Steven Nelson (Steelers CB) -- SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

ManchesterEagle

Now that @pgcd3 has lowered his price by describing him as no better than average, now is the time to strike. 3 years 24 million. 6 million signing bonus, 1 million salary this year means only a 3 million cap hit. (Basically make it a 2 year 12 million deal with a 3rd year that's not going to happen unless he balls out).

He's way better than what we have and potentially has 3-4 years ahead of him. 

He also owns Wentz - what's not to like?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Now that @pgcd3 has lowered his price by describing him as no better than average, now is the time to strike. 3 years 24 million. 6 million signing bonus, 1 million salary this year means only a 3 million cap hit. (Basically make it a 2 year 12 million deal with a 3rd year that's not going to happen unless he balls out).

He's way better than what we have and potentially has 3-4 years ahead of him. 

He also owns Wentz - what's not to like?

I suspect he might be looking for close to 10 mil a year contract..but settle for what the market offers. It is supply and demand. Right now he is the top CB on the market. I heard 14 teams contacted him..So He is not going to be cheap. I hope we do get him.

• Like 1

If we can get him for the right price then I'm all for it. A 2 or 3 year deal would be ideal as at least we have him in the building for more than a year. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

I suspect he might be looking for close to 10 mil a year contract..but settle for what the market offers. It is supply and demand. Right now he is the top CB on the market. I heard 14 teams contacted him..So He is not going to be cheap. I hope we do get him.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If we can get him for the right price then I'm all for it. A 2 or 3 year deal would be ideal as at least we have him in the building for more than a year. 

No idea what his market is - 10 mil a year feels a bit rich, but if we can get him in the 8 million a year range and defer the cap hit somewhat it makes all the sense in the world.

Would love a 2-3 year contract. Hopefully we finally proper address corner in the 2022 draft, but if we do, it would be good if we could give those guys a year to grow, rather than have to throw them in straight away. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

No idea what his market is - 10 mil a year feels a bit rich, but if we can get him in the 8 million a year range and defer the cap hit somewhat it makes all the sense in the world.

Would love a 2-3 year contract. Hopefully we finally proper address corner in the 2022 draft, but if we do, it would be good if we could give those guys a year to grow, rather than have to throw them in straight away. 

I think 10 mil a year is definitely too rich. At this point unless a team lose a key corner I don't think he's going to get that. I think if he got 8 mil a year that would be really good for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think 10 mil a year is definitely too rich. At this point unless a team lose a key corner I don't think he's going to get that. I think if he got 8 mil a year that would be really good for him. 

The Steelers didn't want him at 9.  But of course Adoree got more than what the Titans didn't want him for so you never know.

19 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

The Steelers didn't want him at 9.  But of course Adoree got more than what the Titans didn't want him for so you never know.

The Steelers couldn't afford him at 9 and they have more cap space than we do.

4 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The Steelers couldn't afford him at 9 and they have more cap space than we do.

We will see an additional $4M added to the cap in a couple weeks (from having used the post June 1 designations when releasing Jeffery and MJackson).  And if we cut Ertz (or bite the bullet and lower our asking price and trade him for whatever we can get) after June 1 that adds another $8.5M to the cap.  So we should have enough to sign him if we want.  His best bet to get paid what he is seeking is to sign a 1 year deal somewhere, hope to stay healthy and continue to play well, and sign a more friendly deal next year when the cap bounces back.  No better situation than Philly where there really is no one to beat him out of that 2nd starting spot opposite Slay. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

We will see an additional $4M added to the cap in a couple weeks (from having used the post June 1 designations when releasing Jeffery and MJackson).  And if we cut Ertz (or bite the bullet and lower our asking price and trade him for whatever we can get) after June 1 that adds another $8.5M to the cap.  So we should have enough to sign him if we want.  His best bet to get paid what he is seeking is to sign a 1 year deal somewhere, hope to stay healthy and continue to play well, and sign a more friendly deal next year when the cap bounces back.  No better situation than Philly where there really is no one to beat him out of that 2nd starting spot opposite Slay. 

I'm feeling more and more like this will be the move. Think they will trade Ertz for a 5th after June 1 and then sign Nelson. I'm hoping for a 3 year (2 in reality) contract, but a one year deal may work out for both sides. Say 1 year 8 million?

Great situation for Nelson with our line and Slay on the other side. And it also gives Gannon a chance to show what he can do. Win all round.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm feeling more and more like this will be the move. Think they will trade Ertz for a 5th after June 1 and then sign Nelson. I'm hoping for a 3 year (2 in reality) contract, but a one year deal may work out for both sides. Say 1 year 8 million?

Great situation for Nelson with our line and Slay on the other side. And it also gives Gannon a chance to show what he can do. Win all round.

