**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

y'all can 😭 about simmons.

i'm gonna do what morey and doc are doing right now and.. we won :towel:, add that to the column.  and also FTC!

Just now, BirdsFanBill said:

Embiid is just unstoppable right now 

MVP Race so far 

Embiid 

Joker 

KD

Luka

Just now, bbabraham said:

Credit where it is due. Ben came alive in the 4th Q.

He needs to play more aggressive more consistently. Even if he’s not shooting jumpers if he is attacking the basket and aggressive he doesn’t need to be shooting jumpers to effect the game. It’s maddening cause when he’s aggressive he’s great. But he doesn’t do it enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

He needs to play more aggressive more consistently. Even if he’s not shooting jumpers if he is attacking the basket and aggressive he doesn’t need to be shooting jumpers to effect the game. It’s maddening cause when he’s aggressive he’s great. But he doesn’t do it enough. 

Broken record with this every single year at least 5-10 times a season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

It is so hard to watch the Suns. Bridges is so long and already adding an off the dribble pull up. 

well, in a few more years Zhaire should be looking like a Kawhi clone. So, it was worth it. 

Glad they won but not having Tatum just isn't the same.  Looking forward to the Lakers game in a week as a real good test. 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

well, in a few more years Zhaire should be looking like a Kawhi clone. So, it was worth it. 

Easily the dumbest trade over the last few years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

simmons was never a prolific scorer coming out of high school and college.  it would be a tall task for him to turn into one.  simmons affects the game in other ways.  his vision, size, ability to come alive to close out games (like he did tonight)...  and of course that defense which will shut someone down.

people wanted to compare simmons to james as they both started their nba careers not really good offensively...  but james always had a scorer mentality.  if you watch james in high school, yeah...  different game and playstyle.

what i'm saying is, i'm not angry with simmons if he has games where he only scores 8 or 10.  i know what simmons is and how he changes a game for other teams.  teams play different when simmons isn't on the floor.  usually to the tune of whoever he was guarding starts dropping buckets.  what makes me angry at him is if he's committing turnovers.

4 minutes ago, bbabraham said:

Credit where it is due. Ben came alive in the 4th Q.

on the scoreboard, yes..  but ben was in the game the whole time.  getting assists, being a pest, cutting off passing lanes, getting steals...  ben (to me) doesn't need to be a 20pt. avg. guy.  love for him to turn into one, but he's doing things on the court that puts him in the category of the league's best players (don't kid yourselves, he is).  i see why doc isn't concerned.  i see why morey isn't concerned.  also saw ben chuck a three on a deadball situation.  laughed, it was bad...  but hey, he chucked a three.

25 minutes ago, ggs5008 said:

Glad they won but not having Tatum just isn't the same.  Looking forward to the Lakers game in a week as a real good test. 

yeah, looking forward to this game too (who isn't?).  usually we win the center battle with teams, especially with joel and dwight -- teams usually aren't built to take on two bigs like that.  but lakers have AD, gasol...  both can pair well against joel OR dwight.  then they have harrell..  can tobi match up?  he's giving up size against him.  do i even need to mention lebron?  hope simmons can hold him in check.

game will probably come down to guys like curry, green, milton, furk, and maxey.  those guys cannot have an off night.

By Ben not scoring more than 12ppg you are now needing Joel to score 35ppg+ every game and needing the reserves to fill in the rest every night. That isn't sustainable in the playoffs, just isn't. 

The Sixers are only 9th best in scoring at 113ppg per game. All 8 teams above are playoff teams. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

By Ben not scoring more than 12ppg you are now needing Joel to score 35ppg+ every game and needing the reserves to fill in the rest every night. That isn't sustainable in the playoffs, just isn't. 

The Sixers are only 9th best in scoring at 113ppg per game. All 8 teams above are playoff teams. 

here's the thing..  how are the sixers rated defensively?  there's two aspects to a game.  not many teams are gonna run into a top 10 in scoring (as you pointed out) and what i'm thinking could be a top 5 in defense.  if the games were just play offense and no defense..  yeah, might not be sustainable.  but i think the sixers play defense.  i dunno though, i may have to check that out to make sure.

10 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

13th in points allowed 

I feel like their defense should be better than where they sit. Granted they had Covid hit them and embiid miss two games just sitting out. However tonight is a classic example of where they just kept Ben Simmons on Walker way too long. When Jaylen brown starts crushing it on Danny Green then you have to switch and put Ben Simmons on him. They did that when they went on that run in the fourth quarter they move Ben Simmons onto Brown and took Danny green off the court all together. I get they don’t want Walker to go off but when brown is as hot as he was you have to do it. 

3 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

13th in points allowed 

hmmm...  i keep seeing this:

Philadelphia 76ers: Breaking down the Sixers' top-ranked defense (thesixersense.com)

and i'm also seeing this where the defensive rating is 5th (sort by def rtg [i think rtg is rating, maybe?])..

NBA Defense Team Rankings - 2021 Defensive Rankings (lineups.com)

that link above lists the sixers 13th in pts allowed too..  and new york is number 1... maybe we'll see new york in the playoffs with the 1st in pts allowed 🤔.  and their...

