Trey Lance (North Dakota State QB) -- DRAFTED BY SAN FRANCISCO #3

Ray75

6 hours ago, nipples said:

To be honest I don’t know Miami’s needs enough to really consider what they may trade for. Say the Eagles offer Cox with picks? I think they’ll look to move Cox either way to free up cap space. 

You think the Eagles are going to move Fletcher Cox? Yeah, I don't see that happening. 

6 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

You think the Eagles are going to move Fletcher Cox? Yeah, I don't see that happening. 

Look at the salary cap situation. They HAVE to shed money somewhere. If you can tell me how they can possibly do it without trading some of their older players on bigger contracts, I’d be happy to hear it but... it’s not easy. 

57 minutes ago, nipples said:

Look at the salary cap situation. They HAVE to shed money somewhere. If you can tell me how they can possibly do it without trading some of their older players on bigger contracts, I’d be happy to hear it but... it’s not easy. 

Well, last I checked they were around $25 million in cap room this season and that pushes to next year. 

They just did something with Alshon and Malik to create an additional $20 mill this year, that will also roll over. So, you're at $45 rolled over. 

You're then going to cut or trade Alshon, DeSean, Malik, Marquise Goodwin, McLeod...

Fletcher is only signed through 2022 and has a void year. You can restructure that deal and make his cap number much smaller. Brandon Graham is going to have to restructure or leave and he knows it. Wentz has already leaked through his agent, sent smoke signals, whatever that he will restructure to accommodate a trade and I'm not taking that into account  

Moving money around in the NFL isn't hard. They'll figure that out. 

39 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Well, last I checked they were around $25 million in cap room this season and that pushes to next year. 

They just did something with Alshon and Malik to create an additional $20 mill this year, that will also roll over. So, you're at $45 rolled over. 

You're then going to cut or trade Alshon, DeSean, Malik, Marquise Goodwin, McLeod...

Fletcher is only signed through 2022 and has a void year. You can restructure that deal and make his cap number much smaller. Brandon Graham is going to have to restructure or leave and he knows it. Wentz has already leaked through his agent, sent smoke signals, whatever that he will restructure to accommodate a trade and I'm not taking that into account  

Moving money around in the NFL isn't hard. They'll figure that out. 

I might be wrong but I don’t think ALL the left over cap space can be rolled into the following year. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I might be wrong but I don’t think ALL the left over cap space can be rolled into the following year. 

I do not speak definitively to you because I'm not an expert. Always used to try and learn as much as I could from BJ and had him on our website when it existed, but he's a far more intelligent man than me, which is why he does this for a living. Jason Fitzgerald from Over The Cap is a good source as well. I know actual cap vs. adjusted cap is a factor as well. 

The point I am trying to make is that the situation isn't quite so dire. The Eagles could certainly trade Fletcher Cox simply because he's a very, very valuable trade chip. I don't think they will though, and I don't think it would be "to get under the cap". 

I will say that I think Howie got himself in this mess by being romantic with aging players and he needs to be super careful when negotiating Fletcher's next deal. The deal he gave Brandon Brooks was not a good one. Paying Jason Peters over and over just became laughable. I love Jason as much as any player, but he needed to retire. I'd have zero interest in extending Zach Ertz, regardless of how much he's done for me. 

I know that sounds cold, but these guys are 30 years old. That's an age where a lot of guys are starting to retire now. Instead of trading FOR talent, I'd be trading my talent. 

Need to find a healthy balance. I'm not a Roseman fan and never have been. Not even the Super Bowl. Off the point though. 

14 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I do not speak definitively to you because I'm not an expert. Always used to try and learn as much as I could from BJ and had him on our website when it existed, but he's a far more intelligent man than me, which is why he does this for a living. Jason Fitzgerald from Over The Cap is a good source as well. I know actual cap vs. adjusted cap is a factor as well. 

The point I am trying to make is that the situation isn't quite so dire. The Eagles could certainly trade Fletcher Cox simply because he's a very, very valuable trade chip. I don't think they will though, and I don't think it would be "to get under the cap". 

I will say that I think Howie got himself in this mess by being romantic with aging players and he needs to be super careful when negotiating Fletcher's next deal. The deal he gave Brandon Brooks was not a good one. Paying Jason Peters over and over just became laughable. I love Jason as much as any player, but he needed to retire. I'd have zero interest in extending Zach Ertz, regardless of how much he's done for me. 

