Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

9 minutes ago, austinfan said:

You can do a lot worse than Howie, 20+ teams have over the last decade. Most more than once.

No point speculating about the DBs until we see what Gannon is going to do on defense.

The fact that the only acquisition was Scott and a couple safeties, the only draft pick McPherson, tells me Gannon sees enough in the holdovers to patch together a secondary, he didn't have a lot of talent to work with in Indy as the DB coach but made it work. The resources on defense went primarily to the DL.

It may well be that he saw on film a bunch of DBs with enough talent to make it work if you gave them safety help  and allowed them to be more aggressive underneath, instead of leaving them on an island with 10 yard cushions.

Fact that he signed a S that was franchised last year, considered a day two trade for the CB they drafted and traded for a CB using some draft capital suggests that Gannon did not express satisfaction with the DBs available and that they spent some resources at the position. Granted the S is a one year fix.  
Fact they spent draft capital on DL suggests concerns about depth there after this year.  Fact he signed a LB that his LB coach is familiar with and drafted two more to go with two draft choices last year suggests concern about that position.  Fact that the Eagles drafted a DT that can play DE and a DT that can play NT  plus moved Avery to LB and drafted a stand up rush LB suggests something about Gannon’s D.  I think we will see some situational 3 down lineman with a stand up (joker?) rush LB seems likely.  

Maybe you see no point in speculating given we are three weeks out from seeing some install, but what’s the harm.  The Eagles have 9 CBs, 2 DBs (although PE.com’s labeling of players is suspect at best) and six Ss on the roster right now.   One of the most unsure positions is CB (probably accounts for some of the nine).  Makes sense we are discussing and speculating on this.

Dolphins announced they will have 14 open to the public TC practices and also are having joint practices with the Falcons and the Bears. 

Kind of annoying the Eagles are only doing 2 open practices all TC and no joint practices. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I thought Harry was overdrafted.   Alshon Jeffery didn’t get a lot of separation either but used speed and size to box out.  I think that is what they hoped for JJAW, but his problem is his agility, IMHO.  He’s not boxing out PAC 10 DBs in the NFL.  I do think there can be a role for WR/TE tweeners but it is hard to justify a roster spot for them.  And I question if either Harry or JJAW have such great hands as to warrant a spot.  Just like failed speed receivers that can’t catch, the NFL bust trunk is full of big WRs/small TEs that can’t separate. 

9 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Dolphins announced they will have 14 open to the public TC practices and also are having joint practices with the Falcons and the Bears. 

Kind of annoying the Eagles are only doing 2 open practices all TC and no joint practices. 

I blame the cowpad spies and pats cheating for making Lurie and Howie so paranoid about hiding practices. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

It's pathetic how they've minimized fan involvement and interaction over the years.  I can't stand this owner anymore.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, hputenis said:

It's pathetic how they've minimized fan involvement and interaction over the years.  I can't stand this owner anymore.  

Agreed. I mean the sole reason I’d like to go is to give Howie the finger but yeah… F them 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Yeah I don't get why it didn't open back up after Chip left.  Thought for sure that when Doug was hired they would go back to the old school style training camp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RLC said:

The Eagles have made the playoffs 3 times in the past 4 years. Last season's result is the biggest outlier.

There’s another one.  :wacko:

1 hour ago, MillerTime said:

No you gotta admit last year was an outlier. Howie is 91-84-1 as a GM. That’s including Chip’s 7-9 year. 84-75-1. And a Super Bowl win and multiple playoff appearances.

Now if we remove 2017 and 2020 he is 67-61. Still a winning record without what we both think our outliers should be.

