Alex Smith (ex-WFT QB) -- RETIRED

EricAllenPick6

I’ve always liked Alex Smith.  He’s a game manager, a guy that can help the offense run smoothly.  He finds a way to win.

He would be a fantastic backup to Jalen Hurts.  I wouldn’t want to rely on him as a long term starter.

Does anyone realize we have NO CAP to sign these guys. 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Does anyone realize we have NO CAP to sign these guys. 

I think you can get him on the cheap, probably league min or a reasonable salary for a backup.  If he's looking for real money I would pass.

He would make an outstanding backup and a great insurance policy.

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I think you can get him on the cheap, probably league min or a reasonable salary for a backup.  If he's looking for real money I would pass.

He would make an outstanding backup and a great insurance policy.

League min? You are talking about prob one of the top 2 or 3 QBs on the FA market this year playing the most important position in the game. They couldnt even get Josh McCown to sign at league min last year to be on reserve.

Face it, hes not getting league min and hes not coming here. BTW league min for Alex Smith is just over 1 mill. Please look at some of the backups last year at QB and what they are making. Not many at 1 mill or less. He will get min 3 or 4+ mill on a one year prove it deal. I could see him getting more though. 

We are either drafting a mid/late round backup or signing a no name QB. People have to get more realistic with the cap exceptions this year. We are a team in rebuild, our owner fully admitted it during his press conf. Alex Smith will be a Bear more then likely. he will want a chance to start on a team that can pay him some value. 

• Like 1

I like Smith. I like that he came back against all the odds but no thank you. For the league minimum then maybe? But he's going to get more than that and to be honest he probably deserves more than that. 

• Like 1

Id prefer drafting a QB in the 4th or 5th and picking up a cheap older backup to help groom these young QBs. I know Smith IS older,  but he's going to get a decent contract somewhere.  Im looking at guys like Tyrod Taylor, Foles, Fitzpatrick..

• 3 weeks later...

Still on the market as of now. With Ryan Fitzpatrick (38) and Andy Dalton (33) getting 1 year/10 million from WFT and the Bears respectively, I'd imagine Smith (37) will be seeking a similar deal.

A Nate Sudfeld reunion seems like the more economically feasible option 😁

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Still on the market as of now. With Ryan Fitzpatrick (38) and Andy Dalton (33) getting 1 year/10 million from WFT and the Bears respectively, I'd imagine Smith (37) will be seeking a similar deal.

A Nate Sudfeld reunion seems like the more economically feasible option 😁

I'm not sure Smith is quite in the position to demand that kind of money? But yeah I mean he'll probably get a decent deal to be a back up somewhere. 

With the cap situation this year around the NFL I'm surprised Dalton and Fitzpatrick got so much. 

I agree with OP that Smith would be a fantastic addition to the QB room and would be a great mentor to Hurts.  But I also think the same as those stating he'll likely be paid more than we can afford with our current cap situation.  Who knows though ... Howie is still making moves to free up more cap.  Although he is going to need some to sign draft picks and also to lock up Goedert and maybe Mailata and/or Sweat (they would seem to be the most likely of impending 2022 FAs to receive extensions IMO).  

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure Smith is quite in the position to demand that kind of money? But yeah I mean he'll probably get a decent deal to be a back up somewhere. 

With the cap situation this year around the NFL I'm surprised Dalton and Fitzpatrick got so much. 

Yeah but even if he was looking for half of that, would the Eagles invest 5 million on a backup QB with their current cap situation?

I can see the Jaguars bringing him in to mentor Trevor Lawrence, also reuniting him with Urban Meyer who coached him at Utah. The Jags have a lot of cap space. 

Marcus Mariota might also get cut by the Raiders after refusing a pay cut from 10 million to 3 million. Someone will offer a deal in between that and it probably won't be us.

Guys like Sudfeld, Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, etc... are probably more in our price range around the vet minimum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I can see the Jaguars bringing him in to mentor Trevor Lawrence, also reuniting him with Urban Meyer who coached him at Utah. The Jags have a lot of cap space. 

That would make some sense.  

Really, I'd love to see him here, but I know the cap situation is pretty bad right now.  Some creative cap management could get him here.  You think anybody brings him in and give him a chance to start?  Denver?  

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

That would make some sense.  

Really, I'd love to see him here, but I know the cap situation is pretty bad right now.  Some creative cap management could get him here.  You think anybody brings him in and give him a chance to start?  Denver?  

Denver is another good one since Drew Lock hasn't quite developed into what they thought he would be.

Maybe the Eagles do have a shot at landing him though. Apparently things went sour during the end of Smith's tenure with WFT, so he could be looking to stick it to them by staying in the division.

• 5 weeks later...

Just announced his retirement in a very inspirational video.