Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

35 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Not sure how many people took the time to watch the Hurts breakdown on the last page.  I watched 25 minutes of it and it wasn't promising. Compare that to the true freshman video of Howell on the same channel,  the QB play is night and day. 

Appreciate the cliff notes

36 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I honestly think he’ll have a decent year and the offense will come out and surprise a lot of people.  The problem is that he has limitations and his potential will be capped.   The success he has will allow Howie and his supporters to kick the can another year at the qb position.  That’s IF we don’t trade for Watson.   

Therein lies the problem.  Hurts is likely good enough to eek out 6 or 7  wins with a healthy team around him.  That will sell some fans and Howie to consider it healthy progression and stick with it again and again to the same 6 or 7 wins.  

Related to Watson, I just don't want to give up the picks to get him, even though he is super talented .  On the other side of protecting the picks, as was pointed out by @greendto me yesterday, we still have Howie using/abusing those picks.  Tough call, but I could easily see the crapshoot of drafting a QB (especially Howie drafting a QB) coming back to haunt us.

Talented QB to me comes down to how fast can he process , accuracy  and the ability to navigate the pocket  , having a big arm ,being  able to run around , doesn’t even rate for me .

I do prefer a bigger body QB over shorter , lighter ones  .

21 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Therein lies the problem.  Hurts is likely good enough to eek out 6 or 7  wins with a healthy team around him.  That will sell some fans and Howie to consider it healthy progression and stick with it again and again to the same 6 or 7 wins.  

Related to Watson, I just don't want to give up the picks to get him, even though he is super talented .  On the other side of protecting the picks, as was pointed out by @greendto me yesterday, we still have Howie using/abusing those picks.  Tough call, but I could easily see the crapshoot of drafting a QB (especially Howie drafting a QB) coming back to haunt us.

I don’t think 6 or 7 wins, in a 17 game season, is enough to say "we’re ok at QB”.  

25 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

It's not a matter of what I want us to do at QB, it's a matter of what I think their intentions were when they traded Wentz and traded down from 6 to 12.  To get the equity to trade for Watson.  Of course we all know that Howie would use/abuse those extra picks we have.  That's been beaten to death in here.  That's not going away until Lurie opens his eyes.  And yes, the crapshoot of Howie drafting a QB in the 2nd round (especially one who was slated to go in the 3rd) has haunted us.  That's not news either.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greend said:

That's a pretty big freaking question and the only thing that matters. I don't care a lick about the other stuff if he has no talent. This franchise needs to be about getting back to the super bowl and wining it again, not some half ass Rocky 19 theme

Let’s first see what he’s got and answer the question after the season, okay?!

This is not to praise or defend Hurts, but using college tape over pro tape is absurd. It doesn't matter what a player did in college. Evaluate what is currently happening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Ok, bye.  

Well that didn't take long.  Isn't this song and dance getting old? 

5 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

No kidding :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Freshmilk said:

I think comparing Hurts to Tebow is a bit ridiculous.   Most NFL personnel didn't think Tebow could be a back up QB coming out of college and should have become an H-Back the day after his last college game.  Meanwhile most NFL personnel think Hurts would be an excellent back up QB and some think he can be a starter.

Comparing Hurts to Tebow is head in sand royalty.

As I've said, I don't think Hurts is as bad as Tebow nor will his career go that way. Not a single person has suggested that. You guys cling to that because the numbers slap you right in the face and show how sub par Hurts truly was.

We have people in here claiming he did really well. No, he didn't. He couldn't do anything when teams adjusted, he had a piss poor completion percentage, he fumbled the ball consistently and thew picks as well. 

There are several red flags with Hurts and if you or other people cannot see that, I can't help you.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

The blind homers in here are relentless.  It’s really obvious who they are.  Makes you wonder what their agenda is.  

It's honestly comical...and a little pathetic.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Does Kaepernick want to play TE?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RLC said:

This is not to praise or defend Hurts, but using college tape over pro tape is absurd. It doesn't matter what a player did in college. Evaluate what is currently happening.

Okay, Hurts hasn’t been a good pro QB so far.  52% completion and lots of fumbling isn’t good, and the team went 1-3 with him in there.  Not good (so far).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

No, but every job in the NFL needs to be offered to him first. In fact during the draft before players were chosen a call should have been made to Kaepernick to see if he wanted it first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The year is 2031, and Tim Tebow tries out for a NFL as a punter after not making it as a TE.

