Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

With the Commissioner coming out with a mandate potentially punishing teams with forfeits and financial compensation for losses it seems that players who haven’t taken the Covid 19 shot could cost their teams dearly. According to this : https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/17/colts-washington-have-nfls-lowest-vaccination-rates-at-below-50-percent/ the Colts are one of the teams with the lowest amount of players with the Covid shot which means there is a real possibility that Carson Wentz could not meet the required amount of games for the Eagles to get that first round pick compensation. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/nfl-teams-could-face-forfeits-covid-outbreaks-among-unvaccinated-players-n1274778

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure he has to take a percentage of snaps. So I would think it’s all relative to what the Colts actually play. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Pretty sure he has to take a percentage of snaps. So I would think it’s all relative to what the Colts actually play. 

That is to assume he is one of the players who is vaccinated. Knowing what I know about the player I have my doubts. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

That is to assume he is one of the players who is vaccinated. Knowing what I know about the player I have my doubts. 

That would obviously affect it sure, assuming the Colts have to play games without Wentz, but if the Colts have to forfeit games, then I would think the percentages are based on the total snaps he plays in the games the Colts can play. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That would obviously affect it sure, assuming the Colts have to play games without Wentz, but if the Colts have to forfeit games, then I would think the percentages are based on the total snaps he plays in the games the Colts can play. 

Also losing games (via forfeit) can also have an effect on the stipulations as Wentz must  play 70% of the snaps and have the Colts in the playoffs. I believe the other option is 78% regardless. If the Colts are losing games vie forfeit then it could have serious playoff implications. 

It’s 75% without the playoffs, but that to me still suggests it’s all based on percentage of possible snaps. This is an extreme hypothetical, but if the Colts had to forfeit 16 games, and Wentz starts and finishes the 1 game the Colts play, then he would have taken 100% of the snaps played. 

53 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

What do you know about the player?  He’s the starting QB being paid among the highest salaries on the team.  Last season before the vaccine came out teams were sequestering their QBs.  The organization will mandate their QBs be vaccinated — especially the starter.  

No NFL team will risk their starting QB missing games because they’re too stubborn/stupid/selfish to get vaccinated — because, face it, that’s what it comes down to.

8 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

What do you know about the player?  He’s the starting QB being paid among the highest salaries on the team.  Last season before the vaccine came out teams were sequestering their QBs.  The organization will mandate their QBs be vaccinated — especially the starter.  

No NFL team will risk their starting QB missing games because they’re too stubborn/stupid/selfish to get vaccinated — because, face it, that’s what it comes down to.

NFL trams can not force any player to be vaccinated. If that were the case Godell would have just made it mandatory. 

53 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

It’s 75% without the playoffs, but that to me still suggests it’s all based on percentage of possible snaps. This is an extreme hypothetical, but if the Colts had to forfeit 16 games, and Wentz starts and finishes the 1 game the Colts play, then he would have taken 100% of the snaps played. 

Or Wentz could be the one out and they play that one game without him, forfeited the rest and he plays zero percent of the snaps. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Or Wentz could be the one out and they play that one game without him, forfeited the rest and he plays zero percent of the snaps. 

That’s possible too, sure. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Once again, what do you know about the player.

13 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

What do you know about the player?  

What do you "know"?

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

What do you "know"?

That he’s a man of faith, a bit stubborn, generally conservative, and a huge advocate of guns. As such he’s very likely not to have been vaccinated and considering he’s on one of the trams with the lowest vaccinated groups it’s very likely he’s among that group. Of course you can think whatever you want, but the truth will surface if the Colts get hit with the Covid bug and we will see who’s playing and who isn’t. 

22 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Once again, what do you know about the player.

I know some of you are still naive enough to think he cares about any of you. 

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

NFL trams can not force any player to be vaccinated. If that were the case Godell would have just made it mandatory. 

They're not required to force him.  A starting QB is a leader, he needs to be out there, it pains them to be taken out -- why do you think Wentz didn't return to PHI?  I would be absolutely shocked if information came out that ANY of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL were not vaccinated.  

It doesn't come down to anything else but practicality.

Just now, Alphagrand said:

They're not required to force him.  A starting QB is a leader, he needs to be out there, it pains them to be taken out -- why do you think Wentz didn't return to PHI?  I would be absolutely shocked if information came out that ANY of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL were not vaccinated.  

It doesn't come down to anything else but practicality.

You’re calling him a "leader” while failing to see how bad he was at leadership in Philly. 🤦🏾‍♂️

I’m not surprised some of you don’t seem to get the idea that Carson likely isn’t vaccinated. It’s just like you didn’t realize Carson wanted out of Philly despite the evidence was as clear as day even before the trade happened. 🙄🤷‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

Well he wasn't vaccinated last year and he played the whole year until he was benched due to his putrid play. 

This doesn't effect the trade at all unless he isn't able to play 75% of their snaps but plays 70% of their snaps and the Colts miss the playoffs due to a forefitted game. 

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Well he wasn't vaccinated last year and he played the whole year until he was benched due to his putrid play. 

This doesn't effect the trade at all unless he isn't able to play 75% of their snaps but plays 70% of their snaps and the Colts miss the playoffs due to a forefitted game. 

I’m not saying the deal is completely dead, but the Covid issue is a factor. What happens if week three he’s still playing, but his LT is out with Covid, and he gets sacked and tears his knee up cause his replacement wasn’t good enough? Most likely any team out with Covid players will still try to play the game. Of course a guy could be simply out with an injury too, bit is not the same as certain players are taking a "personal stance” against the vaccine. It should also be noted that last season every team pretty much have Covid protocols for the entire team that are no longer in play as such it was much easier for an unvaccinated player (heck back then none of us were vaccinated) to avoid catching Covid. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

You’re calling him a "leader” while failing to see how bad he was at leadership in Philly. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Specific examples?  I think you're being naive to how events actually transpired in Philly regarding Wentz.

