Jump to content
cunninghamtheman

Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

Recommended Posts

Over50 percent of our cap in 2024 is used up with fielding AJ, Mailata, Reddick, Goedert, Lane, Sweat and Maddox. Think that’s part of the evaluation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Over50 percent of our cap in 2024 is used up with fielding AJ, Mailata, Reddick, Goedert, Lane, Sweat and Maddox. Think that’s part of the evaluation.

PFF is not a cap website,  it's like asking your plumber about your taxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Wouldn’t that be time to resign Smitty? Dickerson? Milton?

2024 would be year 4 of their rookie deals... you would assume that they get " extended" to where the cap hit is still low in 2024... similar to the contracts the Eagles have done before ..what you will see is the prorated amount of the signing bonus added to 2024.  Nothing big via cap hits 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

How could you not think Watson’s contract has a huge effect on the market? That’s why every other owner was livid that they did that.

It will have an effect on the market... I don't expect Hurts to be the highest paid player in the league...when the Eagles have leverage of letting him play for less than 2 mil if he becomes a pain in the @ss.   So I don't expect the idiot contract given out by Cleveland to effect anything as far as Hurts. 

But it would be awesome if Hurts plays at the level to where he could be considered to get paid that much.... you can be sure that the offense will light it up and we would win more than 11 games and just a possible home playoff win.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Over50 percent of our cap in 2024 is used up with fielding AJ, Mailata, Reddick, Goedert, Lane, Sweat and Maddox. Think that’s part of the evaluation.

How many of these guys do you expect to play for the money that is showing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

It will have an effect on the market... I don't expect Hurts to be the highest paid player in the league...when the Eagles have leverage of letting him play for less than 2 mil if he becomes a pain in the @ss.   So I don't expect the idiot contract given out by Cleveland to effect anything as far as Hurts. 

But it would be awesome if Hurts plays at the level to where he could be considered to get paid that much.... you can be sure that the offense will light it up and we would win more than 11 games and just a possible home playoff win.   

I don’t think Hurts has to get paid exactly as much as Watson for it still to very much effect Hurts new contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I don’t think Hurts has to get paid exactly as much as Watson for it still to very much effect Hurts new contract.

So all offseason you were saying Hurts is cheap for 2 more years....everyone else saying how he is going to have to get paid if he proves to be a starter...  yet all of a sudden you keep bringing up all these things that are supporting everyone else in how Hurts will cost big $$.     

It's a big contradiction to your whole offseason.  Seems like you are getting that QBs are expensive now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And more big QB contracts are coming up....  so waiting absolutely will be a stupid move if they truly believe in Hurts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joemas6 said:

But what is the RB going to hurt you?  A few million.  The QB can cripple you.  For years.

 

Elliott - 90 million over 6 years? That won't hurt you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stine said:

Elliott - 90 million over 6 years? That won't hurt you?

Not even a little bit compared to a QB.  That's 15 mil per year, you cut him and one year of dead money with the remaining signing bonus... peanuts compared to a QB. 

Dak has a $49 mil cap hit next year... $15 mil not even a 1/3 of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Always trying to sign these guys early. Pat yourself on the back fordoing it. Then the player wants a raise before the contract is up anyway.

Ok.... so what's the issue?   Everyone in life wants a raise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

 

Dak has a $49 mil cap hit next year... $15 mil not even a 1/3 of that.

oooo math

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Not even a little bit compared to a QB.  That's 15 mil per year, you cut him and one year of dead money with the remaining signing bonus... peanuts compared to a QB. 

Dak has a $49 mil cap hit next year... $15 mil not even a 1/3 of that.

Yes, but Elliott signed his contract 1-2 years before Dak. If you take in context- Cut Dak after year 4, 25 mil Cap hit. Cut Elliott after year four 33 mil Cap hit. Granted only 1.7 Mil dead money as compared to all 25 mil for Dak... but not like the amounts you posted......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

All contracts that fell well short of the tops at their position.

Dallas Geodart is the 3rd highest paid TE with an avg. of 14.25m a year 

Sweat 11th highest paid DE 

Mailata 9th highest paid LT

They aren’t that short of the highest paid guys

You only get guys at these lower contracts when you sign them early. 
 

You let Mailata play out his contract on his final year you think your getting him for 9th highest paid money at his position???? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, stine said:

Yes, but Elliott signed his contract 1-2 years before Dak. If you take in context- Cut Dak after year 4, 25 mil Cap hit. Cut Elliott after year four 33 mil Cap hit. Granted only 1.7 Mil dead money as compared to all 25 mil for Dak... but not like the amounts you posted......

Yes take in context....  Zeke's combined cap hits for 2020 to 2022 are less than 36 mil...  Dak had over a 31 million cap hit just being tagged in 2020.     37 mil for 2021-22.   

