Sign in to follow this  
barho

Climate Change Disasters

10 minutes ago, toolg said:

Yes. Climate is not weather, they are distinct. However, the weather might be a clue the climate is changing. An incredibly strong quad-state tornado is rare, even more rare in December. Is tornado alley moving east? As you say, it is complicated. More data is needed.

Unless you believe the old man in the sky controls all the weather. Then climate change has nothing to do with it. There was another thread for that. LINK

You can ask Him if and when you may meet Him.

5 minutes ago, sameaglesfan said:

You can ask Him if and when you may meet Him.

so you believe god was just bowling ? 

21 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

so you believe god was just bowling ? 

He must have punished them. Typically it means they had too much butt sex or something.

• Haha 2

Oof. This is heartbreaking.

A new high temperature record was set in the Arctic in June 2020 - recently confirmed. Over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, MidMoFo said:

Yep, do YOU know why tornado outbreaks are rare in December?

I also know that it's been eight years since the last F5/EF5 tornado in the US.   Compare that to the five that hit in 1953,(including one in December), four in 1968 and SEVEN in the SAME DAY, across four different states in 1974.  Had that happened this year,  I'm sure you would have been slitting your own wrists or more likely, looking to slit the throats of anyone you deem non-leftist enough.

Certainly take an interest and fight for change, but also learn where these events appear in context.  Otherwise, someone saying BOO is going to cause you to have a heart attack.

And as usual for you types, else you'll call me a liar - https://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/f5torns.html

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CountBlah said:

I also know that it's been eight years since the last F5/EF5 tornado in the US.   Compare that to the five that hit in 1953,(including one in December), four in 1968 and SEVEN in the SAME DAY, across four different states in 1974.  Had that happened this year,  I'm sure you would have been slitting your own wrists or more likely, looking to slit the throats of anyone you deem non-leftist enough.

Certainly take an interest and fight for change, but also learn where these events appear in context.  Otherwise, someone saying BOO is going to cause you to have a heart attack.

And as usual for you types, else you'll call me a liar - https://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/f5torns.html

Damn dude… have a Prozac.

I’m not a climate nutter just because I posted about a December tornado outbreak in a climate change disaster thread. 

Is THIS one storm system undeniable proof of climate change? No.

My moment of truth when I thought there might be something to climate change was down at Dauphin Island Alabama when the island roads were covered during high tide. I have some friends I respect from Alabama, but I still like to give them ish that they’re only a square or two above Arkansans and West Virginians on the ID 10-T chart. I also think the people of Alabama were smart enough not to build roads below high tide levels. So unless the island is sinking, ocean levels must be rising. Right?

We can argue whether it’s caused by cow farts and coal plants or if it’s just the planet atmosphere going through a natural change, but does it really matter who wins the argument?
My interest is more about what effects it may cause and is there anything FEASIBLE we can do about it?

55 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

Damn dude… have a Prozac.

I’m not a climate nutter just because I posted about a December tornado outbreak in a climate change disaster thread. 

Is THIS one storm system undeniable proof of climate change? No.

My moment of truth when I thought there might be something to climate change was down at Dauphin Island Alabama when the island roads were covered during high tide. I have some friends I respect from Alabama, but I still like to give them ish that they’re only a square or two above Arkansans and West Virginians on the ID 10-T chart. I also think the people of Alabama were smart enough not to build roads below high tide levels. So unless the island is sinking, ocean levels must be rising. Right?

We can argue whether it’s caused by cow farts and coal plants or if it’s just the planet atmosphere going through a natural change, but does it really matter who wins the argument?
My interest is more about what effects it may cause and is there anything FEASIBLE we can do about it?

Haven't posted here/old place, in a LONG time.    Was at home today and had a couple minutes to blow and you got the brunt of it 😜

Just one of my pet peeves,  people pointing out an occurrence and declaring victory.  I'm not saying you did that, but got close enough that I grabbed it and ran with it.

Context is everything.  When a strong hurricane season comes, it's PROOF.  When a season is less productive, it's crickets.   When an EF5 tornado appears,  it's PROOF. When there wasn't an EF5 for eight year, it's crickets.

Like I said, pet peeve.

Feasible is pumping an endless supply of money into alternative energy, as money is being printing like crazy, with no backing.  This approach seems to surprisingly be making an impact into oil/coal.  That's a start.  But it really doesn't mean jack when China pollutes like mad and a single cargo ship pumps out as much pollution as 50k cars.  Pick and industry(BIG ASS CONTAINER SHIPS?), figure out a less polluting solution that is still economically viable, and mandate it.  But then again, won't matter as China will give everyone the finger and still do what it's doing.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CountBlah said:

Haven't posted here/old place, in a LONG time.    Was at home today and had a couple minutes to blow and you got the brunt of it 😜

Just one of my pet peeves,  people pointing out an occurrence and declaring victory.  I'm not saying you did that, but got close enough that I grabbed it and ran with it.

