up anywhere near the numbers he put up at college with us, watch out...this passing offense could be amazing within a year or two.  

I mean to be honest I'd be good with 40-50 catches and say 800 yards and a number of TDs. Having 2 1000 yard WRs seems unlikely. 

Great pre-draft Breakdown of Dickerson by Simms - his 3rd overall OL prospect.

- Believes he can come in and instantly challenge for best C in the league.

- Can do everything, block for power, technique, speed, recognition, footwork etc.

- Nasty dude always looking to hit people.

- Extraordinary strength for an interior blocker.

- Top 20 overall player in the draft.

- Says his film is pretty much perfect.

- Would take him in the first RD, regardless of injuries.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Grimes is interesting, he's an A++ athlete, a true height/weight/speed specimen, but he needs major development.

But he was dwarfed by 2 top 20 picks, c’mon man 🤜

8 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Brugler on Trevon Grimes...

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Florida, Grimes was the X receiver in head coach Dan Mullen’s offense, lining up primarily to the sideline. A former top recruit, he had a rocky divorce from Ohio State and wasn’t a high-volume target in Gainesville (averaged 2.6 catches per game at Florida), but he was productive when given the opportunity. With his size and talent, Grimes is a dependable on back-shoulder grabs, and his play is reminiscent of a similar, but less productive version of Michael Pittman. While he is technically refined with his route steps and body movements, he lacks the explosive separation skills to be a matchup weapon in the NFL. Overall, Grimes lacks dynamic burst or speed to easily uncover, but he is a coordinated route runner and strong in contested-catch situations. He projects as a dependable possession target to have in the rotation.
GRADE: 4th-5th Round

Watch him on the senior bowl 1 on 1s and you see the opposite of what's said here.  Technically refined? My arde. Bad routes is the truth.  Body catcher too. 

Lacks burst or speed with a 4.35 40.... k Dane.

I love the signing but after watching his senior bowl stuff I don't even think he beats out JJAW anymore as I had hoped. 

Gonna be at least a year on the PS.

Surprised only one CB taken, considering how thin that group is.  They now need to target veteran CB to add.  This is a passing league and the need for CBs is paramount.

True to the philosophy: build out from LOS.  A bit heavy haul at DL.  How many draftees can earn a spot in the roster?

TE and QB are still undermanned.  Depth and developmental are the focus.

UDFA signing?  There is usually a rush to sign them, though not many will make the roster.

7 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Ha! I said last night when he was picked " There is your JOK"

10 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Trevon Grimes should be able to beat out JJAW and Hightower.

He's actually similar to Simi in a lot of ways.

Why not better ?

11 hours ago, Original Sin said:

Love that QB tossing the ball around 

A less athletic Mac ... IMO. Just wait for ARod, take my word on that

8 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Re our new RB Gainwell...

Many say he runs routes like a WR.  I don't have access to the tape to have an opinion on that.  But his highlights...I'd say that he finds, tracks, and brings in the football like a WR.  RBs, even 3rd down types, often look like fish out of water catching passes anywhere beyond the flat.  Gainwell definitely looks like a wideout when the ball is in the air.

As a runner, he's not necessarily one of those joystick guys who strings together moves to make an entire defense miss, but he's got good vision, hits the hole quickly, and has very effective 1-step lateral agility to keep his momentum moving past the first tackler.

One thing about the Eagles current pre-draft crop of WR is that none of them seem like natural pass catchers.  There were times Fulgham looked it but then there were other times you just shake your head.  It seems like every Saturday and Sunday we watch games and there are so many circus catches that look easy, meanwhile the Eagles WR find a way to make normal catches look hard.

Smith and Gainwell are two of the most natural pass catchers I've ever seen.  Gainwell joins the team and as a running back looks like he catches the ball better than our entire group of WR from last year.  I'm seeing wheel routes and mismatches all day long for him.  

Observation from watching highlight video after highlight video of both Smith and Gainwell....Bama has their home Crimson and away White.  A classic, strong look.  You know Bama is on the minute you see the uniform.  In over 20 minutes of Gainwell highlights, I don't think I saw Memphis in the same uniform combination twice.  There were times I thought maybe this is Air Force or possibly Middle Tennessee State. I know it's great for recruiting  but at the same time, if you can't tell who is playing when you turn a game on I think that's poor for a schools brand.  I'm a huge equipment/uniform nerd and love this stuff but it's become too much.

