Trevon Moehrig (TCU Safety) -- DRAFTED BY LAS VEGAS #43

QBhunter58

Are we just gonna resign Mills on a 1 year and roll with what we got? or are we going to go out and find a replacement for Jenk (I am not writing of K'Vonn)? Honestly I dont see any safetys worth a first this year (although we know at least one will be taken). Moehrig may have his weaknesses, but overall he is a nice prospect. Lots to work with here...

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a double dip a S in this draft.  Moehrig first followed by either Nasirildeen or Cisco.  All 3 are rangy ballhawk types and TOs are the name of the defensive game going forward.  Might be good to get 2 in one shot then you'd have your pair of Ss who can cover loads of ground and take some heat off your CBs.  Sort of like the way TB shutdown KC in the SB.  Of course you'd still need actual LBs, which we haven't had in a while.  But I do like the idea of 2 rangy Ss who can grow into their roles together and form a formidable partnership in coverage.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

Are we just gonna resign Mills on a 1 year and roll with what we got? or are we going to go out and find a replacement for Jenk (I am not writing of K'Vonn)? Honestly I dont see any safetys worth a first this year (although we know at least one will be taken). Moehrig may have his weaknesses, but overall he is a nice prospect. Lots to work with here...

I'm not sure Mills is back now. Schwartz loved him and now that Schwartz isn't here I'm not sure they'll bring him back. I guess they may as he's got versatility and despite his struggles he is seen as a leader. But I'm not sure that Jenkins role will be so prevalent in this new scheme? They may not feel that they need a LB / S / slot hybrid?

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure Mills is back now. Schwartz loved him and now that Schwartz isn't here I'm not sure they'll bring him back. I guess they may as he's got versatility and despite his struggles he is seen as a leader. But I'm not sure that Jenkins role will be so prevalent in this new scheme? They may not feel that they need a LB / S / slot hybrid?

Good point about Schwartz, Mills was his guy. I have no idea what our new scheme will be, Gannon has never led a defense

On 2/20/2021 at 12:33 AM, Green_Guinness said:

I wouldn't mind a double dip a S in this draft.  Moehrig first followed by either Nasirildeen or Cisco.  All 3 are rangy ballhawk types and TOs are the name of the defensive game going forward.  Might be good to get 2 in one shot then you'd have your pair of Ss who can cover loads of ground and take some heat off your CBs.  Sort of like the way TB shutdown KC in the SB.  Of course you'd still need actual LBs, which we haven't had in a while.  But I do like the idea of 2 rangy Ss who can grow into their roles together and form a formidable partnership in coverage.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2021 at 10:05 PM, Ray75 said:

My favorite Safety in the class...

How high do you see his value being?  The more I watch, the more I like him.  I'm in the take the best offer for 8, 9, 12 or 15 boat if they come across the table and take either Horn or Parsons...from watching him I wouldn't be mad with him at 15 honestly.  I don't think he's there at 37.  He's a game 1, ready to start product IMO.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

How high do you see his value being?  The more I watch, the more I like him.  I'm in the take the best offer for 8, 9, 12 or 15 boat if they come across the table and take either Horn or Parsons...from watching him I wouldn't be mad with him at 15 honestly.  I don't think he's there at 37.  He's a game 1, ready to start product IMO.

If recent history is any indication, a safety like Moehrig will go in that 20-32 range. At this point I can’t see a team using a top 15 pick on him but you never know if a team in that 10 to 20 range completely falls in love with him.

This safety class is pretty good and deep. The value at the position will be in the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th round with the likes of Grant, Holland, Cisco, Sterns, Washington, Johnson, LeCounte etc.

Plus if they do create enough cap space, they could take a flyer on either Hooker and Kazee in FA. Both had season ending injuries but should be ready for the start of the 2021 season and would come relatively cheap (one year prove it deal).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

This safety class is pretty good and deep. The value at the position will be in the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th round with the likes of Grant, Holland, Cisco, Sterns, Washington, Johnson, LeCounte etc.

Plus if they do create enough cap space, they could take a flyer on either Hooker and Kazee in FA. Both had season ending injuries but should be ready for the start of the 2021 season and would come relatively cheap (one year prove it deal).

What about a double move... Cisco or Sterns or one of those guys in say the third round and Hooker in FA. To me that turns the safety position around for us. 

14 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

If recent history is any indication, a safety like Moehrig will go in that 20-32 range. At this point I can’t see a team using a top 15 pick on him but you never know if a team in that 10 to 20 range completely falls in love with him.

I like Grant, Cisco and Paris a lot at varying points of the draft.  The value and strength of the draft overall is in the 2nd/3rd/4th round to me.  IDK that he's a top 15 pick...but essentially 2-100 is going to be a wild ride.  There isn't much gaps in talent till you reach the mid 4th IMO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What about a double move... Cisco or Sterns or one of those guys in say the third round and Hooker in FA. To me that turns the safety position around for us. 

