Official: Eagles release Alshon Jeffery

Hawkeye

Just now, Hawkeye said:

Hard to see. Slay was a below-average cornerback last year and Graham is on the wrong side of 32. Moreover, they have a combined cap hit of almost $34 million dollars. 

Why not clear that out now and continue with the rebuild? It's a lost season and Howie seems focused on getting out from under all these bad deals.  

Come on, Slay was not below average. He was good last year. So he got beat up Metcalf and Adams, but who didn’t?

The other part of it that kept him from even being as good as he should be is Schwartz scheme. No CBs looked good in his defense. Have to believe that Gannon should at least be more DB friendly being that he’s coming over from being a DB coach. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nipples said:

Come on, Slay was not below average. He was good last year. So he got beat up Metcalf and Adams, but who didn’t?

The other part of it that kept him from even being as good as he should be is Schwartz scheme. No CBs looked good in his defense. Have to believe that Gannon should at least be more DB friendly being that he’s coming over from being a DB coach. 

He was ranked the #42 CB in the league in 2020.  He's over 30 and on the books for $12 million next season. The Eagles save $6 million by trading him (he won't be cut).  If this is a total tear down, that contract has to go. 

• Like 1

Missed 18 games over the last 3 years.  Another guy that can't stay healthy.  

Bye Alshon, when healthy you were very good.  We were one football right off your fingertips away from back to back NFC championship game apperances.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few good years left in the NFL, just not here.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

If they trade Slay they save $6 million in cap space but have to eat almost $10 million in dead money.  They can do a post-June designation and save even more but that would push money into '22 which is what they're trying to avoid.

In other words they'd be best to trade him and eat the dead cap. Which is what I think they should do. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Now we need to go after Robinson. 

We can't afford anybody, even if we could the move is to draft Tamorrion Terry.

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In other words they'd be best to trade him and eat the dead cap. Which is what I think they should do. 

So i'm coming in late here but are we debating trading Slay?  I cant imagine Roseman doing that after basically giving Wentz a ton of money and trading him before that contract really kicked in.   If he were to do this, what in gods name would be keeping him employed outside of having mind control over the eagles idiotic owner? 

So know not only cant you draft - which is proven when you look at all drafts he has lead, but know the top free agents you sign and give big money to, you ditch after one year because you feel he's not worth it?  I mean if this is the route they go (and i don't believe they are even thinking about ditching Slay) then what exactly is Roseman doing as a GM that warrents his continued employment??

1. drafts suck - countless missed obvious icks

1a. Picking players that do nothing but undermine other players and already on the team and you just paid a lot of money to

2. Free Agents selections stink.  2017 being the exception, but for the most part you are getting no Impact FA

3. Has a toxic relationship with players (probably because they can tell he's an idiot)

4. Flipping a Coaching staff and a toxic relationship with them 3 years after winning a SB.  

5. Salary Cap is a huge mess.

I guess the better question is what does he actually do that helps the Eagles? 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

He was ranked the #42 CB in the league in 2020.  He's over 30 and on the books for $12 million next season. The Eagles save $6 million by trading him (he won't be cut).  If this is a total tear down, that contract has to go. 

Ranked by who? And please don’t say PFF

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Portyansky said:

No

We rebuild by adding draft picks and cutting older players.  

In the SB year he was everything the EMB clamored for in the last 15 years. The big bodied WR we all wanted for forever. Thanks Alshon for delivering when it mattered most. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nipples said:

Ranked by who? And please don’t say PFF

Spotrac. 

And I'm not advocating getting rid of him for football reasons.  I'm saying the Eagles are taking the roster all the way back to the studs and his is a contract that they can dump.

32 minutes ago, Vman1968 said:

So i'm coming in late here but are we debating trading Slay? 

In summary we're discussing the very difficult roster moves the Eagles are going to have to make to get under the cap and get back to business in '22. 

Thanks for the Super Bowl contribution, after that, well....

Wake me up when Jason Peters is OFFICIALLY off the team. Of all people, he needs to go, as of yesterday.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Wake me up when Jason Peters is OFFICIALLY off the team. Of all people, he needs to go, as of yesterday.

He's a UFA and therefore officially off the team. 

25 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Technically i think March 17th all 2020 contracts expire and than he officially becomes a free agent. I may be wrong on that.

6 minutes ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Technically i think March 17th all 2020 contracts expire and than he officially becomes a free agent. I may be wrong on that.

You're absolutely correct - good catch.  All UFA contracts expire at 4pm on the 17th. That's also when the Wentz trade becomes official. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

I was sure he could've been a good guard. But really, he can't even play there anymore..

8 minutes ago, Infam said:

I was sure he could've been a good guard. But really, he can't even play there anymore..

A legend that barely resembles his previous self. 

6 hours ago, NCTANK said:

D39AE930-CBA4-4642-8373-356E31E03E97.jpeg

I don't know wtf happened but we showed him love after the SB and then even after he missed the catch in the Saints playoff game

I remember the school writing him letters of encouragement and him meeting the kids

Amazing how it went to disaster 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

They have to cut Malik for the same reason they will cut Jeffery ... their restructured deals contain a clause that they will pay them $25M for the 2021 season if they are on the roster for the start of the league year.  That gives them the guarantee they will indeed be cut early so they can look for employment elsewhere (and not drag this out thinking they can trade them).  And the cap savings is a hair off ... it yields $18.8M in immediate savings (with additional savings to be realized after June 1st).  It is all outlined in the link below. 

And you can bet they will cut Goodwin - that yields another $4.23M in cap relief.  Have to believe Ertz is gone too - another $4.7M.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-cap-room-2021-eagles-howie-roseman-alshon-jeffery-malik-jackson-zach-ertz

What I think right now about the cap issues is that there is nobody out there who both 1) a writer of articles or message board commenter and 2) who really knows what is going on with this cap.  

