Why Jonathan Gannon is still figuring out Eagles’ defensive system

time2rock

Why Jonathan Gannon is still figuring out Eagles’ defensive system

Updated May 20, 2021; Posted May 20, 2021
Jonathan Gannon

Eagles new defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon speaks with the media on Zoom on May 20, 2021.

Jonathan Gannon isn’t in a rush to figure out his defensive scheme.

The Eagles’ first-year defensive coordinator believes in building his attack around his players’ strengths. Gannon isn’t going to set his players up for failure by putting them in a cookie-cutter system.

"The main thing for us is it’s not what we play, it’s how we play,” Gannon said Thursday.

Gannon has had just a few days to work with the roster at the NovaCare Complex. Veteran players arrived this week, and Gannon is still feeling out their strengths and weaknesses.

As Gannon gets to know the bulk of his players, he will adjust his defense to fit his personnel.

"That’s what I love about our staff, we’re not hardheaded, it’s not ‘my way or the highway,’” Gannon said. "That’s not what this is about. It’s about serving the players and getting them to hit their ceiling.”

Gannon spent the past three years coaching under Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus. Before he arrived in Indianapolis, Gannon worked under Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer.

Eberflus and Zimmer have different philosophies and ways of attacking offenses, and Gannon will use his knowledge of both systems to create his game plan.

"We’re not going to box ourselves into one scheme,” Gannon said.

Gannon is fond of the Eagles’ depth on the defensive line and in the secondary.

While the Eagles have added several new faces to the defense, the coordinator appreciates the foundational talent that he inherited as well.

"I was most excited about the people that they had in place,” Gannon said. "We feel it’s a very talented defense.”

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/05/why-jonathan-gannon-is-still-figuring-out-eagles-defensive-system.html

• Like 1

If true this is a great approach to hear. Don't get stuck in one scheme and doing things a certain way. Tailor the scheme to the strengths of your players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If true this is a great approach to hear. Don't get stuck in one scheme and doing things a certain way. Tailor the scheme to the strengths of your players. 

Completely agree.  That was music to my ears eyes reading that.  I hated how rigid Schwartz was running the defense.  He'd force the player to fit the scheme rather than try to adjust the scheme to play to the players strengths to get the most out of them.  Doug was kinda like that a bit too.  Definitely looking forward to watching both, the youth on this team grow and develop chemistry together and the new coaching staff grow and evolve.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Completely agree.  That was music to my ears reading that.  I hated how rigid Schwartz was running the defense.  He'd force the player to fit the scheme rather than try to adjust the scheme to play to the players strengths to get the most out of them.  Doug was kinda like that a bit too.  Definitely looking forward to watching both, the youth on this team grow and develop chemistry together and the new coaching staff grow and evolve.  

That might be the best (only?) reason to watch the Eagles this season. If I have to eat my words, I'd like butter and garlic please:-).

• Haha 2