Carson Wentz and the Colts pick - officially #16 (topic closed)

EazyEaglez

Mulling around the Wentz thread on the Rotoworld fantasy forum and...:roll:

2 hours ago, lvsaint429 said:

Anyone else wondering why the Bears haven’t yet made a deal to send Foles to the Colts? Even for a 6th or 7th round pick? He’s not very good IMO, but they need to dump him, he knows Reich’s offense & the Colts need someone to hold that spot if Wentz can come back 

1 hour ago, TTo34 said:

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the Colts know Wentz will collapse into himself like a dying star and form a black hole if that were to happen.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, NOTW said:

We've seen this movie before, with other players too. Get surgery asap and be back for meaningful football. 

Pretty easy to see the outcome. He will not get surgery and try to be "hero" and play through it. I just don't see him being able to plant on the foot and have people grab it or fall on it and have him make it through a 17 game season. He will probably get surgery by Week 3 or 4 and end up missing close to the rest of the season.  That will basically crush Indy's plans and make them second guess the whole trade. 

2 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Pretty easy to see the outcome. He will not get surgery and try to be "hero" and play through it. I just don't see him being able to plant on the foot and have people grab it or fall on it and have him make it through a 17 game season. He will probably get surgery by Week 3 or 4 and end up missing close to the rest of the season.  That will basically crush Indy's plans and make them second guess the whole trade. 

Again, we don't really know specifically what is wrong with the foot. If not getting surgery only means that he will experience pain, that can be managed during games. If playing on it prevents total healing, then he can get surgery after the season. But if rest  and rehab can really help it heal (which is possible) he could be fine in a few weeks anyway. 

The big issue would be if this is something that can become worse. If that's the case, this could potentially be a bad decision. 

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

In his defense he’s not the only guy to pull this type of move in the NFL. Jackson did it last season as others have mentioned. I don’t think guys in the NFL like surgeries. 

There’s a lack of trust between players and team medical staffs and it’s rampant in not just the nfl but the nhl is going through similar issues.  The players associations advise the players not to jump into surgeries because it could be career threatening anyway and there’s times when rehab could potentially work, and their under contract so it’s a safer long term bet in many cases.  It’s a huge problem that’s being ignored heavily and a lot of it has to do with the ongoing CTE problems and lawsuits.  I can’t say I blame the players honestly.   

There's potentially a best case scenario here, however unlikely:

Wentz foolishly plays through the injury, severely sucking and losing games. However, he manages to play on and hits the 75% threshold.

Now I know people say that the Colts will bench him if he sucks, but can they? If they do they are writing him off as we know how he responds to being benched.

6 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Exactly my thoughts too. 

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

There's potentially a best case scenario here, however unlikely:

Wentz foolishly plays through the injury, severely sucking and losing games. However, he manages to play on and hits the 75% threshold.

Now I know people say that the Colts will bench him if he sucks, but can they? If they do they are writing him off as we know how he responds to being benched.

Well, I suppose people could then claim that if he was fully healthy he‘d play better… 

Wentz has had surgery before, so it wouldn't be something he would experience for the first time. I don't believe this is an issue of him being scared. I think he just wants to make sure he's playing, not rehabbing, when the season starts. If the doctors are telling him it's a pain issue, he probably already has an idea of what things he can do on the field despite the pain. On top of that, I'm sure they've explained to him what the medical staff can do to help mitigate the pain during games. 

8 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Wentz has had surgery before, so it wouldn't be something he would experience for the first time. I don't believe this is an issue of him being scared. I think he just wants to make sure he's playing, not rehabbing, when the season starts. If the doctors are telling him it's a pain issue, he probably already has an idea of what things he can do on the field despite the pain. On top of that, I'm sure they've explained to him what the medical staff can do to help mitigate the pain during games. 

I would agree with this. I mean look we can say and think what we want about Wentz but I do think he knows how to deal with playing with pain. And I don't think he's mentally weak in that aspect. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I would agree with this. I mean look we can say and think what we want about Wentz but I do think he knows how to deal with playing with pain. And I don't think he's mentally weak in that aspect. 

So if Wentz is on a bad foot to go with three of his offensive linemen out with Covid how do you think that game would play out?

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

So if Wentz is on a bad foot to go with three of his offensive linemen out with Covid how do you think that game would play out?

It isn't going to play out very well! But hey that isn't our problem anymore.