As I understand it, 1) Jeffery and Malik were both restructured.   Base salary for 2021 was changed to something else,  bonus perhaps,  perhaps they moved a 2021 base salary to a 2022 base salary.   then 2)  Spotrac  changed their numbers on their salary cap page.   And when Spotrac changed their numbers,  they made the 2021 cap hit go down.   And now we're at 3)  We're hearing that that restructuring of Jeffery and Malik WILL provide cap relief when they're eventually cut.  But in reality,  the restructuring,  and not the cut,  is what is what has already lowered the cap number,  on Spotrac.   You can't look at Spotrac's current numbers and then subtract all of the savings of Jeffery and Malik.  Because this was a 2 stage process, and that will benefit the Eagles twice.  but it's already benefited the Eagles once.  

Here's the Spotrac link.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/cap/

Here's what the Spotrac page says.  It's guessing a 185M cap, and gives 22M rollover cap, for a cap of 207M.  Then it says that the Eagles have, currently, a top 51 number of 245M,   and are currently 37M over the cap.

37M over, with a 185M cap.  It might be 180M,  if so, it's 42M over.

Now, what is Spotrac saying about Jeffery and Malik?

Well, they say he currently has a cap hit of $6.5 Million.  He has a base salary in 2021 of $1 Million.   And those numbers are used to calculate the current totals.

Spotrac says that,  if Jeffery is cut with a post 6/1 designation,  the amount of dead cap will be $5.5 Million.  And,  when he is cut, the Eagles will subtract an additional $1 Million from the cap.

So,  thinking into the future.   People who read things like "oh, everything is fine with the Eagles cap.  The Eagles WILL GET much cap relief WHEN they cut Jeffery"  are going to think that the Spotrac numbers on that Spotrac page are going to change bigly.  But they're not.  People are going read that the Eagles cut Jeffery, they're going to look at Spotrac, and they're going to wonder why the numbers are only $1 Million less than they thought,  when they thought that Jeffery + Malik = $21 Million savings.    That  savings already happened.  That savings happened with the restructure,  and Spotrac already updated the numbers with the restructure.

Here's the Jeffery page on Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/alshon-jeffery-9855/

Here's Malik

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/malik-jackson-9958/

Malik has a cap hit of $4.6 Million currently for this year.  When they cut him, soon, with a post 6/1 designation,  the Eagles will save $1 Million against the cap.

So,  if the Eagles cut both Jeffery and Malik on the same day,  the Eagles will have a cap savings of $2 MILLION TOTAL.  That's it.  The restructuring of those 2 contracts has already been baked into the Spotrac numbers.  The benefit of those restructures has already lowered the 51 number.  The Eagles only get a total of $2 Million more.

If the number you're working with is 37 Million over or 42 Million over,  and that's what Spotrac says right now,  it looks a lot less like a problem if you think that there is some magical $20 Million or so that's going to come off  when Jeffery and Malik are cut.  That is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  The savings from the restructure (and then cut) is already on the Spotrac page. 

Just trying to figure out what's happening here,  on one pole you have "we're Fed" and the other pole is "everything is fine",   the more you dig, the more you find that you can't find anybody who can convincingly describe what is happening.

The Eagles,  if the cap is actually 185 M,  are 37 Million over the cap.  when Jeffery and Malik are cut,  and they will be,  the Eagles will be 35 Million over the cap.

At this point,  cutting Jeffery and Malik will do very little to help the cap problem,  The restructuring helped.  But that's already factored in.

12 hours ago, Vman1968 said:

So i'm coming in late here but are we debating trading Slay?  I cant imagine Roseman doing that after basically giving Wentz a ton of money and trading him before that contract really kicked in.   If he were to do this, what in gods name would be keeping him employed outside of having mind control over the eagles idiotic owner? 

So know not only cant you draft - which is proven when you look at all drafts he has lead, but know the top free agents you sign and give big money to, you ditch after one year because you feel he's not worth it?  I mean if this is the route they go (and i don't believe they are even thinking about ditching Slay) then what exactly is Roseman doing as a GM that warrents his continued employment??

Trading Slay means we get a lot of his cap off the books. We have to eat about $6M in dead cap but we get him off the books after 2021 and could acquire some draft picks for him? OK it wouldn't be a lot but he's the wrong side of 30 and he isn't going to be on the team when they are competitive again.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:59 PM, Portyansky said:

Why?? Get Chase, Smith, Pitts, Bateman, Moore, Marshall, etc. so many talented young weapons in the draft this year. 

That hot take was a hot turd. 

Surprised that they kept Jeffery last season, knowing that he would miss a good number of games.  This off-season is the time to unload and reload.

Slay came in with some fanfare.  But his performance did not match that.  He might still be better than most of our CBs on roster.  No problem to trade him to clear some cap room and bring back a pick for the coming draft.

More familiar vet players are likely to move on.  NFL is a young man's game and the older players, as much as they are appreciated, can't stay around for long.  The new roster will be VERY different from the SB team. 

22 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

According to Spotrac, Slays dead cap hit is 21.5 mill now or 15.5mill post June 1st, there's no way they can add that amount to dead cap mountain, even if they only cut Jeffery from now they'll be at around $50million in dead cap for next season.

In fact looking at Spotrac makes our cap situation look even worse, the dead cap number on pretty much every tradeable player is horrible, Lane Johnson is somehow a bigger dead cap hit than Wentz (how is that possible?). Barnett and Goodwin are definitely gone because they're the only ones without a dead cap anchor keep them here.

On 2/23/2021 at 3:25 PM, Hawkeye said:

I mean GONE...like G-O-N-E.  Officially GONE!!! :D