Sign in to follow this  
DBW

Ertz trade talk

If anyone offered a 5, we should have taken it. This draft or next.  If only a 6, we should keep him for now.  5 makes your roster.  6 is often a practice squad caliber player.  

Still no move on Ertz.  His high contract number may dilute the interests of other teams.  If it ends as a outright cut, it would be bad.

Zach Ertz contract is $12mil this year. Eagles would probably have to eat some of that. And why would they get? A starting corner? A linebacker? 2022 draft pick? Maybe the Eagles just play it out until summer or mid season.

If the best offer for Ertz is a 5th round pick... They can keep Ertz, let him walk in Free Agency after next season, and they'll likely get a 4th or 5th comp pick in 2023 anyway.

I'm for waiting it out and see what transpires. 

3 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Zach Ertz contract is $12mil this year. Eagles would probably have to eat some of that. And why would they get? A starting corner? A linebacker? 2022 draft pick? Maybe the Eagles just play it out until summer or mid season.

If they simply cut him they save almost $5 million in cap space but have to eat another $7.7 million in dead money.  

1 hour ago, toolg said:

If the best offer for Ertz is a 5th round pick... They can keep Ertz, let him walk in Free Agency after next season, and they'll likely get a 4th or 5th comp pick in 2023 anyway.

So no one wants him at his current contract for a 5th, so you think he will sign a big enough contract a year later to get us a 4th or we don't sign any free agents of our own? That sounds like an awfully big gamble to take on a guy coming off his worst season and will have to pay him 12 mil to keep for this year instead of saving 4 mil just because we might get a 4th if everything falls perfectly. 

I would rather we just keep him.  I prefer to surround Hurts with as much talent as possible so the coaching staff and front office can ascertain whether or not he is the real deal.

I think this is Dallas Goedert’s contract year as well. Are we gonna be able to extend him? At a reasonable price? I’d put that deal in place before treating/trading Ertz.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:03 PM, Penn7980 said:

Still no move on Ertz.  His high contract number may dilute the interests of other teams.  If it ends as a outright cut, it would be bad.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

9 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

I would rather we just keep him.  I prefer to surround Hurts with as much talent as possible so the coaching staff and front office can ascertain whether or not he is the real deal.

Simple with Ertz. Hold out for a 3rd. He's really good and we are paying for him being hurt/ineffective last year.

a TE may get injured in training camp. Or if Ertz plays well he could be a serious trade target near the deadline.

Yes the cap saving would be nice, but I'm not just giving him away for a 5th or less when he could fetch more or at the very least help Hurts out this year.

Comp pick - maybe, but we will probably be buyers anyway in 2022 once we are free from Wentz's contract.

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

Simple with Ertz. Hold out for a 3rd. He's really good and we are paying for him being hurt/ineffective last year.

They aren't going to get a third... Or at least I'd be really really surprised if they did. He's just not worth that. 

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They aren't going to get a third... Or at least I'd be really really surprised if they did. He's just not worth that. 

I disagree! But he needs to show he's healthy. He's only 30 and was a top 5 TE in the league before last year. 

Look at some of the other players who have gone for 3rds or better over the past few years. Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Mohammed Sanu etc. 

We need to get him healthy and productive, but if we do, he is a prime trade target for a competing team.

I disagree! But he needs to show he's healthy. He's only 30 and was a top 5 TE in the league before last year. 

Look at some of the other players who have gone for 3rds or better over the past few years. Golden Tate, Emmanuel Sanders, Mohammed Sanu etc. 

We need to get him healthy and productive, but if we do, he is a prime trade target for a competing team.

The problem bud is that contract. He's going to get paid a good amount this year but then he's going to need a new deal. That's why teams haven't gone for him I think. A third round pick isn't huge value for a player of that calibre but it is when you consider he needs a new deal. 

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The problem bud is that contract. He's going to get paid a good amount this year but then he's going to need a new deal. That's why teams haven't gone for him I think. A third round pick isn't huge value for a player of that calibre but it is when you consider he needs a new deal. 

I'll give you two examples - Golden Tate and Emmanuel Sanders. Both traded for 3rd round picks or more at the deadline. Both were in contract years and neither were re-signed.

If Ertz is playing well and is healthy we will get a 3rd for him at the deadline - he could really help a contender.

I'll give you two examples - Golden Tate and Emmanuel Sanders. Both traded for 3rd round picks or more at the deadline. Both were in contract years and neither were re-signed.

If Ertz is playing well and is healthy we will get a 3rd for him at the deadline - he could really help a contender.

I don't think they can keep him that long bud. Teams know we are up against the cap. We need to add a CB and we apparently don't have enough cap right now to sign all of our draft picks.