• Like 2

I really like what I am seeing/hearing with Jacoby Stevens.    I am always a fan of taking a guy from a school known for producing particular positions.   There's a reason LSU is known as DBU.   He's going to be coming here well coached, well prepared.  And watching his introductory PC, he did a great job explaining his philosophy and already sounds like a leader.

One theme throughout the draft, they did get guys who love the game, students of the game and hard workers.   That wasn't just lip service from Sirianni.  They really did do that.  I'm still not sold that they brought in multiple foundation pieces, but I do believe they brought in guys that can help make a culture of hard work, film study, etc. 

Along those lines, the more I hear about Dickerson, the more I like the person, as well as the player.  My concern for him is as the patient.  Hopefully, (and its a big hope) we can see his positives on the field, and not on the sidelines, training room, etc.  I want to like that pick, but at 37, with those injuries, it still seems early for him.  Am I dealing with PTSD from last year's injuries? Sydney Jones?  Likely.  The Eagles have drafted a number of guys that dropped due to injury.  How many people remember Cornelius Ingram?  He was supposed to be a stud 2nd round TE, who fell to the 5th round.  All he had was an ACL, but the surgery was flawed or something, and he dropped like a rock.   He blew it out again and was never heard from again.  What about Jake Igwenigo (sp?), CB from Wisconsin?  Similarly, a guy who was graded as a first rounder by many, blew out his knee.  Fell to the 4th round where the Eagles got him.  Never did a thing.  So, while I want Dickerson to work out, he's the kind of player/person you want in your organization.  He's strangely Kelce-esque, in his personality (not athleticism, Kelce stands alone in that area).  We can be hopeful, but until he actually does stay healthy for a number of years, the concern will always linger.  And I don't know how he can't have those questions lingering in his own mind.

As a group of people, I like this draft.  As a group of talented football players... time will tell.   But, listening to Stevens, he's got the head you want on a guy that might be a long term piece.  Let's just hope his play can match it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ToastJenkins said:

His shortcomings cant be solved in the weight room

Whatever it takes to make throws across his body COMFORTABLY while sprinting out left and I’ll be happy

He popped our No. 1 pick. 

LSU is a good spot to find DBs.  

10 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Honestly, he's lower on my list of concerns.  He's not an elite QB but if he can be a game manager, maybe  Dak light we should be OK.

Defense is another story. The back 7 is atrocious.

Considering that Dak isn't good enough, I don't think Dak light is OK.

10 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Even if Hurts proves himself I highly doubt the Eagles use those 3 first round picks. Howie can't help himself with trades.  If it's not for a QB one or two of those picks will be used for a veteran player of another position. 

Then he definitely needs to be fired if drafting talent intimidates him

12 minutes ago, The guy in France said:

A less athletic Mac ... IMO. Just wait for ARod, take my word on that

Bruce doesn’t like running QBs

We did our homework,” Arians said. "Everything about the guy — he’s accurate, he’s smart; he’s tough; he knows how to move inside the pocket. We don’t draft guys to run. We draft them to throw, and he’s accurate as hell. Really excited about him.

The Bucs discussed drafting Trask in the first round, coach Bruce Arians said.

This strikes me as a new regime draft class. A bunch of high energy, hard working character players. A bunch of team captains too. As a young team, this is pretty important. 

This isn't a young team... yet.   Right now it's a 'last hurrah' team, and they will be passing the torch to the younger players this year and next.

Seems like an awesome draft.  All of the talk about "sticking to the board” seems to be corroborated by the selections that were made.  Imagine if they did this every year.  They would actually build young talent on the team.  Maybe become competitive again.

I like this Eagles draft more than any I can remember, top to bottom.  It’s a thin draft, so the top is most important, but it finally seemed like they had "value” at almost every pick.  Ended up with I think an elite difference maker, a future key starter with elite upside, and a few other guys with upside that could become starters or key contributors.

Even the UDFAs, they have two WRs and a QB they signed that could have been 4th-5th round picks in this draft and no one would have been critical.

We know what a championship team looks like.  This is a total rebuild.  It starts with getting back to having elite lines, then finding an elite QB.  Then supplanting the other key positions like receivers and secondary.  Most important is finding some great players, which they hadn’t done in almost a decade outside of Wentz (pre-implosion).

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

LSU is a good spot to find DBs.  

Yup. Even when we get the worst of the LSU DBs, we still ended up with Mills. 

Getting more Alabama/LSU players is good thing. At least we're not crazy like the Raiders, exclusively drafting players from the college football playoff.