Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

That's the most likely scenario imo. He'll have flashes in some games, then look terrible in others. He'll run his way to 6-8 wins, and the debate will continue. People will say "well it's technically like his rookie year since its his first time as a starter". Some will want to give him more time, others will be ready to pull the plug.

The worst scenario is he gets hurt before halftime of week 1 and misses most of the year with like a broken collarbone or something and then you go into 2022 still with no idea what you've got in him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

The risk is that he's better but not necessarily good enough to be a top 10 QB.  The downside is that the team, from an asset perspective, is going to be better moving on from him if they make a decision this season.  I mean if they win 7 to 9 games and he looks like a mediocre passing QB but shows improvement do they keep him? 

The best case scenario is that he looks like a Dak Prescott or 2nd year Carson.  The 2nd best scenario is that he looks as bad as last season.  The worst is that he looks OK.  

I think that's the most likely scenario for him.  

Prediction... 

Ok year, misses some time with an injury

2022, ok year, misses some time with injury

2023 make or break year.. Plays well, still dont make the playoffs and we resign him. 

27 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Can we have a Hurts Vs. Wentz debate so we can get off the other topics?

Bold, but not really a bold prediction:

Hurts will put up better numbers than Wentz in 2021. 

I wouldn't bet on that. But I'd say if his passer rating is within 5 points of Wentz* -- assuming he has about 500 or more yards rushing -- I'd say we should be relatively pleased.

*I should point out that I expect Wentz to put up really good numbers this year because, well, I think he's a really good quarterback who happened to have a bad year playing in an offense where almost the entire offensive line and much of the receiving corps was injured for most of it and will rebound to his former level when surrounded by a presumably healthy contingent of players.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

The risk is that he's better but not necessarily good enough to be a top 10 QB.  The downside is that the team, from an asset perspective, is going to be better moving on from him if they make a decision this season.  I mean if they win 7 to 9 games and he looks like a mediocre passing QB but shows improvement do they keep him? 

The best case scenario is that he looks like a Dak Prescott or 2nd year Carson.  The 2nd best scenario is that he looks as bad as last season.  The worst is that he looks OK.  

If he only looks OK the Eagles will move on from him. His chance to claim the Eagles QB position for 2022 and beyond is now.  Personally I hope he looks amazing so we can use the four top 64 picks in the 2022 draft to get some top notch defensive talent.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Prediction... 

Ok year, misses some time with an injury

2022, ok year, misses some time with injury

2023 make or break year.. Plays well, still dont make the playoffs and we resign him. 

Man why do you bother being an Eagle fan?  

55 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'll take that bet, you name the price

I thought you were taking a  "sit back and watch it play out” approach. Yet you plenty of predictions

These cyclical rants are tiresome. They prove nothing, advance nothing, and yet we indulge.

I’m going to bed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That's the most likely scenario imo. He'll have flashes in some games, then look terrible in others. He'll run his way to 6-8 wins, and the debate will continue. People will say "well it's technically like his rookie year since its his first time as a starter". Some will want to give him more time, others will be ready to pull the plug.

The worst scenario is he gets hurt before halftime of week 1 and misses most of the year with like a broken collarbone or something and then you go into 2022 still with no idea what you've got in him.

image.jpeg.0ec4405c889f539a05c25194300cf4e8.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

image.jpeg.0ec4405c889f539a05c25194300cf4e8.jpeg

If Jalen Hurts gets hurt in game one, we are trading for a starter or drafting a QB next year.

2 hours ago, NCiggles said:

I agree the worst is if he looks just ok, if he looks awful easy decision, if he looks awesome easy decision, if he's average then what???

Kirk cousins is the definition of ave and the dude keeps getting paid and starting so who knows.

Ryan tennenhill was an abject failure in Miami put him in Tenn with a run heavy run first offense and he's thrived.

Whereas you had a guy like trubisky who showed some flashes here And there but got a longer rope than normal because he was a first rounder and we all know how Howie has shown to out his own ego over the team so would Howie give hurts a lot of rope???

3 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

If Jalen Hurts gets hurt in game one, we are trading for a starter or drafting a QB next year.

I'd prefer to let Flacco play the rest of the season if Hurts gets injured

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Got to take a hard long look at doing it. Maybe they play the field first then build up towards a trade closer to the start of the season or traded deadline. Might explode in their face though if Cox gets hurt 

I see what you did there.   🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

If he only looks OK the Eagles will move on from him. His chance to claim the Eagles QB position for 2022 and beyond is now.  Personally I hope he looks amazing so we can use the four top 64 picks in the 2022 draft to get some top notch defensive talent.

Exactly. The best thing for us is Hurts establishing himself as a good starting QB so we can use those picks where they're sorely needed elsewhere on the roster. We are in desperate need of young talent.

Honestly unless one of these upcoming QBs is a Luck-level prospect i wouldn't draft a QB this year even if hurts sucks. Use those picks to build the team and then sell the farm for a QB 

5 hours ago, Utebird said:

I think it's a fools errand to draw any conclusions after 4 games.

When Hurts was Drafted I was angry I was confused, after Wentz went down in flames I thought well I guess they have a qb they'll give a shot.

I'm willing to give Hurts more than 4 games before I claim he's the answer or totally sucks.

I'm not sure why more aren't??? especially when it seems the eagles are.

I'm one of those that doesn't think Hurts will be a good NFL QB but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Question is if Hurts actually looks pretty good this year, is it going to be all about Hurts or will Sirianni get a good amount of credit?

15 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

I'm one of those that doesn't think Hurts will be a good NFL QB but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Question is if Hurts actually looks pretty good this year, is it going to be all about Hurts or will Sirianni get a good amount of credit?

