Deshaun Watson (Texans QB) -- TRADED TO CLEVELAND

eaglesfan0075

40 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Blah blah Watson blah blah blah court blah blah blah if he's cleared blah blah blah who the F cares

Apparently a lot of people do care and most don’t want this guy to be an Eagle. In the end this just feels more like the Eagles are clueless in the draft department. Why in the world did they take Hurts in the second round if they truly don’t believe in the player even a little? I mean their own stupid actions probably ruined Wentz, and here they go again wasting another 2nd round pick. How many times have they used 2nd round picks on injured guys, backups, and projects now? It seems like they have no real clue on the value of a 2nd round pick. They’re just compounding bad decisions on top of other bad decisions and hoping desperately it all simply works out. Howie’s biggest weakness is drafting players and his poor choices are why they are in this mess right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Apparently a lot of people do care and most don’t want this guy to be an Eagle. In the end this just feels more like the Eagles are clueless in the draft department. Why in the world did they take Hurts in the second round if they truly don’t believe in the player even a little? I mean their own stupid actions probably ruined Wentz, and here they go again wasting another 2nd round pick. How many times have they used 2nd round picks on injured guys, backups, and projects now? It seems like they have no real clue on the value of a 2nd round pick. They’re just compounding bad decisions on top of other bad decisions and hoping desperately it all simply works out. Howie’s biggest weakness is drafting players and his poor choices are why they are in this mess right now. 

He won't be an eagle this has gotten blown out of proportion. Eagles aren't doing anything until he is cleared and that could be another 2 years. 

You guys are already complaining about something that hasn't even happened. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He won't be an eagle this has gotten blown out of proportion. Eagles aren't doing anything until he is cleared and that could be another 2 years. 

You guys are already complaining about something that hasn't even happened. 

Well what has happened is they did draft Hurts. They have wasted second round picks. They did ruin their franchise quarterback, and they are really bad at both drafting and their whole overall draft philosophy. Let’s not act like trading for this guy is beyond the realm of possibilities for the "quarterback factory.” 

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well what has happened is they did draft Hurts. They have wasted second round picks. They did ruin their franchise quarterback, and they are really bad at both drafting and their whole overall draft philosophy. Let’s not act like trading for this guy is beyond the realm of possibilities for the "quarterback factory.” 

Well it won't happen anytime this year. I'd like to actually get to the real games and see what we have. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well it won't happen anytime this year. I'd like to actually get to the real games and see what we have. 

I really hope they don’t get desperate quarterback chasing and make a bad move here. Restructuring Barnett and Johnson (again) has me concerned that they’re planning something big.

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I really hope they don’t get desperate quarterback chasing and make a bad move here. Restructuring Barnett and Johnson (again) has me concerned that they’re planning something big.

That I agree with, I hope they are not QB chasing as well. If they don't like what they have in Hurts then just build around him that way the next QB is set up with a good supporting cast

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That I agree with, I hope they are not QB chasing as well. If they don't like what they have in Hurts then just build around him that way the next QB is set up with a good supporting cast

If Hurts is really bad despite his work hard attitude I think it puts them in a better spot to draft his replacement. I get it though in some ways that a talent on the level of Watson might not be available again in a long time, but dude has some serious issues and is already bailing out on one team. For the amount they have to give up, plus pay this dude to go with the baggage, I don’t see how this is worth it. Ride it out at least for a season with Hurts. Regardless if they think he’s their man or not it’s a better option IMO. If he’s good, but still isn’t their guy then they could trade him Drew Brees style and collect more assets. They still have plenty of draft capital to move up and select a quarterback if need be. If he’s really bad then he sets them up to draft a quality young guy next year anyway. So much better idea to wait this all out. 

