1 minute ago, JohnSnowsHair said:

I don't disagree that how he managed to win in 2016 was very much a black swan event. 

But what the party did the following four years - both in Washington and on the ground - was elevate this demagogue to cult leader status.

thou doth protest too much. The Republican party is going to take a while to recover. 

I am glad to see him gone and the blowback is now what we are faced with. But trumps idiocy doesnt change the folly of left wing policy.

so thats what the GOP is tasked with limiting and its going to be incredibly difficult since they bungled the georgia senate seats

Just now, ToastJenkins said:

I am glad to see him gone and the blowback is now what we are faced with. But trumps idiocy doesnt change the folly of left wing policy.

so thats what the GOP is tasked with limiting and its going to be incredibly difficult since they bungled the georgia senate seats

Yeah, it's kind of a "reap what you sow" moment. Fortunately it's very easy to swing it the other way in 2-4 years.

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Just saying....they all say that.....

I know.

You can't argue that the country is as divided as its ever been in our lifetimes though.

31 minutes ago, Toastrel said:

Stay racist and stupid, ignorant, lying POS

I notice you NEVER own up to your BS when it is pointed out to you.

Lighten up Francis. 

you act like Biden is going to personally call you and Kamala is going to make you hot cocoa. Chill the F out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Green Dog said:

I know.

You can't argue that the country is as divided as its ever been in our lifetimes though.

It has been for a while now.  That is why as a Republican, I was concerned with Trump as a nominee.  

4 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

more than likely many GOP'ers will go through their stages of grief over the next 100 days, and coupled with the almost certain decline in support for Democrats when Trump isn't riling them up with negative partisanship I see the GOP maybe regaining the house in 2022. the map may be favorable enough for Dems to retain the Senate though, which is a weird juxtaposition, though I think temporary as 2024 I believe is pretty strong for the GOP in the Senate.

2022 Senate will depend on whether Georgia actually stays blue and keeps Warnock, and whether AZ stays blue and retains Mark Kelly in 2022 (remember that he has to defend that seat in 2022, as 2020 was a special election after McSally was appointed to it). After that Nevada and New Hampshire look like where Dems need to play defense. 

On the other side, Republicans need to try and defend Toomey's vacant seat - Fetterman has already declared, and he may win over a point or two in rural counties over other Dems - and Ron Johnson's in Wisconsin. 

1 hour ago, Toastrel said:

Lincoln Project... :roll: 

• Haha 1

all that said, since I got off track and started looking ahead to 2022, the GOP clearly has some things to figure out - mainly, what do they stand for?

it's impossible at this stage to argue they're the party of smaller government. they have never made the government smaller in my lifetime.

they aren't for deficit control. every Republican has expanded the deficit in my lifetime. 

other than being "against Democrats", what do they really stand for anymore? 

Nice that Trump is skipping the inauguration, otherwise the poor announcer would have to lie and say, "the Honorable...."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnSnowsHair said:

more than likely many GOP'ers will go through their stages of grief over the next 100 days, and coupled with the almost certain decline in support for Democrats when Trump isn't riling them up with negative partisanship I see the GOP maybe regaining the house in 2022. the map may be favorable enough for Dems to retain the Senate though, which is a weird juxtaposition, though I think temporary as 2024 I believe is pretty strong for the GOP in the Senate.

2022 Senate will depend on whether Georgia actually stays blue and keeps Warnock, and whether AZ stays blue and retains Mark Kelly in 2022 (remember that he has to defend that seat in 2022, as 2020 was a special election after McSally was appointed to it). After that Nevada and New Hampshire look like where Dems need to play defense. 

On the other side, Republicans need to try and defend Toomey's vacant seat - Fetterman has already declared, and he may win over a point or two in rural counties over other Dems - and Ron Johnson's in Wisconsin. 

I haven't looked at in depth, but I doubt the dems are in danger of losing the house. Not when they just won 2 senate seats in Georgia. Trump's stain won't fade that quickly. Not after the scorched earth approach he's taken in the last two months.

Judge Cavanaugh looks like he would rather be anywhere else but here.

Good for Pence to show up 

4 minutes ago, Green Dog said:

Judge Cavanaugh looks like he would rather be anywhere else but here.

Cold as F  in this area 

Just now, Paul852 said:

Anyone have a livestream?

• Thanks 1

Kamala in all purple looking like the Joker.  

Why so serious?!

13 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

I haven't looked at in depth, but I doubt the dems are in danger of losing the house. Not when they just won 2 senate seats in Georgia. Trump's stain won't fade that quickly. Not after the scorched earth approach he's taken in the last two months.

it's just a gut feeling. two years of Republicans playing the obstruction game and complaining incessantly to their base through Fox News about how awful the Democrats are and how important it is that they win back the house, coupled with a typical reduction in turnout among Democrats both during mid-terms AND during the first mid-term after they win the presidency, and I just see a swing happening. 

I think the GOP party is broken. and I still will think they're broken even if they win on nothing other than "GOTTA STOP THE DEMS". but that's what I see. 

9 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

:lol: fake but still funny

I figured it probably was, but still well worth a share :lol:

3 minutes ago, JohnSnowsHair said:

it's just a gut feeling. two years of Republicans playing the obstruction game and complaining incessantly to their base through Fox News about how awful the Democrats are and how important it is that they win back the house, coupled with a typical reduction in turnout among Democrats both during mid-terms AND during the first mid-term after they win the presidency, and I just see a swing happening. 

I think the GOP party is broken. and I still will think they're broken even if they win on nothing other than "GOTTA STOP THE DEMS". but that's what I see. 

I figured it probably was, but still well worth a share :lol:

I think we'd all agree Trump's effect on the electorate has been anything but typical. Pretty sure it'll take more than just 2 years to see any sort of regression to the mean, but I could be wrong. 

Just now, downundermike said:

Seriously. Common sense is back.

• Like 3