HOWIE!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

It's a legit question. Sometimes it just takes a qb in the right system with the right coach to thrive.

I think hurts is the kind of qb that definitely will benefit from a system that best utilizes his skill set, and smart coaches do that.

We'll see if Siriani and hurts are a good fit.

I know I'm a broken record but it's extremely frustrating that the Eagles with a whole new staff and starting quarterback don't feel the need for mandatory mini camp.

If Tom Brady and the Super Bowl Champions feel mandatory mini camps are beneficial I don't see why the Eagles don't see the same value.

For those that say OTA's are better than mini camp and nothing gets accomplished:

What should we expect from mandatory minicamps?

During mandatory minicamps and OTAs, coaches are trying to install their offensive and defensive schemes. Live practices are a chance for players on the bottom of rosters to showcase their ability. They can also prove their grasp of the playbook.

Non-contact injuries do occur despite minicamps being helmets only with no physical contact. These injuries can be attributed to players being allowed to go full speed and prove their worth. As many have not pushed their bodies in explosive drills, it is common for players to go down with serious injuries. There are also accidental and awkward knee-to-knee type hits that occur.

The value of mandatory minicamps

Mandatory minicamps are extremely valuable for coaches to gauge the status of their roster. It allows them to begin making tweaks to their playbooks. Additionally, they will gain insight into which players they should keep an eye on. Meetings and practices will be far more critical this offseason, with many players opting out of the 2020 season.

Rookies will be building on their frames in NFL weight rooms while also trying to understand new plays. On-field work, paired with virtual and in-person meetings, will allow all players to prepare for training camp.

24 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I know I'm a broken record but it's extremely frustrating that the Eagles with a whole new staff and starting quarterback don't feel the need for mandatory mini camp.

If Tom Brady and the Super Bowl Champions feel mandatory mini camps are beneficial I don't see why the Eagles don't see the same value.

For those that say OTA's are better than mini camp and nothing gets accomplished:

What should we expect from mandatory minicamps?

During mandatory minicamps and OTAs, coaches are trying to install their offensive and defensive schemes. Live practices are a chance for players on the bottom of rosters to showcase their ability. They can also prove their grasp of the playbook.

Non-contact injuries do occur despite minicamps being helmets only with no physical contact. These injuries can be attributed to players being allowed to go full speed and prove their worth. As many have not pushed their bodies in explosive drills, it is common for players to go down with serious injuries. There are also accidental and awkward knee-to-knee type hits that occur.

The value of mandatory minicamps

Mandatory minicamps are extremely valuable for coaches to gauge the status of their roster. It allows them to begin making tweaks to their playbooks. Additionally, they will gain insight into which players they should keep an eye on. Meetings and practices will be far more critical this offseason, with many players opting out of the 2020 season.

Rookies will be building on their frames in NFL weight rooms while also trying to understand new plays. On-field work, paired with virtual and in-person meetings, will allow all players to prepare for training camp.

Are you aware of what actually occurred at the Eagles sessions?

I am pretty sure the things I bolded above did occur.  You didn't need 11v11 or 7v7 to accomplish them.

• Like 3

I had come in here to mention that Shake Milton will now become part of Sixer playoff lore.

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Are you aware of what actually occurred at the Eagles sessions?

I am pretty sure the things I bolded above did occur.  You didn't need 11v11 or 7v7 to accomplish them.

I understand that they were able to do some of this at voluntary OTA's.  I just don't like the approach they took at all.  I know most don't agree with me and that's fine but like I said, if mandatory camps are good enough for the SB Champs, the runners up and most of the top teams in the league then there must be something beneficial. 

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I had come in here to mention that Shake Milton will now become part of Sixer playoff lore.

Hell of a game from Shake and Embid.  Have a feeling Embid had a small chip on his shoulder with the MVP announcement today.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I understand that they were able to do some of this at voluntary OTA's.  I just don't like the approach they took at all.  I know most don't agree with me and that's fine but like I said, if mandatory camps are good enough for the SB Champs, the runners up and most of the top teams in the league then there must be something beneficial. 

You don’t see the major difference between the Super Bowl Champs who are running it all back and most of the top teams again who are mostly running it back with the same players and coaches vs a team with a completely new coaching staff besides maybe 2 positional coaches, and are in the process of rebuilding? 

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You don’t see the major difference between the Super Bowl Champs who are running it all back and most of the top teams again who are mostly running it back with the same players and coaches vs a team with a completely new coaching staff besides maybe 2 positional coaches, and are in the process of rebuilding? 

Wouldn't that make it MORE beneficial to take advantage of as much practice as possible?  That's what I don't understand.

To add on to this.  This is a brand new staff who has never worked together before.  Possibly the youngest in the NFL.  Hosting a mandatory mini camp would help them iron out practice kinks as well.  It's not just for the players.  I'm in the opinion that they need as much on the field work as possible.

Instead, they took the minimal amount as possible and are going to be doing a lot of stuff for the first time at TC.

It’s nice to see full capacity stadiums along with thunderous cheers of "let’s go process”. Really what changed the game tonight. 

6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Wouldn't that make it MORE beneficial to take advantage of as much practice as possible?  That's what I don't understand.

To add on to this.  This is a brand new staff who has never worked together before.  Possibly the youngest in the NFL.  Hosting a mandatory mini camp would help them iron out practice kinks as well.  It's not just for the players.  I'm in the opinion that they need as much on the field work as possible.

Instead, they took the minimal amount as possible and are going to be doing a lot of stuff for the first time at TC.

That’s exactly what they did. They got three weeks vs mandatory OTA’s which was 3 days.