Why Jalen Reagor’s workload will look different under Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni

time2rock

Why Jalen Reagor’s workload will look different under Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni

Updated May 25, 2021; Posted May 25, 2021
Jalen Reagor

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jalen Reagor could play in the slot regularly this season.AP

Jalen Reagor’s role could look noticeably different in his second NFL season.

With Nick Sirianni replacing Doug Pederson as the Eagles’ head coach, Reagor is expanding his usage within the offense.

"The only thing that’s pretty much different this year is just me being in the slot,” Reagor said Tuesday. "Honestly, I think it’s just going to make the whole team better -- not necessarily me being in the slot -- but every receiver being interchangeable.”

Reagor isn’t a complete stranger to the slot, as he played 117 snaps -- roughly 22% of his total work on offense -- inside as a rookie. Still, Sirianni is likely to increase that percentage significantly, especially with the addition of first-round pick DeVonta Smith, who has a similar skill set to Reagor.

Smith and Reagor are likely to rotate inside and outside, along with the likes of Travis Fulgham, Greg Ward, Quez Watkins and John Hightower. That interchangeable rotation should give Reagor the opportunity to win battles in different ways than as he did as a rookie.

Reagor caught 31 passes for 396 yards and a touchdown in 11 games last season. After dealing with shoulder and finger injuries as a rookie, Reagor is looking to bounce back under a new regime.

With a fresh start, Reagor hopes to show fans and critics that the Eagles made the right choice by selecting him on Day 1 of the draft last year.

"I know I can do better, that’s the reason I attacked the offseason the way I did,” Reagor said. "We’ll see if everyone has the same energy after this season.”

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/05/why-jalen-reagors-workload-will-look-different-under-eagles-head-coach-nick-sirianni.html

I think playing in the slot more will help Reagor. He's going to be able to catch the ball in the middle of the field more, he's going to be able to use his agility to get YAC and I think it's easier to get him the ball in the slot. And of course he can add some level of vertical threat from the slot which Ward can't. 

• Like 1