Jump to content
Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That’s exactly what they did. They got three weeks vs mandatory OTA’s which was 3 days.

Am I confused?  Was it OTA's OR mini camp?  I see other teams doing both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Am I confused?  Was it OTA's OR mini camp?  I see other teams doing both.

The original format was rookie minicamp, two weeks of voluntary OTA's and 3 days of mandatory. They said they were going to boycott the voluntary, so the compromise was they would show up for everything if they scaled back a bit and had no 7v7 or 11v11's. They also had the rookie minicamp which all the rookies showed up to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The original format was rookie minicamp, two weeks of voluntary OTA's and 3 days of mandatory. They said they were going to boycott the voluntary, so the compromise was they would show up for everything if they scaled back a bit and had no 7v7 or 11v11's. 

Right.  I guess the issue I have is with both the players and the coaches and the point I'm trying to make is that the best teams in the league didn't need to compromise.  You have Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Gronk and Kelce all out there participating.  They didn't negotiate any softer schedule.  Maybe that's why they are at the top of the league and we are looking at 5 wins.

The Eagles veterans decided they didn't want to.  Who were those veterans?  Did some of the young guys want to be out there as much as possible but had the veterans override their opinions? 

I get it, the majority of you on here don't see an issue with how the Eagles went about this.  I just don't like it.  The Eagles sucked last year.  They haven't done much to improve the team if we're being honest and decided that they didn't need the full off-season workout schedule with a brand new staff.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Simmons had a big night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Right.  I guess the issue I have is with both the players and the coaches and the point I'm trying to make is that the best teams in the league didn't need to compromise.  You have Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Gronk and Kelce all out there participating.  They didn't negotiate any softer schedule.  Maybe that's why they are at the top of the league and we are looking at 5 wins.

The Eagles veterans decided they didn't want to.  Who were those veterans?  Did some of the young guys want to be out there as much as possible but had the veterans override their opinions? 

I get it, the majority of you on here don't see an issue with how the Eagles went about this.  I just don't like it.  The Eagles sucked last year.  They haven't done much to improve the team if we're being honest and decided that they didn't need the full off-season workout schedule with a brand new staff.  

 

 

Are you sure all the Bucs went to the voluntary OTAs?  Or did they just show up for the mini-camp?

https://www.abcactionnews.com/sports/tampa-bay-buccaneers-wrap-up-the-first-week-of-otas

"The first week of organized team activities (OTAs) is in the books, and not surprisingly, none of the Buccaneers starters showed up for "official" on-field work at the team's facility."

 

The Bucs players blew off the voluntary sessions and just participated for the three mandatory days.  The Eagles traded those three days of mandatory camp, that would have had 11v11 and 7v7, for two weeks of full participation at the voluntary OTAs.  It was a good thing.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

 

Are you sure all the Bucs went to the voluntary OTAs?  Or did they just show up for the mini-camp?

https://www.abcactionnews.com/sports/tampa-bay-buccaneers-wrap-up-the-first-week-of-otas

"The first week of organized team activities (OTAs) is in the books, and not surprisingly, none of the Buccaneers starters showed up for "official" on-field work at the team's facility."

 

The Eagles traded three days of mandatory camp, that would have had 11v11 and 7v7, for two weeks of full participation at a voluntary OTAs.  It was a good thing.

Except the Eagles didn't have full participation.

The Buccaneers have their guys at mandatory camp.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Except the Eagles didn't have full participation.

The Buccaneers have their guys at mandatory camp.  

Who didn't show up?  I believe it was just Ertz.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Right.  I guess the issue I have is with both the players and the coaches and the point I'm trying to make is that the best teams in the league didn't need to compromise.  You have Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Gronk and Kelce all out there participating.  They didn't negotiate any softer schedule.  Maybe that's why they are at the top of the league and we are looking at 5 wins.

The Eagles veterans decided they didn't want to.  Who were those veterans?  Did some of the young guys want to be out there as much as possible but had the veterans override their opinions? 

I get it, the majority of you on here don't see an issue with how the Eagles went about this.  I just don't like it.  The Eagles sucked last year.  They haven't done much to improve the team if we're being honest and decided that they didn't need the full off-season workout schedule with a brand new staff.  

 

Ok and top teams like Packers had none of their WR’s show up until the mandatory 3 days. Eagles had almost full participation for 3 weeks. How is 3 days where it’s mandatory everyone be there better than 3 weeks where mostly everyone is there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Who didn't show up?  I believe it was just Ertz.

