Sign in to follow this  
Mlodj

The 2020 Corona Thread

Such stupidity everywhere one looks.  Just because the delta variant is highly contagious does not mean that the vaccine isn't effective against it.  Equally, we've now moved the bar to many wanting to force vaccinated people to wear a mask to protect the idiots who refuse to get a vaccine.  Note: There are always going to be exceptional cases on any end of the spectrum so let's stay away from those one off examples.  The bottom line is if you are vaccinated you are fine vs. delta (you may need a booster at some point and if you have some special risk then yes it might be an issue like many other things) and if you are not vaccinated you are very likely to contract covid with all of its associated risks.

Get the vaccination!

Unsurprising. 

7 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Only 7 hospitalizations and zero deaths, the goal can no longer be no infections among the vaccinated, that will never happen, and if that is what the GOV tries for and hopes to achieve by lockdowns and mandates then the my pillow guy will be running the CDC in 4 years thanks to A trumper president but me being MR positivity knows once the vaccine mandates come in some form this will die out. Everything will be fine, try an edible, I hear they will help your outlook

Yeah because a mask mandate in Provincetown, MA is totally the same thing as nationwide lockdowns. Good call.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Unsurprising. 

I had COVID prior to being vaccinated and had a sore arm.

• Haha 1

I'm thinking it is important to hold a very clear line regarding the effectiveness of the vaccines.  Any sort of wider discussion around the potential risks for vaccinated people is surely going to be a net negative overall as that simply fuels the antivaxxer view.  That's based on current data which of course is always subject to change as we learn more.

Note: Individuals with risks should of course take all possible precautions.

3 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

I'm thinking it is important to hold a very clear line regarding the effectiveness of the vaccines.  Any sort of wider discussion around the potential risks for vaccinated people is surely going to be a net negative overall as that simply fuels the antivaxxer view.  That's based on current data which of course is always subject to change as we learn more.

I see that. The problem is the vaccinated tend to be congregated together in the same place, discussing the same issues, talking right past the nonvaccinated as if they don't matter. The nonvaccinated aren't necessarily anti-vax, most are just questioning. They are listening to both the pro- and anti-vaccination crowds, but the vaccinated are discussing the issues right over their heads.

Of course the science will change. We observe, and as we learn more, we adjust.

Get the vaccine. And wear a mask if the virus is circulating in your area.

2 minutes ago, toolg said:

I see that. The problem is the vaccinated tend to be congregated together in the same place, discussing the same issues, talking right past the nonvaccinated as if they don't matter. The nonvaccinated aren't necessarily anti-vax, most are just questioning. They are listening to both the pro- and anti-vaccination crowds, but the vaccinated are discussing the issues right over their heads.

No.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, toolg said:

Yes, I understand there are issues with local pockets and in those places I can understand a local official taking a temporary measure if at the same time saying "get the vaccine now as this mandate will only be in effect for four weeks and that's it" or something like that.  I think the time is now to make a big push to say "the vaccines work, get them" and to not start bringing back and general measures or recommendations as it only waters down the message.  Full court press now with vaccines is the way to go.  Add some Vikas style economic incentive/disincentive to spice it up and give people a kick in the wallet as well.

3 minutes ago, Kz! said:

No.

Vaccines and masks are the best we've got to mitigate the virus. Otherwise your carelessness and unhealthiness is making yourself and others ill.

7 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

I think the time is now to make a big push to say "the vaccines work, get them" and to not start bringing back and general measures or recommendations as it only waters down the message.  

Yes. But the problem is we are not in control. The virus is. If we need to bring back temporary measures to mitigate spread, like facemasks, then that's what we must do. Nonvaccinated are just going to have to catch up. There is plenty of vaccine in the USA to get vaccinated.

1 minute ago, toolg said:

Yes. But the problem is we are not in control. The virus is. If we need to bring back temporary measures to mitigate spread, like facemasks, then that's what we must do. Nonvaccinated are just going to have to catch up. There is plenty of vaccine in the USA to get vaccinated.

Masking to protect the unvaccinated is not the way to go imho. It just encourages them to stay unvaccinated. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DrPhilly said:

Masking to protect the unvaccinated is not the way to go imho. It just encourages them to stay unvaccinated. 

Masking will protect both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. It's easy to do and it's harmless. Let's stop acting like it's some kind of punishment for not vaccinating.

We have Gitmo - nice place for the unvaccinated.

