Steven Nelson (Steelers CB) -- SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

ManchesterEagle

14 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I would never give Nelson 10 mill a year. 

For one he was decent but not that great. he also played for a aggressive blitzing defensive scheme which in most cases makes DBs look better because the QBs are forced to get the ball out quick, made bad decisions and inaccurate throws. 

There is a reason the Steelers cut him taking a 6.17 mill dead cap number. Also a reason he is not signed yet anywhere. Hes not worth the money hes asking. He wants to take a low ball deal of 3-4 mill for a year to prove himself sure. hes already making 6.17 mill from the Steelers this year. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know we didn't have a heavy blitz defense but our defense was built on pressure. And we did have one of the top DLs in the NFL. 

Yeah a heavy blitzing scheme can leave corners exposed just as easily as it can make them look good. D-Line pressure alone means you get pressure and help at times.

My sense is Nelson has a market. He’s probably over valuing himself no doubt, but I’d be really surprised if he ended up with 4 million or less. Look at what Trae Waynes got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

My sense is Nelson has a market. He’s probably over valuing himself no doubt, but I’d be really surprised if he ended up with 4 million or less. Look at what Trae Waynes got.

I suspect he knows there's a market and I also suspect he is waiting on a team to become desperate. Injuries during TC can change things and teams may then overpay for an experienced player like Nelson. 

We currently have $3.6M in cap space after having signed 8/9 draft picks (Dickerson remains the lone unsigned pick).  Until something happens with Ertz or they make another move (e.g. sign Barnett to an extension to reduce his $10M cap hit, extend Cox who carries a whopping $23.9M cap hit in 2021, etc.), it is virtually impossible to sign Nelson.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

We currently have $3.6M in cap space after having signed 8/9 draft picks (Dickerson remains the lone unsigned pick).  Until something happens with Ertz or they make another move (e.g. sign Barnett to an extension to reduce his $10M cap hit, extend Cox who carries a whopping $23.9M cap hit in 2021, etc.), it is virtually impossible to sign Nelson.  

This is why Nelson isn't signed anywhere, he's a big chunk of available cap for most teams, the only team that really needs help at corner that definitely has cap available to pay him 8-10mill is probably the Jets, maybe the 49ers.

I don't think Cox gets an extension, he's contracted this year and next but he'll be 33 and have almost 175 games by the end of 2022 season, which is pretty much a career in DT terms (the average HoF DT has 175 starts), you could maybe extend him a year but any more would be another dumb contract.

Just now, Cochis_Calhoun said:

This is why Nelson isn't signed anywhere, he's a big chunk of available cap for most teams, the only team that really needs help at corner that definitely has cap available to pay him 8-10mill is probably the Jets, maybe the 49ers.

I don't think Cox gets an extension, he's contracted this year and next but he'll be 33 and have almost 175 games by the end of 2022 season, which is pretty much a career in DT terms (the average HoF DT has 175 starts), you could maybe extend him a year but any more would be another dumb contract.

I wasn't suggesting they extend Cox (I completely agree with your assessment ... he's on the wrong side of 30 and has a lot of mileage on his body).  If there is one lesson I hope Howie learned in recent years is that you should move on from an aging veteran player a year too early (and avoid foolishly eating a large chunk of cap) rather than a year too late.  But I don't have much faith in Howie learning lessons and do think this is a move he will likely consider to free up cap.  I hope he proves me wrong ... we have Hargrave who isn't nearly the player Cox is and only 2 years younger already locked in with a cap number that balloons to $17.8M next year and just spent 2 draft picks to fortify the position.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I wasn't suggesting they extend Cox (I completely agree with your assessment ... he's on the wrong side of 30 and has a lot of mileage on his body).  If there is one lesson I hope Howie learned in recent years is that you should move on from an aging veteran player a year too early (and avoid foolishly eating a large chunk of cap) rather than a year too late.  But I don't have much faith in Howie learning lessons and do think this is a move he will likely consider to free up cap.  I hope he proves me wrong ... we have Hargrave who isn't nearly the player Cox is and only 2 years younger already locked in with a cap number that balloons to $17.8M next year and just spent 2 draft picks to fortify the position.  

You know if you look at Hargrave's stats last year, over 16 games rather than 11 assuming he performed consistently he would have been pretty much level (if not ahead) with most of Cox's numbers.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You know if you look at Hargrave's stats last year, over 16 games rather than 11 assuming he performed consistently he would have been pretty much level (if not ahead) with most of Cox's numbers.

