Michael Thomas (Saints WR) -- Potential Trade?

Captain F

He wants out.  N.O. is now open to trading him.  We still have garbage at WR.  Send them a 1 and JJAw or Raegor and call it a day.  Thomas and Smith :drool:

Nope, he has become a headache the last couple of years and I don't think he will be as good without Brees hand feeding him balls into his chest on slants anymore. 

• Haha 1

Are we playing madden with the salary cap turned off? 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Are we playing madden with the salary cap turned off? 

We have the cap space.  N.o. is going to eat a bulk of his salary next year if he's traded. 

1 hour ago, What The F said:

We have the cap space.  N.o. is going to eat a bulk of his salary next year if he's traded. 

You actually think they opened up that cap space to trade for a diva WR making 15+ mill a year as a base in the next 3 seasons......................

f2157b012f595444406df69db1fb0995.gif

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

You actually think they opened up that cap space to trade for a diva WR making 15+ mill a year as a base in the next 3 seasons......................

f2157b012f595444406df69db1fb0995.gif

No one said that's WHY they did it.  You said they don't have it.  They do.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, What The F said:

No one said that's WHY they did it.  You said they don't have it.  They do.  

The Eagles aren't about to waste draft picks for more salary, period. That's the opposite of what they are trying to do. We opened up space to rework more contracts during the season for young players that we intend to build around going forward. I don't think Thomas has any guaranteed money after 2021, but what do we need a rental WR coming off an injury for? IT's definitely not worth losing a high pick for. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The Eagles aren't about to waste draft picks for more salary, period. That's the opposite of what they are trying to do. We opened up space to rework more contracts during the season for young players that we intend to build around going forward. I don't think Thomas has any guaranteed money after 2021, but what do we need a rental WR coming off an injury for? IT's definitely not worth losing a high pick for. 

He has 4 years left on his contract. Not a rental at all. He only costs 1 million this year. The Saints would eat 9M of his cap number. The problem is his cap over the next 3 is huge. He would have to rework his contract for sure after this year. Is he worth it? Yes

46 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

He has 4 years left on his contract. Not a rental at all. He only costs 1 million this year. The Saints would eat 9M of his cap number. The problem is his cap over the next 3 is huge. He would have to rework his contract for sure after this year. Is he worth it? Yes

Yes, There's a contract in place, but none of it is guaranteed after this season. We don't need another top paid player at WR right now. At this point, we need to evaluate what we have in Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, and Watkins, not to mention Hurts. Hurts is not a vet QB. Bringing in a seasoned WR like Thomas probably won't boost Hurts' play more than letting him grow with the WRs he's been working with to this point. We also need to keep our high draft picks  as we prepare for life without a lot of our high-priced, aging vets in the coming seasons.

We have a significant amount of dead money and figure to have more in the next couple season. WR is a position we can use at the moment to counter that hit since the guys we currently have are relatively cheap. 

IMO, people need to stop dreaming about big-name players. 

10 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Yes, There's a contract in place, but none of it is guaranteed after this season. We don't need another top paid player at WR right now. At this point, we need to evaluate what we have in Smith, Reagor, Fulgham, and Watkins, not to mention Hurts. Hurts is not a vet QB. Bringing in a seasoned WR like Thomas probably won't boost Hurts' play more than letting him grow with the WRs he's been working with to this point. We also need to keep our high draft picks  as we prepare for life without a lot of our high-priced, aging vets in the coming seasons.

You don't really mean that though surely? Look I am not saying trade for Thomas but bringing in a really good WR who has produced at the top level in the NFL will absolutely help Hurts. He needs a reliable WR to get the ball too. We have heard and read during TC that our WRs are struggling especially with those 50/50 balls and someone like Thomas could really help Hurts in that particular area. But I do agree we should not be looking to trade for Thomas.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You don't really mean that though surely? Look I am not saying trade for Thomas but bringing in a really good WR who has produced at the top level in the NFL will absolutely help Hurts. He needs a reliable WR to get the ball too. We have heard and read during TC that our WRs are struggling especially with those 50/50 balls and someone like Thomas could really help Hurts in that particular area. But I do agree we should not be looking to trade for Thomas.

I think we have an unproven group of WRs. I do not believe we have a bad group of WRs. I believe Hurts has been working with these guys and they are growing together, but he is not an established QB that you can just plug in a savvy vet WR and all of a sudden the offense is better. With a guy like Flacco, probably, but Hurts is still finding his own way as a player.

Think back to when we brought in Golden Tate. It just forced us to move other guys around and the offense didn't improve. Thomas is currently a malcontent on his team. You don't think his QB play is part of the reason? Hurts isn't Brees and I highly doubt the change of scenery to Philly would make Thomas a happy camper. 

53 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Thomas is currently a malcontent on his team. You don't think his QB play is part of the reason

He's a malcontent about QBs he hasn't even played a whole season with yet? Makes sense

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I think we have an unproven group of WRs. I do not believe we have a bad group of WRs. I believe Hurts has been working with these guys and they are growing together, but he is not an established QB that you can just plug in a savvy vet WR and all of a sudden the offense is better. With a guy like Flacco, probably, but Hurts is still finding his own way as a player.