Since 2010 there are only 13 teams with winning records. The stats are in Howie’s favor regardless of how many coaches he’s had. Honestly it’s more impressive that he has a winning record with having 3 different coaches.

image.jpeg.50f7c3edcebfd77c45ba19a635c29c0f.jpeg

I’ll stick with the one season in franchise history that we went 13-3, had the 1st seed and won the Super Bowl, as the outlier.  You know, since it’s never happened.   But you all can wave the flag on those 10-6 and 9-7 playoff seasons.  Because they happen all the time.   Yeah, last year was a dumpster fire and certainly doesn’t happen often.  But if you didn’t see the downward trend after 2017, then you weren’t playing attention.  

Face it. 2017 was a special year.  The rest during Howie’s "reign” have been mediocre.   

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Face it. 2017 was a special year.  The rest during Howie’s "reign” have been mediocre.   

Howie should trade himself to another team.

• Like 1

I get everyone discussing CB2, but one of my bigger concerns this season is Slay. I know he was banged up last season, but that further proves my point with him being 30 and on one of the most injury prone teams in the league. Let's not act like he's a sure-fire thing. He was pretty shaky last year. The secondary will be a disaster this year if they can't generate a top-tier pass rush. 

17 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’ll stick with the one season in franchise history that we went 13-3, had the 1st seed and won the Super Bowl, as the outlier.  You know, since it’s never happened.   But you all can wave the flag on those 10-6 and 9-7 playoff seasons.  Because they happen all the time.   Yeah, last year was a dumpster fire and certainly doesn’t happen often.  But if you didn’t see the downward trend after 2017, then you weren’t playing attention.  

I never once said that 2017 wasn’t an outlier as well as 2020. If you read my post you will see that I took both years out and Howie still has a winning record. Only 13 teams have a winning record since Howie took over. That’s not mediocre, it’s above average. I’ll take the long term stats to form my opinion over the overreactive short term. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

I think JJAW also led college football in contested catches. It was one of the reasons that supposedly the Eagles wanted him.  So, I think there is some truth to contested catches being a cautionary stat.  You want a WR who can catch a contested ball, but if they are almost always in a contested catch situations against CBs who will most likely get a desk job in a few years, then it should be a warning sign.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Howie should trade himself to another team.

Lurie would veto him.  

5 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

Wait. IF, and it's a massive IF, Hurts performs at an All Pro level, the team reels off 11-12 wins and secures a home playoff game....you'd still want Howie fired? Why??

Yes. He got lucky one year. I want him gone.

3 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

Ah yes, let's leave out the Super Bowl win. 

Lots of players and coaches contributed to that win way more than Howie and lots are gone

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

I never once said that 2017 wasn’t an outlier as well as 2020. If you read my post you will see that I took both years out and Howie still has a winning record. Only 13 teams have a winning record since Howie took over. That’s not mediocre, it’s above average. I’ll take the long term stats to form my opinion over the overreactive short term. 

Ok.  Then look at his long term track record of drafting or short term.  You pick.  Let me know what you find.  

Also, 67-61 would be an 8 year stretch.  Are you content with 6 games over .500 through 8 years?  That's a .523 winning %.  Which is worse than 8 years of 9-7.  And you're good with those "long term stats" ???!!!  I'm not.  Not by a long shot.  

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ok.  Then look at his long term track record of drafting or short term.  You pick.  Let me know what you find.  

Also, 67-61 would be an 8 year stretch.  Are you content with 6 games over .500 through 8 years?  That's a .523 winning %.  Which is worse than 8 years of 9-7.  And you're good with that???!!!  I'm not.  Not by a long shot.  

It’s better than 19 teams. If Howie gets fired we have a higher percentage chance of hiring someone worse than better. Obviously we want to win every game but compared to his peers he is doing above average.

Now when it comes to drafting I personally think that’s more of a coaching issue. Doug was holding players back vs developing them. 

• Haha 1

I have one more "long term" stat for you Lowie defenders.   Since 2013, the Eagles have DRAFTED 3 Pro Bowl players.  

Carson Wentz- Who has been traded because he wanted out.  

Zach Ertz- Who we have been trying to trade because he desperately wants out.  

Lane Johnson- Who is great, when he's healthy.  Which hasn't been as often in recent years.  

