Eagles Rookie Puts Everyone on Notice: ‘I Can Carry the Load’

time2rock

Eagles Rookie Puts Everyone on Notice: ‘I Can Carry the Load’

• Updated May 7, 2021 at 12:00am
Kenneth Gainwell

GettyFormer Memphis RB Kenneth Gainwell racked up 2,212 all-purpose yards in college before going to the Philadelphia Eagles in the fifth round.

When Kenneth Gainwell told reporters that he grew up a Philadelphia Eagles fan, everyone knew the electric kid from Memphis was going to be popular. He is All-Pro defensive tackle Fletcher Cox’s cousin after all, but that’s not the reason why he started bleeding green.

No, the 22-year-old Mississippi native used to watch Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb shred defenses as a youngster. They were wearing midnight green jerseys so he wanted to wear one, too. Now Gainwell will be doing just that every Sunday while calling Cox his new teammate in the NFL.

The Eagles drafted the speedy running back — 4.44 in the 40-yard dash — in the fifth round (150th overall) in this year’s draft. He’ll sit behind Miles Sanders on the depth chart, although he’s ready to "carry the load” if called upon.

"I feel like I can carry the load with being a guy that can carry a heavy load. It’s all from the heart,” Gainwell told reporters on draft day. "It’s time to put in the work. Getting drafted first, getting drafted at the fifth, it don’t really matter about all that. I am ready to ball for the Eagles.”

Gainwell was a dual-threat at Memphis where he tallied 2,212 career all-purpose yards: 1,550 rushing yards (14 touchdowns), 662 receiving yards (three scores). He opted out of the 2020 college football season due to COVID-19 concerns.

"The next week after I opted out I started training and I’ve been working out ever since,” Gainwell said. "It’s been basically six months for me working out straight, non-stop.”

No Straight Comparison, ‘Rare Breed’

Gainwell has experience playing a bunch of different skill positions, too. He was a three-year starter at quarterback for Yazoo County High School in Mississippi. He spent time at wide receiver and returned kicks while accounting for 8,412 total yards and 108 career touchdowns, doubly impressive when you consider his smallish frame. Now measuring 5-foot-8 and weighing 201 pounds, the diminutive running back revealed that he loved Darren Sproles as a youngster.

"Growing up, I mean, I used to love Darren Sproles. My favorite, favorite running back,” Gainwell said. "He kind of put the inspiration on me. Short guys, fast guys, that’s what they use. So, I mean, that kind of motivated me.”

But the Eagles rookie stopped short of comparing himself to Sproles, or any other NFL running back for that matter.  "Not at all. I’m a rare breed,” Gainwell said. "I’m a different one.”

ESPN Guru Names ‘Biggest Steal’ of NFL Draft

For once, it appears as if Eagles general manager Howie Roseman may have outsmarted everyone in the room. ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. couldn’t stop gushing about Gainwell going to the Eagles in the fifth round. He called it one of the "biggest steals” in the draft, adding that "all Kenny Gainwell did was score touchdowns” in college.

"I love going running back in Round 5. Kenny Gainwell, running back out of Memphis who in 2019 all Kenny Gainwell did was score touchdowns,” Kiper said. "Catching the football out of the backfield, game-breaking runner, outstanding football player. They get him in Round 5, he should have been taken in Round 3. That’s a heck of a pick for the Philadelphia Eagles.”

I agree with Kenny. He's quite good. If Miles should miss any time, I feel good about Gainwell filling in.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I agree with Kenny. He's quite good. If Miles should miss any time, I feel good about Gainwell filling in.

And let's be honest... I think there's a good chance, unfortunately, that Sanders will miss some time. 

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And let's be honest... I think there's a good chance, unfortunately, that Sanders will miss some time. 

Yes. It's the most injured position in pro football.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Yes. It's the most injured position in pro football.

Yeah and you can see why. Unfortunately Sanders does seem to spend time on the sidelines so Gainwell may need to step up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah and you can see why. Unfortunately Sanders does seem to spend time on the sidelines so Gainwell may need to step up. 

I think Gainwell will better replace what Sanders can do than Scott is capable of.  I like Scott just not as a primary ball carrier.  He is more a change of pace back IMO.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I think Gainwell will better replace what Sanders can do than Scott is capable of.  I like Scott just not as a primary ball carrier.  He is more a change of pace back IMO.  

Scott is a decent change up back. I like him as an RB #3 but he's definitely not an RB #2.

• Like 2

Miles will get dinged up.  Then the KG show will begin.  At the very least, when they are both healthy, they should alternate series like some teams do with their backs.  Should be very effective and fun to watch too.  And I think we have a coach now who will run the ball too.

11 hours ago, Miami said:

Miles will get dinged up.  Then the KG show will begin.  At the very least, when they are both healthy, they should alternate series like some teams do with their backs.  Should be very effective and fun to watch too.  And I think we have a coach now who will run the ball too.

I'm not a fan of alternating series to be honest. If a RB gets hot then you leave them in. Part of the frustration over the last few years has been the constant rotation even when a RB gets in a groove. 

• Like 4

That probably was not the best title or phrase he should have said. Pretty disgusting actually LOL. I'm sure someone's out there about to make a meme about him carrying a load

Nobody will be "carrying the load"........they will have a RB by committee with a lot of talent....running, receiving, and running with power......mismatch problems, breakaway speed.....

I'd like to see Sanders, Gainwell, Johnson and Jordan Howard.  See if they can trade Scott for anything....

• Like 1

Just now, birdman#12 said:

I'd like to see Sanders, Gainwell, Johnson and Jordan Howard.  See if they can trade Scott for anything....

That's actually an interesting one... I've not seen many go with that combination because I guess most think that Howard and Johnson are competing for one spot between them. 

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's actually an interesting one... I've not seen many go with that combination because I guess most think that Howard and Johnson are competing for one spot between them. 

That's true, but I'm a Jordan Howard fan.....the guy is a power runner.....falls forward.....great for short yardage, goal line and burning a 4th quarter clock.

Just now, birdman#12 said:

That's true, but I'm a Jordan Howard fan.....the guy is a power runner.....falls forward.....great for short yardage, goal line and burning a 4th quarter clock.

He definitely has a certain role that he can fill yes. Look 2019 Howard? I'm on board. After a year where he's not had a lot of carries let's see what he brings. 

On 5/8/2021 at 10:14 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Scott is a decent change up back. I like him as an RB #3 but he's definitely not an RB #2.

Just start him against the Giants.