Doug pulled him from the game against GB without telling him he wasn't going back in.  He still had his helmet on several plays afterward assuming he was going back into the game.  Wentz spoke with Rodgers after the game -- QBs are a fraternity of sorts, and Rodgers likely told him 'if the organization isn't behind you it's time to look out for yourself'.  I believe this because 1) Rodgers' own actions this offseason towards his team, and  2) Wentz told Pat McAfee himself he knew his time with the Eagles was done when he was pulled against GB.

Wentz has to look after his livelihood, just like any other player does.  He and his agent correctly assessed the market as CHI and IND would gladly take him as their starting QB and his job would be assured.  The Eagles were unwilling to guarantee his starting job this season -- which means his contract would likely be cut short by the organization as soon as they could -- demonstrated by their willingness to eat as much dead salary as they did.

Don't pretend Wentz leaving was a 100% Wentz decision.  Doug told Troy Aikman and Brett Favre that it was his wish to go forward with Jalen Hurts as starting QB.  Howie drafted Jalen Hurts.  If the Eagles were committed to Wentz, they would have traded Jalen Hurts.  When the organization starts to move, then the player is stupid not to have his agent act in his best interests.  All communication during the offseason prior to the Wentz trade was between Howie and the agent.  Strictly business -- and smart business.

9 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Specific examples?  I think you're being naive to how events actually transpired in Philly regarding Wentz.

Doug pulled him from the game against GB without telling him he wasn't going back in.  He still had his helmet on several plays afterward assuming he was going back into the game.  Wentz spoke with Rodgers after the game -- QBs are a fraternity of sorts, and Rodgers likely told him 'if the organization isn't behind you it's time to look out for yourself'.  I believe this because 1) Rodgers' own actions this offseason towards his team, and  2) Wentz told Pat McAfee himself he knew his time with the Eagles was done when he was pulled against GB.

Wentz has to look after his livelihood, just like any other player does.  He and his agent correctly assessed the market as CHI and IND would gladly take him as their starting QB and his job would be assured.  The Eagles were unwilling to guarantee his starting job this season -- which means his contract would likely be cut short by the organization as soon as they could -- demonstrated by their willingness to eat as much dead salary as they did.

Don't pretend Wentz leaving was a 100% Wentz decision.  Doug told Troy Aikman and Brett Favre that it was his wish to go forward with Jalen Hurts as starting QB.  Howie drafted Jalen Hurts.  If the Eagles were committed to Wentz, they would have traded Jalen Hurts.  When the organization starts to move, then the player is stupid not to have his agent act in his best interests.  All communication during the offseason prior to the Wentz trade was between Howie and the agent.  Strictly business -- and smart business.

Trading ones qb resulting in the largest dead cap hit in the history of the game was not good business.

Good for Wentz nothing good for the eagles and Howie.

Still shocked Howie isn't fired over the whole Wentz debacle.

24 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not saying the deal is completely dead, but the Covid issue is a factor. What happens if week three he’s still playing, but his LT is out with Covid, and he gets sacked and tears his knee up cause his replacement wasn’t good enough? Most likely any team out with Covid players will still try to play the game. Of course a guy could be simply out with an injury too, bit is not the same as certain players are taking a "personal stance” against the vaccine. It should also be noted that last season every team pretty much have Covid protocols for the entire team that are no longer in play as such it was much easier for an unvaccinated player (heck back then none of us were vaccinated) to avoid catching Covid. 

How is this a new revelation to you?  What has changed between the trade and now for this to become some new issue that throws this trade into danger?  Protocols are still in place for players who are not vaccinated. 

What if it's week 6 and someone runs a red light and blind sides his truck and he breaks his leg? 

34 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Trading ones qb resulting in the largest dead cap hit in the history of the game was not good business.

Good for Wentz nothing good for the eagles and Howie.

Still shocked Howie isn't fired over the whole Wentz debacle.

I was referring to Wentz and his agent as "smart business".  The Eagles completely bungled the entire episode, made clear by the fact Wentz still balked at returning even after Doug was fired.

6 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I was referring to Wentz and his agent as "smart business".  The Eagles completely bungled the entire episode, made clear by the fact Wentz still balked at returning even after Doug was fired.

Also evidenced by the fact that they tried to trade up to the top 3 this year in the draft, and the continued reports in Philly and Houston linking the Eagles to Deshaun Watson.

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

Wentz is not an Eagles for no reason other than Wentz didn’t want to be an Eagle anymore. Wentz is not a Bear, because Wentz wasn’t going to play for them. Wentz is a Colt, because Wentz wanted to be a Colt. Even after Carson’s horrible season the Eagles wanted him back. The Eagles did not want to trade Wentz, but they had no choice. With that being the case we have been hearing issues about Carson’s leadership skills for several years now. Some of you have been spending most of that time vehemently defending him rather than listening. 

49 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How is this a new revelation to you?  What has changed between the trade and now for this to become some new issue that throws this trade into danger?  Protocols are still in place for players who are not vaccinated. 

What if it's week 6 and someone runs a red light and blind sides his truck and he breaks his leg? 

The protocol HAS CHANGED. Teams can now forfeit games due to Covid. A friend of Carson’s could get Covid, and Carson could miss a game due to trace reporting even if he doesn’t have Covid. The same applies for other unvaccinated teammates. Godell’s new mandate has absolutely changed things. 

Archived