Trey Lance (North Dakota State QB) -- DRAFTED BY SAN FRANCISCO #3

Ray75

8B90E299-BE74-42D9-B188-EC8DE9B7EF73.jpeg

6’3” // 224 lbs

Poise: This is the most important trait for a quarterback, in my opinion. How do you perform when under pressure or in critical moments? When everything around you speeds up, do you have the ability to slow down and remain calm? Lance never looks rattled. He calmly and smoothly sidesteps pocket pressure while keeping his eyes downfield. He excels on third downs and in the red zone, always making the proper decision.

Accuracy: Do not get caught up in completion percentage when evaluating accuracy. Lance completed nearly 67 percent of his passes, which is impressive, but the tape showed he was even more accurate than that number indicates. His ball placement is excellent. He really trusts his eyes and throws with anticipation, which allows his receivers better opportunities to run after the catch. He can layer the ball in the middle of the field (over linebackers and under safeties) and he excels on bucket throws (deep balls over the top).

Decision-making: 28 touchdowns, 0 interceptions. You read that correctly. He had zero interceptions. He is selectively aggressive. When there are big-play opportunities, he lets it rip and will fit the ball in tight quarters. However, he's very content to take his checkdown options if nothing emerges down the field. He makes full-field reads, and he's very quick to get to his third option before delivering the ball to the proper location.

Play-making ability: Here are the two questions you should ask yourself when evaluating this skill/trait: 1) Can you make something happen when the play breaks down? 2) Can you use your legs to pick up yards when the defense provides you with those opportunities? Lance can do both, and he does it effortlessly. He has outstanding instincts to avoid and create from the pocket and excels on designed quarterback options/runs. He's very athletic and generates big plays because of it.

Toughness: He's very strong/sturdy, and he doesn't shy away from contact. 

Projection: top 15

My take: it wouldn’t surprise me if they tanked the WFT game to get in position for a QB and while Lance isn’t a top 3 QB in this class, he could be in play if the Eagles trade Wentz, are not confident enough in Hurts and want to push the reset button.

• Like 1

He is a wildly interesting prospect. It would've been great to have seen what he could do this year. He struggled passing in his lone game this year, but rushed for over 100 yards. I'm not putting much stock in that game, though. Dude can fling it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RastaPasta said:

He is a wildly interesting prospect. It would've been great to have seen what he could do this year. He struggled passing in his lone game this year, but rushed for over 100 yards. I'm not putting much stock in that game, though. Dude can fling it.

Indeed!

While I’m all over Chase or Smith at 6, that feeling they fluked the WFT game for a receiver just doesn’t feel right for me. You don’t tank to get in position for a receiver in a deep class. You do that to get in position for a QB, elite OT or edge.

Maybe I’m wrong but it wouldn’t surprise me if they take a QB. Not saying it’s Lance. Might be trading up for Fields or Wilson. Hey, you probably get what I’m saying...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

Logical or not, I’m not taking another NDSU. 

Agreed!

Topic was not specifically created for Lance but the idea Eagles might be thinking of taking another QB.

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed!

Topic was not specifically created for Lance but the idea Eagles might be thinking of taking another QB.

If the Jets are dumb enough to pass on Fields, Howie should be getting Miami on the phone about a trade up to 3. Not sure what it would take in terms of picks to make it happen but I’d be trying. Too bad they have a tight end already or I’d offer Ertz in the deal if that’s what it takes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's an interesting prospect but I hope there's just no way this team goes near him. 

This front office is capable of doing the bizarre. :facepalm:

I hope they learned their lesson with Wentz, but do we really know that for sure?

Hurts deserves a shot for the starting job in 2021. If he and Wentz are both on the roster next season, make it an open competition, irrespective of contract.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Hurts deserves a shot for the starting job in 2021. If he and Wentz are both on the roster next season, make it an open competition, irrespective of contract.

I mean look... If they absolutely love a QB in this draft and that guy is there then they do need to think about pulling the trigger. 

Do I think it's likely? No. Do I think it would be Lance? No. But who knows like you say. 

8 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

This front office is capable of doing the bizarre. :facepalm:

I hope they learned their lesson with Wentz, but do we really know that for sure?

I agree on giving Hurts the shot, unless they somehow have a chance to get Fields. That kid is gonna be great IMO

• Like 1

Just now, nipples said:

I agree on giving Hurts the shot, unless they somehow have a chance to get Fields. That kid is gonna be great IMO

I think Fields is going to be great too but I don't think they are going to have a shot at getting him. Not unless they trade up which I doubt. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Fields is going to be great too but I don't think they are going to have a shot at getting him. Not unless they trade up which I doubt. 

They’d have to trade up, but I don’t think it’s unrealistic. What do we think it would take to go from 6 to 3? 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

They’d have to trade up, but I don’t think it’s unrealistic. What do we think it would take to go from 6 to 3? 

