Derek Stingley Jr. (LSU CB) -- DRAFTED BY HOUSTON #3

philafan4o8

13 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

we have give up big plays all day slay duh 

In any event, we definitely need to address the secondary in the the draft.

I'm a big advocate of using the first 5 picks on defense, the Eagles will never amount to much until the defense gets a makeover, hopefully the DC knows what to do with the makeover if dumbarse does the right thing.

• 5 weeks later...

If Thibodeaux is off the board and Texans take a QB, Eagles almost have to take Hutchinson.

If they don’t and take Stingley, either Karlaftis or Leal or both will be available at No.7.

Can you imagine Eagles landing Hutch, Karlaftis or Leal and Stingley/Hamilton in top 10?!

Roll with Hurts/Minchew, the former showing improvement, and give this defense two studs please!

• Like 1

If...and I truly mean IF his foot gets to 100%, not 99% but 100%, which it may never be again, he's worthy of an early pick. Gotta test that foot out like nobody's business first though.

• Like 1

This CB class is stacked, about 6 CB1 prospects. 

So unless Stingley is completely cleared medically and runs an extraordinary 40 yard dash, I’d rather we address other areas with our highest pick and circle back to CB later in the first round.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

So unless Stingley is completely cleared medically and runs an extraordinary 40 yard dash, I’d rather we address other areas with our highest pick and circle back to CB later in the first round.

Yeah I'd agree with this and I'm sure so will the FO. I mean I'd actually be pretty surprised if Howie uses a first round pick on a CB based on his history but hey we can hope!

Picking at No.5 right now.

If one of the blue chip prospects is there in Hamilton, Stingley etc just take him!

• 4 weeks later...

Slay is having a great year, and I wonder if the team can keep Nelson who has performed adequately as a #2… Maddox signed long term, and then like 4 or 5 other CBs stashed on the roster who are likely being evaluated for their zone play. You think CB is a big need, but I don’t know… I kind of figure Stingley might be BPA in the teens but the injury has taken off some shine.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Stingley has a real chance to fall in the draft. He has had 1 good year, his rookie year. He has also been constantly injured. 

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I think Stingley has a real chance to fall in the draft. He has had 1 good year, his rookie year. He has also been constantly injured. 

That being said would you take him if he drops to our pick in the first? 🤔

7 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

That being said would you take him if he drops to our pick in the first? 🤔

Damn. Yeah, I would. It's a medical risk, but such is life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Damn. Yeah, I would. It's a medical risk, but such is life.

I would definitely take him. He’d be a beast opposite slay.

Doesn't look like he's falling past the Jets at #7 unless there are major red flags

• 1 month later...
  • PHI
    Derek Stingley Jr.
    CB LSU

• PHI
    Ahmad Gardner
    CB Cincinnati

• PHI
    Daxton Hill
    S Michigan

• PHI
    Chad Muma
    LB Wyoming

• PHI
    Nik Bonitto
    EDGE Oklahoma

• PHI
    John Ridgeway
    DT Arkansas

52 minutes ago, Bleed Green said:
  • PHI
    Derek Stingley Jr.
    CB LSU

• PHI
    Ahmad Gardner
    CB Cincinnati

• PHI
    Daxton Hill
    S Michigan

• PHI
    Chad Muma
    LB Wyoming

• PHI
    Nik Bonitto
    EDGE Oklahoma

• PHI
    John Ridgeway
    DT Arkansas

Both Stingley and Gardner ... wow.  I wouldn't be upset with that but also think the chances of taking 2 CBs in round 1 are extremely slim (and to take another DB with the 3rd pick is practically impossible).  I don't see us taking a S in round 1 regardless of what we do with the other 2 picks.  

18 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Both Stingley and Gardner ... wow.  I wouldn't be upset with that but also think the chances of taking 2 CBs in round 1 are extremely slim (and to take another DB with the 3rd pick is practically impossible).  I don't see us taking a S in round 1 regardless of what we do with the other 2 picks.  

I think if Stingley and Gardner are both there, you almost have to take them. They are both top 10 picks in my view. Could be like Lito and Sheldon all over again. I'd be delighted if either was still there at 15.

But yeah in that scenario, you almost have to take the best DE at 19. I like Hill, but he's a reach at 19. 

I had us taking Hill at 32 after a trade down with Detroit in my mock. But no safety other than Hamilton, is worth a top 20 pick in this draft.

28 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think if Stingley and Gardner are both there, you almost have to take them. They are both top 10 picks in my view. Could be like Lito and Sheldon all over again. I'd be delighted if either was still there at 15.

But yeah in that scenario, you almost have to take the best DE at 19. I like Hill, but he's a reach at 19. 

I had us taking Hill at 32 after a trade down with Detroit in my mock. But no safety other than Hamilton, is worth a top 20 pick in this draft.

One difference when comparing to Lito and Sheldon is that the latter was a 2nd rd pick.  And side note ... what a great 1st half of that draft to also get Westbrook and Lewis!  

I think S needs to be a priority and hoping we can grab one of Brisker, Cine, or Pitre in the 2nd.  I also don't think it is completely of the question that Hill is available when pick 51 rolls around.  The last few years we've seen safeties that were projected to go much higher fall to go much later than expected so I feel really good about 1 of those being available at 51 and quite possibly one or more at 83.

18 hours ago, time2rock said:

One difference when comparing to Lito and Sheldon is that the latter was a 2nd rd pick.  And side note ... what a great 1st half of that draft to also get Westbrook and Lewis!  

I think S needs to be a priority and hoping we can grab one of Brisker, Cine, or Pitre in the 2nd.  I also don't think it is completely of the question that Hill is available when pick 51 rolls around.  The last few years we've seen safeties that were projected to go much higher fall to go much later than expected so I feel really good about 1 of those being available at 51 and quite possibly one or more at 83.

In terms of safeties slipping - I remember being surprised during the 2019 draft how many slipped to the late 2nd.  If I remember correctly Adderley and Thornhill were thought to be cusp 1st/2nd round round prospects for much of the process (and aside from DK, I was wondering at the time if we would go in that direction at #57).

image.thumb.png.eec945f58785bf97527711a93ecec74f.png

1 hour ago, Waiting4Someday said:

In terms of safeties slipping - I remember being surprised during the 2019 draft how many slipped to the late 2nd.  If I remember correctly Adderley and Thornhill were thought to be cusp 1st/2nd round round prospects for much of the process (and aside from DK, I was wondering at the time if we would go in that direction at #57).

image.thumb.png.eec945f58785bf97527711a93ecec74f.png

Yep.  And in 2020 Delpit slipped to 44, Winfield Jr to 45, Chinn to 64.  In 2021, Grant to 40, Moehrig to 43, Cisco to 65.  Seems to be a trend lately.  

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 1:38 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm not sure where Hills fits in an NFL D...he seems best at slot CB whenever I watch him.  Very conflicted on him as a player. 

I am starting to warm up to Brisker.

I am not completely sold that Stingley, Gardner, and Hamilton will all be off the board by #15. One of them will fall

35 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I am not completely sold that Stingley, Gardner, and Hamilton will all be off the board by #15. One of them will fall

It’s hilarious and happens every year. There are always 15-20 players that people swear will be off the board in the top 10… 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nipples said:

It’s hilarious and happens every year. There are always 15-20 players that people swear will be off the board in the top 10… 

Agreed! They are always "reaches" as well. Fun to speculate though haha