NBA Stats - NBA Team Offensive Efficiency on TeamRankings.com

25th ranked offensive efficiency.

and 11th in pts (offensively [sort by pts]) 🤯 :

NBA Team Rankings - 2021 Offensive Rankings (lineups.com)

p.s. that team ranking site also has the sixers:

NBA Stats - NBA Team Defensive Efficiency on TeamRankings.com

ranked 4th in defensive efficiency.  so i'm leaning towards the sixers being pretty sound defensively.

looking forward to the knicks / sixers matchup in the playoffs.  knicks seem to be doing well with 1st in points allowed.

also someone did some math..

spacer.png

apparently we're beating teams in our 2 game series by an average of 15.3 pts. in the second game.  do with that what you will, but playoff scenario, you know..  where we play teams back-to-back...  that's pretty good.  also miami and boston could be playoff teams.  charlotte?

i know there's doom and gloomers in this thread saying we're sunk in the playoffs if we don't move *he who shall not be named* for anything we can get...  but it's early in the season and we're doing well in 2 game series.

5 hours ago, JayEcho said:

also someone did some math..

spacer.png

apparently we're beating teams in our 2 game series by an average of 15.3 pts. in the second game.  do with that what you will, but playoff scenario, you know..  where we play teams back-to-back...  that's pretty good.  also miami and boston could be playoff teams.  charlotte?

i know there's doom and gloomers in this thread saying we're sunk in the playoffs if we don't move *he who shall not be named* for anything we can get...  but it's early in the season and we're doing well in 2 game series.

Ok. So who were those 2 game series against?

Miamis G league team, and Herro

Charlotte

And Boston without Tatum and kemba on a minutes restriction.

Any others?

8 hours ago, JayEcho said:

here's the thing..  how are the sixers rated defensively?  there's two aspects to a game.  not many teams are gonna run into a top 10 in scoring (as you pointed out) and what i'm thinking could be a top 5 in defense.  if the games were just play offense and no defense..  yeah, might not be sustainable.  but i think the sixers play defense.  i dunno though, i may have to check that out to make sure.

And when Embiid can't play (which is quite often)? Basically a guaranteed L if Simmons has no offense.

Ben the closer.  :wacko:   That spurt last night should frustrate everyone.  It shows that he decides when he wants to turn it on.  Before those mop up points, he was a joke.  There was a stretch there in the 2nd half that defense played great when he was off the court.  And he’s a top NBA defender?   I took a lot longer than most.  But I’m out on him as a player on the team at all.  I was out as a PG for a while now.  Embiid played great, but after being called out for flopping, you would hope not to see it as much as he did last night.  His effort has been a nice surprise this year though.  

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ben the closer.  :wacko:   That spurt last night should frustrate everyone.  It shows that he decides when he wants to turn it on.  Before those mop up points, he was a joke.  There was a stretch there in the 2nd half that defense played great when he was off the court.  And he’s a top NBA defender?   I took a lot longer than most.  But I’m out on him as a player on the team at all.  I was out as a PG for a while now.  Embiid played great, but after being called out for flopping, you would hope not to see it as much as he did last night.  His effort has been a nice surprise this year though.  

Agreed on Ben. He just doesn’t care unless someone pisses him off, then suddenly he turns it on. It’s annoying. 

With Embiid, I just think Doc is getting through to him much more than Brown ever did.  You at least get the sense that he WANTS to be great. Ben, unfortunately, seems more interested in being a celebrity than a great player. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

There was a stretch there in the 2nd half that defense played great when he was off the court.  And he’s a top NBA defender?  

They replaced him on court with Thybulle who was playing some elite D. 

11 minutes ago, nipples said:

With Embiid, I just think Doc is getting through to him much more than Brown ever did.  You at least get the sense that he WANTS to be great. Ben, unfortunately, seems more interested in being a celebrity than a great player. 

He came into the bubble and killed it last year. The issue with Embiid is he would get a knock, not be able to practice and would lose his cardio. He doesn't like swimming so he can't do any low resistance training to keep the cardio up in those situations.

He was also visibly frustrated at the roster construction and lack of spacing last year with Horford/Richardson replacing Butler and JJ in the starting lineup. 

Being a dad has probably matured him a little bit off the court so he is probably taking better care of his body so far. He is a competitive beast that hates losing and wants to be the best, the drive is there, it was just getting the other little bits right which he has so far.

15 minutes ago, Mat said:

They replaced him on court with Thybulle who was playing some elite D. 

He came into the bubble and killed it last year. The issue with Embiid is he would get a knock, not be able to practice and would lose his cardio. He doesn't like swimming so he can't do any low resistance training to keep the cardio up in those situations.

He was also visibly frustrated at the roster construction and lack of spacing last year with Horford/Richardson replacing Butler and JJ in the starting lineup. 

Being a dad has probably matured him a little bit off the court so he is probably taking better care of his body so far. He is a competitive beast that hates losing and wants to be the best, the drive is there, it was just getting the other little bits right which he has so far.

I know who they replaced him with.  My point is that the whole team got a spark when he left the court.   And he’s supposed to be an elite defensive player.  

So we found out last night that the key to this team winning a championship is to have terrible refs throughout the playoffs. That will keep Joel and Ben motivated to play hard. 

• Like 1