Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Just looking at the teams we play and I'm not even sure we will be favored in more than a game or two. We are going to be home dogs to KC, TB, LA, SF unless something drastic happens. NO is a toss up, NFCE I don't think we should be but maybe 1 or two there. On the road there is only the Jets and that depends on where at in the season that game is. Maybe an outside chance of road favorites in Den or Car.

1 hour ago, Khani1 said:

How is there not a crypto thread in Whats up?  It would be nice to discuss getting rich with other people.

Yep , I have been buying crypto since 2015 , mainly monero, Bitcoin  and zcash , few others 

90 % of them are garbage though , no future 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Just looking at the teams we play and I'm not even sure we will be favored in more than a game or two. We are going to be home dogs to KC, TB, LA, SF unless something drastic happens. NO is a toss up, NFCE I don't think we should be but maybe 1 or two there. On the road there is only the Jets and that depends on where at in the season that game is. Maybe an outside chance of road favorites in Den or Car.

Denver and Carolina depends on lock and darnold. Carolina if they can keep up darnold should be able to score points with mccaffrey, Hubbard, Moore, Anderson and Marshall. 
Denver game is in Denver so cross country travel and the altitude, I’d take Denver and it might be bridgewater by that point

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

where did you see this?  The Ostman hype all began when he was training as the Joker.

Per Adam Caplan.  

9 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

If the OL stays relatively healthy, we should be able to run the ball effectively.  I don't see us being able to stop anyone, unless our DL becomes a top 5 unit.  The newness of schemes on both sides may buy us a win or two early in the season.

Most didn't really have big expectations entering 2017.  Then it clicked.

People were saying SB after week 1 lol

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Where?

QB - lets call it a push, because who knows

RB- 2021

WR- 2021 I guess, still unproven

TE - 2020

OL - push unless you want to count every injured guy being healthy. I'm not confident in that.

DE - 2020

DT - 2020

LB - 2021, maybe? But they lost some depth.

CB - 2020

S - 2020

I think every other NFCE team has improved more over the offseason, which was my expectations anyway. We aren't trying to short term this and get slightly better for 2021, its about building to 2022/2023

Every roster and season is a projection.  I mean saying Dallas is improved means you are projecting improvement from returning injured players or new players.

Fitzmagic in Washington may not be that great.  He has 3 career games against the Vikings and completed under 60% of his passes.  He let Miami to a 16-12 win against Indy in 2019.  I mean he's not facing Jim Schwartz in Philly anymore. Washington was a QB away from being a decent playoff contender.  I don't think Fitzpatrick or Heinecke are necessarily upgrades for them. 

Dallas adding Micah Parsons  is not as significant as if they added Surtain or Horn.  He just won't have that kind of impact on their defense for them. Dak's return from the ankle injury isn't a sure thing. I mean McNabb had a less severe injury and really took more than a year to regain his mobility.  Arguably, he wasn't ever the same rushing threat after his ankle fracture.

Devonta Smith was a top 10 value on the offense.  He plays in a position of value in terms of wins above replacement. https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-positional-value-matters-in-the-nfl-draft  If you don't think he has a chance to significantly improve a team that's leading WR was a UDFA with under 600 yards, then I think we would disagree on his draft value.  

The Giants added a receiver but Toney is probably more of a project for them.  They have a pretty mediocre WR room.  Their big FA signing, Golladay, is coming off of a string of leg injuries that were season ending.  Daniel Jones has to improve his play.  

16 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Yep , I have been buying crypto since 2015 , mainly monero, Bitcoin  and zcash , few others 

90 % of them are garbage though , no future 

I rolled all of my 401k into something called a dog coin.  Was that good? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think bust when referring to them can mean different things based off where you took them and expectations of what they could or should be. For tua it would be out of the league after his rookie contract or just a backup. Hurts, i think if is a backup isn’t a bust. The expectation by most was he was a fringe starter or backup. To me if tua becomes a backup he’s a bust. 

