Giants off to a good start

NOTW

6 hours ago, Boogyman said:

Giants should definitely resign Jones and Barkley to long term deals.

Definitely. Please. Do it. 

Fingers crossed for Jones, he's earned it. I wish Barkley the best of luck (at the reported $16M per year). If he wants to stick around for half that, or on a bigger one year deal, cool. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Fingers crossed for Jones, he's earned it. I wish Barkley the best of luck (at the reported $16M per year). If he wants to stick around for half that, or on a bigger one year deal, cool. 

My fingers and toes are crossed for him.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

NY Sports radio talked positive of this. They said the Giants only need to pay Jones for 2 years. If he sucks they can drop him after 2 years and get out of it, if he is good they can pay him more.

Great contract for Jones. $40M annually ($18.5M against the cap in year one) will look like a steal after this next crop of QBs is signed. Well done by Schoen. Zero complaints. 

2 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

Great contract for Jones. $40M annually ($18.5M against the cap in year one) will look like a steal after this next crop of QBs is signed. Well done by Schoen. Zero complaints. 

If they surround him with more talent he could do some things I guess.

The Hurts narrative is funny. In 2021 he was a middle of the pack QB. Everyone in Philly was ready to dump him. In 2022 he has the best OL in the league by a large margin and probably the best pass catching duo as well (pretty good TE too) and he takes off. Let’s see what happens when the Birds give him $50M+ and that roster goes from elite to mid. 

1 hour ago, BKLYNYG said:

The Hurts narrative is funny. In 2021 he was a middle of the pack QB. Everyone in Philly was ready to dump him. In 2022 he has the best OL in the league by a large margin and probably the best pass catching duo as well (pretty good TE too) and he takes off. Let’s see what happens when the Birds give him $50M+ and that roster goes from elite to mid. 

Not everyone... just a vocal few as per tradition. 2021 he was middle of the pack with comparable stats to what Danny boy had this past season that earned him 160 mill some how.

22 minutes ago, judunno said:

Not everyone... just a vocal few as per tradition. 2021 he was middle of the pack with comparable stats to what Danny boy had this past season that earned him 160 mill some how.

That’s exactly right. 2021 Hurts and 2022 Jones were very similar. Even the team W-L record was similar. But then Hurts was propped up by the best roster in the league and is now going to earn 5, 10M more per year than DJ? As you said, give Jones better weapons and maybe he’ll outperform that contract. Will Hurts ever again be in as good a position as he was in 2022? Probably not, but that dude is gonna get PAID and it will be very difficult for him to live up the contract he’s about to get. 

20 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

^^^^
This Giants fan is a fugging idiot. LOLOLOL 

Was there a part of my post you wish to disprove? If so, try and use full sentences. Not LOLs and emojis. 😉

I'm gonna eat my crow I've been saying for a few years that Nickels wouldn't get a 2nd contract from the GMen and he did.  Is it a bit more than he's worth?  well i remember when people laughed at the Giants for giving Eli 17m/yr and they got 2 SB's out of it.  This is a 2yr prove it deal and at Franchise value but a good 20% under the top echelon.  It's perfectly sensible considering there was nobody available that really fit them and they aren't in position for a top Qb in the draft.  Nickel's ppl correctly identified the GMen's situation and milked an extra 15-20m out of it.

12 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

That’s exactly right. 2021 Hurts and 2022 Jones were very similar. Even the team W-L record was similar. But then Hurts was propped up by the best roster in the league and is now going to earn 5, 10M more per year than DJ? As you said, give Jones better weapons and maybe he’ll outperform that contract. Will Hurts ever again be in as good a position as he was in 2022? Probably not, but that dude is gonna get PAID and it will be very difficult for him to live up the contract he’s about to get. 

So if I got this right, he deserves to get paid because it took him 3 years to get to the same level it took Hurts 1 year to achieve.  Word.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BKLYNYG said:

A steal?  Derek Carr was easily better value, dude has way more track record of production and was had for less.  Jones was overdrafted and now overpaid, and i find it real weird that any Giants fan is actually excited about 2 more yrs of Nickels.

2 hours ago, paco said:

So if I got this right, he deserves to get paid because it took him 3 years to get to the same level it took Hurts 1 year to achieve.  Word.

Eh, you need to consider the situation both guys were in. Every year of Jones’ career has been a fresh start so far. But if you want to look at just their first year as a starter, once again their stats are comparable (Jones' number are actually better and it was his first year in the league vs. Hurts' second). I know Hurts blew up this year, but when you put the two players in similar situations they’re not that different.

38 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

A steal?  Derek Carr was easily better value, dude has way more track record of production and was had for less.  Jones was overdrafted and now overpaid, and i find it real weird that any Giants fan is actually excited about 2 more yrs of Nickels.

I said it will look like a good value contract after this next crop of QBs are signed (200 and 300 million dollar contracts). I didn't compare him to Carr, but hell, I would definitely take Jones over Carr right now. He's 6 years younger (which is an eternity in the NFL) and more dynamic (Carr is the better pure thrower). 

If Hurts is extended for 10M more annually than Jones, will be you be excited? 

4 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

I didn't compare him to Carr, but hell, I would definitely take Jones over Carr right now. He's 6 years younger (which is an eternity in the NFL) and more dynamic (Carr is the better pure thrower). 

If Hurts is extended for 10M more annually than Jones, will be you be excited? 

What does 6 yrs matter when they are essentially signed for the next 2?  Advantage Carr all the way.

Yes.  

6 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

What does 6 yrs matter when they are essentially signed for the next 2?  Advantage Carr all the way.

Yes.  

Because we know exactly what Carr is. Jones still has room to improve. Carr is the better QB for a team that's locked and loaded (not sure that's the Saints, but it might be). I like the idea of Jones growing with the Giants current roster. 

I hope the Eagles sign Hurts for 50M/yr too.

2 minutes ago, BKLYNYG said:

Because we know exactly what Carr is. Jones still has room to improve. Carr is the better QB for a team that's locked and loaded (not sure that's the Saints, but it might be). I like the idea of Jones growing with the Giants current roster. 

I hope the Eagles sign Hurts for 50M/yr too.

We have a pretty good idea of what Jones is too.  The argument for Jones is the one you have been making, that he needs a better roster around him, not that he's actually going to improve by leaps and bounds after 4 yrs starting.  Carr is also a guy with same argument, he's never had a complete roster around him, his OLines have been sometimes even worse than the ones Nickels had played behind and yet his stats have been better by a lot.  20+ TD's in 7/8 seasons compared 1/4 for Nickels.