I think they'd need to get to 2 though right? I mean sure have a package ready at 3 i guess if they want to see how it plays out? But I mean to get up to 3? That's going to need a good package. Look at what Chicago gave up to move up one spot with SF for Mitch... And SF weren't even interested in Mitch. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

You're in Top 5 territory. Next year's 1st maybe? You're not on the value board at that point. You ain't getting it for a 2nd and a 6th. 

I know we're using this as an exercise (that I don't think they'd do), but I honestly think Miami would want to pull a haul to pass on Sewell (regardless of them having a LT in place from last year). Also, while I think it would be crazy for them to move on from Tua, remember that they played him this year to MAKE SURE THEY LIKED HIM. 

Watch them smooth things over with Carson and then Howie drafts Lance saying "we think Carson will be happy having a fellow Bison in the QB room with him!"

1 minute ago, stinkfist said:

You're in Top 5 territory. Next year's 1st maybe? You're not on the value board at that point. You ain't getting it for a 2nd and a 6th. 

I guess it depends? I mean say NY like Wentz a lot would they take a deal with Wentz involved? Maybe not but I think there is chance. 

I hope a QB is on the board when the Eagles pick, and I hope they trade back a bit. Add a 2nd rounder. I would be equally pleased with Chase, Smith or Surtain on draft day and they need to draft bodies. Carolina, San Fran want to move up for a QB and call us ... sure, I'll move back. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I guess it depends? I mean say NY like Wentz a lot would they take a deal with Wentz involved? Maybe not but I think there is chance. 

Think he'll be gone by then. Of course we're just spitfiring, so never know. 

2 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Think he'll be gone by then. Of course we're just spitfiring, so never know. 

You think Wentz will be gone by then? He could be gone to NY of course... Wentz, Ertz and #6 for #2. Its hypothetical but do you do it?

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You think Wentz will be gone by then? He could be gone to NY of course... Wentz, Ertz and #6 for #2. Its hypothetical but do you do it?

That would be a very interesting scenario, and considering Howie pulled off the salary dump of Byron Maxwell and Kiko Alonso back in 2016 to move up from 13 to 8, you would imagine he'd try to see what he can do with Wentz and Ertz? I know Ohio State QBs haven't been known for lighting up the NFL, but Justin Fields is probably the only other QB outside of Trevor Lawrence that I would want this team considering in this year's draft.

I just want them to be smart about their 6th pick. Look back to 2013 when they rightfully stood pat and selected Lane Johnson instead of Geno Smith, who a lot of people mocked to us before the draft because of our QB situation at the time. There's even a slight possibility that Penei Sewell falls to 6 (unlikely but can happen if Dolphins and Bengals go WR).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think that having both of these QBs on the roster come late April/early May is a recipe for disaster that not even Howie the Egomaniac should try to balance. 

I get where you're going in theory on the trade, but I just don't see that happening. I think Ertz is going to be a 4th to 6th rounder and then a conditional 2022 pick based on how well he performs because, he was just plain awful this year. He legit could bring us a 5th or 6th rounder this year. He was awful. 

Too many moving parts for it to be that easy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I just want them to be smart about their 6th pick. Look back to 2013 when they rightfully stood pat and selected Lane Johnson instead of Geno Smith, who a lot of people mocked to us before the draft because of our QB situation at the time. There's even a slight possibility that Penei Sewell falls to 6 (unlikely but can happen if Dolphins and Bengals go WR).

Unfortunately with Howie I don't think they'll be smart with the pick but yeah I mean I hope so too.

If they love Fields or Lawrence and can find a way to get up to #2 without trading the farm then go for it. If not then stay put and take the BPA or listen to offers to move back. Bottom line add young elite talent to this team. 

8 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I think that having both of these QBs on the roster come late April/early May is a recipe for disaster that not even Howie the Egomaniac should try to balance. 

Oh I agree but what's to say they don't make the trade to move up early in the new season? Like as soon as the new league year starts?

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think they'd need to get to 2 though right? I mean sure have a package ready at 3 i guess if they want to see how it plays out? But I mean to get up to 3? That's going to need a good package. Look at what Chicago gave up to move up one spot with SF for Mitch... And SF weren't even interested in Mitch. 

My scenario is if the Jets pass on Fields at 2, and instead take Sewell to try to stick with Darnold. Then they’d need to get to 3 just to jump in front of Atlanta, who will probably be looking QB to replace Ryan. 

14 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I know we're using this as an exercise (that I don't think they'd do), but I honestly think Miami would want to pull a haul to pass on Sewell (regardless of them having a LT in place from last year). Also, while I think it would be crazy for them to move on from Tua, remember that they played him this year to MAKE SURE THEY LIKED HIM. 

To be honest I don’t know Miami’s needs enough to really consider what they may trade for. Say the Eagles offer Cox with picks? I think they’ll look to move Cox either way to free up cap space. 

3 hours ago, nipples said:

My scenario is if the Jets pass on Fields at 2, and instead take Sewell to try to stick with Darnold. Then they’d need to get to 3 just to jump in front of Atlanta, who will probably be looking QB to replace Ryan. 

I mean the one thing the Jets know is that they tend to suck every year. So if they pass on a QB this year they'll be in the hunt for the top QB again next year. 🤣