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

Such stupidity everywhere one looks.  Just because the delta variant is highly contagious does not mean that the vaccine isn't effective against it.  Equally, we've now moved the bar to many wanting to force vaccinated people to wear a mask to protect the idiots who refuse to get a vaccine.  Note: There are always going to be exceptional cases on any end of the spectrum so let's stay away from those one off examples.  The bottom line is if you are vaccinated you are fine vs. delta (you may need a booster at some point and if you have some special risk then yes it might be an issue like many other things) and if you are not vaccinated you are very likely to contract covid with all of its associated risks.

Get the vaccination!

If businesses and employers start enforcing people to show their vaccine card, then we can start moving in the right direction.  People wouldn't have a choice but to comply.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kz! said:

Let’s hear it for the experimental vaccines! Big round of applause!

😂

You still don't get it, do you?

17 minutes ago, toolg said:

Masking will protect both the vaccinated and unvaccinated. It's easy to do and it's harmless. Let's stop acting like it's some kind of punishment for not vaccinating.

Vaccinated are already protected. Trust the science.

8 minutes ago, Toastrel said:

I have been there.  Not a fun place to be at when you're in the coast guard back in the early 90's.  Like 2 bars.  Nothing but dudes.  Mostly marines.  And they played Garth Brooks "low places" on a loop like every 30 minutes.  The real fun was getting drunk and jumping in the big arse dryers at the laundromat.  Seriously, that was the source of entertainment.  I was there to help repatriate Haitians out of the windward pass.  That was a lot of fun too.  Head to toe coveralls, gloves and masks in the middle of july pulling refugees out of the ocean or their water crafts.  I was a boot, so I had to do a lot of the grunt work.  Hanging off the side of the boat lifting people up from the jacobs ladder.  I had some of them hand me their infants.  Sad really.  Then I had the pleasure of carrying their food up to them on the helo deck.  Red Beans and Rice, 3 squares.  Nothing like carrying a large pan of red beans and rice and looking over to see two people F-ing amongst 600+ other refugees in the middle of the helo deck in broad daylight.  

Got a humanitarian medal for it.  But Gitmo sucked.  Plus that's where we had to go to do our GQ drills.  Which also sucked.  

I have a drug bust story some of you potheads would appreciate and then probably cry over.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Toastrel said:

Who is going to send us there? Your elderly ass? :lol: 

4 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Vaccinated are already protected. Trust the science.

Yes, vaccination protects against serious illness, which is great! But the vaccinated are still going to spread the virus. As long as it spreads it may mutate, perhaps causing our vaccines to be less effective, requiring us to get even more boosters... Masking helps control the spread. It's safe, it's easy to do, and it's effective. It works if we're all in it together.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, toolg said:

Yes, vaccination protects against serious illness, which is great! But the vaccinated are still going to spread the virus. As long as it spreads it may mutate, perhaps causing our vaccines to be less effective, requiring us to get even more boosters... Masking helps control the spread. It's safe, it's easy to do, and it's effective. It works if we're all in it together.

The only way to stop the spread is for people to get vaccinated. Vaccinated people wearing masks has the side effect of indirectly encouraging the unvaccinated to maintain their position thereby continuing to enable the spread. 

5 minutes ago, toolg said:

It's safe, it's easy to do, and it's effective. It works if we're all in it together.

You’re right. The vaccine is amazing that way. 

31 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

The only way to stop the spread is for people to get vaccinated. Vaccinated people wearing masks has the side effect of indirectly encouraging the unvaccinated to maintain their position thereby continuing to enable the spread. 

Unvaccinated people are braindead morons who are likely to remain unvaccinated in any circumstance, and they are the main reason why everyone needs to go back to wearing masks in the first place. If the options are "wear a mask to limit the spread" or "protect unvaccinated people's feelings," I'll choose the former. I know what you're trying to say here, but I don't think keeping our masks off is going to do one iota of convincing unvaccinated morons to give up their incredibly stupid positions if they haven't already. It will just encourage the evolution of the virus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Unvaccinated people are braindead morons who are likely to remain unvaccinated in any circumstance, and they are the main reason why everyone needs to go back to wearing masks in the first place. If the options are "wear a mask to limit the spread" or "protect unvaccinated people's feelings," I'll choose the former. I know what you're trying to say here, but I don't think keeping our masks off is going to do one jota of convincing unvaccinated morons to give up their incredibly stupid positions if they haven't already. It will just encourage the evolution of the virus.

I’m talking full court press here. Nothing that gives them anything they can point to and then including other more direct incentives. The longer term risk for spread lies with the unvaccinated and not with maskless and protected vaccinated people. 

17 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

I’m talking full court press here. Nothing that gives them anything they can point to and then including other more direct incentives. The longer term risk for spread lies with the unvaccinated and not with maskless and protected vaccinated people. 

These people are completely dug in, and the one thing they fear more than anything is being wrong and admitting fault.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1