Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

55 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Kempski did a video of everyone of Hightowers targets last year, ugly stuff.

I remember all the hype for this dude coming out of camp and even the draft with posters staying he was the steal of the draft blah blah blah.

I remember saying he was too skinny and really struggled with contact during his route and at the catch point.

This vid clip shows alot of him getting bumped off his route and getting out muscled for the ball and avoiding contact after the catch.

For whatever reason I find myself defending him more than I did when he was drafted, he's shown the ability to get behind defenses and he runs pretty good routes he just needs to grow a pair.

Kempski has him as the 7th receiver just outside the roster looking in thoughts???

Howie was selling his third day drafted wide receivers hard last year... No one shoulda been buying... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yikes. 

Harris is fantasy gold this year 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Maybe Pres Taylor sucked as a QB coach and we will see improvement under Brian Johnson. 

I have long said that I think Brian Johnson is the best HC candidate on our staff.  And that includes the HC.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Howie was selling his third day drafted wide receivers hard last year... No one shoulda been buying... 

Realistically one of them will be on the 53-man roster and the other will be on the practice squad; I doubt any other team would try to poach either.  It never should have been anyone's expectation that the #168 and #200 picks would be core guys.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I have long said that I think Brian Johnson is the best HC candidate on our staff.  And that includes the HC.  

Then you've long been wrong.  Johnson hasn't even sniffed the NFL before this season; Sirianni has been a professional coach since 2009.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Realistically one of them will be on the 53-man roster and the other will be on the practice squad; I doubt any other team would try to poach either.  It never should have been anyone's expectation that the #168 and #200 picks would be core guys.

I know and agree. But it was made such a big deal last year when they were drafted... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Then you've long been wrong.  Johnson hasn't even sniffed the NFL before this season; Sirianni has been a professional coach since 2009.

He’s 34 years old.  JFC.  You want him to be an NFL coach, while he’s playing in college?  

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

He’s 34 years old.  JFC.  You want him to be an NFL coach, while he’s playing in college?  

I'm not saying Johnson can't or won't be a good NFL head coach in the future -- but he's not the best candidate yet.  Gannon and Steichen are better candidates, and they're not ready to be an NFL head coach yet either.

The hierarchy is set up as it should be; if Sirianni fails it will be because he's unable to delegate properly or motivate players properly, or make good in-game decisions.  Those factors as well as developing the weekly gameplan will decide if he can be a head coach or not.  If Sirianni washes out in 2-3 years then Gannon, Steichen or Johnson would be logically next in line -- depending on who gets promoted outside the organization first.

Just now, Alphagrand said:

I'm not saying Johnson can't or won't be a good NFL head coach in the future -- but he's not the best candidate yet.  Gannon and Steichen are better candidates, and they're not ready to be an NFL head coach yet either.

The hierarchy is set up as it should be; if Sirianni fails it will be because he's unable to delegate properly or motivate players properly, or make good in-game decisions.  Those factors as well as developing the weekly gameplan will decide if he can be a head coach or not.  If Sirianni washes out in 2-3 years then Gannon, Steichen or Johnson would be logically next in line -- depending on who gets promoted outside the organization first.

Ok.  Candidate is the wrong word.  Prospect is the word I should have used.   If you fast forward 5 years from now.  I think Johnson will be a serious HC consideration.  Sirianni will flame out and be an Asst for the rest of his career.   It really was a baffling hire.  I felt that when it happened and feel it even more so now.   

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ok.  Candidate is the wrong word.  Prospect is the word I should have used.   If you fast forward 5 years from now.  I think Johnson will be a serious HC consideration.  Sirianni will flame out and be an Asst for the rest of his career.   It really was a baffling hire.  I felt that when it happened and feel it even more so now.   

You may be right, time will tell.  I think Sirianni is a better candidate than you give him credit for.  He has almost an identical resume to Arthur Smith, except Smith had Derrick Henry making the Titans offense look better than it would have otherwise.

I grew weary of Doug's methods, and look forward to anything that might be an improvement.  Doug either lied in his PCs or he was Arthur Carlson running WKRP -- had no clue what was going on in the building as to injured players' status, endless non sequiturs like "we're really gonna have to lean on (JJAW)" -- followed by 0 targets, 0 catches for 0 yards, promising to get Wentz on the move with more play-action, followed by nothing -- the same losing formula week after week.  Doug was in way over his head at the end.