So in a few weeks, there will be ONE player on the roster that the Eagles drafted since 2013 and has made the Pro Bowl.  One!!!  

Yeah, Lowie is doing a bang up job.  

4 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

It’s better than 19 teams. If Howie gets fired we have a higher percentage chance of hiring someone worse than better. Obviously we want to win every game but compared to his peers he is doing above average.

Now when it comes to drafting I personally think that’s more of a coaching issue. Doug was holding players back vs developing them. 

Better than 19 teams.  Great!  So glad we have goals. 

Yes.  It's Doug fault that we drafted JJAW or Hurts.  Or it's Doug's fault we drafted Nate Gerry and tried to make him an NFL LB.  Or it's Doug's fault we drafted Davion Taylor and another long long long list of bad picks.  Next you'll blame Doug for giving into Jason Peter's demands.  Or bringing back Desean Jackson.....AGAIN!  Or bringing back Darren Sproles.....again and again and again.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I think JJAW also led college football in contested catches. It was one of the reasons that supposedly the Eagles wanted him.  So, I think there is some truth to contested catches being a cautionary stat.  You want a WR who can catch a contested ball, but if they are almost always in a contested catch situations against CBs who will most likely get a desk job in a few years, then it should be a warning sign.

It's like Ben Simmons getting so many assists.  Because he's afraid to shoot the ball.  If a player is so good at contested catches, it means everything is contested because he can't get separation.  I guess that's what the tweet is trying to say.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bpac55 said:

That's how I'm hoping it all works out.  Maddox isn't an outside CB.  We all know where he's played his best football...

safety

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I have one more "long term" stat for you Lowie defenders.   Since 2013, the Eagles have DRAFTED 3 Pro Bowl players.  

Carson Wentz- Who has been traded because he wanted out.  

Zach Ertz- Who we have been trying to trade because he desperately wants out.  

Lane Johnson- Who is great, when he's healthy.  Which hasn't been as often in recent years.  

So in a few weeks, there will be ONE player on the roster that the Eagles drafted since 2013 and has made the Pro Bowl.  One!!!  

Yeah, Lowie is doing a bang up job.  

2016 - 2019 drafts, we drafted 26 players, 10 are on the roster, and JJAWful and  Pryor may not be for long.  8 of 26 players on the roster when the season starts.  SAD.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Better than 19 teams.  Great!  So glad we have goals. 

Yes.  It's Doug fault that we drafted JJAW or Hurts.  Or it's Doug's fault we drafted Nate Gerry and tried to make him an NFL LB.  Or it's Doug's fault we drafted Davion Taylor and another long long long list of bad picks.  Next you'll blame Doug for giving into Jason Peter's demands.  Or bringing back Desean Jackson.....AGAIN!  Or bringing back Darren Sproles.....again and again and again.  

I’ve always found it weird that in order to defend Howie, he has to be reduced to being a glorified gopher/secretary. 

Well, except 2017. Nothing was his fault before or after. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It's like Ben Simmons getting so many assists.  Because he's afraid to shoot the ball.  If a player is so good at contested catches, it means everything is contested because he can't get separation.  I guess that's what the tweet is trying to say.  

39 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Yep.  I bemoaned this the day JJAW was drafted.  I'm all for a fun highlight reel of contested catches as the icing on the cake for a great prospect.  But too many contested catches are a sign of a problem, especially in college.

The Eagles chose to build their offense around contested catches when they rolled with 12 personnel, extended Alshon, and drafted JJAW.  It was a predictable, congested disaster.  Then they rapidly changed course in the 2020 offseason, but the problem is that they forced it and got all the wrong fast players.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You're entitled to that opinion and they're entitled to theirs. Not one spec of it really matters though because if Howie somehow pulls a winning season out of his arse this year he is going nowhere. Honestly even if he doesn't (unless Hurts falls completely on his face and Wentz wins a super bowl and probably not even then) Howie isn't getting fired.