Why Eagles’ Jalen Reagor is in ‘great spirits’ after coaching change

time2rock

Why Eagles’ Jalen Reagor is in ‘great spirits’ after coaching change

Today 6:30 AM
Jalen Reagor

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jalen Reagor is entering his second season.(AP Photo/Chris Szagola, Pool) AP

Jalen Reagor has embraced his clean slate under a new Eagles coaching staff.

After a forgettable rookie campaign under Doug Pederson, Reagor has enjoyed working with new head coach Nick Sirianni -- a former wide receivers coach -- this offseason.

"Having coaches that love wide receivers, that’s kind of a like a dream,” Reagor said Tuesday. "The energy around the building, the way those guys are, from the day they got hired or whenever the coaching change happened, they’ve had a lot of communication. I love it and it has me in great spirits.

Reagor missed five games due to shoulder and finger injuries last season. In 11 games, he caught 31 passes for 396 yards and a touchdown. Those numbers didn’t live up to Reagor’s first-round billing, and his rookie season was considered a disappointment, especially when compared to the output of Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson, who was picked one spot after him.

Reagor is hoping to put last year’s struggles behind him. He wants to become a complete receiver, and under Sirianni’s guidance, he plans to expand his versatility.

Reagor said he will play more frequently in the slot this season. With the move inside, Reagor can avoid press coverage and have more opportunities for big plays.

"I love how (the coaches) do everything with intent,” Reagor said. "They tell you why you’re doing it. ... It’s appreciated on my end, for sure.”

It also helps that while the majority of the offensive staff is new, Reagor is still working under wide receivers coach Aaron Moorehead, who was retained by Sirianni in January.

Reagor has known Moorehead since he was a child, as the coach played with his father, Montae, in Indianapolis.

"That’s my guy,” Reagor said. "I was very happy that he was staying on this staff.”

Moorehead is among several familiar faces in the wide receivers room. The only major new addition to the bunch is first-round pick DeVonta Smith.

Reagor thinks Smith -- the reigning Heisman Trophy winner -- will be a great partner in the passing game.

"We’re going to complement each other well,” Reagor said. "It’s going to make our room much better, it’s going to make out team much better.”

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/2021/05/why-eagles-jalen-reagor-is-in-great-spirits-after-coaching-change.html