• Like 2

The longer this drags out, the less any team will have to pay to get him. It's probably the only reason Howie answers the calls. At this point, Howie is probably like, "Pick any two: Ertz, JJAW, and Pryor."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I disagree they ruined Wentz, a franchise QB has to have a stronger mentality than Wentz demonstrated in 2020,  Rodgers last year just said 'this is why I'm QB1' and then dictated to the team at year end (and the Packers drafted Bryan Brohm in the second round the year Rodgers became starter too), Wentz went 'woah WTF man, I thought I was your guy, oh no my talent... it's dying'

We can argue about the quality of receiver the Eagles had last year but Wentz accuracy was for crap, it doesn't matter who you have at receiver if the QB can't hit them consistently, Wentz failure to make any progress from the issues noted in his draft scouting report shows his problems are deeper seated than lack of weapons and the team drafting a back up higher than a 6th round camp arm

• Like 1

No on Watson. He is a great young QB but his decision making and judgement off the field makes him too much of a liability at the dollar amount he is getting paid. Roll the dice with Hurts and if he is great that is best case scenario. If he sucks, you are in position to get a spencer rattler in next years draft. 

Parting away with picks for Watson just doesn’t make sense. He are not one player away from being a good team. Build through the draft dammit 

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I disagree they ruined Wentz, a franchise QB has to have a stronger mentality than Wentz demonstrated in 2020,  Rodgers last year just said 'this is why I'm QB1' and then dictated to the team at year end (and the Packers drafted Bryan Brohm in the second round the year Rodgers became starter too), Wentz went 'woah WTF man, I thought I was your guy, oh no my talent... it's dying'

We can argue about the quality of receiver the Eagles had last year but Wentz accuracy was for crap, it doesn't matter who you have at receiver if the QB can't hit them consistently, Wentz failure to make any progress from the issues noted in his draft scouting report shows his problems are deeper seated than lack of weapons and the team drafting a back up higher than a 6th round camp arm

It’s certainly an oversimplification by me to write the Eagles ruined Wentz, and although Rodgers clearly outperformed Carson on the field, his antics as of late are also related to him feeling slighted by the Packers and wanting out. He’s just as weak minded, but he’s also clearly a far better player than Wentz. 

If we could somehow get Watson and he could actually play we go from a 4-5 win team to one that wins the division going away. He's that good. 

42 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

If we could somehow get Watson and he could actually play we go from a 4-5 win team to one that wins the division going away. He's that good. 

Is he though? I mean look I'm a huge Watson fan but is he that good? Because the Texans were one of the worst teams in football last year. 

• Thanks 1

Trading for Watson now would be one of the stupidest moves Howie has ever made, and that says a lot.  With the legal stuff lingering and the cost to acquire him (multiple 1st rd picks), no way in hell I’m touching him at this point.  Talk to me when the legal issues are all resolved.  By then we’ll have a much better evaluation of Hurts … we may not need to puss away so much draft capital for a QB and use those picks to fortify multiple positions.   

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Trading for Watson now would be one of the stupidest moves Howie has ever made

Go look at his last 4 drafts and then re-evaluate that statement.

Honestly think the only scenario where we end up with Watson for this year is if Hurts gets hurt early.

And only with assurances from the league he is allowed to play.

Really don't want him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Is he though? I mean look I'm a huge Watson fan but is he that good? Because the Texans were one of the worst teams in football last year. 

Well you do have to calculate the entire team there. The Ex GM/Coach destroyed that team. He could not draft oline at all. All the rec options were gone last year. Not much of a RB core as well. After Hopkins left, there was no team around Watson. I was not a big Watson guy even when he was drafted, but he has shown and proven me he is a very good NFL QB and can change a team dramatically. 

Now Im not on the band wagon for trading the world for Watson. If the price was low like one 1st rounder and a player or mid pick, sure I would be for it. I would not give up multiple 1sts though just due to his legal issues and honesty... now his track record for forcing his way out now when hes not happy. Would him and Howie really get along? Would Watson walk out the door the first chance he gets? I dont want to pay a big price to risk that. 

As stated above, if the price was low enough, sure I would pull that trigger. Otherwise Im giving Hurts the shot to see what he can do. We are in no rush. Lets be honest, we are not a SB team this year. Waiting till the trade deadline or even next offseason would be our best option for the long term plan and Lurie said they are opting for. 