Sirianni might be more of the same; he hasn't exactly inherited a solid roster.

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

I always had Quez Watkins ranked higher...pre-draft and post-draft. 

Me as well. Thought he looked better in limited time last year as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rambo said:

He can seem to generate some separation.  Just can't seem to do anything else important like track the ball and catch it.

Also that 4:00 mark, Wentz spins left out of perfectly clean pocket nearly into the RDE on a 5 man pressure that was picked up beautifully to throw an off balance interception.  I really don't know what happened to him last year but his pocket presence was terrible.  Take a step up slide a little to your right and you're golden.  I almost forget what good pocket presence looks like for an Eagles QB between Hurts and Wentz last year.

Yup there were a handful of throes on this clip that were late or off balance throws that didn't give hightower much of a chance.

1 hour ago, NCiggles said:

I can't see why the team would keep JJAW over him. I know he criticized the RAC but it seems like he was often dealing with inaccurate passes. He definitely would need to improve to be a sure bet to make the roster.  

I wouldn't keep JJAW over him either but at least JJAW isn't afraid of contact.

In camps they had JJAW on the 2nd team and Hightower on the 3rd, so take that for what it's worth.

18 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

You may be right, time will tell.  I think Sirianni is a better candidate than you give him credit for.  He has almost an identical resume to Arthur Smith, except Smith had Derrick Henry making the Titans offense look better than it would have otherwise.

I grew weary of Doug's methods, and look forward to anything that might be an improvement.  Doug either lied in his PCs or he was Arthur Carlson running WKRP -- had no clue what was going on in the building as to injured players' status, endless non sequiturs like "we're really gonna have to lean on (JJAW)" -- followed by 0 targets, 0 catches for 0 yards, promising to get Wentz on the move with more play-action, followed by nothing -- the same losing formula week after week.  Doug was in way over his head at the end.

Sirianni might be more of the same; he hasn't exactly inherited a solid roster.

Sirianni is a dope man.  How you can’t be alarmed by his communication "skills” is beyond me.  The guy will wear thin quick.   Hard to be a leader when you’re looked upon was one of the guys.   

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

Me as well.

A few of us on here have.  I don't see anything really special out of Hightower.  He's a poor man's Torrey Smith with less wiggle...a very poor man.  

Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, Watkins, Ward are the top 5 with Smith and Reagor being the 100% locks followed by Watkins Fulgham and Ward as near locks.

Hightower, JJAW, Ausbon and Walker (the new guy) are fighting for WR6 if they decide to keep 6.  WR6 needs to be a ST guy.  I wonder what Ausbon would offer on ST.  He's a bigger WR with a bit of a mean streak in him.

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Sirianni is a dope man.  How you can’t be alarmed by his communication "skills” is beyond me.  The guy will wear thin quick.   Hard to be a leader when you’re looked upon was one of the guys.   

What exactly do you know that we don’t about his communication skills? Communicating to the media is way different then communication to a team, coachers, or an individual player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pederson sucked at pressers as well and he won a super bowl.

I think Siriani comes off a little better than Dougie P did with the media and players 

I like the staff he's assembled as well, they're young and hungry.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

A few of us on here have.  I don't see anything really special out of Hightower.  He's a poor man's Torrey Smith with less wiggle...a very poor man.  

Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, Watkins, Ward are the top 5 with Smith and Reagor being the 100% locks followed by Watkins Fulgham and Ward as near locks.

Hightower, JJAW, Ausbon and Walker (the new guy) are fighting for WR6 if they decide to keep 6.  WR6 needs to be a ST guy.  I wonder what Ausbon would offer on ST.  He's a bigger WR with a bit of a mean streak in him.

Apparently Walker is a pretty good special teamer and can return kicks, might give him the edge over a guy like hightower who played zero special teams snaps last year 

Moorehead seems to like JJAW for whatever reason and of course Lurie likes him so who knows...

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

If you're 7 feet tall and can't dunk the ball then you shouldn't be in there at all.  That's a liability.  How did he get 21 rebounds?

Did you watch the game?  

Means nothing, but it’s giving me life. 

• Like 1

Let’s keep this same energy in the regular season. 

28 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Brian Flores has shown he's quick to make a QB change if Tua struggles.  Seems like Tua is on a short leash.

Top 10 pick from Miami is a great timeline. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Tua is not good.