I've resolved myself that we aren't getting that 1st rounder.  Conspiracy theory: Wentz really isn't injured, hence why he decided "rest and rehab" over surgery. There is now a built-in excuse for him to miss just enough time (at any time during the season) to not meet the 70/75% threshold.  By doing this now, it is much less "obvious" than coming up with a mystery/non-surgical ailment late in the season when it would be much more obvious they're trying to get out of giving up that 1st rounder.  If, say, it's week 12 or 13 and the Colts stink with Wentz starting every game...but then his foot ailment resurfaces and now they need to shut him down, etc. <_<

:ph34r:

19 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

I've resolved myself that we aren't getting that 1st rounder.  Conspiracy theory: Wentz really isn't injured, hence why he decided "rest and rehab" over surgery. There is now a built-in excuse for him to miss just enough time (at any time during the season) to not meet the 70/75% threshold.  By doing this now, it is much less "obvious" than coming up with a mystery/non-surgical ailment late in the season when it would be much more obvious they're trying to get out of giving up that 1st rounder.  If, say, it's week 12 or 13 and the Colts stink with Wentz starting every game...but then his foot ailment resurfaces and now they need to shut him down, etc. <_<

There a playoff team that promised to rebuild Carson into an elite qb.  They aren’t scamming the system here.  They invested a lot Into getting him and taking the next step in the playoffs.  Their backup has never played an nfl snap.  Why on earth would they fake an injury and miss the playoffs just to save a 1st rounder?  That’s ridiculous.  Plus even if he only plays 70% of the snaps and they make the playoffs then we still get the first.  

34 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

They went 11-5 with the last noodly armed gasps of Phillip Rivers career last year and were a bit unlucky not to knock Buffalo out in the Wildcard Round, no way they'd tank a season to save a pick on Wentz, Reich thought he'd got the piece to get them over the hump.

I have no doubt that Wentz is injured, and if he genuinely felt a ligament pop in his foot, I have no doubt that eventually he'll be forced to get surgery.

24 minutes ago, DBW said:

There a playoff team that promised to rebuild Carson into an elite qb.  They aren’t scamming the system here.  They invested a lot Into getting him and taking the next step in the playoffs.  Their backup has never played an nfl snap.  Why on earth would they fake an injury and miss the playoffs just to save a 1st rounder?  That’s ridiculous.  Plus even if he only plays 70% of the snaps and they make the playoffs then we still get the first.  

It was more of a joke, on my part.  I don't seriously believe that.  But, I do believe it is not out of the realm of possibility that the Colts could ultimately "hedge their bet" by creating the guise of an injury in case their season doesn't go as planned.  If Wentz starts Week 1 and continues up to, and a little past, the half-way point of the season and they are not doing well (i.e., their first round pick is starting to look like a top 10-15 pick), they could sit Wentz and justify it by saying his foot issue has flared up, etc.

2 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

It was more of a joke, on my part.  I don't seriously believe that.  But, I do believe it is not out of the realm of possibility that the Colts could ultimately "hedge their bet" by creating the guise of an injury in case their season doesn't go as planned.  If Wentz starts Week 1 and continues up to, and a little past, the half-way point of the season and they are not doing well (i.e., their first round pick is starting to look like a top 10-15 pick), they could sit Wentz and justify it by saying his foot issue has flared up, etc.

Or they could do what the Eagles did and bench him because he simply sucks.  Why create a fake injury story.  

5 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

They went 11-5 with the last noodly armed gasps of Phillip Rivers career last year and were a bit unlucky not to knock Buffalo out in the Wildcard Round, no way they'd tank a season to save a pick on Wentz, Reich thought he'd got the piece to get them over the hump.

I have no doubt that Wentz is injured, and if he genuinely felt a ligament pop in his foot, I have no doubt that eventually he'll be forced to get surgery.

I'm not suggesting they are tanking the season...more like "hedging their bet".  If, say, this injury that Wentz has now occurred in Week 12 or 13 while the Colts had a losing record and playoff hopes looking dim...and Wentz decided "rest and rehab" at that point and merely just sat out the rest of the season...it would look a little more shady than if you present this injury now and say it flared up later, etc.

2 minutes ago, DBW said:

Or they could do what the Eagles did and bench him because he simply sucks.  Why create a fake injury story.  

Because that would have a bad public look..."the Colts suck, Wentz isn't playing well but is healthy, then bench him to get him under the 75%"  

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It isn't going to play out very well! But hey that isn't our problem anymore.

It is regarding the draft pick. He’s kind of our problem for one more season (the pick and enormous cap hit) and then he’s pretty much gone. 

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

I think it’s a little early to play those types of games. If they were really concerned about that pick so much then they would have signed or traded for a better backup. They think they have anSB roster so they aren’t looking to do play silly games.

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It is regarding the draft pick. He’s kind of our problem for one more season (the pick and enormous cap hit) and then he’s pretty much gone. 

Wentz is having surgery.  It is a 2nd rounder, it’s over, lock up this thread.

2 minutes ago, eagles1966 said:

He's getting surgery. Out 5-12 weeks. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2946715-colts-carson-wentz-will-undergo-foot-surgery-will-miss-5-12-weeks-with-injury.amp.html
2nd round pick.

Just now, downundermike said:

Wentz is having surgery.  It is a 2nd rounder, it’s over, lock up this thread.

Sure. Lock it up. I was right.

I am hearing this is an old injury in Wentz's foot, going back to high school. Rehab isn't going to fix it, it will only get progressively worse. Surgery to remove bone is the only option.

Archived