Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

23 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

The Tebow comparisons are ridiculous.  Hurts had nearly double the amount of yards as Tebow their rookie years.  And Hurts did it with more than half the offensive starters out. 

They aren't. Hurts had more yards because he had another start, played an entire half against GB and appeared with some regularity the entire season. Tim Tebow did nothing the entire year outside of his three starts.

The fact remains, no matter how you want to twist it, that one of the worst QBs to ever start in the NFL had similar numbers as a starter in his rookie year as Hurts did.

Anyone still questioning why people are concerned with Hurts have their head in the sand.

• Thanks 3

If the Eagles found a way to land ARod that would be insane (not necessarily in a good way). Obv not happening but I just wonder what would happen if they did. Would have to rapidly fix the secondary somehow to even compete while finding cap space for Rodgers.

35 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

If the Eagles found a way to land ARod that would be insane (not necessarily in a good way). Obv not happening but I just wonder what would happen if they did. Would have to rapidly fix the secondary somehow to even compete while finding cap space for Rodgers.

The Rodgers whining all boils down to his contract.  He’s $40M against the Packers cap in 2022, but just over $17M in dead cap to walk away from.  GB already has Jordan Love, who will be entering his 3rd season in 2022 so Rodgers has deduced the Packers will make their move at QB after this season — especially when Rodgers doesn’t get it done in the playoffs and blames everyone but himself (again)

He’s been after the Packers brass to renegotiate his contract with an extension and more guaranteed money, and he has the media crying his tears for him that the organization has been neglecting him.  Pure bunk — but it’s working so far 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schuy7 said:

Reagor has a lot of work ahead of him if he's to reach Agholor status. And I'm not an Agholor fan.

Meh. Reagor showed in college way more than Agholor did. His injury kinda messed up his rookie season, but you could see more explosiveness toward the end of the year. I want to see more of the high point ability he showed in college. I loved the Reagor pick at the time and while I admit his first season was underwhelming as heck, I think he has the talent to be dynamic. It’s all about his attitude. That was my only concern with him coming out of college, and it’s still an issue. If he can mature as a person, I think he can be a great player and complement to Smith. But I don’t blame people for being down on him. 

The only thing I take issue with is comparing him to Jefferson, who also wouldn’t have been effective in our crap offense last year

• Like 1

In some ways Reagor - Jefferson is similar to Waddle - Smith.

The more explosive WR v the more reliable and NFL ready WR.

5 hours ago, WentzFan11 said:

Please stop the Hurts and Tebow comparisons

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

The ridiculous comparisons should come to and end soon enough. 

Yes they ran the ball nearly identical in their Senior years and both are competitive as hell but Hurts can actually throw a football

Tebow under center looked like a monkey humping a football, he should of been drafted in the 4th round and McDaniels should of drafted nothing but linemen with the rest of the picks, then put Tebow on the practice squad for his rookie season so someone could teach him how to throw and in his 2nd season, designed an option/spread offense similar to Meyers.   That was the only way Tebow was going to be successful in the NFL.

He would of been drafted in the 4th round this year since finally GM’s are for the most part listening to their scouts when it comes to QB’s.    Competition and who you play for doesn’t matter as much as how you play, arm strength, throwing mechanics, how you handle a blitz and decision making matter.  

Josh Allen’s stats in college pretty much suck, 55% on completions, that’s way under Tebow and Hurts, but Allen has a cannon with poor throwing, he threw with his arm and only his arm.  Now he’s learned to use everything with much better footwork and his accuracy went with it. Just like with Wentz except the exact opposite, Wentz need to be rolled out almost every play because his pocket throwing was awful.  

Hurts has a lot more passing talent than Tebow, although that’s not saying much, his motion is a bit long but it’s obviously smoother than Tebow’s.  How he reads NFL defenses, his overall decision making and accuracy are what’s going to decide what kind of career he has in the NFL.  I think Tebow’s mom had dysentery when she was pregnant with him in the Philippines and fell into a coma, which might explain his slight delay in processing info.  

