Malik Willis (Liberty QB) -- DRAFTED BY TENNESSEE #84

Connecticut Eagle

I hope Hurts is the guy.  If not, Willis would be an interesting target.  Reminds me of Kyler Murray.

• 2 weeks later...

Reports have him as being in the mix for the first QB aken in 2022, if Hurts doesn't deliver he should be an option.

• 3 months later...

QB1 on Kiper's Big Board.

image.png.ed70521e3e2b6c2d74b8c45a97c06a5d.png

On 6/3/2021 at 1:14 PM, Connecticut Eagle said:

I hope Hurts is the guy.  If not, Willis would be an interesting target.  Reminds me of Kyler Murray.

Damn, how many receivers does Liberty have. Kid sure does spread the ball around. I like that, it hints that he may be going through progressions. Highlights look good, need to see some game tape

No thanks. I’ll just wait for Caleb Williams in 2024. Lol

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:04 PM, Connecticut Eagle said:

QB1 on Kiper's Big Board.

image.png.ed70521e3e2b6c2d74b8c45a97c06a5d.png

The Eagles brass should be watching the Nov 6 game closely.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

The Eagles brass should be watching the Nov 6 game closely.

Do those 6 interceptions in the last 2 games concern you? That is a genuine question. I'll admit I don't really follow college that closely but, from the little I do know the good QBs in college don't tend to throw a lot of picks. 

There's no way a guy who throws 6 picks in consecutive games against that level of opponent goes top ten, if you're at an FBS independent school that isn't Notre Dame your record has to be better than good especially with how bad Zac Wilson has cratered, Zac Wilson would be the top pick by a country mile in this class based on his last college season.

You can see the articles appearing now about how bad the QB class is this year, this is not the year to take a QB high, unfortunately that probably means it's a bad year to try and trade back if the absolute blue chip talent has gone before you pick because teams will be able to wait to pick up a QB.

• Like 4

Yeah I've said it before and I'll say it many times I do not want a QB in next year's draft. I get that they are going to be in a really good draft position but you just don't do it. The QB class doesn't look great and I think they need to hold their nerve there. 

Some of these QBs may end up being really good in the NFL... But there's no absolute must take. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Do those 6 interceptions in the last 2 games concern you? That is a genuine question. I'll admit I don't really follow college that closely but, from the little I do know the good QBs in college don't tend to throw a lot of picks. 

Not really, Matt Corral threw 6 in one game last year, and he said he learned a lot from that game as I'm sure Willis will learn a lot from his.

Bottom line, all QBs has thrown multiple ints in a game and they all learn from it, it's just a matter of being over confident.

15 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Not really, Matt Corral threw 6 in one game last year, and he said he learned a lot from that game as I'm sure Willis will learn a lot from his.

Bottom line, all QBs has thrown multiple ints in a game and they all learn from it, it's just a matter of being over confident.

Matt Corral (he's not good enough to draft top ten either) threw 6 picks against Arkansas in SEC Conference play, he also threw 5 in a game against LSU.

Willis threw 3 picks in consecutive games against Middle Tennessee and Monroe,  Willis' opponents list so far this season Campbell, Troy, Old Dominion, Syracuse, UAB, Middle Tennessee and Monroe, who have a combined record in weak ass conferences of 21-25. You play opponents like that and you want to get to the NFL as a QB you can't have off games, you have to be lights out, Willis isn't, if you look at last year he has at least a couple of games a year where he's flat awful. Dak Prescott went 4th round and he was a better college QB at a higher level than Willis ever has been, in any other year it would be absurd to suggest Willis is a first round caliber QB, because he isn't, he's a late round flyer at best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Matt Corral (he's not good enough to draft top ten either) threw 6 picks against Arkansas in SEC Conference play, he also threw 5 in a game against LSU.

Willis threw 3 picks in consecutive games against Middle Tennessee and Monroe,  Willis' opponents list so far this season Campbell, Troy, Old Dominion, Syracuse, UAB, Middle Tennessee and Monroe, who have a combined record in weak ass conferences of 21-25. You play opponents like that and you want to get to the NFL as a QB you can't have off games, you have to be lights out, Willis isn't, if you look at last year he has at least a couple of games a year where he's flat awful. Dak Prescott went 4th round and he was a better college QB at a higher level than Willis ever has been, in any other year it would be absurd to suggest Willis is a first round caliber QB, because he isn't, he's a late round flyer at best.

The problems with ints is it not always the fault of the QB, you have WRs running the wrong route, ball hitting the WRs in their hands but doesn't make the reception, ball is tipped and etc.

What I'm looking at is the mobility, accuracy, touch, and arm strength of those two and it's outstanding.

What you're saying about Willis is the same thing that was said about Dak

On 10/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

There's no way a guy who throws 6 picks in consecutive games against that level of opponent goes top ten, if you're at an FBS independent school that isn't Notre Dame your record has to be better than good especially with how bad Zac Wilson has cratered, Zac Wilson would be the top pick by a country mile in this class based on his last college season.

You can see the articles appearing now about how bad the QB class is this year, this is not the year to take a QB high, unfortunately that probably means it's a bad year to try and trade back if the absolute blue chip talent has gone before you pick because teams will be able to wait to pick up a QB.

The struggle to trade back is why I’m fine with taking a guy like Hamilton top 5. Normally I wouldn’t want take a safety that high but with the lack of QBs I’m fine changing my stance on where a certain position should go. 

• Like 1

Ppl need to stop feeding at the hype trough.

There are better options at better schools who play better against better opponents.

The Eagles can't afford to waste draft picks or time gambling on hit or miss players.
They need to start shopping at Georgia this year. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

Ppl need to stop feeding at the hype trough.

There are better options at better schools who play better against better opponents.

The Eagles can't afford to waste draft picks or time gambling on hit or miss players.
They need to start shopping at Georgia this year. 

I think that's why I'm so hesitant to jump on any of the QBs in the class. I don't think any of them stand out and I don't think any of them are playing at top top colleges who are one of the best teams in the country. 

On 10/23/2021 at 5:10 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think that's why I'm so hesitant to jump on any of the QBs in the class. I don't think any of them stand out and I don't think any of them are playing at top top colleges who are one of the best teams in the country. 

Kenny Pickett has 23 TDs to 1 INT. CJ Stroud 22 TDs to 3 INTs. Stetson Bennett has 11 to 2.

All 3 are pocket passers not running QBs. 

I can't stand running QBs. They waste downs trying to run when they shouldn't.
And their passes after taking a hard hot are almost always poor.
But they make a few spectacular runs now and rthen and that's
what most ppl judge them on.

Finally they last about as long as RBs. Even Mahomes looks like he's finished early.
Let's see how many more years Murray and Jackson have.

My QB picks for the past two years were Jones and Burrows
when everyone was **** over Trevor Lawrence.
I liked Lawrence for a NY minute, until I saw how much
he liked running the ball and taking hits,.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 6:14 PM, eaglegenius said:

I can't stand running QBs.

Running QBs aren't the same s mobile QBs, give me a mobile QB over a non-mobile QB any day.

• Like 1

No, he is Jalen Hurts 2.0. I want an accurate QB, this kid is not it. Rather take a shot on Prickett if we are so hells bent on drafting a QB early. he is the only QB I would take in this draft. 

• 2 weeks later...

3 more picks today, they’ve been coming in bunches… oof.

And 27 rushing attempts… no mas.

• 2 months later...

I would take this guy at #19, after taking EDGE/CB at 15/16.  Redshirt him for '22 behind Hurts/Minshew, get a look at him heading into Hurts contract year in '23.