Deshaun Watson (Texans QB) -- TRADED TO CLEVELAND

eaglesfan0075

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yes they did - read the above post!

But yeah, never really showed why they kept him around for so long.

My bad. Yeah he never progressed at all.

On 6/7/2021 at 5:35 PM, MillerTime said:

My bad. Yeah he never progressed at all.

Sudfeld is the new Chase Daniel, sticking around the league for years longer than way more talented college QB's from the same year, Sudfeld is still on a roster but Christian Hackenberg, Kevin Hogan and Connor Cook are all on the street, they weren't great but I thought Hogan and Hackenberg had a shot at being decent back ups at least, and I would've taken all of them to have a longer career than Nate Sudfeld.

48 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Sudfeld is the new Chase Daniel, sticking around the league for years longer than way more talented college QB's from the same year, Sudfeld is still on a roster but Christian Hackenberg, Kevin Hogan and Connor Cook are all on the street, they weren't great but I thought Hogan and Hackenberg had a shot at being decent back ups at least, and I would've taken all of them to have a longer career than Nate Sudfeld.

Yeah I'm not sure what it is with some players and why they stick around the league so much longer?

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I'm not sure what it is with some players and why they stick around the league so much longer?

I think they’re the NFL’s equivalence of Smithers. They do and say the right things and coaches like having them around

• Like 1

I remember hearing from some NFL talking head that the #1 job of the #2 and #3 QB is to help get the #1 QB get ready for game days. It's part of the reason Charlie Batch lasted so long, Big Ben went to bat for him and said he needed him in the QB room.

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Apparently he wants to go to Denver

His ex team mate who plays for Denver said Watson wants to play for Denver. Im sure if a few other players called to talk to him that are on other teams he would say he would like to play with them also. Im sure Watson would take almost any team at this point to get out of Houston. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2021 at 2:17 PM, DeathByEagle said:

His ex team mate who plays for Denver said Watson wants to play for Denver. Im sure if a few other players called to talk to him that are on other teams he would say he would like to play with them also. Im sure Watson would take almost any team at this point to get out of Houston. 

Not sure why this guy wants to go there. 

On 7/19/2021 at 1:18 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Not sure why this guy wants to go there. 

Apparently they have this really talented roster...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2021 at 3:49 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Apparently they have this really talented roster...

They do have some nice weapons over in denver, but I dont know if I would say thier skill positions are better than ours overall.

• Like 1

The whole "Watson wants out" thing started when he complained that he didn't have any say in personnel decisions. Does anybody really think he'd get that here? We may have the draft capital to make the trade, but he would just be a malcontent here with no input. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 11:23 AM, What The F said:

That 2017 team would have made it to the Superbowl with Bobby Hoying playing QB.  With that said....  Wentz made some ridiculous plays that year that not many QBs would have made. Any of them game savers? dunno..   I will say that right now, id take Watson over Wentz 100x out of 100.  None of us, or anyone else would have been able to make that decision in 2016.... 

I'll take Hurts over both of them now. Got to give Hurts a chance.

2 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I'll take Hurts over both of them now. Got to give Hurts a chance.

Exhibit A why Hurts should not be the QB

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Exhibit A why Hurts should not be the QB

You think I'm stupid? Getting Watson would cost at least 3 first round pick in addition to paying him $39M/year. We also don't know his suspension status. Remember how trading up for Wentz didn't work out long term? Wentz has a injury history (BTW, he has a foot injury now). What makes you think trading for Watson will work out? Who's your answer then?

• Haha 1

Just now, gameshowfan91 said:

You think I'm stupid? Getting Watson would cost at least 3 first round pick in addition to paying him $39M/year. We also don't know his suspension status. Remember how trading up for Wentz didn't work out long term? Wentz has a injury history (BTW, he has a foot injury now). What makes you think trading for Watson will work out?

You obviously don’t understand how the salary cap works in trades.  The team acquiring him would not be paying 39M per year.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

You obviously don’t understand how the salary cap works in trades.  The team acquiring him would not be paying 39M per year.

What about after this year? Eagles will have to pay that salary. Plus, Eagles can get 4-5 starters with that money and 3 first round picks.

Just now, gameshowfan91 said:

What about after this year? Eagles will have to pay that salary. Plus, Eagles can get 4-5 starters with that money and 3 first round picks.

And if he is traded  for he will have no guaranteed money left on his contract, so you can restructure him and move the big hits to 2024 and 2025

No doubt Watson is an elite level talent, but I feel like if he were here this team would basically be spinning it’s wheels to nowhere fast. I hope they focus on building a team rather than trading away a bunch of assets for this guy, because I don’t see the Eagles as contenders just cause here here. So many off the field issues to go with the two injuries. Heck this dude has missed more games than Carson. I really hope they pass on this guy. 

On 7/31/2021 at 5:40 AM, downundermike said:

And if he is traded  for he will have no guaranteed money left on his contract, so you can restructure him and move the big hits to 2024 and 2025

His $35mill salary for 2022 is guaranteed in his current deal, you think he's going to accept significantly less than $35million next year for the honor of playing for the Philadelphia Eagles?

tenor.gif

He's going to want a market setting deal,  and Mahomes minimum cap hit in the ten years of his deal when his extension hits is $27.5million (which we can't afford), after that it's $35 - $40million a year.

Kirk Cousins carries a cap hit of $31million this year. Dak Prescott $33million next year

Offer them.... 

2 first in 2022

First in 2023

BUT......

Make them all conditional. 

If he gets suspended for X amount of games,  one of the 2022 firsts becomes a 2nd. Misses the entire year,  both 2022 picks become 2nds. And so on and so on...

14 hours ago, What The F said:

Offer them.... 

2 first in 2022

First in 2023

BUT......

If he gets suspended for X amount of games,  one of the 2022 firsts becomes a 2nd. Misses the entire year,  both 2022 picks become 2nds. And so on and so on...

You can't make picks conditional for picks we don't have. We don't know yet if we'll get a 1st or 2nd rd pick from the Wentz deal which means we only currently have 1 2nd rd pick in 2022. 

16 hours ago, What The F said:

Offer them.... 

2 first in 2022

First in 2023

BUT......

He's facing 10 criminal complaints of sexual assault and 2 of the alleged victims haven't joined the civil suit so they can hardly be accused of looking for a payday. There isn't a GM in the league that could risk a pick on this guy as it stands. Some are saying the League would block any trade proposal now anyway.

I place on record again my belief that the Eagles would be foolish to get involved, it's a bad move with where the roster is and also blockbuster trades nearly always leave the team that ponies up multiple ones looking a complete horses ass down the road.

This whole thing has bad vibes

• Like 4

I believe that the Eagles will consider a deal, but only once there is much more clarity on the situation for them to make a good call.  He is an elite talent and we need a QB.  While he is immediately found guilty and sentenced on Reddit, Twitter, and EMB, the rest of the world still waits on a final resolution.  The team is just gathering facts and waiting to see where it goes.  If the stories are all true, he is done (and probably in jail).  If not, I'd expect Howie to take a shot.

Blah blah Watson blah blah blah court blah blah blah if he's cleared blah blah blah who the F cares