I know that sounds cold, but these guys are 30 years old. That's an age where a lot of guys are starting to retire now. Instead of trading FOR talent, I'd be trading my talent. 

Need to find a healthy balance. I'm not a Roseman fan and never have been. Not even the Super Bowl. Off the point though. 

I  believe they were trading for talent because they blindly thought their window was still open, that they had a legitimate chance to compete for another championship.  After witnessing this travesty of a season they better have come to the realization that we are no where near being a championship contender and yes, trade off assets like Ertz, move on from those aging vets like Peters that clearly have nothing left in the tank (I thought that was obvious a year ago).  

Regardless of what moves they make, they will not be a competitive team in 2021 either ... better they realize that now as well and make those difficult decisions (taking large cap hits to part with some veterans, etc.) this upcoming offseason, basically taking one on the chin in 2021 to better prepare them for 2022 and beyond.  

On 1/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean the one thing the Jets know is that they tend to suck every year. So if they pass on a QB this year they'll be in the hunt for the top QB again next year. 🤣

The Jets would be insane to pay Darnold $25 million this year with the selection of QBs in the draft.
If they pass up Justin Fields they're certifiable.

Like Nelson Agholor, Darnold's best chance to save his career is to make it back to sunny California where he feels comfortable.

As for Lance, he might turn out to be great but he's had a very short career in a minor conference.
Thee are 5 other QBs I'd take before him in the draft.

I love Lance as a prospect. He is my 2nd favourite QB in the draft and if the Eagles want to move on from Wentz, I’d be OK with him at #6

The thing that does scare me is just the lack of tape - really wish we had another year to analyse. Because of that, he is the ultimate boom/bust pick in this draft. 

Lance is just too risky of a prospect to take at 6 IMO.

Also not thrilled with the idea of grabbing another NDSU QB with a high 1st round pick. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Lance is just too risky of a prospect to take at 6 IMO.

Also not thrilled with the idea of grabbing another NDSU QB with a high 1st round pick. 

Agreed. I think next time we pick a QB high (be that this year, next or in 10 years) we should be looking at a guy who's played at the highest level in college. Not necessarily the top college but just against the better teams. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I think next time we pick a QB high (be that this year, next or in 10 years) we should be looking at a guy who's played at the highest level in college. Not necessarily the top college but just against the better teams. 

And one that didn't have accuracy issues coming in.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be mad if the Eagles selected this guy at #6, he's better than both Wentz and Hurts......combined.  Seriously, take the best of Wentz and the best of Hurts and tis guy is still better.

Lance seem to have the goods, he'd probably be the second best QB in the NFC behind Rodgers even if Wentz returns to his 2017 form which wasn't as good as many try to claim it was due to a measly 60% completion rate. 

Selecting him would surely prompt Wentz redo his contract enabling a trade which would probably be the best for the team, I really don't think he'll be able to handle the pressure.

There were 3 or 4 passes from Hurts that has me doubting putting my eggs in his basket, he seems to be one that doesn't handle the pressure that well also, that's why he looked the way he did at 'Bama, it's a lot of pressure playing for Saban the icon.

While Howie and Co would look like the morons they are, they'll look as smart as hell if they pull the trigger on admitting that they are morons.

This guy has Mahomes written all over him.

I don't understand all the fuss over a QB who has no substantive record of achievement.

It boggles my mind that Mac Jones who's beaten every one of his lauded opponents (other than Lance who hasn't played anyone worth beating)
is being given such short shrift. My hope is that Belichik will grab him and start his next dynasty - as Mac is practically a Tom Brady clone.

it'll be fun watching Lance do for his NFL team what Wentz did for the Eagles.

A big flash and then poof!!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe Howie will go back to the N. Dakota Well one more time. I'm sure Wentz would love it.

Haha.

# 6 the Philadelphia Eagles select, Trey Lance, QB, N. Dakota State. 

Mel Kiper, I don't understand this move for this Joke of a franchise. It makes no sense. It's a further example of why the Eagles Howie Roseman should be fired. 

Here's a typical Howie occurrence. 

Fields on the Board @ # 6, Eagles select Trey Lance. 

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Here's a typical Howie occurrence. 

Fields on the Board @ # 6, Eagles select Trey Lance. 

Oh absolutely I could see that. Mind you I think Howie may feel a little stung by NDSU.

• Like 1