Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

32 minutes ago, RLC said:

Wentz didn't respect Doug, so he didn't take to coaching.

Need to find a HC that Wentz respects or trade him.

if there is any truth to the report, its possible Doug wasnt doing a good job of coaching him. Its also possible wentz may be a head case.

we dont know the truth, but we do know Doug wanted to keep the older players like alshon on the team and in the game, its possible that, along with his play calling, game plans, made wentz lose confidence in Doug.

I know it made me lose confidence in Doug.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It goes beyond Doug. He clearly didn’t respect Groh or Taylor either. 

Hard to blame him there. 

Despite this, I'm still on the trade Wentz trade. Given the drama + injury history, I'd rather start fresh. If he crushes it somewhere else, so be it.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I will feel so much better when Alshon is gone.

MEE TOO, and wentz will also. 

2 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

This is pretty damning if true.  As a Wentz Hoper I feel less hopeful when I read this kind of stuff. 

unless wentz was making these decisions based upon who he was to throw to.

I stated it before, he showed confidence in throwing to Fulgham, he just let it rip to him. Not so much with some of the others. Can you blame him for second guessing throwing to a wr who he didnt trust?

i know earlier in the season he was just chucking it, and at times he had ints because the wr didnt fight for, or follow through with the route and he was getting slammed by everyone for his ints. Coaches probably did as well.

by mid season he stopped trusting most of his wrs. you could see he was tentative.

makes perfect sense to me

10 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Multiple sources.  And this isn't anything new.  These "types" of rumors have been circulating since the 2018 season.  

multiple? Like Alshon and Josina? 

• Like 2

Interesting timing.

It's clear that Pederson was the sacrificial scapegoat for the inadequate, stubborn and arrogant Wentz. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xBMTx said:

It's clear that Pederson was the sacrificial scapegoat for the inadequate, stubborn and arrogant Wentz. 

I think it's becoming clear that -- despite flashing spectacularly -- they both suck.

5 minutes ago, RLC said:

Interesting timing.

he knows what he is doing. stoking the fire and the rumor mill a bit. I think duce is the backup, backup plan

We needed to fire Doug to help Wentz so we are getting Duce or Mayo? LOL

11 hours ago, BigEFly said:

The consensus guy who defers to coaches on talent insists on a yes man?  Sorry but as much as I want Howie gone, I don’t see that. 

Howie claims he defers to coaches when the picks don't work out.  When the picks are right, which they rarely are, he takes all the credit for those picks.  They are liars.  Doug wasn't picking any player he can't even pick his coaches.

• Like 2

If that report is true, Carson Wentz is abhorrent. Can’t believe he bamboozled me all these years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xBMTx said:

So what redeeming qualities of Wentz's then led the owner to choose him over the coach? 

Or, how much worse must Doug be? This is pretty damning for him then isn't it?

Or do you think Lurie just decided he wants to choose the most toxic guy in the franchise and move forward with him?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thrive said:

If that report is true, Carson Wentz is abhorrent. Can’t believe he bamboozled me all these years.

Yeah it's amazing how in previous years players in free agency came here to play with Wentz.  

Suddenly after 1 season we find out he's this horrible uncoachable team cancer.

• Like 3

If there are any opinions to disregard, it’s former players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yeah it's amazing how in previous years players in free agency came here to play with Wentz.  

Suddenly after 1 season we find out he's this horrible uncoachable team cancer.

Gotta lay the groundwork for Wentz as the fall guy after 2021 season.  

Blaming the new coach after 1 year blows back on Lowie.  

They need to put just enough out there now to put it all on Wentz next year, but not so much that they can’t put it all on Doug this year.  

Im not joking either.  That’s absolutely the plan.

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Still end up drawing interest as a HC? For what a HS team? His name has now only popped up once as a OC with a lot of teams needing HCs when he was let go.

The fact he was not even interviewed by anyone for a HC job speaks loudly. Funny that some said a few weeks ago if Doug was fired he would get a job the next week as a HC, lol. 

Maybe next year Doug

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

So that one appears all but done too. 