It's a rolling cap, you can't just look at dead money or cost of getting out one year... how much cap space was used already is a huge factor because it effects the carry forward #.   

If you wait to year 4 to cut him... he has over 101 mil cap hit for 2023-24.    

Those #s cripple your cap for years.   Zeke doesn't hurt you much each year at all... cutting him for 30 mil cap hit would be a one and done.  

One and done moves are inconvenient, but don't kill your cap for years. 

You can't wait to sign a QB. Gotta get him done early.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Dallas Geodart is the 3rd highest paid TE with an avg. of 14.25m a year 

Sweat 11th highest paid DE 

Mailata 9th highest paid LT

They aren’t that short of the highest paid guys

You only get guys at these lower contracts when you sign them early. 
 

You let Mailata play out his contract on his final year you think your getting him for 9th highest paid money at his position???? 

Correct... more importantly as Stine brought up with the context of the timing.  Rank those contracts in the current year given... wait a year not only do their rankings go up, but the scale increases to the following year. Double whammy!   

Then you need to guarantee more things... triple whammy.    Plus you can't use last year of rookie deal for signing bonus...  quadruple whammy.

The Eagles have signed a bunch of guys who were basically a waste... from DeMarco Murray, Maxwell, Jernigan, Jackson and Jackson, Alshon, Wentz...  

Dallas overpaid a little for Zeke and Dak, but still getting good usage out of both...  yet Eagles in much better cap shape and have been for years...with one exception 2021 where both teams couldn't do anything.  

Pay your QB early,take the chance, if he fails move on. It won't kill you.  Get him early before he becomes a free agent and gets a Watson deal.  Use the leverage while you have it. Use the time that's on your side by locking in today's $$. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

 

Pay your QB early,take the chance, if he fails move on. It won't kill you.  

 

It will if you have to guarantee a high amount

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the whole key to signing Hurts seems to rely on getting him to not force what the market is showing for a QB. To get him to take the least amount guaranteed in the new day of fully guaranteed contract. To instead go with an incentive bonus laden contract with a team out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://yebscore.com/news/how-are-philadelphia-eagles-spending-their-money-in-the-nfl/

Philadelphia Eagles – Spending in NFL

Position Cap Hit (in millions) League Rank League Average (in millions) Differential (in millions) Percentage of Total Cap League Average Percentage
QB $5.72 29 $19.5 $-13.78 2.94% 9.51%
RB/FB $5.91 32 $11.8 $-5.89 3.04% 5.75%
TE $9.46 18 $11.1 $-1.64 4.87% 5.41%
WR $21.75 17 $23.7 $-1.95 11.2% 11.56%
OL $49.63 3 $37.5 $12.13 25.55% 18.28%
DL $50.81 5 $34 $16.81 26.16% 16.58%
LB $11.22 30 $25.4 $-14.18 5.78% 12.38%
DBs $32.71 19 $35.6 $-2.89 16.84% 17.36%
ST $7.03 14 $6.6 $0.43 3.62% 3.22%
Total $194.23 23 $205.1 $-10.87    
Dead Money $54.92 3 $21.96 $32.95    
Cap Space $3.96 32 $16.28 $-12.32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good info MJK! 
It has been awhile. I have been busy with work and training. 51 year old going to race in a Spartan race with the top 50 in my age group from last years qualifying races. Strained a hammy, tendonitis in my achilles, and sore knee and hip. And the race is roughly 2 weeks away now. Yikes!

I clearly didn’t catch up on everything, but a couple of funny comments I wanted to make….

* I see some are still worried about a punter. Hell, just go for it on every 4th down.

* Some feel Miles Sanders is elite. I’m definitely not there. I LOVE the position; have many jerseys of EAGLES’ RBs, and Sanders is not one of them.

* On a serious note, Tartt was a really good, under the radar signing.

Hope everyone is doing well! Summer is finally here! Golf season!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Senhorcook said:

Good info MJK! 
It has been awhile. I have been busy with work and training. 51 year old going to race in a Spartan race with the top 50 in my age group from last years qualifying races. Strained a hammy, tendonitis in my achilles, and sore knee and hip. And the race is roughly 2 weeks away now. Yikes!

I clearly didn’t catch up on everything, but a couple of funny comments I wanted to make….

* I see some are still worried about a punter. Hell, just go for it on every 4th down.

* Some feel Miles Sanders is elite. I’m definitely not there. I LOVE the position; have many jerseys of EAGLES’ RBs, and Sanders is not one of them.

* On a serious note, Tartt was a really good, under the radar signing.

Hope everyone is doing well! Summer is finally here! Golf season!

GL on your Spartan race! I hope you kick arse lol.  image.gif.baddf92c8e624f89321e63d47f513957.gif

*Punter - GO FOR IT lol

*Sanders and RB position - Agreed

*Tarrt - Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...