Official: Eagles release Alshon Jeffery

Hawkeye

On 2/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, Infam said:

I was sure he could've been a good guard. But really, he can't even play there anymore..

He was great, but he thinks he will be the 1st person to defeat father time. I have news for him; father time has been doing his thing since the beginning of time... and he is still undefeated. Jason is ignoring those little facts, and paying for it, too.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:18 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Trading Slay means we get a lot of his cap off the books. We have to eat about $6M in dead cap but we get him off the books after 2021 and could acquire some draft picks for him? OK it wouldn't be a lot but he's the wrong side of 30 and he isn't going to be on the team when they are competitive again.

I understand your thought process.   That being said, a GM has to have a bit more foresight than one year and needs to plan for things going great or things going south.   I get they were trying to win last year and now 2021 will be a rebuild - but i have a hard time believing Lurie is cool with paying these larger signing bonuses to get players and then pissing it away the next year.   This is my issue with Roseman right now.   There appears to be no strategy at all and he's just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.   Plus their secondary is crap and while not the best CB in the league, he's by far their best.   And the message resonating in the locker room with moves like this and trading of wentz is a complete lack of confidence in the front office IMHO.   That's not good.   

20 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I mean GONE...like G-O-N-E.  Officially GONE!!! :D

Until he's not. Lurie/Roseman have an unhealthy affinity for Jason. He (Jason) has said he wants to chase a ring this season. If he sticks to that he certainly won't be back with the Eagles. If his dream of getting on a team with realistic Super Bowl aspirations evaporate and the Eagles offer him a couple $ mil. just because, we'll see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vman1968 said:

I understand your thought process.   That being said, a GM has to have a bit more foresight than one year and needs to plan for things going great or things going south.   I get they were trying to win last year and now 2021 will be a rebuild - but i have a hard time believing Lurie is cool with paying these larger signing bonuses to get players and then pissing it away the next year.   This is my issue with Roseman right now.   There appears to be no strategy at all and he's just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.   Plus their secondary is crap and while not the best CB in the league, he's by far their best.   And the message resonating in the locker room with moves like this and trading of wentz is a complete lack of confidence in the front office IMHO.   That's not good.   

But either they are in full rebuild or they aren't. And if they are then they need to commit to that. If they don't then it'll hurt them long term to truly start to rebuild this roster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

Until he's not. Lurie/Roseman have an unhealthy affinity for Jason. He (Jason) has said he wants to chase a ring this season. If he sticks to that he certainly won't be back with the Eagles. If his dream of getting on a team with realistic Super Bowl aspirations evaporate and the Eagles offer him a couple $ mil. just because, we'll see.

Stop scaring me like that. :devil:

On 2/25/2021 at 8:43 PM, eglz1 said:

Oh we all know there's a real possibility that Peters could be back!

On 2/25/2021 at 4:13 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But either they are in full rebuild or they aren't. And if they are then they need to commit to that. If they don't then it'll hurt them long term to truly start to rebuild this roster. 

From what we’ve seen so far they’re in tear down mode.  They don’t care about messaging.  Things can turn quickly in the NFL if you have draft picks and cap space.  If Howie plays his cards right he’ll have both in ‘22.

• Like 1

Goodbye, he has never lived up to the hype.  He obviously made a few plays in his time in Philly but overall it wasn't that great of a run.

10 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Goodbye, he has never lived up to the hype.  He obviously made a few plays in his time in Philly but overall it wasn't that great of a run.

I thought for sure we'd have a fairly decent run with he and Wentz together when he was signed but unfortunately that didn't pan out as expected.  But I have no regrets over having signed him ... he was an integral part of that run in 2017 that led to our first Super Bowl championship.  For that I will always be grateful.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I thought for sure we'd have a fairly decent run with he and Wentz together when he was signed but unfortunately that didn't pan out as expected.  But I have no regrets over having signed him ... he was an integral part of that run in 2017 that led to our first Super Bowl championship.  For that I will always be grateful.  

He caught the most important pass in the history of the franchise so..  

That >>> everything else. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, Talonblood said:

I mean GONE...like G-O-N-E.  Officially GONE!!! :D

I wonder if he'd consider a role as coaching assistant/intern or something like that. Just hide his helmet - - permanently.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:48 AM, Hawkeye said:

So Foles, Ertz, and Clements catches in the SB were not as important? 

4 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I wonder if he'd consider a role as coaching assistant/intern or something like that. Just hide his helmet - - permanently.

He said he isn't retiring and he knows it will be with another team. But he refuses to step aside and let a younger, better player play. I'm ok with it- as long as it's not with the Eagles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

What's the hold up

Nothing can happen until the start of the new league year which is March 17th.  That’s when trades, releases, free agency etc. become official.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:45 AM, Hawkeye said:

Nothing can happen until the start of the new league year which is March 17th.  That’s when trades, releases, free agency etc. become official.

I know the start of the new league year is when trades and free agency become official, but can’t teams release players any time?  

On 3/4/2021 at 9:48 AM, Hawkeye said:

It was a great catch, but I’d say Foles and Ertz catches were more important. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

It was a great catch, but I’d say Foles and Ertz catches were more important. 

I would argue that if he doesn't make that catch the Philly Special and Ertz's grab never happen.  That touchdown set the tone for the entire game. 

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I know the start of the new league year is when trades and free agency become official, but can’t teams release players any time?  

Good question - I'm not sure how that rule works.  For example Desean Jackson is no longer listed on the Eagles roster but Jeffrey and Peters are still listed.  

18 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Good question - I'm not sure how that rule works.  For example Desean Jackson is no longer listed on the Eagles roster but Jeffrey and Peters are still listed.  

I don't understand how this works either, because the logical thing would be Jackson's dead cap accelerating into the current league year (ie 2020) and coming out of our cap rollover, but every where is listing Jackson's dead cap being taken in '21.

21 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I honestly don't think Jeffrey will be in the league next year.

I think he will be a sneaky buy low candidate. I could see him going to Green Bay .

21 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I honestly don't think Jeffrey will be in the league next year.

I think you might be right.

I could see him either getting a 1 year minimum type deal and getting cut somewhere in camp or signing with a team midseason but never having much of an impact.  Maybe he returns to Chicago and reunites with Foles.

13 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I think you might be right.

I could see him either getting a 1 year minimum type deal and getting cut somewhere in camp or signing with a team midseason but never having much of an impact.  Maybe he returns to Chicago and reunites with Foles.

Yeah, for some reason I don't see the Bears taking him back

giphy.gif

36 minutes ago, paco said:

Yeah, for some reason I don't see the Bears taking him back

giphy.gif

Well it's the Bears.  They have building ineffective offenses down to a science.