Context is everything.  When a strong hurricane season comes, it's PROOF.  When a season is less productive, it's crickets.   When an EF5 tornado appears,  it's PROOF. When there wasn't an EF5 for eight year, it's crickets.

Like I said, pet peeve.

Feasible is pumping an endless supply of money into alternative energy, as money is being printing like crazy, with no backing.  This approach seems to surprisingly be making an impact into oil/coal.  That's a start.  But it really doesn't mean jack when China pollutes like mad and a single cargo ship pumps out as much pollution as 50k cars.  Pick and industry(BIG ASS CONTAINER SHIPS?), figure out a less polluting solution that is still economically viable, and mandate it.  But then again, won't matter as China will give everyone the finger and still do what it's doing.

No worries. It the political… "climate” we live in.

I’ll see myself out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CountBlah said:

Like I said, pet peeve.

I agree with this post 100 percent. The funny thing about this debate is both sides do the exact same thing as far as using each instance or event as "proof".

• Like 2

Rand Paul only has compassion for disaster victims when the disaster hits his state. He should not be asking to spend other people's money. Let somebody else champion the cause.

28 minutes ago, toolg said:

Rand Paul only has compassion for disaster victims when the disaster hits his state. He should not be asking to spend other people's money. Let somebody else champion the cause.

Read the article and I guess he wanted to he finding to be taking from the foreign aid budget.   Which I get.  But those are things that need to be discussed during budget time.  Not when people are in a disaster situation.  

I like the idea of foreign aid funding(which there seems to always be plenty of) being utilized to fund domestic disaster relief efforts automatically so Americans can get immediate assistance.  

But yeah rand isn’t looking good in this one.   

1 minute ago, SNOORDA said:

Read the article and I guess he wanted to he finding to be taking from the foreign aid budget.   Which I get.  But those are things that need to be discussed during budget time.  Not when people are in a disaster situation.  

I like the idea of foreign aid funding(which there seems to always be plenty of) being utilized to fund domestic disaster relief efforts automatically so Americans can get immediate assistance.  

But yeah rand isn’t looking good in this one.   

Rand just isn't living in reality. That's not how it works. He can wait for next year's budget, when disaster relief can be reconciled against foreign aid... But Kentucky needs the help right now. Luckily there are better heads in Washington that can deliver to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toolg said:

Rand just isn't living in reality. That's not how it works. He can wait for next year's budget, when disaster relief can be reconciled against foreign aid... But Kentucky needs the help right now. Luckily there are better heads in Washington that can deliver to them.

Could it be that because he knows his no vote isn’t going to stop the aid from going out, and that his issue isn’t about the aid itself but about where the funding comes from, that it’s a win/win to go on record that the funding sources for domestic aid are coming from the wrong funding sources? 

obviously when it’s his own state it’s not win/win to not ask for the funding.

yeah it’s hypocritical but it is chess not checkers.  

36 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Could it be that because he knows his no vote isn’t going to stop the aid from going out, and that his issue isn’t about the aid itself but about where the funding comes from, that it’s a win/win to go on record that the funding sources for domestic aid are coming from the wrong funding sources? 

If so, it shows Paul lacks basic understanding of how his vote in the process works. It's purely a political move, using the headlines from the disaster. Perhaps it works on a bunch of rubes that are totally ignorant about actually legislating. When Americans are suffering, it isn't the time or place to make a stand about the budgeting processes. Those discussions already happened.

45 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

3 minutes ago, toolg said:

If so, it shows Paul lacks basic understanding of how his vote in the process works. It's purely a political move, using the headlines from the disaster. Perhaps it works on a bunch of rubes that are totally ignorant about actually legislating. When Americans are suffering, it isn't the time or place to make a stand about the budgeting processes. Those discussions already happened.

Playing chess would Paul working the budget committee to allow FEMA funds and foreign relief funds to supplement one another based in need.

Playing checkers is Paul casting a no vote just for posturing when he knows it will have zero effect.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

spacer.png

So as the population boomed after ww2, vaccine research was developed, irrigation and well drilling technology advanced and electricity spread throughout the country… less people per 100k died from epidemic, drought and extreme heat.

0AA0CF51-BD30-4B0E-A38E-0E9B885190FF.jpeg

• Like 2

Wildfires in Colorado

Today, the highest temperature ever recorded in Australia was reached, tying the record set in 1960.  It is also the highest record temperature for the Southern Hemisphere. 

5 hours ago, toolg said:

Today, the highest temperature ever recorded in Australia was reached, tying the record set in 1960.  It is also the highest record temperature for the Southern Hemisphere. 

But global warming isn't real... It's very much flat earth stuff... 🙄

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But global warming isn't real... It's very much flat earth stuff... 🙄

Anthropogenic climate change is certainly happening.

But record high temps 60 years apart doesn't really add much evidence for it.

• Like 1