Fans always want to just use stats to compare players and that’s fine but remember the Russian Pollock who is now Allen’s back up, by that way of thinking he is probably better than Hurts, and much better than Daniel Jones, which sucks because the Giants are likely to go after a QB next offseason, they know it and it’s the biggest reason they made that draft-day trade. Hopefully the Eagles don’t. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Fans always want to just use stats to compare players and that’s fine but remember the Russian Pollock who is now Allen’s back up, by that way of thinking he is probably better than Hurts, and much better than Daniel Jones, which sucks because the Giants are likely to go after a QB next offseason, they know it and it’s the biggest reason they made that draft-day trade. Hopefully the Eagles don’t. 

I don’t know if the giants believe they are going after a QB this offseason yet but i think this is the make or break year for jones. The eagles trade up could ultimately work in the giants favor because if jones is bad again then they likely are picking in the top 10. There’s also a chance Chicago is picking top 10 and very likely in the top 15. That gives them the ammo to move up to get the QB they want or trade for a veteran like Wilson, rodgers or watson (assuming he is eligible to play). I don’t doubt they also factored possibly needing a QB next year into their equation when making that trade with the bears. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I don’t know if the giants believe they are going after a QB this offseason yet but i think this is the make or break year for jones. The eagles trade up could ultimately work in the giants favor because if jones is bad again then they likely are picking in the top 10. There’s also a chance Chicago is picking top 10 and very likely in the top 15. That gives them the ammo to move up to get the QB they want or trade for a veteran like Wilson, rodgers or watson (assuming he is eligible to play). I don’t doubt they also factored possibly needing a QB next year into their equation when making that trade with the bears. 

Agreed. Almost the worst case scenario for the Eagles now is that Jones isn't the answer because NY will then go after a QB next year. That may be through the draft or it may be via a trade. Either way I think they have a talented roster and a legit QB could really take them forwards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blindside said:

Meh. Reagor showed in college way more than Agholor did. His injury kinda messed up his rookie season, but you could see more explosiveness toward the end of the year. I want to see more of the high point ability he showed in college. I loved the Reagor pick at the time and while I admit his first season was underwhelming as heck, I think he has the talent to be dynamic. It’s all about his attitude. That was my only concern with him coming out of college, and it’s still an issue. If he can mature as a person, I think he can be a great player and complement to Smith. But I don’t blame people for being down on him. 

The only thing I take issue with is comparing him to Jefferson, who also wouldn’t have been effective in our crap offense last year

In what way?

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. Almost the worst case scenario for the Eagles now is that Jones isn't the answer because NY will then go after a QB next year. That may be through the draft or it may be via a trade. Either way I think they have a talented roster and a legit QB could really take them forwards. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if they are in the wilson, watson and rodgers market next year if jones falls flat again. I could see gettleman actually wanting a proven veteran QB rather than going after another unproven rookie QB especially if he is on the hot seat after next year. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if they are in the wilson, watson and rodgers market next year if jones falls flat again. I could see gettleman actually wanting a proven veteran QB rather than going after another unproven rookie QB especially if he is on the hot seat after next year. 

Absolutely and I guess that's what worries me. Next year's draft class doesn't look great for QBs (though a lot can change in a year) so I could absolutely see them trading for one of those more proven guys. Now of course we have more ammo than them so we could outbid them of course but 1) there is more than one option and 2) we have a lot of holes that need filling on our roster so we need those picks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely and I guess that's what worries me. Next year's draft class doesn't look great for QBs (though a lot can change in a year) so I could absolutely see them trading for one of those more proven guys. Now of course we have more ammo than them so we could outbid them of course but 1) there is more than one option and 2) we have a lot of holes that need filling on our roster so we need those picks.

And that’s why we all have to hope and 🙏 Hurts proves to be the guy this year.

The things we could do with potentially 3 first round picks. A top CB, edge...

96C82289-1B18-428B-BBCA-5F5EBE77FD6E.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

And that’s why we all have to hope and 🙏 Hurts proves to be the guy this year.

The things we could do with potentially 3 first round picks. A top CB, edge...

If Hurts proves to be a good QB, if he looks like a QB you can win with (not even necessarily win because of) then that's huge for this team. That means they can use their first round picks next year on really building this roster. Then a little further down the line they can decide whether they continue with Hurts or they go after a top QB. A little like SF did this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If Hurts proves to be a good QB, if he looks like a QB you can win with (not even necessarily win because of) then that's huge for this team. That means they can use their first round picks next year on really building this roster. Then a little further down the line they can decide whether they continue with Hurts or they go after a top QB. A little like SF did this year. 