I think we have a complete unknown at WR. They may be good, they may be bad we simply don't know. We hope Smith is going to be a stud. We have seen Reagor struggle and we have seen Watkins flash a little. Outside of that we haven't seen a lot though. I think overall we have a below average group that could be good if Smith pans out.

9 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He's a malcontent about QBs he hasn't even played a whole season with yet? Makes sense

I said it's part of the reason. How many TDs did he have last year? Most of his games were without Brees. The saints didn't do anything to immediately improve their QB situation. He's coming off a year where he struggled with injuries, team discipline, and bad QB play. Now, he's a malcontent that wants out. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think we have a complete unknown at WR. They may be good, they may be bad we simply don't know. We hope Smith is going to be a stud. We have seen Reagor struggle and we have seen Watkins flash a little. Outside of that we haven't seen a lot though. I think overall we have a below average group that could be good if Smith pans out.

What if Reagor, Fulgham and Watkins also pan out? We already know what Ward is. 

21 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I said it's part of the reason. How many TDs did he have last year? Most of his games were without Brees. The saints didn't do anything to immediately improve their QB situation. He's coming off a year where he struggled with injuries, team discipline, and bad QB play. Now, he's a malcontent that wants out. 

He only started 5 games in regular season 4 without Brees and that was his best games. . So being a malcontent in a year that him and Brees got hurt is ridiculous on his part of true. 

16 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He only started 5 games in regular season 4 without Brees and that was his best games. . So being a malcontent in a year that him and Brees got hurt is ridiculous on his part of true. 

He started the game where Brees got hurt early as well. If having QBs that can't get you the ball in the endzone is favorable to a possession WR, then I guess I'm wrong. Michael Thomas is extremely happy to be a saint right now. 

On 8/13/2021 at 7:44 PM, Cheesteakitis said:

no thanks 

I've never been impessed with the guy, little to no separation, lucky for him Brees didn't need a lot of separation to stick it on him.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

He started the game where Brees got hurt early as well. If having QBs that can't get you the ball in the endzone is favorable to a possession WR, then I guess I'm wrong. Michael Thomas is extremely happy to be a saint right now. 

He doesn't even know what he is getting from Winston he didn't play last year. It's not about being right or wrong here at all. 

Brees was 40 years old when Thomas signed that contract he had to know Brees was leaving soon. 

So he is pissed that he got hurt and Brees retired even know Thomas knew that was probably gonna be the happen. Sounds irrational to be pissed about 

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

I've never been impessed with the guy, little to no separation, lucky for him Brees didn't need a lot of separation to stick it on him.

Oh man, you better sit down for this.... I'm in agreement with you again! 

That's why I said Thomas was lucky to have  Brees basically handing the ball off to him in his chest on his endless amount of slants . 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He doesn't even know what he is getting from Winston he didn't play last year. It's not about being right or wrong here at all. 

Brees was 40 years old when Thomas signed that contract he had to know Brees was leaving soon. 

So he is pissed that he got hurt and Brees retired even know Thomas knew that was probably gonna be the happen. Sounds irrational to be pissed about 

There's really no reason for him to be pissed, but he is. He's a typical diva, malcontent that craves attention and since he's coming off a season where everything went wrong and his stats were pedestrian, he's making a scene to keep himself in the news. We've seen this many times. If the saints would have made an effort to find an upgrade over Hill (not a real QB) and Winston (the 2nd coming of Vinny Testaverde), maybe he'd have a different mindset. Obviously, the QB factor is speculation on my part. We do know he's pissed at his team. I don't think either one of us believes the Eagles should acquire him in a trade. My reasons are that we have a lot of money tied up on the offensive and defensive lines and we are set up currently to get a (salary) break at WR for the next couple years, which will help offset the dead money we are paying on Jeffery and Jackson.

9 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

There's really no reason for him to be pissed, but he is. He's a typical diva, malcontent that craves attention and since he's coming off a season where everything went wrong and his stats were pedestrian, he's making a scene to keep himself in the news. We've seen this many times. If the saints would have made an effort to find an upgrade over Hill (not a real QB) and Winston (the 2nd coming of Vinny Testaverde), maybe he'd have a different mindset. Obviously, the QB factor is speculation on my part. We do know he's pissed at his team. I don't think either one of us believes the Eagles should acquire him in a trade. My reasons are that we have a lot of money tied up on the offensive and defensive lines and we are set up currently to get a (salary) break at WR for the next couple years, which will help offset the dead money we are paying on Jeffery and Jackson.

Well the feeling is mutual cause the Saints are pissed at him too for waiting so long to get ankle surgery.

According to reports from a day ago they said things are getting better though. 

I think they were hoping they could eventually groom someone behind Brees. It's not like they didn't try but, unfortunately it was with 1st round QBs that already busted and couldn't be salvaged

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

What if Reagor, Fulgham and Watkins also pan out? We already know what Ward is. 

I don't think all 3 will but hey that's just my opinion bud. I think Reagor may be an OK WR (I really hope I'm wrong) and I don't think Fulgham is going to be very good. But we shall see.