I’ve really never been overly impressed with tua. His injury makes me scared even more. I don’t think his arm is elite or great. I think he’s a better passer than hurts but i don’t see his arm strengths as something like josh Allen or even Carson 

OK.  Essentially, it will be hard for Hurts to bust because there is little or no real expectations versus the opposite for Tua.  I guess that is fair, but it is hard to make a comparison with such drastic differences.  However, most analysts see it that way as one was clearly defined as a 1st round franchise talent and the other one wasn't.  I

7 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Every roster and season is a projection.  I mean saying Dallas is improved means you are projecting improvement from returning injured players or new players.

Fitzmagic in Washington may not be that great.  He has 3 career games against the Vikings and completed under 60% of his passes.  He let Miami to a 16-12 win against Indy in 2019.  I mean he's not facing Jim Schwartz in Philly anymore. Washington was a QB away from being a decent playoff contender.  I don't think Fitzpatrick or Heinecke are necessarily upgrades for them. 

Dallas adding Micah Parsons  is not as significant as if they added Surtain or Horn.  He just won't have that kind of impact on their defense for them. Dak's return from the ankle injury isn't a sure thing. I mean McNabb had a less severe injury and really took more than a year to regain his mobility.  Arguably, he wasn't ever the same rushing threat after his ankle fracture.

Devonta Smith was a top 10 value on the offense.  He plays in a position of value in terms of wins above replacement. https://www.pff.com/news/draft-why-positional-value-matters-in-the-nfl-draft  If you don't think he has a chance to significantly improve a team that's leading WR was a UDFA with under 600 yards, then I think we would disagree on his draft value.  

The Giants added a receiver but Toney is probably more of a project for them.  They have a pretty mediocre WR room.  Their big FA signing, Golladay, is coming off of a string of leg injuries that were season ending.  Daniel Jones has to improve his play.  

I don't think all this roster needed was 1 DeVonta Smith to be conference contenders. There's just simply too many unknowns right now to say the Eagles will be better in 2021 than they were in 2020. IF Hurts can play at a top level, and IF the O-line can stay healthy, and IF Sirianni is a good rookie coach and has a good scheme and IF he can call plays and IF Gannon can make chicken salad out of chicken ish, then we can contend. Every teams has some sort of projection yea, but it's a lot easier to presume if Dak is healthy he will improve Dallas vs if Hurts can actually play at all. Just my opinion, I can't believe it until I see it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, downundermike said:

If he does not improve on 46% completions in the second half, and points on less than 10% of second half possessions, he will be a bust.

I agree.  I am just as concerned with leading them to a losing record in his starts...maybe more..

8 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I rolled all of my 401k into something called a dog coin.  Was that good? 

I’m sure you didn’t  , but that is a pump and dump coin , created as a joke ,. I haven’t put a penny in it , because I buy and hodl... that said I know a few who have made 6 figures on it 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Per Adam Caplan.  

That's now 4 OLB's that fit best in a 3-4 type outside rusher position. Maybe Gannon has a few 3-4 wrinkles in store. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

That's now 4 OLB's that fit best in a 3-4 type outside rusher position. Maybe Gannon has a few 3-4 wrinkles in store. 

Going to be a lot more than a few 3-4 wrinkles if we use roster spots on them. I would say that of the four, at least 2 likely make the team. Wonder how Stevens fits in as a S/LB tweener? Very interesting.

27 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Per Adam Caplan.  

Thanks for sharing.  Will be interesting to see how they line up that's for sure.

4 hours ago, austinfan said:

Let's wait and see. Hurts is an elite runner, he doesn't have the breakaway speed of some running QBs, but he's built like a RB with RB open field moves (elusive and powerful).

So he doesn't have to be a great pocket QB, if he's merely "good" he'll be a top ten QB.

A889FCE4-76B4-40DE-A54C-5CB264FFB062.gif

Not sure if it's 3-4 or more going back to Jimmy Johnson, who took Emmons from the Steeler 3-4 and turned him into a first rate SLB who could play 3 downs.