That would be ideal.  Fingers crossed.  

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Totally agree. Seems like all sides waiting until after June 1.

9 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I hope you're right as I think that would be a really good outcome for this team. I'd actually almost go say 2 years $15-16 million? Tie him up for a couple of years (with the option that it is just a 1 year deal) and take some pressure off of being desperate next year.

• Like 1

Does Howie really believe the players we have in the Secondary are good enough to start the season? 

6 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Does Howie really believe the players we have in the Secondary are good enough to start the season? 

We'll find out next week.  The team clears cap space on June 1st. Some, myself included, think Nelson is in the cards then

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

If Howie does then he's every bit the fool most of us think he is. 

If we get Steven Nelson then our defense could be sneaky good.

Slay, Nelson, Harris, Mcleod with a bunch of slot guys is a good secondary.

Defensive line was 3rd in sacks last year and good against the run. We only added to that group.

I think Wilson is a good add at Linebacker and we have some young guys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MillerTime said:

Its funny because I agree with this whereas if we don't add Nelson I think we are going to be really bad on defense. And if isn't even like Nelson is a particularly special player. I mean he's good but he's not really a top player. 

On 5/29/2021 at 12:10 AM, MillerTime said:

Defensive line was 3rd in sacks last year and good against the run. We only added to that group.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:14 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Its funny because I agree with this whereas if we don't add Nelson I think we are going to be really bad on defense. And if isn't even like Nelson is a particularly special player. I mean he's good but he's not really a top player. 

Yeah Nelson would make a big difference. There's debate about how good he is, but his realistic floor is an above average starting outside corner back. Currently we have a bunch of below replacement level CBs. So he's a huge upgrade at a key position.

As for the Eagles D - absolutely - with Nelson it has the potential to be a very good unit. I guess the main concern is that we have a lot of players up there in age, or who have suffered through recent injuries. Slay and Cox for example are both elite, but haven't really played to their full potential over the past couple of year. Can they get back to their best? 

McLeod is good but coming off another major injury. Harris struggled a bit last year, but was really good before that. 

There is little in the way of young talent, but if we can get some contributions from Williams, Taylor, Wallace and Macpherson then that will help a lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah Nelson would make a big difference. There's debate about how good he is, but his realistic floor is an above average starting outside corner back. Currently we have a bunch of below replacement level CBs. So he's a huge upgrade at a key position.

Yeah I mean I don't think any of us are going to try and argue that he's a really really good CB. I think he's a good CB #2 and with Slay would give us a nice duo. That mixed in with an improved LB corps and a top of the league potential DL and I would very much like our D.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 3:58 AM, pgcd3 said:

Totally agree. Seems like all sides waiting until after June 1.

On 5/27/2021 at 9:23 PM, jsdarkstar said:

On 5/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hope you're right as I think that would be a really good outcome for this team. I'd actually almost go say 2 years $15-16 million? Tie him up for a couple of years (with the option that it is just a 1 year deal) and take some pressure off of being desperate next year.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:10 AM, MillerTime said:

I would love to get Nelson for 2 years 15 million with a 1 year option. But I think he has a market and I think it will take more.

I was thinking 4 years 40 million. Gives him the ego boost of 10 million a year.

Contract only has 18 million guaranteed though including a 10 million signing bonus

Year 1 - 1 million salary - 2.5 bonus - 3.5 total hit - Eagles can absorb that nice and easily with a restructure or two.

Year 2 - 7 million salary - 2.5 bonus - 9.5 total hit - we have more room next year with Wentz coming off books and it means we don't have to throw our rookies right into the action and can let them learn and develop like Lito and Sheldon.

End of year 2 - Out - just the bonus hits in the last two years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I was thinking 4 years 40 million. Gives him the ego boost of 10 million a year.

You know what... I'd probably do that. Perhaps the first year will be a little less or they'd spread the signing bonus or something but to get a good solid player locked down for at least 2-3 years seems sensible. 

• Like 2

I would never give Nelson 10 mill a year. 

For one he was decent but not that great. he also played for a aggressive blitzing defensive scheme which in most cases makes DBs look better because the QBs are forced to get the ball out quick, made bad decisions and inaccurate throws. 

There is a reason the Steelers cut him taking a 6.17 mill dead cap number. Also a reason he is not signed yet anywhere. Hes not worth the money hes asking. He wants to take a low ball deal of 3-4 mill for a year to prove himself sure. hes already making 6.17 mill from the Steelers this year. 

13 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

For one he was decent but not that great. he also played for a aggressive blitzing defensive scheme which in most cases makes DBs look better because the QBs are forced to get the ball out quick, made bad decisions and inaccurate throws.

I know we didn't have a heavy blitz defense but our defense was built on pressure. And we did have one of the top DLs in the NFL.