Someone pissed in my Cheerios 😞

30 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

I would like to see Wentz "Voracek" McLane.

Will never happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace Nova said:

More from the article:

Roseman, owner Jeffrey Lurie, and other Eagles leaders, however, treated Wentz as if he had won that championship. They allowed him too much say in the draft, free agency, and coaching decisions. And while he played a large role in getting to the title game, and to the postseason the next two years, he has only six playoff snaps in five years to his name.

Wentz’s Type-A personality could be credited just as much for his past success. Many top quarterbacks share the same trait. But the 28-year-old had increasingly rebuffed advice, defied criticism, and clashed with former coach Doug Pederson last season, Eagles sources said.

"Every great quarterback wants to be coached and they want to be coached hard and by the best, and it doesn’t seem like [Wentz] wants that,” one source said. "It’s kind of like whoever’s coaching him is working for him. But it can’t be that way.”

Wetz alone also factored into Pederson’s exit, despite Lurie’s claim otherwise. The Eagles essentially remained "married” to the quarterback, as Roseman had put it at the time of the

"Everyone believed Carson had no clue about when to get the ball out on time,” a source said, "and as a result made his [O-line] look terrible in times they were playing fine.”

"If you look at the film, anybody out there would be hard pressed to say, ‘OK, I’m going to bring him in as my starter,’” an NFL source who works with quarterbacks said.

Reich and the Colts could have interest with Philip Rivers a pending free agent and near 40. But it would take a leap of faith and significant cost.

"I’m not sure Frank would take him,” a source familiar with Reich’s thinking said.

So, this doesn't read like a hatchet job by someone close to Pederson?

Every star QB gets input, that's a given, but none make those decisions.

As far as Wentz not trusting Pederson, gee, would I trust a HC who wants me to run an offense that obviously doesn't fit my skill set and sets me up for failure?

We all saw that the RPO doesn't work well with what Wentz does, nor did it make sense to have multiple deep routes by inexperienced WRs behind a makeshift OL.

And Pederson got totally away from the short passing game that worked at the end of last season with a bunch of PS WRs. And he quickly abandoned the running game despite two explosive RBs.

When the HC doesn't adjust to losing his TE and veteran WRs and leaves you out to dry, yeah, a QB can get gun shy.

Not saying Wentz doesn't need to work on his mechanics and decision making, and last season may be exactly what he needed - to be humbled and thus more receptive to coaching.

But Pederson was a problem and I'm glad he's gone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greendestiny27 said:

If it's Fing Kafka my passion for this team will drop to new lows. 

Or Duce or Mayo

11 hours ago, BigEFly said:

The consensus guy who defers to coaches on talent insists on a yes man?  Sorry but as much as I want Howie gone, I don’t see that. 

This is a nice way for him to always deflect blame for bad choices.  There's reports that he doesn't always follow the consensus, so then he just blames the coach... whom he hired... and at the end of the day, the GM isn't paid to build consensus, the GM is paid to take all the information in, filter it and then make a decision.  The GM is responsible for the decision - period.  Howie has never been held responsible for his decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

So, this doesn't read like a hatchet job by someone close to Pederson?

Every star QB gets input, that's a given, but none make those decisions.

As far as Wentz not trusting Pederson, gee, would I trust a HC who wants me to run an offense that obviously doesn't fit my skill set and sets me up for failure?

We all saw that the RPO doesn't work well with what Wentz does, nor did it make sense to have multiple deep routes by inexperienced WRs behind a makeshift OL.

And Pederson got totally away from the short passing game that worked at the end of last season with a bunch of PS WRs. And he quickly abandoned the running game despite two explosive RBs.

When the HC doesn't adjust to losing his TE and veteran WRs and leaves you out to dry, yeah, a QB can get gun shy.

Not saying Wentz doesn't need to work on his mechanics and decision making, and last season may be exactly what he needed - to be humbled and thus more receptive to coaching.

But Pederson was a problem and I'm glad he's gone.

They were all problems, AF. And these aren’t really new complaints about Wentz. It’s been going back years now.