I think Hooker is gonna go for a 1 year prove it style deal, which could work to our favor.   Or we run the risk of him just being a 1 year band aid or him being a waste of the very little room we might have.

1 hour ago, Wentz_Era said:

I think Hooker is gonna go for a 1 year prove it style deal, which could work to our favor.   Or we run the risk of him just being a 1 year band aid or him being a waste of the very little room we might have.

I like that idea. He's not that old is he? 27 or something like that. Give him a one year prove it deal and if it works out give him a decent contract next year. 

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like that idea. He's not that old is he? 27 or something like that. Give him a one year prove it deal and if it works out give him a decent contract next year. 

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure.  I'm just uneasy about it given the injury history with the team and the fact that we have maybe 1 or 2 small contracts that can be handed out this off season unless the cap is a lot higher than anticipated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wentz_Era said:

I like Grant, Cisco and Paris a lot at varying points of the draft.  The value and strength of the draft overall is in the 2nd/3rd/4th round to me.  IDK that he's a top 15 pick...but essentially 2-100 is going to be a wild ride.  There isn't much gaps in talent till you reach the mid 4th IMO.

This is an extremely strange draft class.

No D-linemen worthy of a top 10 pick, only two OT’s with a top 10-12 grade, a bunch of QB’s who’ll always go high because of need, a couple of good but not elite corners you could debate may or may not be worthy of a top 10 pick and 4 very good albeit elite pass catchers.

We pick at 6 and are in prime position to grab a very good/elite offensive weapon.

In any other draft, top D-linemen would push someone like Chase right into our lap but because of the lack of talent at that position, it’ll be 50/50.

Here are my 5 elite players in this class; Lawrence, Chase, Pitts, Sewell and Parsons.

So yes, I would take Pitts over both Smith and Waddle but my No.1 target would be Chase.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 3:19 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We paid him around $4M (give or take ... can't remember the exact number) when we signed him last year to a 1 year deal.  I don't know that we can afford to pay him that much this year due to the cap situation.  I think he walks and signs elsewhere.  

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

We paid him around $4M (give or take ... can't remember the exact number) when we signed him last year to a 1 year deal.  I don't know that we can afford to pay him that much this year due to the cap situation.  I think he walks and signs elsewhere.  

I'm not so sure. He tested FA last year and I don't think there was much of a market for him. Schwartz loved him so the Eagles gave him a pretty good 1 year deal to move position to S. I think he did OK there but only OK. I'm not sure he's going to even get $4M. I think he'll test FA, I'm not sure there will be many takers.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not so sure. He tested FA last year and I don't think there was much of a market for him. Schwartz loved him so the Eagles gave him a pretty good 1 year deal to move position to S. I think he did OK there but only OK. I'm not sure he's going to even get $4M. I think he'll test FA, I'm not sure there will be many takers.

Yeah if he is able to be signed for a minimal deal that would be ideal.  He does have positional versatility.  I wouldn’t want to count on him to be a starter but as a depth piece, why not (as long as the price is right).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yeah if he is able to be signed for a minimal deal that would be ideal.  He does have positional versatility.  I wouldn’t want to count on him to be a starter but as a depth piece, why not (as long as the price is right).

Oh definitely not no. I like his versatility, that makes him an ideal depth guy but not a starter. 

On 2/28/2021 at 3:44 AM, Ray75 said:

late first seems about right. high second at worst. I would love to add him with our second rounder. or Grant from UCF. similar player i think

I would be perfectly fine if we manage to get him...maybe trade back along with it a little

Moehrig and Grant are going to get in that picture starting at 20 and could go anywhere to 40 I think. We know safeties are weird. I have Moehrig ranked higher, but I think I like Richie more. I need to getting better film on Richie. 

On 2/20/2021 at 12:33 AM, Green_Guinness said:

When I look at the true playmakers in this draft, I came to the same conclusion. Double dip at the safety position.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 6:27 AM, Right4thePicking said:

When I look at the true playmakers in this draft, I came to the same conclusion. Double dip at the safety position.

Moehrig/Grant and Gillespie/Hufanga/Jamar Johnson would be a nice combo. Not sure we can afford an early double dip unless we tradeback again, and outside of LB it starts to get dicey after 12.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 6:27 AM, Right4thePicking said:

Or take a CB with 1st and Safety in 2nd or third. Safety is pretty deep.

Safety is deep and I don’t think Moehrig is what Gannon is looking for at Safety. I haven’t seen much of Him but he looks like his strength is man to man coverage and playing in the box. This is a Jim Schwartz type of safety. Not sure how much Gannon will ask his safeties to do this. There are other safeties in day 2 that are better as two deep safeties with ability to tackle as well. 

personally think Jevon Holland might be the best prospect for the Eagles at safety. He can play in any defense and I think he is the most well round safety in this draft.