Fletcher Cox, BG and Slay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Who didn't show up?  I believe it was just Ertz.

Just Ertz. And he probably wouldn’t have shown up if it was mandatory anyway. Media said there were some days they didn’t see guys like Cox or Slay but it’s unclear if they weren’t there or just not on the practice field. Plus the media was only there for 3 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

I know I'm a broken record but it's extremely frustrating that the Eagles with a whole new staff and starting quarterback don't feel the need for mandatory mini camp.

If Tom Brady and the Super Bowl Champions feel mandatory mini camps are beneficial I don't see why the Eagles don't see the same value.

For those that say OTA's are better than mini camp and nothing gets accomplished:

What should we expect from mandatory minicamps?

During mandatory minicamps and OTAs, coaches are trying to install their offensive and defensive schemes. Live practices are a chance for players on the bottom of rosters to showcase their ability. They can also prove their grasp of the playbook.

Non-contact injuries do occur despite minicamps being helmets only with no physical contact. These injuries can be attributed to players being allowed to go full speed and prove their worth. As many have not pushed their bodies in explosive drills, it is common for players to go down with serious injuries. There are also accidental and awkward knee-to-knee type hits that occur.

The value of mandatory minicamps

Mandatory minicamps are extremely valuable for coaches to gauge the status of their roster. It allows them to begin making tweaks to their playbooks. Additionally, they will gain insight into which players they should keep an eye on. Meetings and practices will be far more critical this offseason, with many players opting out of the 2020 season.

Rookies will be building on their frames in NFL weight rooms while also trying to understand new plays. On-field work, paired with virtual and in-person meetings, will allow all players to prepare for training camp.

I wonder if the offensive and defensive schemes are fully developed or if Sirianni and Gannon wanted to confirm some capabilities to determine who fits where in certain plays. I don’t want that interpreted as the Eagles not having a playbook. I just suspect it isn’t fully fleshed out yet.  TB is trying for a repeat Super Bowl. The Eagles are probably trying for developing a base scheme this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Fletcher Cox, BG and Slay.

Slay showed up for week two.  Didn’t you see the video of him with the QBs or the info he stayed after practice to lend a top CB viewpoint to Smith and Ward or his meet with the media.  I think  Graham and Cox have earned a break from individual drills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These players are **** now, you have the greatest job in the world, come to practice, have fun, bunch of pussys

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Swoop said:

I see Simmons had a big night.

He's a treasure.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

 

Are you sure all the Bucs went to the voluntary OTAs?  Or did they just show up for the mini-camp?

https://www.abcactionnews.com/sports/tampa-bay-buccaneers-wrap-up-the-first-week-of-otas

"The first week of organized team activities (OTAs) is in the books, and not surprisingly, none of the Buccaneers starters showed up for "official" on-field work at the team's facility."

 

The Bucs players blew off the voluntary sessions and just participated for the three mandatory days.  The Eagles traded those three days of mandatory camp, that would have had 11v11 and 7v7, for two weeks of full participation at the voluntary OTAs.  It was a good thing.

Their HC told the starters not to show up , he  just wanted the young guys and non starters there , 

why they worked out at one buc place , Brady worked out with starters  across the street at the Yankees practice field ,Brady’s long time trainer was there 

starters not showing up was HCs decision 

the whole team showed up yesterday .

 

Breer spoke with Bucs center Ryan Jensen and got details of the workouts in a follow-up story this morning. Apparently the workouts are overseen by Brady’s long-time personal trainer, Alex Guerrero.

"Tom’s done it for long enough and he always has his trainer there,” Jensen says. "When I was there, I was just snapping him the ball. But with all the guys running routes, Alex would always be there. Obviously he’s there for Tom, but he’s also watching the receivers run, and he noticed when they started to get tired. And when skill guys get tired, and their legs turn to jelly, that’s when they start pulling muscles.

"That’s when Alex would be like, O.K., he’s done, he’s done, he’s done—you’ve had enough work. That’s huge having Tom there, who has all that experience, running the practice, running the routes. And then you have Alex there, who’s been with Tom for a lot of years and recognizes those things, to help prevent guys from getting hurt.”

Jensen praised Arians for looking out for the players and being flexible and willing to work with Brady on setting up the workouts.

Jensen also told Breer that he felt a lot better physically last year because there was basically no offseason, no preseason and a shortened training camp.

Per the NFLPA by way of Breer, injuries in the NFL were down 23 percent, concussions were down 30 percent and there was a 45 percent decrease in heat-related illnesses in 2020. Yet points were up last year and penalties were down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

Dont disagree with you. Now for the last 15 or so years we've been throwing good money at a dead investment. 