A lot of 4-3 teams will line the SLB on the LOS at times in what is almost a 5-2, have him jam the TE.

52 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I think howie would trade for him right now if he’s want to come here and didn’t have his legal mess he’s dealing with. 

Would have been done by now if that were the case.  

3 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Toronto Eagle is a troll and it's not even close

I consider him an excellent poster, to be honest. I rarely disagree with anything he says.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Would have been done by now if that were the case.  

Yeah i truly believe if those two obstacles weren’t in the eagles path that they’d make that move. 

35 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

OK.  Essentially, it will be hard for Hurts to bust because there is little or no real expectations versus the opposite for Tua.  I guess that is fair, but it is hard to make a comparison with such drastic differences.  However, most analysts see it that way as one was clearly defined as a 1st round franchise talent and the other one wasn't.  I

Yeah i think cause expectations were so high for tua and was the 5th overall pick (plus dealing with Herbert who went the pick right after) it’s much more to live up to then hurts. If you believe the eagles at face value and what caplan has stated they viewed hurts as a backup QB then if he winds up being that then he met the expectations the eagles and many had for him. To me tua has to be a good starter to be worthy of that draft slot he went

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I was team Smith being overrated the entire draft process.  I wanted nothing to do with him.  I just didn't know what he was and I thought there were better options available.  I still think that.  I also think trading down still could have been the best decision but here we are.  Smith is our guy.  I've watched countless tapes of his now just trying to figure him out.  I no longer care about his size.  He just gets it done.  

When you try to figure out how he does what he does at 166 I think it's important to notice his wingspan and hand size.  They are freakish for a 6' guy.  His wingspan is 78".  Kyle Pitts wingspan at 6-6 is 83".  He can reach and make unreal catches.  He uses every bit of his wingspan whether it's coming back to the ball with his hands extended on a curl or a slant, or making ridiculous catches like the one against LSU.  

I still can't describe what makes him so good, he just is.

Best Devonta Smith GIFs | Gfycat

Go try to find one elite athletic quality with Wayne Gretzky. A bit undersized, good but not great skater, good shot, good hands.

Bobby Clarke was probably one of the least impressive looking athletes I can remember, all he did was win.

Tom Brady was a skinny kid with an average arm and below average athleticism.

Some athletes are just better than the sum of their parts, maybe due to unmeasurables like body control, spatial awareness, instincts, work ethic, competitiveness, etc.

Smith seems to be one of those guys, not going to run a 4.3, undersized, but all he does is get open and catch the ball. Big guys can't press him, fast guys can't keep up with him, athletic guys can't out jump him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Yea, and i'm terrified seeing Taylor playing any snaps unless he makes a big leap

Why?

a clear answer is valuable even if the answer is that they cant play

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I don't think all this roster needed was 1 DeVonta Smith to be conference contenders. There's just simply too many unknowns right now to say the Eagles will be better in 2021 than they were in 2020. IF Hurts can play at a top level, and IF the O-line can stay healthy, and IF Sirianni is a good rookie coach and has a good scheme and IF he can call plays and IF Gannon can make chicken salad out of chicken ish, then we can contend. Every teams has some sort of projection yea, but it's a lot easier to presume if Dak is healthy he will improve Dallas vs if Hurts can actually play at all. Just my opinion, I can't believe it until I see it.

I didn't say the Eagles chances were better than Dallas.  I just said that the Eagles had improved and it's not like any other team in the division doesn't have big question marks.  

38 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

I think its more they know he has no shot as a DE now. Hail mary pass

• Like 1

Worst division in football last year. Nobody wanted to win it, except the Giants. Eff the Giants!

1 minute ago, CouchKing said:

Worst division in football last year. Nobody wanted to win it, except the Giants. Eff the Giants!

4D43C4DD-0F17-4A03-9FE0-051AEFC3E07F.jpeg

4726529D-8A21-40B6-A2CF-07C5B48593BA.jpeg

553987D7-518F-49EC-9D60-045B8F7B4D4C.jpeg

• Haha 4