23 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ignoring all of the off-the field stuff, YES.  He is that good.  For all of the griping and grumbling around here about how Howie jacked up this organization around Carson, Houston is 100x worse with what they did to Watson.  I think he sees it the exact same way that Carson did...."F this, I want out of this organization before my career is destroyed!" 

That said, I wouldn't touch him until his situation is 100% resolved, then very carefully.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Ignoring all of the off-the field stuff, YES.  He is that good.  For all of the griping and grumbling around here about how Howie jacked up this organization around Carson, Houston is 100x worse with what they did to Watson.  I think he sees it the exact same way that Carson did...."F this, I want out of this organization before my career is destroyed!" 

That said, I wouldn't touch him until his situation is 100% resolved, then very carefully.

Yeah I'd agree with this. All I'm saying is that Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs of all time but that hasn't brought multiple titles to GB. A franchise QB is absolutely needed but you have to be careful and you have to give them the team around them. 

On 8/6/2021 at 12:30 PM, Uscg-green said:

He also could find himself in prison. He’s that bad. 

On 8/6/2021 at 1:13 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Don’t really know why people assume he’s suddenly making the Eagles into contenders. He threw for almost 5000 yards last season for the Texans and they won only 4 games. On top of that the draft capital the Eagles need to get him would hinder their chances to secure more talent in the future around him. Bottom line it’s a foolish move to make from all perspectives. The PR hit isn’t worth it for a diva quarterback who wants to bail on his team, who really at this point sounds like kind of a sexual predator. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. All I'm saying is that Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs of all time but that hasn't brought multiple titles to GB. A franchise QB is absolutely needed but you have to be careful and you have to give them the team around them. 

100%.  You just have to wonder if Howie believes that the Eagles are "a QB away" with what he has on the offensive side of the ball.  I am sure that he knows that the Swagmaster doesn't have enough game to get us there.

Look, Watson has a massive hole to climb out of to even be considered.  He is just WAY better than what we have and will be available, but I don't think we ever see it.  

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is the only reason I felt Tom Brady turned out to be the greatest winning QB in NFL History. At no time did Brady have the highest salary in the league. Im not even sure he was ever top 5 in QBs salary. He always took less to help his team build a team to compete. 

In the end the money he did not get in his contracts he made 10 times over off his success by other revenues. Something a lot of these players in the NFL fail to understand. 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Don’t really know why people assume he’s suddenly making the Eagles into contenders. He threw for almost 5000 yards last season for the Texans and they won only 4 games. On top of that the draft capital the Eagles need to get him would hinder their chances to secure more talent in the future around him. Bottom line it’s a foolish move to make from all perspectives. The PR hit isn’t worth it for a diva quarterback who wants to bail on his team, who really at this point sounds like kind of a sexual predator. 

Absolutely and this is my point. Having a franchise QB is great but it isn't enough. To give up a ton of assets that will hinder the rebuild of this team is not a wise move.

8 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

100%.  You just have to wonder if Howie believes that the Eagles are "a QB away" with what he has on the offensive side of the ball.  I am sure that he knows that the Swagmaster doesn't have enough game to get us there.

I think he probably does to be honest. I mean that may be why he's made some of the moves he has? But then if he does think that then he needs to make the trade this year doesn't he? As a lot of those are one year deals. 

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

This is the only reason I felt Tom Brady turned out to be the greatest winning QB in NFL History. At no time did Brady have the highest salary in the league. Im not even sure he was ever top 5 in QBs salary. He always took less to help his team build a team to compete. 

In the end the money he did not get in his contracts he made 10 times over off his success by other revenues. Something a lot of these players in the NFL fail to understand. 

Absolutely! I agree with this. Though I do believe Brady took one big contract which was his first? After that though he did right by the team. 

I think he gets traded before the season. I'd love to get him but not at a high cost because he may just end up getting suspended or put on the exempt list