Hurts could be the perfect QB for the Eagles. He’s the embodiment of what this franchise stands for. An underdog his entire career who works his ass off and will give everything he’s got for the team. Just like Rocky! 😂

The mindset and workethic are top notch. The only question is; is he talented enough.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

In what way?

Explosiveness, hands catching, high pointing

16 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Hurts could be the perfect QB for the Eagles. He’s the embodiment of what this franchise stands for. An underdog his entire career who works his ass off and will give everything he’s got for the team. Just like Rocky! 😂

The mindset and workethic are top notch. The only question is; is he talented enough.

Couldn't agree with you more! Lets see what he has this year. I for one am excited to see how he does. Not because I think he's definitely going to be a stud but because he's an exciting player to watch and I want to see how he develops.

6 hours ago, Swoop said:

They aren't. Hurts had more yards because he had another start, played an entire half against GB and appeared with some regularity the entire season. Tim Tebow did nothing the entire year outside of his three starts.

The fact remains, no matter how you want to twist it, that one of the worst QBs to ever start in the NFL had similar numbers as a starter in his rookie year as Hurts did.

Anyone still questioning why people are concerned with Hurts have their head in the sand.

The blind homers in here are relentless.  It’s really obvious who they are.  Makes you wonder what their agenda is.  

Not sure how many people took the time to watch the Hurts breakdown on the last page.  I watched 25 minutes of it and it wasn't promising. Compare that to the true freshman video of Howell on the same channel,  the QB play is night and day. 

9 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

This looks like a really good channel I just happened across last night. Its JT O'Sullivan breaking down QB film. I just watched a shorter video on Howell from when he was a true freshman vs Clemson. I clicked on his channel to see what other prospects he has vids on, and saw this one on Hurts. Probably a good watch.

TLDW

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, blindside said:

Meh. Reagor showed in college way more than Agholor did. 

What in the world are you talking about?   

Reagor - 148 catches, 2,248 yards, 22 TD in 3 seasons.  With his best season (sophomore, 2nd season) being - 72 catches, 1061 yards,  9 TD.  

Agholor-  178 catches, 2,572 yards, 20 TD in 3 seasons.  With his best season (junior, final season) being- 104 catches, 1313 yards and 12 TD.  

How in the hell did Reagor show "way more in college”?   Don’t give me the high pointing ish either.   

Jesus Christ.  You guys are hilarious.   

7 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

The ridiculous comparisons should come to and end soon enough. 

Yeah, you’re right.   Tebow won the Heisman and that means a ton apparently.  

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Couldn't agree with you more! Lets see what he has this year. I for one am excited to see how he does. Not because I think he's definitely going to be a stud but because he's an exciting player to watch and I want to see how he develops.

He will be exciting to watch running around like he does creating broken plays and he should be instantly better with a more healthy team around him and some coaching.  However, the excitement will wear off quickly when the losses start to mount with him at the helm.  

Some will say "Oh well, it was supposed to be a bad year anyway" and others will say "He wasn't drafted to start", but most tried and true Eagles fans will simply say "Here we go again with no QB.  Thanks, Howie, you MFer!"  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

He will be exciting to watch running around like he does creating broken plays and he should be instantly better with a more healthy team around him and some coaching.  However, the excitement will wear off quickly when the losses start to mount with him at the helm.  

Some will say "Oh well, it was supposed to be a bad year anyway" and others will say "He wasn't drafted to start", but most tried and true Eagles fans will simply say "Here we go again with no QB.  Thanks, Howie, you MFer!"  

I honestly think he’ll have a decent year and the offense will come out and surprise a lot of people.  The problem is that he has limitations and his potential will be capped.   The success he has will allow Howie and his supporters to kick the can another year at the qb position.  That’s IF we don’t trade for Watson.   

3 hours ago, Ray75 said:

That's a pretty big freaking question and the only thing that matters. I don't care a lick about the other stuff if he has no talent. This franchise needs to be about getting back to the super bowl and wining it again, not some half ass Rocky 19 theme

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Swoop said:

I think comparing Hurts to Tebow is a bit ridiculous.   Most NFL personnel didn't think Tebow could be a back up QB coming out of college and should have become an H-Back the day after his last college game.  Meanwhile most NFL personnel think Hurts would be an excellent back up QB and some think he can be a starter.

Comparing Hurts to Tebow is head in sand royalty.