I think actually there's not enough said about Cox's decline the last couple of years. He's still a very good player but he's nowhere near the player he was.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 8:25 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Hargrave also started off a bit slow and became more productive later in the season. It could have had a lot to do with the early injury, but also could have been partially getting into a comfort zone here. Cox garners more attention from opposing teams, though. His counterpart should always be productive. 

33 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Cmon howie!

I still can't see this guy ending up in Philly. I think he's edging for a bigger move. 1 injury in TC and he's likely to get a very good offer. I think that's what he's banking on. 

On 6/11/2021 at 12:47 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think actually there's not enough said about Cox's decline the last couple of years. He's still a very good player but he's nowhere near the player he was.

Some of Cox's decline has to be attributed to not having enough talent around him.  When the other team can constantly attack your premium player knowing the others can't beat their man, it makes a big difference.  Even with his age, he has a few good years left in the tank.  

30 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Some of Cox's decline has to be attributed to not having enough talent around him.  When the other team can constantly attack your premium player knowing the others can't beat their man, it makes a big difference.  Even with his age, he has a few good years left in the tank.  

I don't entirely agree though. Graham is a very good player. He's had Jackson and Hargrave alongside him. This DL has been successful the last few years. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

His stats were better last year then the year before. So not necessarily declining but, not as elite as 2017

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

His stats were better last year then the year before. So not necessarily declining but, not as elite as 2017

Yeah I don't mean year on year he's getting worse. But he's not the player that he was. Still a very good player, top 5 at his position I think. But going to cost a lot. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't entirely agree though. Graham is a very good player. He's had Jackson and Hargrave alongside him. This DL has been successful the last few years. 

Meh.  Neither of those guys played up to the level to take pressure off of Cox and the scheme put Graham so far outside that he was little help either.  Hargrave started to show at the end of the season after a slow start, but that's a little too late....and Cox still was only .5 sacks behind both of them combined, while getting doubled constantly.  Fletch is still a Top 5 DLineman (which he always has been).  If the scheme is better now, his numbers will improve.  He still has a few years left.

Getting back on track.  Just say no to an overpriced Steven Nelson.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Fletch is still a Top 5 DLineman (which he always has been).  If the scheme is better now, his numbers will improve.  He still has a few years left.

I don't disagree that he's a top 5 DT, not overall DL though. And I think at his age he's going to be too expensive ultimately to keep around. 

Saw a video on YT (Joeyshakes) and it quoted a Philly writer saying that the Eagles only want Nelson for 3mil/year so basically that's not going to happen if true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Saw a video on YT (Joeyshakes) and it quoted a Philly writer saying that the Eagles only want Nelson for 3mil/year so basically that's not going to happen if true.

Yeah if that's true then they are in dream land. I mean he's definitely worth more than that. I just think it's crazy that they are thinking of going in to this year with these outside CBs. That's madness. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Here's a link to that.  The writer was Caplan, and he was stating we don't want to pay over $3M for 1 year.  Crazy considering we paid Mills $4M on a 1 year deal last offseason.  

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/22/philadelphia-eagles-steven-nelson-free-agent-suitors/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Here's a link to that.  The writer was Caplan, and he was stating we don't want to pay over $3M for 1 year.  Crazy considering we paid Mills $4M on a 1 year deal last offseason.  

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/22/philadelphia-eagles-steven-nelson-free-agent-suitors/

Yeah I just saw you posted that in 411. Thanks for putting articles in there man. It's much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah if that's true then they are in dream land. I mean he's definitely worth more than that. I just think it's crazy that they are thinking of going in to this year with these outside CBs. That's madness. 

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't trust Caplan and hope he's wrong. Our current depth chart doesn't look pretty:

CB1 Slay

CB2 Time2rock

Nickel - Maddox

CB4 Jacquet

CB5 Macpherson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I don't trust Caplan and hope he's wrong. Our current depth chart doesn't look pretty:

CB1 Slay

CB2 Time2rock

Nickel - Maddox

CB4 Jacquet

CB5 Macpherson.

At least I’m ahead of Jacquet!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

CB1 Slay

CB2 Time2rock

Nickel - Maddox

CB4 Jacquet

CB5 Macpherson.

Oi!

56 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oi!

What's up QB3?

• Like 1