Sign in to follow this  
DBW

Ertz trade talk

26 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

If no trading partner, keeping Ertz is not the worst scenario.  The team would like to put Goedert as #1 TE.  Could they find some ways for both to play well?  Like Celek before he called it a career. 

I agree with this.  If we don't get a good return, we should keep him.  If he plays well (I think he will), we will get a sweet comp pick.  Having Ertz and Goedart on the field at the same time is not a bad problem to have in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, Grump99 said:

I agree with this.  If we don't get a good return, we should keep him.  If he plays well (I think he will), we will get a sweet comp pick.  Having Ertz and Goedart on the field at the same time is not a bad problem to have in my opinion. 

Agreed. The Eagles are under the cap. They don’t need to cut Ertz nor do they have to take less value in a trade. Teams need to start at comp level draft picks if they want Ertz. 

My guess is Howie gives him the big contract he wants that ruins future cap years

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

My guess is Howie gives him the big contract he wants that ruins future cap years

Next year is already ruined.  Gotta get to work on 2023.

Trade deadline bait for a team that wants an offensive weapon to go into the playoffs.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 3:08 PM, NOTW said:

Trade deadline bait for a team that wants an offensive weapon to go into the playoffs.

That seems the most likely.  Other possible scenario involves moving him during the draft ... perhaps to a team picking toward the end of the 1st (trade Ertz and pick 37 to move back up into bottom of 1st).  A team like Buffalo (who pick 30th) may make sense ... that would give us a return value of about a 3rd rd comp pick for him.  Or Baltimore (27th) - value of about the 88th overall pick in return for Ertz.  

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

That seems the most likely.  Other possible scenario involves moving him during the draft ... perhaps to a team picking toward the end of the 1st (trade Ertz and pick 37 to move back up into bottom of 1st).  A team like Buffalo (who pick 30th) may make sense ... that would give us a return value of about a 3rd rd comp pick for him.  Or Baltimore (27th) - value of about the 88th overall pick in return for Ertz.  

More like Ertz and our 5th round pick for a mid 4.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:10 PM, time2rock said:

At the moment the Eagles have 11 draft picks and around 5million in cap space, the Jackson and Jeffery cuts kick in another 4 million in June, so we have $9million in cap space, signing pick 12 will likely carry a cap number of around $4million based on 2020 contract values plus inflation, increases in rookie minimum and the new 25% rule that stops teams backloading rookie deals. that would leave us with $5million in cap space and even signing the remaining ten picks to no more than rookie minimum would cost $6.6million, but more likely we require at least another 5million to sign draft picks and leave any room for IR during the season.  I assume Barnett gets restructured at some point because his cap number is ridiculous as it stands and he likely wants the security of an extension (although Sweat will need extending at some point and there's not much in the pot next year) I think that means Ertz is gone, just to get money in the bank, but Howie isn't spending that money to sign another 1st rounder.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, Grump99 said:

When the goal is to get another high draft pick it is....

57 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

At the moment the Eagles have 11 draft picks and around 5million in cap space, the Jackson and Jeffery cuts kick in another 4 million in June, so we have $9million in cap space, signing pick 12 will likely carry a cap number of around $4million based on 2020 contract values plus inflation, increases in rookie minimum and the new 25% rule that stops teams backloading rookie deals. that would leave us with $5million in cap space and even signing the remaining ten picks to no more than rookie minimum would cost $6.6million, but more likely we require at least another 5million to sign draft picks and leave any room for IR during the season.  I assume Barnett gets restructured at some point because his cap number is ridiculous as it stands and he likely wants the security of an extension (although Sweat will need extending at some point and there's not much in the pot next year) I think that means Ertz is gone, just to get money in the bank, but Howie isn't spending that money to sign another 1st rounder.

Good point, I hadn't thought if the cap implications when I posted that.