 

Take off the handcuffs and it's not a dead investment. The postal service used to provide some banking services too. Probably not necessary today with the advent of virtual/online banking but it shouldn't be prohibited. If the government allowed the usps to profit they would. 

If your goal is to ensure the public has a inexpensive alternative shipping solution then its absurd to complain about the overall cost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Swoop said:

I see Simmons had a big night.

He did.  His D on Young altered their offense tremendously.   Young was 1-7 from 3.  Green can't hang with Young, Thybulle can't for extended periods, only short bursts.   Ben made Atlanta count on others to win.  It is the formula for winning this series.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Nivraga said:

Take off the handcuffs and it's not a dead investment. The postal service used to provide some banking services too. Probably not necessary today with the advent of virtual/online banking but it shouldn't be prohibited. If the government allowed the usps to profit they would. 

If your goal is too ensure the public has a inexpensive alternative shipping solution then its absurd to complain about the overall cost.

No its not bc the pension liabilities are a huge unnecessary burden on tax paying citizens for menial labor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Nivraga said:

Take off the handcuffs and it's not a dead investment. The postal service used to provide some banking services too. Probably not necessary today with the advent of virtual/online banking but it shouldn't be prohibited. If the government allowed the usps to profit they would. 

If your goal is too ensure the public has a inexpensive alternative shipping solution then its absurd to complain about the overall cost.

Even if you removed all the stupid regulations and handcuffs so to speak it wont profit. Also with NUMEROUS shipping outlets USPS usually isnt even the cheapest. 

11 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

No its not bc the pension liabilities are a huge unnecessary burden on tax paying citizens for menial labor

This. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What can we get for Fletcher and is there any one out there close to winning that has the cap space.  I feel like having him as the main guy wont help us one bit but he could go be a 1b guy and do some damage. we're also so far away that I'll take the draft picks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I'd prefer to let Flacco play the rest of the season if Hurts gets injured

I'd prefer to let some local high school super star play to insure a top 3 pick. 

Hate to say it but we need to figure out how to get a top 5 pick in 2022 and another 1st in 2023 and process this ****. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Original Sin said:

Their HC told the starters not to show up , he  just wanted the young guys and non starters there , 

why they worked out at one buc place , Brady worked out with starters  across the street at the Yankees practice field ,Brady’s long time trainer was there 

starters not showing up was HCs decision 

the whole team showed up yesterday .

 

Breer spoke with Bucs center Ryan Jensen and got details of the workouts in a follow-up story this morning. Apparently the workouts are overseen by Brady’s long-time personal trainer, Alex Guerrero.

"Tom’s done it for long enough and he always has his trainer there,” Jensen says. "When I was there, I was just snapping him the ball. But with all the guys running routes, Alex would always be there. Obviously he’s there for Tom, but he’s also watching the receivers run, and he noticed when they started to get tired. And when skill guys get tired, and their legs turn to jelly, that’s when they start pulling muscles.

"That’s when Alex would be like, O.K., he’s done, he’s done, he’s done—you’ve had enough work. That’s huge having Tom there, who has all that experience, running the practice, running the routes. And then you have Alex there, who’s been with Tom for a lot of years and recognizes those things, to help prevent guys from getting hurt.”

Jensen praised Arians for looking out for the players and being flexible and willing to work with Brady on setting up the workouts.

Jensen also told Breer that he felt a lot better physically last year because there was basically no offseason, no preseason and a shortened training camp.

Per the NFLPA by way of Breer, injuries in the NFL were down 23 percent, concussions were down 30 percent and there was a 45 percent decrease in heat-related illnesses in 2020. Yet points were up last year and penalties were down.

 

…and the football product was ugly.

But I guess since we are all willing to still pay for a watered down product, it doesn’t really matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Fletcher Cox, BG and Slay.

There are literally photos of BG and Slay at OTAs on the team’s website. And if I check now, I’d find some of Cox as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

What can we get for Fletcher and is there any one out there close to winning that has the cap space.  I feel like having him as the main guy wont help us one bit but he could go be a 1b guy and do some damage. we're also so far away that I'll take the draft picks 

Not many teams have a DT better than Cox, even at his age.  The issue, however, is that most teams have a pass rusher, somewhere in their defense, who is much more disruptive than Cox. Cox is being paid like that pass rusher, if not better.  And our defense is leaning on him to be our primary disruptor.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...