On Twitter, people complain that Kaepernick didn't get the chance first.

Me, still don't care about either Tebow or Kaepernick.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Only if they paid him 40mil/year

10 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

There you go using common sense....what most of the blue checkmarks on social media lack.  Somehow they are the people with the most influence too.  

33 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I'm not sure he could follow the argument if I explained it to a five-year old.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Urban Meyer 

I don't take anything Hurts did last year seriously, I mean compare to Wentz as a rookie in terms of preparation to start.

He was just thrown in there, without a real off-season or pre-season to prepare, didn't practice with the 1s, and was running some bizarro scheme with the most deep routes of any NFL team behind a shaky OL. Good that he got a chance to experience NFL speed, but otherwise pretty useless for evaluation purposes.

Watching the college breakdown posted, there weren't major flaws, there were a lot of little things that could be improved, his recognition, speed up his decision making, tweak his mechanics - exactly the kind of thing a good coaching staff does. We have the right coaching staff, we've added weapons and rebuilt the OL. It's up to Hurts to seize the opportunity - but until we see him on the field this fall no of us have any idea whether he'll succeed. Hurts does have the "right stuff," work ethic, leadership, competitiveness, but it means nothing if he can't produce on a consistent basis.

The Reich scheme is QB friendly, got a good season out of broken down Luck and ready for the glue factory Rivers, even got a respectable season out of JAG Brisset. And Wentz had an all pro caliber season under Reich. So either Hurts will step up or they'll develop another QB. But I'm not trading the house for overrated Watson and his padded stats (same with Wilson, QBs who hold the ball too long actually look better under the conventional rating system). He'll look good in this offense, but so will any capable NFL QB. Because the offense is designed to generate easy throws and protect the QB (both through reliance on the running game and the pass blocking schemes which are integrated with the play design).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, McMVP said:

I don’t think 6 or 7 wins, in a 17 game season, is enough to say "we’re ok at QB”.  

Neither do I.  I suspect that it is enough to create the illusion of QB progression with this FO.

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

I don't take anything Hurts did last year seriously, I mean compare to Wentz as a rookie in terms of preparation to start.

He was just thrown in there, without a real off-season or pre-season to prepare, didn't practice with the 1s, and was running some bizarro scheme with the most deep routes of any NFL team behind a shaky OL. Good that he got a chance to experience NFL speed, but otherwise pretty useless for evaluation purposes.

Watching the college breakdown posted, there weren't major flaws, there were a lot of little things that could be improved, his recognition, speed up his decision making, tweak his mechanics - exactly the kind of thing a good coaching staff does. We have the right coaching staff, we've added weapons and rebuilt the OL. It's up to Hurts to seize the opportunity - but until we see him on the field this fall no of us have any idea whether he'll succeed. Hurts does have the "right stuff," work ethic, leadership, competitiveness, but it means nothing if he can't produce on a consistent basis.

The Reich scheme is QB friendly, got a good season out of broken down Luck and ready for the glue factory Rivers, even got a respectable season out of JAG Brisset. And Wentz had an all pro caliber season under Reich. So either Hurts will step up or they'll develop another QB. But I'm not trading the house for overrated Watson and his padded stats (same with Wilson, QBs who hold the ball too long actually look better under the conventional rating system). He'll look good in this offense, but so will any capable NFL QB. Because the offense is designed to generate easy throws and protect the QB (both through reliance on the running game and the pass blocking schemes which are integrated with the play design).

He did practice with the 1's.

He was worked in periodically throughout the season.

What does Wentz's rookie season have to do  with anything?

You assume he will get good coaching - or that he will be responsive to it.

Reich is not the coach - we canned him, remember.

I agree about Watson and Wilson,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Neither do I.  I suspect that it is enough to create the illusion of QB progression with this FO.

More than enough.....

14 minutes ago, austinfan said:

So considering that he played for the best staffs in college football....two staffs known for putting out 1st round talent and 1st round QBs....yet he still needs better coaching?  Come the F on!  I agree with some of the components of your post, but that one is just ignoring the facts.  Those teams TRIED to develop his skills and break him of his tendencies.  It just didn't take.  We will see if this staff can break through or not, but throwing away more than one season trying is a mistake...thus why a Watson trade has to get some consideration.

• Like 1